Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Haven't Pre-Ordered Grayskull what would it take secure your purchase?

There is nothing that can convince me to pre-order the castle. Reason is that after all the expenses, the castle would cost me about $450 and there is no way that castle would be worth that to me.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    As others have said, this is an ADULT collector line. I really don't play with my figures. I've opened a few duplicates I got, but I pose them and leave them. I don't play with them. Matty does not seem to grasp the definition of "Adult Collector". Adult collectors want great sculpts and poseability (which we do get). But when it comes to certain other items (Like CG and Voltron), they add in all these stupid play features.

I guess I'm off topic, but I totally get why people don't want to spend $250+ for a PLAYset that will never be played with.
    You say this as though you're speaking for all Adult Collectors. I'm an adult and I like that Castle Grayskull is getting an interior and play features. I'm not saying that all play features are great (Voltron pop out legs absolutely suck), just that your "definition" of Adult Collectors doesn't cover all Adult Collectors.
    Last edited by He-Dog; November 2, 2012 at 10:48am.

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dog View Post
    You say this as though you're speaking for all Adult Collectors. I'm an adult and I like that Castle Grayskull is getting an interior and play features. I'm not saying that all play features are great (Voltron pop out legs absolutely suck), just that you are incorrect that all Adult Collectors don't want play features.
    Duly noted, but even though not "all" adult collectors are against play features, you have to admit that the vast majority either don't want them or don't need them. I'm not saying it isn't nifty to have a trap door in CG, but how many of us (not including those of us playing MOTU with our kids) are going to sit around playing with our toys like Dark Helmet in Spaceballs?

It's one thing to have cool features on an adult collector line (Slush Head's helmet filled with water; bendy trunk on Snout Spout; working Jaw Bridge on CG), but it's another thing to have "play features". Admittedly the line between a cool gimick and a play feature is rather subjective, but I really think most people would rather have really cool sculpts, a "Spirit of Grayskull" figure, or something else to help display their MOTUC and CG rather than a working trap door.

Don't get me wrong, I like the trap door and all the features announced, but I don't think I'd care if it didn't have them. I'd much rather have a "display worthy" CG than a "play worthy" CG.

Playsets hold zero interest for me. Vehicles hold zero interest for me. That makes a $350.00 (with tax and shipping) dust collector an easy pass.

I'm not saying it isn't nifty to have a trap door in CG, but how many of us (not including those of us playing MOTU with our kids) are going to sit around playing with our toys like Dark Helmet in Spaceballs?
    At least one (me). I got the Wind Raider and Battle Cat last night and after I opened them I was swooshing the Wind Raider around (making noises and everything). My wife heard me from the other room and did a verbal face-palm. My kids were no where to be found and I couldn't get them interested in MOTU even if i paid them.

The only thing I would agree on is that everyone has their own idea about what a perfect MOTUC toy line would be. I haven't been totally pleased with everything, But I wouldn't change anything if it meant having nothing.

At least one (me). I got the Wind Raider and Battle Cat last night and after I opened them I was swooshing the Wind Raider around (making noises and everything). My wife heard me from the other room and did a verbal face-palm. My kids were no where to be found and I couldn't get them interested in MOTU even if i paid them.

The only thing I would agree on is that everyone has their own idea about what a perfect MOTUC toy line would be. I haven't been totally pleased with everything, But I wouldn't change anything if it meant having nothing.
    And that's totally cool that you enjoy your MOTUC that much! I'm one of those toy scrooges who thinks toys should only be enjoyed from outside the packaging.

The only time I "play" with my MOTUC stuff is when the kids want to. I'm mostly a MIB collector, but I do have some opened duplicates and the kids LOVE Skeletor, Battle Cat and Stinkor. Sometimes I'll play with them and they have fun. But again, the kids are the only reason I ordered two CG's. If not for them, I would have been content having the one unopened in its box. But I know they will absolutely love seeing what an "old school" style playset is.

And that's totally cool that you enjoy your MOTUC that much! I'm one of those toy scrooges who thinks toys should only be enjoyed from outside the packaging.
    Maybe I should clarify. I don't have my toys make out with each other like Dark Helmet did.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Good responses! The cost of international shipping is a big issue, which is understandable. The European distribution center makes sense, and it'd be great if Mattel could start tapping that resource.

