Thread: Hurricane Sandy: Aftermath

Hybrid View

Hurricane Sandy: Aftermath

Folks just wanted to start a thread to allow 'orgers who live in the path of Hurricane Sandy to sound off and notify us of their status and situation since the hurricane hit. It seems we here in NY are in the clear as city responders are continuing rescue and damage assessments will begin for the next few days here in NYC.

With no way to get to work the next few days (although my job keeps telling me to report in as usual) I have been trying to help neighbors, friends and family in the immediate vicinity as well as reaching out over the social networks to make sure everyone is ok, or simply has someone to talk to to help them get through any damage or loss or simply trying to process all this. Not much was incurred in my area so thankfully I still have power and a means of communication.

So please, anyone in the areas affected and able to sound off, let us know if you're ok or you need some kind of assistance or help with information, getting in touch with friends or family. I know Kelly (Princess Adora NJ) has said she is ok and everything is well, but knowing a few people like Rob Base, BrianOzone (who has a wife expecting) BCRDuke, and many names I can't remember off hand right now who live in the area may have been affected somehow.

UPDATE: for anyone who needs living assistance you can text SHELTER and your zip code to 43362 (4FEMA) and they will direct you to the nearest location!!! So Sorry for the late response but I still hope that if family and friends haven't helped this will!
    Last edited by Nemisythe; October 30, 2012 at 11:25pm.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Movie mayhem!
    astoria/woodside seems pretty untouched. My old hood Rego Park looks pretty bad though

Heroic Warrior
    Hi everyone. I hope that you are all safe and out of harms way after this terrible situation.

I live in Bensonhurst in zone B right behind the Belt Parkway. We are usually safe in extreme weather but due to the storm surge at around 8 last night we had sewer and drain back ups. I live in a basement apartment in my parents house. Both the front and back drains had back ups not from the rain but from the high tide. The front of the house and the street looked like a river and the water was over waist deep. Now the drains are right in front of both our front and back doors. We had to rush in and get some clothes and belongings really quick before crawling out a window that faces the backyard. It was horrible. Thank goodness my parents were upstairs and that we had a safe place to stay.

This morning we saw what the actual damage was. The garage was flooded and affected out boiler. National Grid should be coming to fix it on 11/3. Fingers crossed. We have no hot water but at least we have electricity. The damage to the apartment was minimal. No flooding but water damage. We didn't lose a lot of stuff. We just need to clean and repair some things. Spent all morning cleaning the front of the house.

If anyone has any advice on how to get assistance from FEMA please share what info you have. I have never been in a situation like this and any help would be appreciated. My hands may be full at the moment but if you need any help please don't be afraid to ask. Send me a PM. I don't bite. Maybe after things get somewhat back to normal we can get together for a drink or a bite to eat and share stories. Thanks guys and stay safe.

I just got back from a cruise in the Caribbean and we were on the outer edges of Hurricane Sandy the entire time. We had to re-route several times and had an excursion cancelled, but all-in-all we were very lucky with only 50mph winds 3 days of our trip and 10 foot waves.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those effected
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I just got back from a cruise in the Caribbean and we were on the outer edges of Hurricane Sandy the entire time. We had to re-route several times and had an excursion cancelled, but all-in-all we were very lucky with only 50mph winds 3 days of our trip and 10 foot waves.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those effected
    I forgot to mention that our cruise ship lost power for about 30-40 minutes while out in the ocean. It was a very scary situation, but luckily all was ok.

I continue to pray for all of those affected.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; October 31, 2012 at 03:27pm.

As for FEMA, contact your home owners insurance; they will have all the information you will need. To probably speed things along, try contacting an agency outside your area for that information.

You may want to hit these links:
    www.fema.gov
    http://www.fema.gov/news-release/fed...ter-recovery-2
    http://www.fema.gov/disaster/4086
    http://www.disasterassistance.gov/
    http://www.redcross.org/find-help/shelter

Being in Louisiana, storms are not unfamiliar. I hope all works out. A word of warning, storms bring help, but they also bring cons artist. Just be careful who you trust. Check with the National Guard, they may have MRE and Fresh Water drops. I would be careful about drinking tap water until there is an all clear given for your area.
    Last edited by Southzen; October 30, 2012 at 04:53pm.
    Moderately Geeky: The Podcast
    Available on Podbead, iTunes, and Stitcher smart radio.

