Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I didn't realize Carrie was in bad shape, but I thought when she turned appeared on Smallville briefly that they were giving her the most unflattering lighting and make up. If she's doing better either way then I am glad to hear it.

RE Hamill, he's hard to recognize now. I had no idea this was him at first. (no, not the blond girl)

I won't begrudge him getting older, but I think he should adopt a beard and Jedi Master robes like Obi Wan had. I doubt very much Sir Alec was in superior shape when he played his role, those long elder's robes cover a lot.
    Well in the case of Carrie Fisher and the way she looks might be because of the side effects of the medication she takes for bi-polar.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I have no idea who this Thrawn guy is, but if he is from someone's fanfiction and not Lucas (and seeing as how he is not mentioned in any of the 6 movies, I am guessing he is fanfiction), I don't want the movies to have him at all. I want the movies to be made using original characters made just for the movies, not fanfiction characters made by some random people in their parents basement who have no idea on how to write a story without stealing someone else's universe.
    I personally have no attachment to most of the "expanded universe", so to an extent I'm with you on this. But I also don't necessarily care if they take elements from the EU and use them in the films if it works and make sense. This has already happened with the prequels (and while I am VERY critical of the prequels, it is not at all because of these things.

Check out this wiki page on the expanded universe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...d_the_prequels

Lower down on the page is a section called "Lucas's use of the expanded universe".

The name of the planet Coruscant originated in the Thrawn Trilogy which you are complaining up and down about here (I'm not familiar with that trilogy so I can't comment on it directly, but I have no problem with the planet name coming from it).

Also one of the fairly prominent "background Jedi" from the prequels is Aayla Secura:

And she originated in the comics.

So elements from the EU are already in many of the movies that you have already seen. You just likely never knew and couldn't tell the difference. They could easily do the same thing with this new trilogy and you still likely won't know the difference. So why are you getting so worked up over it?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Heir to the Empire, Dark Foce Rising, and The Last Command, the books of a series better known as The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn, are the only reason Star Wars came back as strong as it did in the 90's. Up to 91, when Heir was released, the Star Wars property was pretty much dead commerically. So, calling it fanfiction is silly, and the story itself was better written than anything Lucas gave us with the prequel movies, and lightyears ahead of that garbage they call the Clone Wars TV show.

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post

Mern-Ra: there's no 'stress' or 'wallowing' involved, I was making observations about the reality of modern media (a few corporations now own what dozens used to). Can't blame Disney for buying Star Wars, but I'm disappointed George sold it for the reasons pointed out.
    Hey man, sorry for the 'wallowing' comment--that was crappy on my part.

And I do (now) get what you're saying, and I guess I'm just not that worried about it, even though I do recognize that maybe I should be.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I personally have no attachment to most of the "expanded universe", so to an extent I'm with you on this. But I also don't necessarily care if they take elements from the EU and use them in the films if it works and make sense. This has already happened with the prequels (and while I am VERY critical of the prequels, it is not at all because of these things.

Check out this wiki page on the expanded universe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wa...d_the_prequels

Lower down on the page is a section called "Lucas's use of the expanded universe".

The name of the planet Coruscant originated in the Thrawn Trilogy which you are complaining up and down about here (I'm not familiar with that trilogy so I can't comment on it directly, but I have no problem with the planet name coming from it).

Also one of the fairly prominent "background Jedi" from the prequels is Aayla Secura:

http://rpggamer.org/shippics/aaylasecura.jpg

So elements from the EU are already in many of the movies that you have already seen. You just likely never knew and couldn't tell the difference. They could easily do the same thing with this new trilogy and you still likely won't know the difference. So why are you getting so worked up over it?
    Also the 1985 Star Wars Droids Cartoon used some of the things that were used in the PT...

Oh and "Master Vos" that Obi-Wan Mentioned in ROTS was Aayla's master (Also in comics)

Timothy Zahn Interview On New Movies

It would appear that he's known for a long time. He, too, would also like to see the OT characters return. Here's the interview:

Star Wars was in a black hole.

The beloved original franchise had ended with Return of the Jedi in 1983, and as the kids of that generation grew up, leaving their toys to gather dust in the attic or garage, no one was giving much thought to what was next.

Star Wars was over. Nostalgia had yet to kick in. Then, suddenly, three more stories appeared.

