Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion

So where does that leave toys for the new movies? Will Disney go to Hasbro? Or will they go to Mattel since they already do some toys for Disney? Some 4H Star Wars toys would be pretty nice.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Hasbro has been in with Disney for a long time with Star Tours toys, I dont think they will go to Mattel, not to mention Hasbro still has the rights, I believe until 2018, so I am sure they will stick with them. I think this is the most awesome news from Star Wars in a long time. I didnt like how George was just sitting on the franchise and not exploring it through animated movies and other things. The TV show has been dead for years and the Clone Wars cartoon is fading. I am really excited about the prospects. I love a lot of the EU and would like to see much of it in movies too. I cant wait to see what they do. Funny how Star Wars get sold and they immediately announce new movies and MOTU still is floundering with Mattel. This shows how a hot property should be promoted and handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    No I did not see the Avengers, and the quality of films isn't my issue, as my last post stated.
    Well, I re-read your post and think you actually proved my point! I can't speak for ESPN, but ALL the other things you listed have been producing a VERY large amount of HIGH quality stuff in recent years, so I say all this stuff is in the right hands.

Honestly, see Avengers, the latest Muppet movie, almost any Pixar film and watch Once Upon A Time and/or Modern Family and I firmly believe you'll feel a lot better.
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; October 31, 2012 at 04:12am.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Sigh. Again, it has nothing to do with the quality. I don't care. My point was about Disney's media hegemony and control of everything. I likely can't say more as I'll be relegated to the tar swamp, but to this day I still can't believe more people are not disturbed by this corporation's power. And I'm troubled that the one property I've enjoyed my whole life--which is also one of the biggest of all time--has been bought up by them as well.
    Zero interest in Avengers or whatever those last two things are, sorry.

Movie mayhem!
    I actually like some of these casting ideas!? http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...isode-vii.html

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    The Avengers was awesome. Seriously. I'm not a big Avengers fan or anything, but that movie was pretty much everything a superhero movie should be. I think they have handled the Marvel property really well.

Now that being said... I just don't know what to think. I liked the Prequals, but the constant re-edits to the OT was just too much (why the hell would you insert the "Noooo" in ROTJ? Just 200% stupid). And I do think it is cool that Lucus is handing over his creation, that did surprise me. I may not agree with everything he has done, but I do have to give him props for letting go of what is essentially his life's work.

But Episode 7, 8 and 9? I just don't know. What would they even be about? The Zahn trilogy was fun just for the simple fact that it was the first Star wars in forever, but it really wasn't that "epic" when it all comes down to it. But what story do you tell with 7-9? 1-6 is essentially Vader's story. The main villain is Darth Sidious, and he is destroyed at the end. vader is redeemed and his story and Luke's ends. The Sith are destroyed. Balance has been brought and I assume that Luke will train a new generation of Jedi.

A new galactic conflict would just seem...lame. Oh here is an eeeeevil hidden Sith...lame. Oh noes, Luke's apprentice goes eeeevil....lame. The Emperor's personal chef makes a go at galactic conquest....lame. The Sith, the true Sith should be destroyed. One of the stupidest things about the EU is that somehow more Sith just keep popping up. They find some eeevil book or learn from a spooky ghost. Lame lame lame. Darth Sidious and Darth Vader were the last two. Period.

Of course I will reserve judgement until more is revealed, but it will have to be REALLY good for me to get excited. As it stands, I wish that Star wars just ended. Like harry Potter...his scar hadn't hurt and all was well. The end. Lucius malfoy doesn't try and take over...Voldermort's evil nephew doesnt show up or something equally stupid.

All is well.

Is that too much to ask? Last time I checked in the EU Luke was running around in exile, newly single after his wife jobbed to put his nephew over as a evil Sith (who was later killed by his twin sister). Can't the poor guy just...enjoy life? Nah let's keep throwing tragedy after tragedy after him because it is fun!

Gah no no. Episode any # scares me.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    WOW! This is big news!

I'm a big Star Wars fan and a big Disney fan!

Hopefully this works out - I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited. The thought of a new trilogy with characters from episodes 4-6 is crazy cool. I don't even want to think about all the merchandise coming our way!!! The Avengers was a good solid film, so was Tron - POTC is a good successful film series all from Disney - there is no way a new SW series would be screwed up any more than the prequels.

