Thread: I'd love to see a Swamp Thing reboot

Heroic Warrior

I'd love to see a Swamp Thing reboot

DC Films and New Line Cinema should do a new adaptation of the popular DC comics character as a movie.

I want to see this based on Alan Moore's amazing take on the character with effects by Kurtzman and Co. and WETA with Alex Proyas of The Crow/Dark City/I Robot fame as director with Guillermo Del Toro, Zack Snyder, David Goyer and Christopher Nolan as producers with Del Toro and Proyas as writer.

What are your ideal cast?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Swampy is one of my two favorite DC characters; I started reading his book with #4 of the original series. While I thought Moore's take was amazing, I don't think it would work well in a movie. There's way too much background and explanation needed to make the Moore approach work in a single movie. In short, the character would be far more relatable if he was Alec Holland, rather than a plant elemental who thought he was Alec Holland, and that's what you would need for the film to appeal to the audience. An approach like that taken in the TV series, where he was definitely Holland with a lot of the attributes of the Moore version, would be the best take for a good movie, I think. As for cast, I imagine they'd go CGI for Swampy himself, so I don't imagine **** Durock would be reprising the role physically (although I think a good case could be made for him in a well done costume like the TV show had; Hellboy was a lot better with Perlman actually made up than if he'd been CGI). Wouldn't mind him doing the voice, though.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

As long as it isn't the NU-52 Swamp Thing.

But why does everything have to be a movie? Movies usually suck--as evidenced by the Hulk movies and the recent Avengers movie. Just give me an old-fashioned TV show...

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Movies usually suck--as evidenced by the recent Avengers movie.
    I agree! The Avengers was horrible!

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    As long as it isn't the NU-52 Swamp Thing.

But why does everything have to be a movie? Movies usually suck--as evidenced by the Hulk movies and the recent Avengers movie. Just give me an old-fashioned TV show...
    LOL. That "recent Avengers movie" made 1.5 billion dollars at the box office AND is highly-reviewed. Popularity doesn't necessarily mean quality, but I think the fumes from those dollar store robots have clouded your judgment on this one.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

I'm afraid of the over-reliance on CGI. Swamp Thing would likely be a CGI cartoon and look as bad as much of the Star Wars prequel characters did. Thank God Abrams is going back to Star Wars' roots and using more practical effects, including puppets.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    DC Films and New Line Cinema should do a new adaptation of the popular DC comics character as a movie.

I want to see this based on Alan Moore's amazing take on the character with effects by Kurtzman and Co. and WETA with Alex Proyas of The Crow/Dark City/I Robot fame as director with Guillermo Del Toro, Zack Snyder, David Goyer and Christopher Nolan as producers with Del Toro and Proyas as writer.

What are your ideal cast?
    Yes to Del Toro, and I'd want him to write it too. No to everyone else. And I'd like to see him keep the effects as practical as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternia Burning View Post
    LOL. That "recent Avengers movie" made 1.5 billion dollars at the box office AND is highly-reviewed. Popularity doesn't necessarily mean quality, but I think the fumes from those dollar store robots have clouded your judgment on this one.

I do like the 3 3/4 inch figure line and have about 6 of them, but the actual movie did nothing for me. The popularity of it just goes to show the sad state of movies. All the action looked digitized and fake.

I enjoy the heck out of the Swamp Thing TV series (although I do not have Vol. 3). It was simple, not trying to make each episode "too epic" and had good acting. It was hurt by idiotic plot-subjects (religion, afterlife, black magic, demon possession, etc.) but the episodes that didn't have any of that nonsense were very good.

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I just want to go back to Swamp Thing being a mutated Alec Holland. That "swamp spirit with Holland's memories" thing they cooked up was the stupidest thing I think they could have done. I actually like it less than "Terry is Bruce's son because some organization rewrote Terry's father's genetic code, because Bruce Timm doesn't know what recessive genes are"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I just want to go back to Swamp Thing being a mutated Alec Holland. That "swamp spirit with Holland's memories" thing they cooked up was the stupidest thing I think they could have done. I actually like it less than "Terry is Bruce's son because some organization rewrote Terry's father's genetic code, because Bruce Timm doesn't know what recessive genes are"

This.

I was never a fan of the plant elemental storyline. Alec = Swamp Thing.

Heroic Warrior
    I love Swampy and I think this is a great idea-- I'm sure it'll happen at some point. However, I'm pretty burnt out on modern superhero movies. We have 2 Swamp Thing movies, a TV show, a cartoon, and years of years of comics. Some of this stuff is great, some bad, and some hokey as hell but entertaining. I'm actually quite fond of the movies, though I'd never defend them as "good." They have more charm and soul than anything we'd get today. I'll watch them any time they're on cable-- the 1st one has been popping up on IFC quite a bit lately.

I grew up reading comics, pining for movies of my favorite characters. I'll pay to go see Man of Steel or whatever for the spectacle, but you know what's better? Some old Superman comics.

Gorilla beastussapien Beastmangler's Avatar
    Maybe he'll make an appearance on the new Constantine show. I love Swamp Thing and though I too think Swamp Thing should be "Alec Holland," I can't deny Alan Moore's tremendous run on the book. That is some classic storytelling there!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I'm afraid of the over-reliance on CGI. Swamp Thing would likely be a CGI cartoon and look as bad as much of the Star Wars prequel characters did. Thank God Abrams is going back to Star Wars' roots and using more practical effects, including puppets.
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarliehog View Post
    I love Swampy and I think this is a great idea-- I'm sure it'll happen at some point. However, I'm pretty burnt out on modern superhero movies. We have 2 Swamp Thing movies, a TV show, a cartoon, and years of years of comics. Some of this stuff is great, some bad, and some hokey as hell but entertaining. I'm actually quite fond of the movies, though I'd never defend them as "good." They have more charm and soul than anything we'd get today. I'll watch them any time they're on cable-- the 1st one has been popping up on IFC quite a bit lately.

I grew up reading comics, pining for movies of my favorite characters. I'll pay to go see Man of Steel or whatever for the spectacle, but you know what's better? Some old Superman comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This.

I was never a fan of the plant elemental storyline. Alec = Swamp Thing.
    No way, Alan Moore made the best take on Swamp Thing ever! the Alec Holland mutated thing is outdated and would not work today, it needs Moore's take on the character and that's what the readers of the 80s to today embrace.

Who thinks Alex Proyas is a good choice to direct?

Definitely would like to see a new movie...but he has to be the mutant. Elemental Swamp thing doesn't work for me.

Heroic Warrior
    Why do you want the mutant? so outdated for today, elemental is more fresh and unique even to modern audiences, this is not the 70s anymore

Heroic Warrior
    No way, Alan Moore made the best take on Swamp Thing ever! the Alec Holland mutated thing is outdated and would not work today, it needs Moore's take on the character and that's what the readers of the 80s to today embrace.

Who thinks Alex Proyas is a good choice to direct?
    Why wouldn't it work? Man becomes monster is a PRETTY common trope. Nothing really outdated or unbelievable there. Heck, it's pretty much poison ivy's story with a bit more sexy tossed in.

I have the first tpb of Moores story, and I REALLY didn't like them. Too.... boring for the most part. Too cerebral to make a decent movie or series. Swampy really didn't do a whole lot but hang out in the background. Probably got better as it went on... but that early stuff where he reveals that Everything you thought you knew about the character was wrong... because he said so and the original origin was dumb... just struck me as overly condescending.

I'm not a fan of new writers coming in and just messing with things... just to mess with them.

Why do you want the mutant? so outdated for today, elemental is more fresh and unique even to modern audiences, this is not the 70s anymore
    But I am nostalgic towards the old movies and TV shows (live action and cartoon). Never got into the newer comics. Honestly the appeal was the scientist having the accident and being trapped in a "monster" plant body while maintaining total control of his faculties....unlike the Hulk who is a monster with little self control. As for out dated...I disagree. So does box office numbers....mutants have been doing pretty good...lol.

That's right! We should be only using 80s concepts - they're way more modern.

Look, I love Moore's take on Swamp Thing, but there is no way to make a coherent 2 hour movie using his ideas and still fit a complete story in the timespan.

The Wein/Wrightson version is much more tailor made for movies.

Heroic Warrior
    Moore MADE THE best ST stories ever and his elemental creature is quite unique and fantasy-esque than science fiction as that is why i like them.

Too boring? you have ADD or something, they are for thinking people and they are the ones i grew up with The Moore stories are basically intelligent and well written stories that earn him to be a genius and i agree that Holland's was dumb. I think it's more unique to make Swampy like a magical creature in a fantasy like thing as the movie should be a fantasy movie.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; May 30, 2014 at 01:23am.

Heroic Warrior
    Moore MADE THE best ST stories ever and his elemental creature is quite unique and fantasy-esque than science fiction as that is why i like them.

Too boring? you have ADD or something, they are for thinking people and they are the ones i grew up with The Moore stories are basically intelligent and well written stories that earn him to be a genius and i agree that Holland's was dumb. I think it's more unique to make Swampy like a magical creature in a fantasy like thing as the movie should be a fantasy movie.
    Meh....

They were written as a weird stepping stone. They had a ton of characters that had already existed, so when I stepped into the tpb I didn't know who half the characters were.

At the same time He made a massive point that everything that came before him was wrong and outdated and wasn't worth going back to check out... His Saga started in a weird limbo... And then half of it was more Abigails story then it was Swamp thing's....

Adrienne Barbeau - swamp bath, you are welcome.
    Your witness Mr. Birdbrain.