That was 1991, when sci-fi author Timothy Zahn popularized the so-called “Expanded Universe” with The Thrawn Trilogy – a series of novels about Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia that was set five years after the end of Jedi. As the books rose on The New York Times best-seller list, Star Wars climbed back to the top of the pop-culture mountain.

As word spread this week that The Walt Disney Co. had purchased Lucasfilm with the intention of making Episodes VII, VIII and IX, many fans began repeating something they’ve been saying for 21 years: Make the Zahn books!

Entertainment Weekly reached the author in his Oregon lair to find out what he knew about Lucas’ plans for the post-Jedi chronology, and what he hopes those films might take from his still-beloved books.

DARTH VADER’S GRANDCHILDREN

Although no one outside of Lucas and Disney executives know the content of the planned movie sequels, the first of which would come out in 2015, they will more than likely be original tales.

That means Zahn’s books won’t be directly adapted, but the author says that was always the case: “The books were always just the books.”

But years ago, he was briefed on Lucas’ plans for sequels, and how the Thrawn books would fit in. “The original idea as I understood it— and Lucas changes his mind off and on, so it may not be what he’s thinking right now – but it was going to be three generations. You’d have the original trilogy, then go back to Luke’s father and find out what happened to him [in the prequels], and if there was another 7th, 8th, or 9th film, it would be Luke’s children. The Thrawn Trilogy really would have fit into the gap,” the author said.

However, his books remain so popular they could still have a Force-like pull on the movies.

In many ways, they already have.

THRAWN’S INFLUENCE

Zahn’s trilogy gets it’s name from the central villain, a blue-skinned, red-eyed Imperial general who cobbles together the remains of the vast, evil army after Vader and the Emperor are killed in Return of the Jedi.

The author gave a name to the galaxy’s capital planet – Coruscant – which Lucas kept for the prequels, and he introduced some beloved figures that any later Star Wars movie would be wise to remember.

Foremost among them was the femme fatale Mara Jade, an Imperial assassin who becomes a love interest for Luke Skywalker. (No more kissing your sister, bub.) And Han Solo and Princess Leia give birth to twins in the third Thrawn book, The Last Command.

“Another thing in the Thrawn trilogy was the catching of Force lightning with a lightsaber blade. Apparently, George thought that was a cool visual and put it in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, so he has been keeping a close eye on what has been done,” Zahn says.

“It could be an entirely new storyline, but if he picks and chooses bits and pieces from the expanded universe, we’d all be thrilled to death.”

ZAHN’S PREDICTIONS

As Lucas slips into retirement and hands Star Wars off to new filmmakers, Zahn hopes the movies will do the same.

“I’d like to see the original characters in perhaps smaller roles, handing the mantle of adventure to the next generation. Luke would be like Obi-Wan, but not quite the same because he will have raised his children and Obi-Wan was more standing off, watching and protecting,” Zahn says.

EW Daily Poll: Excited for 'Wreck-It Ralph'?

“I’d love to see a good father-son, or mother-son, or daughter story. I’d like to see family. We haven’t seen a lot of good family stuff in Star Wars. A lot of it has been dysfunctional, and driven by somebody else. Anakin was a slave and manipulated all his life. Luke and Leia never knew each other…”

Zahn says his favorite of the Indiana Jones movies was The Last Crusade, pairing Harrison Ford with Sean Connery as the archaeologist’s father. Even parents who aren’t monsters like Darth Vader have trouble with their kids, and the new Star Wars movies could explore than with Luke, Han and Leia.

“Some family interaction would be something different for the new movies to do – against the backdrop of excitement and adventure that forms the basis of Star Wars,” Zahn says. “There are a lot of directions you can go with the Skywalker families and really kick some serious butt.”

ADJUSTING THE TIMELINE

Whatever Disney decides to do with the Star Wars sequels, fans are going to insist on having the original characters appear in some capacity. It’s just a question of how – and when.

“Frankly, I’m interested to see what they’re going to do,” Zahn says. “Is Lucas going to skip a generation so that Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher can do their roles at the proper age? Or would they try some CG ‘youthing,’ like the filmmakers did with [Jeff Bridges] in Tron: Legacy? Could they reboot and use different actors? That sounds like it would be a horrible sacrilege, but Star Trek got away with it.”

Setting the sequels after the Thrawn series, but following the direction it set out in its conclusion, would be Zahn’s preference. “It would also be a little less likely to run roughshod all over the books,” Zahn says. “On the other hand, it’s George Lucas’ property and if he wants to ignore the books and comics, that’s his perfect right.”

Fans might have other feelings about that, although Lucas has shown with the prequels that he doesn’t always consider their wishes.

NEED TO KNOW BASIS

When Marvel Studios announced at Comic-Con this year that its Captain America sequel would be subtitled The Winter Soldier, comic-book scribe Ed Brubaker, who created that particular character, found out about it via Twitter.

Despite playing in a company’s mythological sandbox, authors aren’t always told whether their creations are being adapted. The same is true of Zahn, whose books could very well be a major influence on whatever treatment Lucas has outlined — without any of the author’s knowledge.

“It certainly could be happening,” the author says. “They have no obligation to touch base. As with any other franchise, once we write something, it’s owned by Lucasfilm, as it should be. It’s their property. “

He has been surprised before. “I’ve had conversations with friends over the years and they’d say, ‘Oh, Thrawn is in a new video game,’ and that would be the first I heard about it. So they could film the whole Thrawn trilogy without me ever knowing until I sat down in the theater!”

HAN SOLO’S HEIST

Zahn has penned several other Star Wars books, including one debuting in January called Scoundrels, set just after the events in the original 1977 movie, now known as A New Hope. (You can find out more about his current work on his Facebook page.)

“It’s a couple of weeks after the first Death Star has been destroyed, and Han, Lando and Chewie are going to collect eight other scoundrels for a heist,” Zahn says. “They’re going up against a criminal who has a supposedly impregnable vault where they are going to try to steal 163 million credits.”

He says he took inspiration from a familiar kind of team caper. Think The Dirty Dozen, The Expendables or the Frank Sinatra and George Clooney heist films. “This is the Star Wars version of Ocean’s 11,” Zahn says. “In fact, my original title was Solo’s 11, but they decided that might be a little too close to the trademark.”

One thing Lucasfilm knows well is trademark violations.

So Zahn is still close with the company, obviously. And if they want his input on the movies, he’s eager to participate. “I will be on the first plane to California,” the author says. “As I said on Facebook, I will hire a charter if I have to!”

Fans would urge him to find one that can make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.
    Here's the link: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/0...-timothy-zahn/

I still believe that virtually all post-ROTJ EU is toast. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post

Aayla is my favorite character. Love her!!! And yeah I knew she was a comic book character first. I think Lucas liked her design and went with her. Her back story is interesting too.

I dont have a problem with bits and pieces of the EU but most of it is bad. Mara Jade is a horrible Mary Sue. The Solo twins are eh. Luke marrying was just bad. Chewie dying horrible. Oh and the fact that Anakin was the coolest Solo kid and they killed him off was just dumb.

Aayla_Secura_by_natebaertsch.jpg
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quinlan Vos is in Phantom Menace as a background character, but is more an Easter egg than anything.

The EU stuff has it's good and bad spots. The unfortunate aspect is Lucas just kind of nodded most of when it was shown to him.

There is also the whole sentimental attachment issue and people tend to be more fond of things from their childhood and teenage years.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    Quinlan Vos is in Phantom Menace as a background character, but is more an Easter egg than anything.

The EU stuff has it's good and bad spots. The unfortunate aspect is Lucas just kind of nodded most of when it was shown to him.

There is also the whole sentimental attachment issue and people tend to be more fond of things from their childhood and teenage years.
    Yea because they tend to not grow up and move along...I love how people say they hate the EU in a whole but have only read 1 or two books and know one or two characters.... Haters will hate it's not all bad...

I've enjoyed A LOT of the EU......that's one of the reasons I worry about episode 7 honestly.

Unedited Director's Cut Captain Wow's Avatar
    One thing I hope Disney does away with is Lucas' annoying penchant for naming characters by clumsily scrambling the letters in the names of the actors who play them. The young Padawan who was gunned down at the Jedi Temple right in front of Bail Organa was named Zett Jukassa and was played by Lucas' son, Jett Lucas. There was a Jedi character named Cin Drallig played by stunt coordinator Nick Gillard. Anthony Daniels played a character in the Outlander's Club named Dannl Faytonni. Obi-Wan's home planet is named Stewjon, after Jon Stewart. I think his creativity level when it comes to naming characters is pretty much on par with the dialogue he wrote for the prequel films.
    Last edited by Captain Wow; November 3, 2012 at 02:45am.
    "You see, I've got this real moron thing I do...it's called 'thinking'...and I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    I think when the super pacifist Jacen Solo all of a sudden, after an entire series of novels where he resists his Jedi heritage all of a sudden becomes a freaking god when confronting the Yuuzhan Vong master was just completely stupid and is what ruined any further EU reading for me. I always thought Jaina Solo was portrayed as more competent a Jedi, even though in earlier novels she bordered on the dark side of the Force. Anakin Solo was also more competent than his older brother too, and then he is merely killed off because someone in the team of writers didn't want another Anakin to be the hero.

Then, reading about what happens later, where Jacen becomes the new Sith lord and all of the other bull crap that follows completely tells me the EU is just an idiotic mess now. Its a shame really since the NJO had such promise and ended so retarded. Jacen becomes uber Jedi while Luke and Jaina cower and look on, the Yuuzhan Vong, a race of military conquerors from another galaxy literally decimate the majority of the New Republic but as soon as their master is killed by Jedi god, Jacen they cower in fear and just completely surrender.

WHAT CRAP!!!

The new film installments need to ignore the bulk of the continuity of the EU if Star Wars is going to thrive again. I agree with taking some bits and pieces from the EU and adapting it for the film franchise is only logical since some good did come out of the EU, but I'd rather they not use anything from the NJO in any capacity save for maybe Jaina and Anakin and maybe Jacen if they can portray him in a more plausible way.

Whoever decided to make Jacen into a Jedi mega god at the end of the final NJO just made a quick wrap up sloppy ending to the series just to get it out of the way, it seems. Horrible! Still makes me not willing to pick up another Star Wars novel again.

I also think that the Star Wars fans who still slam the prequels just need to quit. The prequels happened, slamming them won't make them go away and George Lucas is the creator of Star Wars so if he wants to introduce a blue troll as a Jedi or make new storylines that he feels appropriate, he can.

Still, I do agree that continuing to tweak all of the existing films time and time again years after they've been completed is a bit much. The special editions made sense since they revitalized the original trilogy and completed the original vision that couldn't be achieved in the 70's, but making like three more special editions with more new stuff is a bit much.
    Last edited by Hordak Alpha; November 4, 2012 at 01:43am.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

the truth would be a sacrilege to miss such characters as grand admiral thrawn or mara jane for the new episodes.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    I can do without Mara Jade. In fact, they need an entirely different character to marry Luke just to say, "We do not have to abide by meaningless books and comics."
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    I can do without Mara Jade. In fact, they need an entirely different character to marry Luke just to say, "We do not have to abide by meaningless books and comics."
    Mara Jade's not that bad a character imo, she's a bit like the Teela of the SW universe (take no bull redhead).
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I don't get this attitude. As I said earlier, while I don't have a problem with them going in a different direction than the EU with these films since I don't have any major attachment to it, I also don't care if they borrow from it to some extent or another if the end result is a good, enjoyable movie.

They shouldn't just pointlessly avoid using existing sources based on "principle" (and what principle, really? You being pointlessly annoyed over EU characters and stories that you don't seem to be all that familiar with anyways?)

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I think the truth is the EU might interfere an awful lot with this new trilogy. I don't want the filmmakers to be slaves to the EU, not being able to do particular things because the EU forbids it. That would be madness. IMO, the new films (and past films) will (and should) always take precedence over the EU.
    Last edited by Krueger; November 4, 2012 at 12:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    Mara Jade's not that bad a character imo, she's a bit like the Teela of the SW universe (taker no bull redhead).

She's a horrible character and a Mary Sue too perfect. Besides Luke can't marry that's how vader became dark
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    Mara Jade's not that bad a character imo, she's a bit like the Teela of the SW universe (take no bull redhead).
    QFT Like I said hater's will hate you actually think that some of these people created SW instead Of George Lucas.........

I've never gotten why some people just hate Mara Jade lol I'd say she far from perfect, she's often ruled by her emotions and short temper, she bends and brakes rules, if anything I'd say Luke is the one who is often portrayed in the EU as being a perfect goody two shoes.

But I wouldn't worry guys as I don't see any existing EU characters making it into the new films.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I have no idea who this Thrawn guy is, but if he is from someone's fanfiction and not Lucas (and seeing as how he is not mentioned in any of the 6 movies, I am guessing he is fanfiction), I don't want the movies to have him at all. I want the movies to be made using original characters made just for the movies, not fanfiction characters made by some random people in their parents basement who have no idea on how to write a story without stealing someone else's universe.

Oh yeah, and unless the movie is going to feature Leia the Hutt, Carrie Fisher does NOT need to come back.
    Ouch, the Zahn books were officially licensed and authorized by Lucas himself. Oddly enough I get where you are coming from though. "Fan-fiction" is exactly how I view the prequel trilogy. They were poorly planned, horribly written, and they missed the point on every level. There are a lot of creative individuals that have contributed to the Star Wars mythology over the years. Paradoxically, the only one who seems to not "get" Star Wars any more is George Lucas himself. So I'm actually glad he sold the property and his creative input will be minimal on these films. Stil, I don't want them to slavishly follow the EU books. I think everyone wants something new and fresh, but writing out characters like Mara Jade would be a huge disappointment to me. They are far more deserving of a place in Star Wars lore than Jango Fett, Jar Jar Binks, or General Grievous.

Jeff Bridges was reverse aged with CGI wizardry for Tron:Legacy. The holy trinity of Fisher, Hamill and Ford could be reverse aged using this and I'm thinking 'Beowulf' style tech.

Remember that Lucas did give Timothy Zahn a forty page treatment - a very basic story - to create his 'Heir To The Empire' trilogy. I don't think this story should be used but perhaps something more akin to a war against the Hutts, with Luke slowly rebuilding the Jedi order and possibly Han's Corellian criminal family (kind of intergalactic bootleggers) could catch up with him.

At the end of the day, no matter how jaw droppingly spectacular if not even a crumb of the new Star Wars movies have been written by Lucas then it simply is not 'Star Wars'.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    QFT Like I said hater's will hate you actually think that some of these people created SW instead Of George Lucas.........
    My original statement was more about how nostalgia tends to blind some to things from their youth. I love the original Trilogy, but it has it's flaws and some of the problems more evident in the Prequel trilogy are there. I heard many complain about the Prequel trilogies ruining continuity all over the place. Yes there are problems with the two trilogies, but when pressed when people talk about the continuity errors they then mention the EU.

My other statement was some of it is good stuff, some of it bad, and some of it is enjoyable for what it is nothing more nothing less. Using the Mara Jade example I have heard people who love her and people who hate her, which means she is quite a divisive character. Which tends to be a problem with characters who are borderline 'sue,' or easily mistaken for one. Even Anakin in the movies can be easily said to be a 'sue'.

Of course the overall problem with EU stuff is it's often stretching what Lucas was setting up to tell it's own story. Lucas holds to very much the story is very much light and dark, with one being good the other being evil. But EU often takes it more has a balance you need the light and the dark for balance. Part of this has to do with what the EU is trying to accomplish, good vs evil is easy to do for a shorter period of time, but the longer you go you need more grey to keep the story compelling.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I think it's to celebrate the announcement of a new trilogy, especially because it will be a story after the original trilogy and also because it will not be directly involved lucas.
    this last is the best thing that could happen to the series and not a lack of respect for George Lucas, I think the creators at some point must leave their babies
    don't want to sound harsh but the best thing that happened to star trek was roddenberry death.
    I think the ideal place for George in this new phase is the creative consultant.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I think the ideal place for George in this new phase is the creative consultant.

I agree with this statement because, due to George Lucas' sense of ultra-perfectionism, it took so long between all of the movies before another one would come out. Taking close to four years each to make each movie when principal photography usually is completed in nine months is a bit much.

I don't mind some CG effects and sprawling CG cities, mind you, but it shouldn't take four years to make such things now when computer tech has advanced in such leaps and bounds over the past couple of decades.

Once episode seven makes it, I sincerely hope the wait for further installments isn't as long as it used to be.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.