Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Haven't Pre-Ordered Grayskull what would it take secure your purchase?

Hexcellent Horror Hostess

If You Haven't Pre-Ordered Grayskull what would it take to secure your purchase?

I ran across this poll about reasons for not pre-ordering Castle Grayskull, which I hope you all vote in if you are not pre-ordering.

This got me thinking. If you haven't pre-ordered, what would it take to get you to take the plunge?
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

I'm a procrastinator. I'll order my two before time's up.
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Honestly, at this point, I just can't see myself buying it at all. As I said in the other topic, it would be nothing more than wallpaper to me, a background prop, a really expensive one. Plus, the MOTU flame has pretty much gone out for me and now I am buying the figures just to buy them, not because I am enjoying them.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Not knowing what 2013 has in store for me, and buying the sub, has me pondering it, plus the shear huge size of it vs my display room size, plus the cost outside my toy budget, makes it really hard to say yes to, but on the other hand, if nothing else in Classics will be valuable, this will, it will be limited in numbers, run only once (likely), if not a retail version would not be the same anyway.

And with my now loose collection, it would be a perfect display for the good guys, but, my figures are in release order single file on shelves....and that being my preferred method of display....CG would likely stay MIB leaning up against the wall, I would play with it from time to time, but otherwise...., and for $300 with shipping....that's one expensive doorstop.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

I can think of half a dozen reasons not to preorder this item. Honestly, the mock up did not interest me. I thought about it, and for all my complaints, I would buy under either of these circumstances.

1. If the playset was complete with 4 walls. I don't actually play with my toys, but if offered something that was a major upgrade from what I already own, it would be worth it. At this price point, anything short of having 4 walls is just a slightly modified 200x... CG and I already have that.

2. If we were getting a larger scale facade. Again, since I don't play with my toys, I could skip a 'playset' completely, leave that to the vintage line, and the 200x line, and just have a massive 1 panel display piece that looks more like the Filmation castle. Perhaps with a 20-25'' high door, and an overall height of 50'' or more. Maybe some small platforms in the eyes to show the Sorceress within, but that's it.

Since neither of these options is a reality, I'm passing.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; November 2, 2012 at 01:00am.

Heroic Warrior
    Well, they (matty and digital river) keep sending my orders to Sweden before they come back to Canada. This has been going on for a year now. Oh, and because shipping is getting so expensive, they've had to raise shipping prices for next year. And all us Canadians have asked why are our purchases being sent to Sweden and they don't have an answer for us except that it may or may not be the United States Postal Service's fault. I would have taken any answer from them at this point including "We're working on it". But their silence has been deafening so until they get their act together, I will not be purchasing.

As much as I would love to see this get made, and I ordered mine already, I seriously doubt this will come to fruition.

Heroic Warrior
    One reason is I only need a front for display, playability is pointless for me, I`m also not a fan of the Wind Raider action feature, never used it...I only display my figures, I´m not playing with them.

The other reason is my concern of the quality of final product. I `m sure, the 4HM will do their best in sculpting the castle, but with all the quality issues and lame excuses from Mattel with the regular figures since 2009, I expect the worst...

I only ever wanted a filmation inspired front facade. I mean we're not kids anymore and this is an adult collectors line. Why make an expensive interior that wont be seen anyway from the front. you would need some kind of rotating display table to make it justice and thats not an option for me.They could have made a bad ass facade for half the price of what we are getting.

My wife would kill me. I don't want to be killed.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

It's a lot of money. I need to have a better idea of my financial situation before I commit to it.
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

I simply have lost trust with MOTUC and the way Mattel/Scott runs it. I can afford it but it is a lot of money to invest on an item from a company I don't trust.
    Last edited by kup; November 3, 2012 at 08:40am.

The biggest thing for me is the initial cost, then add shipping and the customs fee I will have to pay when it arrives... = a loooooot of money.
    Im just not in the position right now to afford this.(makes me hella sad though. )

Plus with the commitment to the preorder I have no idea what the exchange rate will be once its time for this to ship... It may or may not work in my favour. The risk is too great.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Grayskull in itself allready costs more then I am willing to spend on a toy. That combined with the shipping costs make this an item I have to unfortunatly skip.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

For me as an international fan its the $100 shipping plus the $50-$60 Customs/duty that I would also have to pay.

All in all at over $400 it's at the point where, as much as I would like it, I personally don't think it warrants dropping that much cash for how much use I would get out of it - space being another issue.

I think it looks great, would love to have it and can afford it but I've just got this nagging feeling about it being worth it.

Just my personal take on it. In terms of what would convince me to order? I appreciate international shipping is not cheap but when I was budgeting for this I expect max $75 - the initial $200 debacle soured me on it and still feel it's just too high as it currently stands.
    Last edited by ADPriceless; November 2, 2012 at 06:41am.

Quote Originally Posted by ADPriceless View Post
    For me as an international fan its the $100 shipping plus the $50-$60 Customs/duty that I would also have to pay.

All in all at over $400 it's at the point where, as much as I would like it, I personally don't think it warrants dropping that much cash for how much use I would get out of it - space being another issue.

I think it looks great, would love to have it and can afford it but I've just got this nagging feeling about it being worth it.

Just my personal take on it. In terms of what would convince me to order? I appreciate international shipping is not cheap but when I was budgeting for this I expect max $75 - the initial $200 debacle soured me on it and still feel it's just too high as it currently stands.
    Same here. The shipping and customs are breaking the camel's back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zodac666 View Post
    They could have made a bad ass facade for half the price of what we are getting.
    I would have gone with that option as well. Mattel should realize they aren't making a playset for children but a diorama piece for adult collectors.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    I will order two if any member sends me a free MOTUC figure.

Of course, I will be ordering two even if I get squat.

If Mattel sold the line to a more reputable company. I can't buy anything else from Mattel. They are just awful in every sense of the word.

If the 4H released the product themselves, I would still be collecting the line. I trust the 4H to do the right thing and to have integrity. I know 100% that Mattel frequently does the wrong thing, has little integrity, and leaves their customers hanging with poor product they won't stand behind.

If TG came to my door with a posable Goddess, a corrected Roboto and Hssss, and a Spikor whose skin wasn't flaking off, and an apology, I might change my mind.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ADPriceless View Post
    The same applies in Germany of course. Although here products are not exempt from tax but considerably cheaper when they are marked as collectors items. I have addressed this in the feedback section on the Matty forum. It seems to be falling on deaf ears though since nothing has happened in that respect.
    Last edited by rewkee; November 2, 2012 at 08:32am.

Court Magician
    Let me ask this the other way around: Why isn't every US fan ordering 2 Castle Grayskulls? This is exactly what it means for an international fan. Pay the price of 2 but get only 1. And there is absolutely no lie that Scott Neitlich and his minions can weave that would explain why they don't use their European Distribution Center for this item. Is it that hard to call the guys in China and tell them to ship 20% of the castles to Europe? And Scott always tells us that there aren't that many fans in Europe, the numbers are quite small etc. So it shouldn't be a problem for 1 or maybe 2 guys in the Netherlands to get a buyers-list from Mattycollector and ship those few items. On top of that, Mattel is no longer a company I associate with quality. And I just don't want to pay 450$ for an item which does not offer a certain quality standard.

Evil Master of Ducks Squishy Duck Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highway View Post
    Well, they (matty and digital river) keep sending my orders to Sweden before they come back to Canada. This has been going on for a year now. Oh, and because shipping is getting so expensive, they've had to raise shipping prices for next year. And all us Canadians have asked why are our purchases being sent to Sweden and they don't have an answer for us except that it may or may not be the United States Postal Service's fault. I would have taken any answer from them at this point including "We're working on it". But their silence has been deafening so until they get their act together, I will not be purchasing.
    This. A thousand times this. I will not spend more money on a delivery service that is a failure in many respects. When somebody at Matty/DR/Whoever is responsible learns to read a bloody map, I would gladly reconsider.
    Top 5 most wanted MOTUC figures: Lord Masque / Saurod / Mult-Bot / Angella / Sssqueeze

Happily invading Castle Grayskull with hippos is my true hobby.

It's way too much money for something that would sit on a shelf. Plus, knowing I'll be on the job hunt come January, it's not money wisely spent right now.

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    I ordered BUT ONLY BECAUSE I HAVE KIDS. Let me explain: I am MIB collector. I will never open my CG. BUT, I have kids, so I got one for them because this IS a playset. (I also secretly want to see such a giant castle in person )

I agree with a lot of people on here that for the money, I'd almost rather have a gigantic flat diorama piece that is twice as big, with maybe a window ledge to place Sorceress on. As others have said, this is an ADULT collector line. I really don't play with my figures. I've opened a few duplicates I got, but I pose them and leave them. I don't play with them. Matty does not seem to grasp the definition of "Adult Collector". Adult collectors want great sculpts and poseability (which we do get). But when it comes to certain other items (Like CG and Voltron), they add in all these stupid play features.

I guess I'm off topic, but I totally get why people don't want to spend $250+ for a PLAYset that will never be played with.
    Last edited by Fug-Lee-Faces; November 2, 2012 at 09:18am.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    In order for me to consider ordering, I think it would have to come with an actual power sword that could transform me into He-Man. AND it would have to include a deluxe Mermista figure.

Seriously though, I've never been a big fan of playsets, even when I was a kid. I hoped the line would get a CG just because I knew people wanted it and I thought it would be good for the line, but I've always known I would almost certainly not get it (especially at a high price point). Even if I DID want a CG, though, I'm not really digging the proposed design. I much prefer a Filmation or original boxart look. And as others have said, I'd rather just have a nice display piece that was to a more appropriate scale. I thought the play features on the insides of these types of playsets were ridiculous when I was five, so needless to say, I have absolutely zero desire for them now.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodac666 View Post
    I only ever wanted a filmation inspired front facade. I mean we're not kids anymore and this is an adult collectors line. Why make an expensive interior that wont be seen anyway from the front. you would need some kind of rotating display table to make it justice and thats not an option for me.They could have made a bad ass facade for half the price of what we are getting.
    THat actually isn't a problem. In my main 2002 display, the castle cuts down the middle, perpedicular to the background, so there are figures displayed on both sides of the castle (old picture, stuffs a lot more crowded now, but it gives you the idea):

http://www.thedarkmask.com/motu/motu2002.htm

Best of both worlds (or sides).

Getting me to buy from Big Bad took them putting it up on their site. Getting me to buy from Matty would take a new company running that site or a very large blaster aimed at me...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman