Thread: Frosta as a Character

Frosta as a Character

Hello again! In case you didn't know (or forgot) I make one of these posts when a new PoP figure comes out (most of the time, anyway) to learn more about them from the fans. My previous ones are here:

Adora
    Catra
    Shadow Weaver

They're bascially dead threads, but feel free to add to them if you like; I'm always looking for new ways to expand my PoP ideas.

Now i'd like to focus on Frosta. So far, this is what I know along with some questions:

- She's the Queen of the snowy place, but she seems pretty young (maybe I'm wrong). Did they ever show any of her background? Was her family taken by the Horde or something?

- The new bio says she gets her magic from her staff, but is there anything that says different? How was it often displayed in the toon?

- I took a lot of my views of her from pictures on the .org here, and many of them had her getting cozy with He-Man. She seemed like a pretty "forward" kinda girl, but her bio just plainly states her as "sweet and kind" and she was indeed just normal and friendly when I saw an epsiode of the toon recently (I never watched the toon as a kid, save for the Secret of the Sword. Only just caught some classic episodes recently). So what is her personality to you, the PoP fan? What have you developed for her over the years from childhood to now?

Alright, I think that's about it. Please feel free to elaborate any way you wish, or add anything that I didn't cover. I'm just looking to expand my personal PoP story, as is evidenced by the past threads. Any help is much appreciated!
    Last edited by Alexx; November 2, 2012 at 10:25am.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    i think in the toon, she was able to shoot a road of ice from her fingers, not using a wand at all. her road could go wherever she pointed, even up in the air, making a sort of bridge. i always thought that was an extremely cool power... pardon the pun.

she was indeed sweet on he-man... much to his discomfort. he seemed to have a thing for sweet bee, and wasn't sure how to handle frosta's advances. for being an ice empress, she did indeed have a warm personality.

as for her original origins, i don't know that they were ever explained.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

It's all about the source...there's a book where "Frosta confronted the fiendish flock. With one wave of her crystalline arm the air was chilled and the catbirds were frozen into giant hailstones that fell heavily to the ground." That publisher has another book, in which "The Kingdom of Snows...Frosta, the Ice Empress and ruler of this ice-cold kingdom lived in Castle Chill...Frosta lived alone in this great castle, her magical powers protecting her from the cold temperatures that lessers mortals could not tolerate. Winters were harsh in the Kingdom of Snows and in a bad winter the castle was often isolated and the snow hawk and the arctic fox were Frosta's only companions through the long, dark days." There's also a Golden Book in which Frosta is very cold and turning blue when Endor steals her magic.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by LadyAngora View Post
    i think in the toon, she was able to shoot a road of ice from her fingers, not using a wand at all. her road could go wherever she pointed, even up in the air, making a sort of bridge. i always thought that was an extremely cool power... pardon the pun.

she was indeed sweet on he-man... much to his discomfort. he seemed to have a thing for sweet bee, and wasn't sure how to handle frosta's advances. for being an ice empress, she did indeed have a warm personality.

as for her original origins, i don't know that they were ever explained.
    Ah, so bascially like Iceman then! Seems she can call on ice wherever she needs it; neat, I like that. It's better than just getting her powers from her staff. In any case, it seems more like her staff provides winds for pushing her freezing magic than anything.

So I suppose she wasn't so much forward as she was just expressing interest in He-Man; cool! An interesting character trait that I think I'll use.

Quote Originally Posted by pH6 View Post
    It's all about the source...there's a book where "Frosta confronted the fiendish flock. With one wave of her crystalline arm the air was chilled and the catbirds were frozen into giant hailstones that fell heavily to the ground." That publisher has another book, in which "The Kingdom of Snows...Frosta, the Ice Empress and ruler of this ice-cold kingdom lived in Castle Chill...Frosta lived alone in this great castle, her magical powers protecting her from the cold temperatures that lessers mortals could not tolerate. Winters were harsh in the Kingdom of Snows and in a bad winter the castle was often isolated and the snow hawk and the arctic fox were Frosta's only companions through the long, dark days." There's also a Golden Book in which Frosta is very cold and turning blue when Endor steals her magic.
    Ah, interesting! Good stuff good stuff. I think the ideas are starting to swirl around in my head; it's very interesting that she seems to be in a castle all to herself. It's a kingdom...but are where subjects? Lots of untapped background there for the filling; I like it.

She sounds quite powerful, but also lonely and looking for someone to connect with (possibly why she advances to heavily on He-Man). Sounds like she could be manipulated as well; I wonder if news travels quickly to the Kingdom of Snows? How long was she in the dark about Hordak's doings (if at all)? It would be especially easy if she really was all alone up there (since it seems like the only thing allowing her to survive is her powers; can other people really live in that kingdom with her?)

I also like the mention of the snow hawk! I was already thinking of using the blue-ish hawk from the weapons pack for her, but now I know I will. Would be neat to find a little white fox as well. Anyway, thank you! This is very helpful.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

It looks like Frosta's early origins portrayed a more desolate story than the Filmation episodes. The mini-comic she came with, "The Adventure of the Blue Diamond", shows that she lives alone in a frozen cave. She's so lonely that she's easily fooled by Catra who pretends to be her friend so that she can acquire her magical snow cape. The cape contains a map leading to the Blue Ice Diamond, which Catra aims to use to freeze all of Etheria. Frosta is shown using her Ice Wand to freeze her enemies. After She-Ra saves the day, Frosta still offers the cape to her, to which She-Ra responds by giving her the moral that true friendship comes from the heart and not from gifts.

In the She-Ra cartoon episodes, Frosta actually rules over an icy kingdom from Castle Chill deep within the remote Snow Lands. Her people are like snow vikings and they have an uneasy truce with a rival clan, the seal-like Selkies of Galatia. Where the original media shows all her powers coming from her staff, the Filmation cartoons expand her magical abilities to include neat Iceman-like powers: Creating ice and snow in any climate, "flying" around with ice slides, and freezing objects at will. Of course, she's also infamous for being super flirty with He-Man, heheh!

I hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post
    It looks like Frosta's early origins portrayed a more desolate story than the Filmation episodes. The mini-comic she came with, "The Adventure of the Blue Diamond", shows that she lives alone in a frozen cave. She's so lonely that she's easily fooled by Catra who pretends to be her friend so that she can acquire her magical snow cape. The cape contains a map leading to the Blue Ice Diamond, which Catra aims to use to freeze all of Etheria. Frosta is shown using her Ice Wand to freeze her enemies. After She-Ra saves the day, Frosta still offers the cape to her, to which She-Ra responds by giving her the moral that true friendship comes from the heart and not from gifts.

In the She-Ra cartoon episodes, Frosta actually rules over an icy kingdom from Castle Chill deep within the remote Snow Lands. Her people are like snow vikings and they have an uneasy truce with a rival clan, the seal-like Selkies of Galatia. Where the original media shows all her powers coming from her staff, the Filmation cartoons expand her magical abilities to include neat Iceman-like powers: Creating ice and snow in any climate, "flying" around with ice slides, and freezing objects at will. Of course, she's also infamous for being super flirty with He-Man, heheh!

I hope this helps!
    I had no idea that Frosta's early background from the comics was such a sorry tale, she makes for a rather pathetic character & member of the Rebellion from that point of view. Certainly Filmation vamped her up & made her more interesting. Filmation Frosta can easily take on Catra any day

And I've always looked askance at magical abilities or powers coming solely from objects imbued with magic. Without the object (wand, staff, sword etc) you're vulnerable. Having the magical ability imbued within your person...now that's cool!

Oh & just a little something that LadyAngora & I worked on some years ago now

She-Ra Princess of Power clip art, animated gifs & panoramic screen caps at http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Clip%20Art/
    My other artworks http://cosmicfalcon-70.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post

I hope this helps!
    I think I kind of like the desolate story for her more than the one portrayed in the cartoon. I just found her a bit annoying in the toon with the fawning over He-Man and the jealousy of Sweet Bee. Not really how a great leader should be acting.

Heroic Warrior
    I think Frosta is a powerful ally for She-Ra and The Great Rebellion, but she clearly has her own concerns.

It also appears that Frosta still has a lot to learn about ruling the Snow Lands, as evidenced by her irrational dislike of the Selkies. It also appears that she adopts a more isolated approach to ruling the Snow Lands and that she doesn't have many (or perhaps any) friends amongst her subjects. Frosta's inexperience with personal relationships seems pretty evident given her behaviour around He-Man and in respect of her rivalry with Sweet Bee.

It may even be possible that Frosta is not the rightful ruler of the Snow Lands, but rather invaded the primitive inhabitants of the Snow Lands and established herself as their Queen/Empress due to her innate magical abilities to control snow and ice. None of the inhabitants look or dress anything like Frosta, but she may have adopted different attire to differentiate herself from her subjects and her blue hair could be a side effect of her magical abilities.

But, for all her faults, Frosta does seem to be genuinely interested in the health and well-being of her people and also in helping She-Ra to rid Etheria of The Evil Horde.

She was always my favorite member of the great rebellion! Her powers were always, to me, the best on the show. The others like flutterina and sweet bee were, to me, almost pointless, power wise.

I saw Frosta as one of she-ra's strongest allies. She seems to appear a lot in the shows unlike others like i mentioned above who appear once or twice. It's interesting how, aside from the main characters, Frosta had a sizable, reaccuuring role.

I never saw her as young... she had an older face than that of glimmer for example. I also saw her as the rightful ruler of the Kingdom of the Snows... however i do wonder where she gained the leadership.. who were her family etc. It never dug quite that deep for her character.