Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode 7 Discussion/Lucasfilm bought by Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra_Torque View Post
    I am very excited about this. I can't believe that it happened. I thought that a third trilogy was never going to happen.

Now, I need to clear off some more shelves for the new SW toys.
    Yep, I think I'm almost as excited hearing this as when I first heard of a prequel trilogy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Did you not see The Avengers?!??!?!? Seriously, WHAT is up with people thinking this is such bad news? I'm not saying we're guraranteed great movies or that it won't got the route of Pirates, but my God, after the prequels and that last Indiana-one-of-the-worst-movies-ever-made-Jones, what were the fans holding onto?
    I agree, I'm not sure why there's so much Disney hate I think they can do good adult movies too and dont kiddify everything. I mean, Avengers is probably the best Marvel movie ever and was produced by Disney, so.....

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    So Microsoft has a monopoly on the computer industry for some undefined reason and the government had to crack down.... but Hasbro bought up a bunch of toy companies, Disney is buying up companies left and right, and these are somehow NOT monopolies...

Lucas was a pioneer in setting up lucrative merchandising deals for himself. At one level, it was ALWAYS about the money. He may have claimed otherwise, but we all know deep down the Special Editions were just a way for him to make us watch the movies again and buy them again, as was the other various re-cuts and added scenes. The "artistic" aspect to Lucas is mostly just a cover for making cash.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermista View Post
    Bleeding cool reports that Fox has retained rights to all 6 previous films. On phone cant post the link.
    The impression I get is they own everything. I got to think that includes any sort of library that Lucasfilm has. which would include all 6 movies.

7, 8 & 9 here I come. Yes I heard GL say 7, 8 & 9.

I really was fearing for a second that Lucas would have some clause in his Will stating that once he dies, so does Star Wars. Luckily, I was wrong. He’s done the right thing. I think everyone knew he would do this one day. It’s good that Lucas is still staying on as “creative consultant”. I'm very pleased that he's still very much involved. My guess would be the stories for 7, 8 and 9 have mostly come from him. He's still a great storyteller, when all is said and done.

According to a conference call with Disney from today, there is already a detailed treatment plan for Episodes 7, 8 and 9. The fun part now is seeing who they pick to write the films and direct them. I think every established director on the planet is going to want a piece of this pie. I really hope they go for some more obscure choices, though, a bit like Lucas did with Kershner and Marquand for TESB and ROTJ.

Also, Disney has said that once the new trilogy is done their long-term plan is to release a Star Wars film every two to three years.

I'm very happy to hear this news. Star Wars needs to be explored further on the big screen and George Lucas wasn't going to be the one to do it. I am very optimistic about this acquisition.

I heard Lucas will still be a consultant. Not sure what that really means or how much voice he will have, but if it will save us from more JarJar characters it can't be a bad thing.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I don't see why so many people seem to doom and gloom about this. As a few other's have said, how much worse can it be than what Lucas has already done to it? For the most part the prequels were a joke. Even Episode III, while being the most praised of the prequels and being far better than the other two still had a HUGE array of problems. Now there's a chance of getting some Star Wars movies made by people who can actually write dialog and direct actors in saying it.

Hell, I almost wish they'd just go back and redo the prequels from scratch.

And if this means that there's any chance of getting the original versions of the original Trilogy properly restored and releases on Blu-Ray, that would be awesome!

The only thing about this that will be potentially weird is having new Star Wars movies released with a Disney logo coming up instead of 20th Century Fox. That's going to be hard to get used to!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I'm not sure what to think about making episodes 7-9. I'll reserve judgment. I hope this means an increased chance of OOT on blu-ray as well as full releases of the Ewoks and Droids cartoons on DVD.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I wonder what this means for the Star Wars Holiday Special!

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I am...honestly, shocked. I don't like Disney as much as I'd like to. I think they blundered John Carter's marketing and expected way too much profit from Tron Legacy, both good movies that deserved to be franchises just not ungodly expensive ones. It feels like Star Wars is just going to be that easy ticket. Why make a hit when you can buy one? I don't know, I'd be really upset about it, but I don't think Lucas was doing anything worthwhile anyway. Maybe there's a chance a good Star Wars movie will come along again? That we'll finally get the next chapter of Luke (do I really want to see how bad Mark Hamill looks though)?

I'm curious what they'll do, absolutely. The ads for that new Knights of the Old Republic game with the Sith, Jedi, and Madalorians all fighting looks about 100% more like what I wanted the prequels to look like back in the day, but the key ingredient of heart is still what has been missing from the movies since Phantom Menace.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I emerge from Hurricane Sandy and Lucas has sold Lucasfilm to Disney??!!! We're getting Star Wars 7-9?!!!!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    The only thing about this that will be potentially weird is having new Star Wars movies released with a Disney logo coming up instead of 20th Century Fox. That's going to be hard to get used to!
    Heh, if we hear in the next two years that Disney bought 20th Century Fox as well, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am now.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!

hollywoodreporter.com:

Disney's $4 billion deal for Lucasfilm does not include the right to release the original 'Star Wars' -- unless a new deal can be forged with Fox.It appears that George Lucas did not give the studio that has distributed the Star Wars films since 1977 a shot at buying his company. But Fox isn't out of the Star Wars game just yet -- which raises the question: What are the prospects for the ultimate Star Wars box set?

Disney will own and release future films in the Star Wars series (as for potential Indiana Jones films, Paramount retains some distribution rights and future movies will only be made if both Paramount and Disney agree on terms). Lucas apparently has sketched out plans for three more Star Wars films -- he always envisioned making nine -- with Episode Seven set for release in 2015. But Fox owns distribution rights to the original Star Wars, No. 4 in the series, in perpetuity in all media worldwide. And as for the five subsequent movies, Fox has theatrical, nontheatrical and home video rights worldwide through May 2020.

While the rights on those five films eventually will revert to Disney, that "in perpetuity" pact for the first film appears to be an obstacle to Disney releasing a complete set -- unless a deal can be made.

According to a longtime Lucas associate, the filmmaker always wanted to keep his films together. “Now it seems like he can't have a total package of the story because one of the movies is with Fox, unless they can make some kind of deal [with Disney] to release nine of them,” this person says.

Disney and Fox did not respond to a request for comment. But a Fox insider tells THR that as for Disney's blockbuster deal to purchase Lucas' company, "we certainly would have liked a crack at it but i get the play."

Fox plans to proceed with plans to re-release the supposedly much-improved 3D versions of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith in fall 2013. The re-release of Episode I -- The Phantom Menace turned in only a fair performance earlier this year, grossing a total of $102.8 million worldwide. Fox receives only a relatively low - six percent - distribution fee to release those films.

Lucas’s decision to sell his company to Disney--not Fox--makes sense: Disney has the theme parks, merchandising and licensing operations to take full advantage of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones characters. "Disney is the perfect place,” says the Lucas associate. ”At Fox they just make movies. Fox doesn't have theme parks and huge brands. This is a good fit."

So despite Lucas’s wish to keep the films together, the allure of the Disney parks in particular may have been too strong. The filmmaker has long been known for demanding exceptionally tough deals. But one of the few instances in which he felt he wasn’t tough enough involved a deal in the late 1980s with Disney to make characters from Star Wars and Indiana Jones the first non-Disney properties at the parks-- for $1 million a year, in perpetuity.

I want to see the old luke skywalker as we saw the young and old obi-wan but in this case with the same actor.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I want to see the old luke skywalker as we saw the young and old obi-wan but in this case with the same actor.

I read some where long ago that Mark Hamill said he wouldn't mind doing a obi-wan type charater.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I read some where long ago that Mark Hamill said he wouldn't mind doing a obi-wan type charater.
    I think he will change his mind now, he can not miss this great opportunity
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I think he will change his mind now, he can not miss this great opportunity
    What's to change? I thought he was simply being agreeable to his character having the wise old man role in a new trilogy. That's about the only way I can see it playing out with him in the role honestly. When he was on Chuck, he was looking very much like Boston Legal-era Shatner.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    This is the best news I've ever heard. Get Star Wars away from Lucas, who clearly can't produce anything good himself.
    I wonder what this does for the TV show?
    This. It's about time that Star Wars got a chance to get out of his death grip. Also, Steven Spielberg may now have the opportunity to make a good Indiana Jones movie without having to throw aliens into the mix.

I will say, just for the record Jon, that Lucas did produce the amazingly epic Howard the Duck. So he's at least got that going for him.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    What's to change? I thought he was simply being agreeable to his character having the wise old man role in a new trilogy. That's about the only way I can see it playing out with him in the role honestly. When he was on Chuck, he was looking very much like Boston Legal-era Shatner.
    I actually understood he is not interested in playing the old Luke, for that reason I posted that he will change his mind with this news. he must be the old luke
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; October 30, 2012 at 10:44pm.
    MOTULA.ORG

Actually, that’s the great thing. All the original actors are alive and well. Ford just turned 70 this year, but he still looks great. Fisher is still in her fifties, and Hamill is only 61. Billy Dee Williams is much older than I thought, though. He’s 75. Really thought he was younger than Ford.

But yeah, the original characters are obviously going to feature. It would not surprise at all if all the principles have already had a phone call. I mean, with Episode 7 scheduled for 2015, production will begin next year sometime.

I keep on thinking this is some cruel prank. I really do. I cannot believe that Episodes 7, 8 and 9 are actually coming.

Also, a conference call with Disney from today revealed that the story treatments for 7, 8 and 9 were done by Lucas and obviously some others in the fold. I think it’s great that it’s still coming from his head. My guess would be that Lucas will be mostly involved with 7, 8 and 9. Anything after that will probably be Lucas-free.

EDIT: This is what another website wrote, reporting on the conference call:

During the Q&A, Disney said that they were purchasing an "extensive and detailed" treatment for the next film trilogy, so Disney won't be starting from scratch. It also said the movies were in the "early stage development" at the moment, and noted that it hopes to have Episodes 8 and 9 released "every other year — so 2017 and 2019 are the current target dates.
    Last edited by Krueger; October 30, 2012 at 11:14pm.

The Mafia Mouse has STRUCK AGAIN!!! Kiss the Pinky Ring!

Lucas says he wants to pass this legacy but what happens now to Skywalker Ranch and all that land? Will Lucas become a renter now???
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Oh Star Wars. Oh God. on Twitpic
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Movie mayhem!
    Please please make this mean I get to see a Thrawn movie trilogy made. I don't care if its live action, CG, or animated... need it! lol

Quote Originally Posted by MOTUfan View Post
    I look at what Disney did to ERB's Mars series with John Carter, I really worry with everything Star Wars is from the Clone Wars tv show, to the toys to all of it, I just wonder if Clone Wars will now continue. And will Disney work in all of the novels and everything into a cohesive storyline?? So much to wonder about.
    I loved the John Carter movie.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    ***!!!!! I can't believe it. Put live action star wars tv show on Disney XD......staring who?! The former cast of Suite Life and Hannah Montana?!? So much for a meaningful or interesting look at post republic politics and the rise of the bounty hunters as was previously mentioned. Lucas, how could you?! . 3 new Disney'fied movies as well?! I know, I know, they did the whole Marvel studios thing...but this is freaking Star Wars! Then again it could have something to do with the $4.05 BILLION .