I'm seriously excited about this.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Because as we all know, when Disney can't make successful, endearing properties on their own anymore, (cough*Lizzie McGuire*cough*Hanna Montana*cough*High School Musical*cough*Air Buddies*cough*Lindsay Lohan*cough) buy up entities who are. After all, why bother trying to improve yourself, and do better when you can keep failing some more?

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    NEEEERRRRRRDDD RRAAAAAAAGGEEEE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISIIIIING!

And rogue preacher laughing as he watches it

I am a SW fan, but not as obsessive as some. Some people treat the original trilogy (in the original theatrical release) as if it were the King James Bible. Guess that is just a little funny to me.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; October 31, 2012 at 09:09am.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    It seems that most everyone is discussing this as if it will affect quality one way or the other. Many people have pointed at Avengers as if that is some indication of Disney's merits. As I understand it, Disney didn't have anything to do with the actual making of that movie. While they do own Marvel Studios now, I'm pretty sure the only process they've actually involved themselves in is the marketing and distribution aspect. The quality of the product is determined by the same people who were running the show before Disney bought them. From what I've read, Marvel comics is the same way. And I'm sure Lucasfilm will also be the same.

My main concern is the direction Disney will choose to take with the brand. If they decide to start spewing out movies, I'm afraid that eventually the legacy of the brand will be completely diluted in many people's eyes. Honestly, I've already started feeling that way about doubling down on Clone Wars (one of the more meaningless times in SW history) for more than a decade.

I realize that there are some that don't like the Expanded Universe, but that's been about the only saving grace of the brand for me. While there are certainly parts of the EU that are better than others, it concerns me to think that they may just disregard established continuity. If they start drastically rewriting the Star Wars lore, whether it's better or not, it completely undermines everything as far as I'm concerned. Once that line is crossed, I've forever lost faith. Once a precedent is set that something can just be done away with forever, I have no respect for the legitimacy of any story.

And "forever losing faith" brings us back again to Marvel comics. I'm very worried that Disney will try to take Star Wars away from Dark Horse and give it over to Marvel. Personally I think that would be a colossal mistake. Dark Horse has done a fantastic job with the property for twenty years and has consistently put out great comics. And while Marvel managed to escape financial bankruptcy, they have taken creative bankruptcy to a whole new level in the last decade (or more).

Sigh. Again, it has nothing to do with the quality. I don't care. My point was about Disney's media hegemony and control of everything. I likely can't say more as I'll be relegated to the tar swamp, but to this day I still can't believe more people are not disturbed by this corporation's power. And I'm troubled that the one property I've enjoyed my whole life--which is also one of the biggest of all time--has been bought up by them as well.
    I understand, I'm not afraid of it, but just like Mattel and Hasbro buying up most of the other toy manufacturers it closes the playing field a bit. we have playmates jazwares and other companies but when I was a kid there were SO MANY TOY COMPANIES it was awesome.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I have no doubt they could make a good movie with this. People also did the same thing when Square and Disney started the Kingdom hearts franchise. Also Lucas will be more hands off from the sounds of it. Lucas is great on creating a concept and needs someone else to direct and actually collect the ideas for him.

And so Lucas is again saying he always intended there to be nine movies?
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Look at the bright side of the force at least bay isn't involved lol!
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadod View Post
    Look at the bright side of the force at least bay isn't involved lol!
    Yet... Mu hu hu ha ha ha ha (cough cough)
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I don't have an issue given that Disney has done right with the Marvel movies (it is just a shame they have not put the foot down on Marvel to wipe out One More Day/Brand New Day from ever existing).
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I do understand the fear of Disney getting too big. But I have also joked, between MS, WB, and Disney there aren't many others.

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

But I don't see the problem if they're doing a GOOD job with the properties they have, which they are.

And dude, it doesn't affect me if you see Avengers or any of the other things I mentioned, but I suggested it because I genuinely think seeing them would relieve your stress, but if you'd rather just wallow in it then that's your call, but I hope you don't!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    And so Lucas is again saying he always intended there to be nine movies?
    He always said that. Its only recently when he's said things like "The nine movie plan was just a creation of the media" and stuff like that. But all you have to do is look at old interviews, some dating from as far back as 1979, to see that Lucas (always) intended there to be at least three trilogies. I personally think that after ROTS he genuinely got burned out by the whole Star Wars thing. So when he said things like "I'm done. No more Star Wars movies", he meant it. Only, he meant that he was done.

From what I've read, these story treatments for 7, 8 and 9 are supposedly very detailed, at least according to the CEO of Disney. So Lucas has clearly been working on these treatments for a while.

The interesting thing is what will they entail? I can really see one of two scenarios. The first scenario is a trilogy that takes place basically in real time. Meaning, a trilogy that takes place about thirty or so years after ROTJ. That way, all the original characters can return no problem. The second scenario I can see is a trilogy that takes place far into the future, maybe about fifty or sixty years after ROTJ. That way, they can go for new characters and a whole new cast. The only returning characters I can see will be the Droids. I want the former scenario myself, but I think the latter is probably more likely.

And these films won’t be “Disneyfied”. The CEO has already said that they’re going to treat Lucasfilm the same as they treat Marvel. Basically, they’re pretty much going to leave them to their own devices. So you’re not going to see Wookies whistling whilst they work. That’s why Lucas appointed Kathleen Kennedy as the new chairman of Lucasfilm. She’s a veteran film producer.

So excited about this!

Mark Hamill just Tweeted this:

Congratulations to George for today's mega-deal! Can't comment on Ep 7 before I have all the facts which are short supply right now-Patience

I'm NOT happy about this but oh well theirs not much any of us can do about it. Glad to see that we are going to get a 7th movie though.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I understand, I'm not afraid of it, but just like Mattel and Hasbro buying up most of the other toy manufacturers it closes the playing field a bit. we have playmates jazwares and other companies but when I was a kid there were SO MANY TOY COMPANIES it was awesome.
    Thanks for the comparison, and for getting what I meant. Competition is healthy, monopolies are not.

Mern-Ra: there's no 'stress' or 'wallowing' involved, I was making observations about the reality of modern media (a few corporations now own what dozens used to). Can't blame Disney for buying Star Wars, but I'm disappointed George sold it for the reasons pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    He always said that. Its only recently when he's said things like "The nine movie plan was just a creation of the media" and stuff like that. But all you have to do is look at old interviews, some dating from as far back as 1979, to see that Lucas (always) intended there to be at least three trilogies. I personally think that after ROTS he genuinely got burned out by the whole Star Wars thing. So when he said things like "I'm done. No more Star Wars movies", he meant it. Only, he meant that he was done.
    I have seen people from time to time ask if Lucas has Aspergers. I do think regardless it's hard to determine what he actually is or isn't saying in interviews, and fans run with it too far. What makes it worse he is very monotone and has quite a dry sense of humour and distinguishing his laugh as condescending or being silly is difficult to say the least.

Also I think his going back and forth on ideas as he doesn't believe in the death of the author doesn't exactly help the over all situation.

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Yet... Mu hu hu ha ha ha ha (cough cough)
    LOL, you read my mind!

Seriously though, I'm kinda on the fence about this. On one hand, it'll be interesting to see where they go with the new trilogy. I hoped for a long time that George would change his mind and make the last 3. Seemed like he was against that idea though, especially after the prequel trilogy and all the changes he made to the original trilogy. I remember reading a quote from him where he said something to the effect of "why would I want to make more when everybody keeps telling you how horrible you are?". I imagine he was a bit disillusioned about the whole thing. Seems like the first thing Disney went and did after the purchase was to announce more movies coming up, which is something Lucas seemed dead-set against, at least to me. Wonder if that "other thing" he's been dead-set against for the last 34 years will also see the light of day?

On the other hand, I think it would just be really weird to watch a new Star Wars film without the 20th Century Fox Fanfare starting it off. Hard to imagine one without the other, especially the slightly longer version that almost seems synonymous with Star Wars. Does Disney still use that "When You Wish Upon A Star" theme to introduce their films? I haven't seen any new Disney films in a long time.
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    With the live-action TV series dead in the water, Lucas did say he was retiring from Star Wars.
    as if he couldn't afford it.. he makes billions a year himself....this is going to suck

on the other side, nick is surprising me so far with turtles so it could be good
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV