Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion/Lucasfilm bought by Disney

Heroic Warrior

director found?

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Well, Star Wars is officially dead to me. He already destroyed Star Trek by turning it into his own version of Star Wars. Next he'll turn Star Wars into Star Trek and use Michael Giacciano as his composer. WTH are you smoking, Disney?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

The truth is JJ Abrams' first love was always Star Wars. He's actually made it clear numerous times that he never really had any connection to Star Trek. That's obviously why he had no problem starting from a clean slate with that franchise. Star Wars will be different, though. He's obviously been waiting for this his whole life. I'm excited. He's a very good director and I like the fact they're getting a director who has his own voice, rather than just a "point and shoot" director for hire.

Luckily I'm not a Star Trek fan. This must seem like a giant middle finger to them. I think it’s a certainty that Star Trek into Darkness will be his last Star Trek film as director.

Hope he sticks to both personally. Loved what he did with Star Trek.

Now we just need Whedon to do Justice League.

Another thing. Even though his is a big name, I very much doubt he will have as much freedom here as he enjoyed with Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Hope he sticks to both personally. Loved what he did with Star Trek.

Now we just need Whedon to do Justice League.
    Never going to happen Marvel has wrapped him up for while...

You DC really has dropped the ball on this it could be as big as the Avengers but they screwed it up so it will take awhile to get this ship back on course...

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Well, Star Wars is officially dead to me. He already destroyed Star Trek by turning it into his own version of Star Wars. Next he'll turn Star Wars into Star Trek and use Michael Giacciano as his composer. WTH are you smoking, Disney?
    Well Star Trek was a reboot/reimagining were as Star wars is going to be sequels, so they should look and and feel like the same Star Wars universe we know, and as long as he stick to this same look and fee and doesn't start reimagining the universes I think he might just do quite well
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    I hear you, but at least he didn't write it. Visually he's got pretty good touch--apart from overusing close ups and lens flares I mean.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    I suppose it could've been worse. Michael Bay could've been selected and the entire movie would be nothing but two hours of just explosions.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Black Dynamite shared this on FB today

Darth Lensflare
    lens flare.jpg
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by GeologyMule View Post
    Black Dynamite shared this on FB today

Darth Lensflare
    lens flare.jpg
    Well, that's forking cool/awesome/kick ash.

Um. I assume that's fan made. Right?

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Yeah. It is making fun of JJ's too-frequent use of a lens flare.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

I'm excited. I mean he loves Star Wars, and personally I love star wars. I was never a Star Trek fan so I don't realy care if those movies go in the tank Sorry star Trek fans!

That being said I liked what he did with the ST movie and am looking forward to the new one.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Star Trek fans should be happy that these news shall boost the hype to see what Abrams is doing with the sequel. Besides, he shall become sci-fi geek God that handled both properties alike; porbale like a savior Messiah of their continuities.
    I do fear a lot about the overused lens flare shots. I cannot imagine that trick being used in a place like Endor or even worse, a potential new Death Star would be only a lens flare relfection in the galaxy

Personally, I would have loved to see what Jon Favreau or David Fincher may have come up with...
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab

My feedback thread

I still would have preferred Matthew Vaughn. Hopefully he can direct one of the sequels. Anyway, it is official. Here is the press release from the official Star Wars site:

After a bevy of emails and phone calls, the formalities have been wrapped up, and at long last everyone can exhale and properly share the word with an excited Internet. Yes, J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars: Episode VII, the first of a new series of Star Wars films to come from Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy. Abrams will be directing and Academy Award-winning writer Michael Arndt will write the screenplay.

"It's very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new Star Wars movie," said Kennedy. "J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the Star Wars experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture."

George Lucas went on to say "I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller." He's an ideal choice to direct the new Star Wars film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."

"To be a part of the next chapter of the Star Wars saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor," J.J. Abrams said. "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."

J.J., his longtime producing partner Bryan Burk, and Bad Robot are on board to produce along with Kathleen Kennedy under the Disney | Lucasfilm banner."

Also consulting on the project are Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg. Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as screenwriter on The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. Kinberg was writer on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Abrams and his production company Bad Robot have a proven track record of blockbuster movies that feature complex action, heartfelt drama, iconic heroes and fantastic production values with such credits as Star Trek, Super 8, Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol, and this year's Star Trek Into Darkness. Abrams has worked with Lucasfilm's preeminent postproduction facilities, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, on all of the feature films he has directed, beginning with Mission: Impossible III. He also created or co-created such acclaimed television series as Felicity, Alias, Lost and Fringe.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I wonder how long J.J. has known or what it took for him to "turn to the dark side". (You see that? Play on words.)

I had just read an interview from him before Christmas (or maybe right after Christmas) where he swore up and down it wasn't going to happen since he was committed to Star Trek instead.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I enjoyed his Star Trek film (one of those enjoyed in the theater but no need to buy it / watch it again type films). I don't have any real ties to Star Trek or Star Wars. I'll give his SW movie a look!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I still would have preferred Matthew Vaughn. Hopefully he can direct one of the sequels. Anyway, it is official. Here is the press release from the official Star Wars site:
    Me too, Vaughn was a much more exciting choice in my view. But hey, Episode 8 maybe?! I just hope that Abrams collaborates to deliver a good third act to episode 7. Most of his movies fizzle for me at the climax and that should never ever happen to a Star Wars movie (except for E2 which was fizzle all the way through).

I see the latest is rumblings that JJ thinks 2015 is too soon and wants an extra year for a 2016 release. To be fair, two years IS awful short notice for a new Star Wars movie, particularly the first of an all new trilogy. I'd take my time with this as they are creating an all new era, casting all new leads and creating all new elements, and it should have a slightly new identity--as new as the prequels were from the era that we'd known before them. Plus he's got to finish what he's working on right now--Trek Into Darkness isn't done yet AFAIK. That said, I think he took too long getting a second Star Trek movie done so if someone wants to press him to move a little faster with Star Wars, that isn't necessarily bad either.
    Last edited by gbagok; January 27, 2013 at 07:23pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!

Can't possibly be any worse than eps 1-3

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    I'd hate to imagine the results if it was worse...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Jake lloyd was far more entertaining then "I can't act my way out of a paper bag" Christensen..

If it wasn't for him, two and three would have been much better.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Jake lloyd was far more entertaining then "I can't act my way out of a paper bag" Christensen..

If it wasn't for him, two and three would have been much better.
    I'd count E1 slightly better than E2, but still wouldn't give Lloyd that much praise. Other clearly better actors than either Anakin were still terrible in the prequels so I blame Lucas above all.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I'd hate to imagine the results if it was worse...
    Is there any fight left in the old-timers? I think if the movies are worse I'd just shrug it and go "well, yeah, I should have known better." But it scares me to realize that the generation of angry hard-to-please fanboys that will be scrutinizing these movies the most were the ones who became fans growing up with the prequels.

Heroic Warrior
    Last edited by midor; February 5, 2013 at 08:01pm.

Holy cow, mind blown. Here's the official word from starwars.com: http://starwars.com/news/new-spinoff...rs-galaxy.html

New Spinoff Films Set to Expand the Star Wars Galaxy
    February 05, 2013 x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

The Star Wars cinematic galaxy is about to experience a Big Bang. Lucasfilm is officially announcing new spinoff films that will expand the mythos and depths of the Star Wars universe in previously unexplored ways.

One of the standalone films will be written by Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriter of The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and co-writer of Return of the Jedi while the other will be penned by Simon Kinberg, writer of Sherlock Holmes and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. The movies will be separate from the upcoming Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, on which Kasdan and Kinberg are also consulting, and are expected to be released sometime after Episode VII. Each standalone film will focus on a specific character, and two spinoff films are currently confirmed.

In a call to investors, Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, revealed while the original focus was on the highly-anticipated sequel trilogy, the idea of spinoff films was bandied about early and the additional films are now becoming a reality. "We are in development of a few standalone films," he said, "that are not part of the Star Wars saga...there are now creative entities working on developing scripts for what would be those standalone films."

Stay tuned to StarWars.com as more exciting developments unfold.

I don't mind this. However, as I said in another forum, I don't want them to be released whilst the ST is in motion. I think the ST should be left alone and then when that's done these "spin-off" films can happen. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a "Yoda Origins" film is in the works. It would explain why Lucas always refused to allow any EU source to delve into Yoda's past.