The full-on playset idea also seems to be a turnoff for some who only really wanted a large backdrop facade. I wonder if most adult fans would prefer the playset or the facade. Personally, I don't plan to "play" with Grayskull, BUT I'm pumped that it's a full-on playset. I like that it'll have the trap door, elevator, and other nifty things. I can open it up and show folks the inside. Great conversation piece!

Another issue mentioned here is distrust of Matty/DR based on past issues. I can understand the frustration there, but hopefully that stuff will be less of an issue in 2013. We shall see. *fingers crossed*

Hoping we hit the minimum. So many fans wanted CG and it'd be a shame if it doesn't get made.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

The only time I "play" with my MOTUC stuff is when the kids want to. I'm mostly a MIB collector, but I do have some opened duplicates and the kids LOVE Skeletor, Battle Cat and Stinkor. Sometimes I'll play with them and they have fun. But again, the kids are the only reason I ordered two CG's. If not for them, I would have been content having the one unopened in its box. But I know they will absolutely love seeing what an "old school" style playset is.
    I was a MOSC collector, but my collection was out growing my space, and I also was planning to move, but my plans fell through....and a loose collection is 90% more portable and storable than a MOSC....now don't get me wrong, I will always miss my MOSC collection, and maybe if I get the money, I will get them back....not all, but most....but I do still have a small amount, mainly the "Blastic" figures still carded due to not having them screw up on me, and getting ****** because of it, and Stinkor, because I just can't stand that smell, he is permanently sealed in a Zoloworld case, and Shadow Weaver, her exclusivity keeps her sealed....and all are sealed in Zolo World cases....just now, I have a ton of them empty....

But for the record, even though I opened 90% of mine, I am still a supporter of MOSC collections, for those who wish to do so....but honestly, I love seeing 'em single file on my shelves....what I hate is the 20 deep and stacked figures where you barely see the feet and legs of the figure behind....I prefer single row figures, just as if they were still MOSC....and the backer cards brick out, for looks.

And as far as Grayskull goes, the same I said before, is my space reasons, plus my 2013 budget, may not allow for it.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by adol View Post
    My wife would kill me. I don't want to be killed.
    Every man dies.

Not every man truly lives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    If Mattel sold the line to a more reputable company. I can't buy anything else from Mattel. They are just awful in every sense of the word.

If the 4H released the product themselves, I would still be collecting the line. I trust the 4H to do the right thing and to have integrity. I know 100% that Mattel frequently does the wrong thing, has little integrity, and leaves their customers hanging with poor product they won't stand behind.

If TG came to my door with a posable Goddess, a corrected Roboto and Hssss, and a Spikor whose skin wasn't flaking off, and an apology, I might change my mind.
    Can't argue with any of this.

- - - Updated - - -

I ordered BUT ONLY BECAUSE I HAVE KIDS. Let me explain: I am MIB collector. I will never open my CG. BUT, I have kids, so I got one for them because this IS a playset. (I also secretly want to see such a giant castle in person )

I agree with a lot of people on here that for the money, I'd almost rather have a gigantic flat diorama piece that is twice as big, with maybe a window ledge to place Sorceress on. As others have said, this is an ADULT collector line. I really don't play with my figures. I've opened a few duplicates I got, but I pose them and leave them. I don't play with them. Matty does not seem to grasp the definition of "Adult Collector". Adult collectors want great sculpts and poseability (which we do get). But when it comes to certain other items (Like CG and Voltron), they add in all these stupid play features.

I guess I'm off topic, but I totally get why people don't want to spend $250+ for a PLAYset that will never be played with.
    I will be playing with it! I find it perverse that collectors keep their little plastic people in boxes. Oh well!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    In order for me to consider ordering, I think it would have to come with an actual power sword that could transform me into He-Man. AND it would have to include a deluxe Mermista figure.

Seriously though, I've never been a big fan of playsets, even when I was a kid. I hoped the line would get a CG just because I knew people wanted it and I thought it would be good for the line, but I've always known I would almost certainly not get it (especially at a high price point). Even if I DID want a CG, though, I'm not really digging the proposed design. I much prefer a Filmation or original boxart look. And as others have said, I'd rather just have a nice display piece that was to a more appropriate scale. I thought the play features on the insides of these types of playsets were ridiculous when I was five, so needless to say, I have absolutely zero desire for them now.
    BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Playsets hold zero interest for me. Vehicles hold zero interest for me. That makes a $350.00 (with tax and shipping) dust collector an easy pass.
    No offense intended, but you have no soul.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I should clarify. I don't have my toys make out with each other like Dark Helmet did.
    Why not? Don't let the "man" get to you!!!

master of hiphop
    Hi Penny

International center....?? they do.. it's Sweden for us Canadians we know it well, because according to DR's shipping notices Canada is located beside Sweden

i know.. i'm not being productive

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Good responses! The cost of international shipping is a big issue, which is understandable. The European distribution center makes sense, and it'd be great if Mattel could start tapping that resource.

The full-on playset idea also seems to be a turnoff for some who only really wanted a large backdrop facade. I wonder if most adult fans would prefer the playset or the facade. Personally, I don't plan to "play" with Grayskull, BUT I'm pumped that it's a full-on playset. I like that it'll have the trap door, elevator, and other nifty things. I can open it up and show folks the inside. Great conversation piece!

Another issue mentioned here is distrust of Matty/DR based on past issues. I can understand the frustration there, but hopefully that stuff will be less of an issue in 2013. We shall see. *fingers crossed*

Hoping we hit the minimum. So many fans wanted CG and it'd be a shame if it doesn't get made.
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Add an exclusive figure and I'll order it. Wouldn't take much.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

The inclusion of two larger canine "Snap On" teeth to give Filmation fans the option of displaying MOTUC Grayskull in a way that looks closer to the Classic toy box art / Filmation Castle Grayskull.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evenflow View Post
    I don't understand this line of questioning...how would an exclusive figure make CG anymore appealing ?
    http://www.DoomKick.com -Toys reviews, news, and a whole lot of Kicking!

Quote Originally Posted by DrRampageo View Post
    I don't understand this line of questioning...how would an exclusive figure make CG anymore appealing ?
    I don't collect vehicles or play sets, never cared much about then even as a kid. I like figures. If an exclusive figure was included I would bite the bullet and order. Same would have applied for the wind raider. If the pilot was included I would have bought one.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Perhaps if understood in the context of... it will make it more appealing... TO THEM. Personally I don't need an addtl figure to think this playset (see how I said playset without emphasizing the word PLAY, because I believe one can own this set and not have to feel shame for wanting to enjoy its multiple levels and features via any sort of PLAY). I already think it's great!
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    If Mattel sold the line to a more reputable company. I can't buy anything else from Mattel. They are just awful in every sense of the word.

If the 4H released the product themselves, I would still be collecting the line. I trust the 4H to do the right thing and to have integrity. I know 100% that Mattel frequently does the wrong thing, has little integrity, and leaves their customers hanging with poor product they won't stand behind.

If TG came to my door with a posable Goddess, a corrected Roboto and Hssss, and a Spikor whose skin wasn't flaking off, and an apology, I might change my mind.
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

I used to think that this line was the best out there, but Mattel's poor handling of the line has been making me lose interest.
    It's not so much as the price, but how much "bang for my buck" I get from it.

I just bought two (2) Nickelodeon TMNT Secret Sewer Lair Playsets. Got it from TrU for 109USD each (promo price). They ship it for free to my forwarding address in the US, and they ship them to me (Asia) in a large box for 75 USD.
    That's just 293USD for 2 playlets that's 40" tall each! After getting such a great deal from another great toyline which also has ties with my childhood, CG (at 250 + Shipping + likelihood of QC issues) doesn't seem to be all that much appealing to me.

I'm not closing the doors though, but I'd take it to the last minute before I make up my mind.
    "If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, and sounds like a duck, then it is a GAR "

I don't collect vehicles or play sets, never cared much about then even as a kid. I like figures. If an exclusive figure was included I would bite the bullet and order. Same would have applied for the wind raider. If the pilot was included I would have bought one.
    I TOTALLY get this. I remember there were so many GI Joe vehicles I wanted mostly because of a specific pilot figure it came with. You bring up a great point, that the inclusion of an additional figure might move some who don't necessarily collect playsets to jump in on this.

It being a little cheaper I am debating about getting it, but I can't help but thinking that $300 (incl S+h) is alot to stomach. Another thing that may help me is some positive news about vehicles like Battleram maybe having a chance down the road. It seems like lately TG has been shooting all ideas of a Battleram or another vehicle down even when the question of them doing a preorder system for vehicles is brought up as well. The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth honestly and I can't seem to get over it enough to purchase something that seems WAY more complicated to produce than a vehicle,etc.

I have hard time justifying 450 dollars, when I probably mostly want it for the front, as a background for figures. Also the skull looks to be much like the mini-statue, too "constructed".

It certainly wouldn't make it any LESS appealing.
    I'm of the opinion that vehicles and playsets should come with a figure. I have a Wind Raider and I pre-ordered two CG's, but it sure would be cool of they came with exclusive figures. GI Joe vehicles almost always came with a figure, and I used to think that was so cool when I was a kid. If I recall, there were a lot of playsets that came with figures too back in the 80's. It just adds a little special touch in my opinion.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    That's an interesting idea. What if Mattel offered up the Castle Grayskull Robot as an exclusive for only those who pre-order the Castle? I'm sure Digital River would screw this up, but let's say they didn't....

So, anyone who pre-ordered by November 12th, enough of those figures will be made, whatever that number is, to equal the amount of "by November 12th pre-orders". Those "by November 12th pre-order" buyers would get first dibs on ordering the Castle Grayskull Robot sometime late next year, perhaps given a week to do so.

Then, for anyone who pre-ordered after November 12th, would be next in line to order the Castle Grayskull Robot (assuming not everyone bought their Castle Grayskull Robot during the first week). These folks would be given a week to order.

Then finally, any left over Castle Grayskull Robots are put on sale for everyone else on Matty.

It's an evil sinister idea, right out of Snake Mountain, but could make Castle Grayskull even more appealing for the fence sitters, and perhaps even some retailers.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    That's an interesting idea. What if Mattel offered up the Castle Grayskull Robot as an exclusive for only those who pre-order the Castle? I'm sure Digital River would screw this up, but let's say they didn't....

So, anyone who pre-ordered by November 12th, enough of those figures will be made, whatever that number is, to equal the amount of "by November 12th pre-orders". Those "by November 12th pre-order" buyers would get first dibs on ordering the Castle Grayskull Robot sometime late next year, perhaps given a week to do so.

Then, for anyone who pre-ordered after November 12th, would be next in line to order the Castle Grayskull Robot (assuming not everyone bought their Castle Grayskull Robot during the first week). These folks would be given a week to order.

Then finally, any left over Castle Grayskull Robots are put on sale for everyone else on Matty.

It's an evil sinister idea, right out of Snake Mountain, but could make Castle Grayskull even more appealing for the fence sitters, and perhaps even some retailers.
    I have been a fan of this idea since day 1. Unfortunately, there are a lot of Matty White Knights out there who would accuse you of holding your hand out and demanding freebies.

The reality is, that this is an awesome idea. One new figure does not cost a lot to pack in with a $250 playset. It also rewards those of us for taking the plunge and making this happen before the cut off. I don't see this as asking for a handout as I have been accused. Matty is the one with their hand out, asking for us to give them free access to our cards a year in advance, and asking us to commit sight unseen to a product they openly admit could make a 180-degree change from what they tell us it is going to be. So, I think "greasing the wheels" with an exclusive preorder item would go a long way for a lot of us.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    I'm a procrastinator. I'll order my two before time's up.
    This.

I am Procrastinate-or.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I grew up with Filmation and prefer that style of CG, but that certainly isn't a deal breaker for me. I also loved the MYP cartoon, so for me as long as CG has a huge skull front and is green it will be fine.

I don't play with my toys either, but the double sided CG gives me all the more room to display my ever growing collection of figures. Just having the front of the castle wouldn't give me much space to show off an epic battle.