Glad you made it mostly unscathed Cringer; I know a few people that life on one of the Jersey islands and they've sent work they've most likely lost everything and they won't let them back to there house due to downed lines and other damage form the overwash between ocean and river....horrible to hear.

Heroic Warrior
    I turned out fine. The only bad thing was when we lost power today...for 25 minutes.

I didnt even lose power. And the only issue was my roomie got scratched by a fallen tree limb which was no larger than a yard stick. All fine in Central New York. Though I gotta love how the local media played it up like crazy.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by cringer75 View Post
    Hi everyone. I hope that you are all safe and out of harms way after this terrible situation.

I live in Bensonhurst in zone B right behind the Belt Parkway. We are usually safe in extreme weather but due to the storm surge at around 8 last night we had sewer and drain back ups. I live in a basement apartment in my parents house. Both the front and back drains had back ups not from the rain but from the high tide. The front of the house and the street looked like a river and the water was over waist deep. Now the drains are right in front of both our front and back doors. We had to rush in and get some clothes and belongings really quick before crawling out a window that faces the backyard. It was horrible. Thank goodness my parents were upstairs and that we had a safe place to stay.

This morning we saw what the actual damage was. The garage was flooded and affected out boiler. National Grid should be coming to fix it on 11/3. Fingers crossed. We have no hot water but at least we have electricity. The damage to the apartment was minimal. No flooding but water damage. We didn't lose a lot of stuff. We just need to clean and repair some things. Spent all morning cleaning the front of the house.

If anyone has any advice on how to get assistance from FEMA please share what info you have. I have never been in a situation like this and any help would be appreciated. My hands may be full at the moment but if you need any help please don't be afraid to ask. Send me a PM. I don't bite. Maybe after things get somewhat back to normal we can get together for a drink or a bite to eat and share stories. Thanks guys and stay safe.
    Sorry I'm just getting back to you now but you call text Shelter and your zip code to 43362 (4FEMA) and they will help. I hope someone got to you in time before this one.

Glad to hear everyone has their health and am terribly sorry for anyone who has lost.....

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Here in the Cincinnati region we got enough wind and rain to be of concern though the power didn't go out. Shows how far inland this thing reached though.

Master of New Adventures!
    While I'm in no way even attempting to equate what we've gone through here on the northern Indiana shore of Lake Michigan to the devastation on the east coast, here we are seven hundred miles from New York City and New Jersey and we experienced twenty-five foot high waves on Lake Michigan brought to us courtesy of fifty mph winds. Trees are downed all over out little village and our home lost power for twenty-three hours. Fortunately we have fireplaces in our home so we kept them going, our family camping out in the living room.

Again, I want to make it clear I'm not complaining and that I have deep empathy and sympathy for all those who have suffered and continue to suffer on the east coast. I'm only posting this as an indication of the immense power of this storm. Events such as this serve, tragically, to indicate that Nature is the landlord and we are all only renters.

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    We had some pretty strong winds here in NE Pennsylvania all day Monday. I'm surprised our power didn't go out until around 11:30pm Monday night. Usually if I sneeze in the wrong direction, our power goes out. It came back on yesterday a little after 6:30pm. Apparently we're some of the lucky ones in that respect. There are others around us whose power went out before ours and they're still out. It wouldn't be so bad but for the fact that our heat is electric and it was getting pretty cold in here. I realize people in NJ and NY had it a lot worse, as did people in southern PA. I know the Allentown area was particularly hard hit.
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    While I'm in no way even attempting to equate what we've gone through here on the northern Indiana shore of Lake Michigan to the devastation on the east coast, here we are seven hundred miles from New York City and New Jersey and we experienced twenty-five foot high waves on Lake Michigan brought to us courtesy of fifty mph winds. Trees are downed all over out little village and our home lost power for twenty-three hours. Fortunately we have fireplaces in our home so we kept them going, our family camping out in the living room.

Again, I want to make it clear I'm not complaining and that I have deep empathy and sympathy for all those who have suffered and continue to suffer on the east coast. I'm only posting this as an indication of the immense power of this storm. Events such as this serve, tragically, to indicate that Nature is the landlord and we are all only renters.
    Well I do not think anyone would take it for anything less than this truly illustrates the monster this storm was. I for one, would not know how far it went as I have been dealing with immediate assistance to others within my geographical range if it wasn't for anyone posting so my thoughts go out to ANYONE who has been a victim or recipient of this storm no matter what degree you experienced. I just hope that you are all in the best of health, safe and able to continue with your life. If not I hope that assistance has got to you or is on the way. and I hope information in regards to getting help or aid has reached you.

For anyone looking to contribute you can text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate 10 dollars.

You can check the FEMA website as well as text SHELTER and your Zip Code to 43362.

For NJ residents (Please forgive me for putting the link but it's the only way) for anyone who worked in the disaster areas, you can collect unemployment here: www.njuifile.net and you must file by Dec.1

For NY resdients: 855-697-7263 for Emergency Assistance in NYC

And please where accessible contact your local and community boards as well as church or any community group!

Good Luck to you all and hope it all works out!

home untouched. ortley beach no so lucky...
    just depressing... seems like i lost my wii and xbox down there too most likely . If I new it was going to be anywhere near this bad we would have prepared more..

no power still at home..only on generator at the office
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Hey guys....I got hit hard.
    Lost my car my wifes car got 3 windows smashed.
    Still no power
    Basement flooded everything destroyed.
    The He-Man room got destroyed. Alot of my collection is gone. I was crying. Its so sad we lost so much.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Please accept my condolences. I hope you get power soon.

You can't take any of it with you when go, so try to be happy and enjoy whatever parts of the day that can be enjoyed..
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I'm very sorry to hear that - I hope you get power back soon and are able to save as much as you can.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    Hey guys....I got hit hard.
    Lost my car my wifes car got 3 windows smashed.
    Still no power
    Basement flooded everything destroyed.
    The He-Man room got destroyed. Alot of my collection is gone. I was crying. Its so sad we lost so much.
    That's very sad to hear. I am so very sorry to hear that Brian

Master of New Adventures!
    So sad, Brian. It's just awful.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hey all, my house in Cranford was out of power for 7 days, but we are OK. My Seaside Heights house got rocked. The garage was ripped off completely and all my surf boards and body boards took their last ride with Sandy, 7 boards gone! We are allowed to go back into Seaside to pull things out on Monday, hopefully there is no structural damage to the foundation or contamination. I live right across the street from the beach, first house, so we really got clobbered. I grew up down there and know a lot of people in Ortley, you guys got it worse. From the arial maps, north seaside was bad... where I am... and as u go farther north into Ortley, it's a mess. Now it's snowing outside... ***? I hope everyone recovers ASAP!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    Hey all, my house in Cranford was out of power for 7 days, but we are OK. My Seaside Heights house got rocked. The garage was ripped off completely and all my surf boards and body boards took their last ride with Sandy, 7 boards gone! We are allowed to go back into Seaside to pull things out on Monday, hopefully there is no structural damage to the foundation or contamination. I live right across the street from the beach, first house, so we really got clobbered. I grew up down there and know a lot of people in Ortley, you guys got it worse. From the arial maps, north seaside was bad... where I am... and as u go farther north into Ortley, it's a mess. Now it's snowing outside... ***? I hope everyone recovers ASAP!

I'm sorry for your troubles and hope you can recover this adversity and regain power quickly. Good luck, our thoughts are with you.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    at least you guys get to go in, thanks to sink holes, who knows when we'll be able to return . i'm also worried about contamination, mostly sewage getting mixed in with any ocean water that gets into the house...how will we be able to know, or clean it up so it's liveable again?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Thanks guys it just sucks so much....im really depressed and my wife is about to give birth any minute.....unreal
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app