Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If You Haven't Pre-Ordered Grayskull what would it take secure your purchase?

Heroic Warrior
    Hi Folks

Truthfully, I am just waiting to the last minute. I really do not think there is a mad rush here this time like it was with the Subs. If TG announces that we get another bonus with it that is awesome then I will reconsider. I have already talked to the missus about it and she is okay with me getting one and is still on the fence if I want two.

Goon

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    Duly noted, but even though not "all" adult collectors are against play features, you have to admit that the vast majority either don't want them or don't need them.
    There is a poll for whether fans would like Grayskull to be a playset or a diorama. 181 voted for playset, while only 91 voted for a diorama. There have been many discussions about this over the last few years and it seems that the majority would prefer a playset.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Heroic Warrior
    I think, a 80$ diorama piece with less shipping costs and without action features would sell better than a 250 $ playset. Less costs are always good for selling a product.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    THat actually isn't a problem. In my main 2002 display, the castle cuts down the middle, perpedicular to the background, so there are figures displayed on both sides of the castle (old picture, stuffs a lot more crowded now, but it gives you the idea):

http://www.thedarkmask.com/motu/motu2002.htm

Best of both worlds (or sides).
    Looks good a little chaotic maybe but I guess thats what its supposed to look like
    Problem is I dont want to display the interior AT ALL especially if its based on the original toy/prototype. I mean a retro computer, yellow elevators and an Astronaut-robot doesnt belong in CG in my book.

The only thing that maybe could make me change my mind is if they include more Filmation stuff like interchangable teeth like on my mockup below:

A pixel Dan review of the final product and a $150 price tag.

Heroic Warrior
    I simply don't have the room. I literally have DCUC figures falling over themselves in my allocated collection space. Since MOTUC is my "side" line and DCUC my "main" line they take precedence in the matters of space.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodac666 View Post
    The only thing that maybe could make me change my mind is if they include more Filmation stuff like interchangable teeth like on my mockup below:

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8008/cgcompare.jpg
    I've seen this a few times, but I have a hard time believing that it matters THAT much... Honestly, there just isn't THAT much difference. The mock up reminds me of those pictures for little kids where you have to 'spot the differences' a kind of where's waldo thing... I mean... for the SIZE that this thing will be... whether the teeth are 4 inches long... or 5 1/2... I just couldn't pull the plug on it for that.

The bigger teeth DO look good. But they aren't THAT much bigger to justify 'snap on' pieces. Quite frankly, the 4H should just sculpt something between those two sizes and aim for the best

I'm MUCH more conccerned about the 'prototype' fascination. the minorette, the goofy ledge... Tolerable. If they go further and bring back the melted wax look and the elongated Jaw I will be MUCH less happy.

For me it's always been Box art #1, Filmation #2 toy #3. Though to be fair as a kid I never noticed much difference between the toy and the box art. I do NOW... but back then, not so much. So they both hit my nostalgia button.

Which is really why I "LOVE" the playset idea. I used my castle for YEARS... EVERYONE lived at that thing. It was the greatest 'good guy' base I ever owned... However as the years went by I lost bits and pieces, things broke, and I remmeber very little of 'how it was intended'. I LOVE the idea that we'll be getting an elevator again... the trap door... the dungeon... the laser cannon on the roof... All the little things lost to the ages will be back

We have been crying for a diorama of Grayskull for years. And Scott has clearly stated that if they do a Grayskull they are going to do it right and go all out. And now that time is now. I have no answer for the international fans, that is way too much to spend on something your not going to fully use. I for one have both my Grayskull's displayed on my display cabinets like Power Con two years ago and never touch them. And the same would be for this one. But I am thinking about the future, and the house I know I will own one day, and that special Masters Room I will have.

But for those that are in the states that say it is too much to spend, I don't see how you can't start putting away money now. In the bank, in a jar, instead of buying an extra figure a month...don't do it, save it. From now Nov 2012 to Dec 2013 is $21.43 a month and will be $300. I can take some ramen noodles to work instead of eating out, skip a few movies, get rid of a few premium channels. Knock something off the monthly grocery list. Something. To me it's not the price; it's, is it worth the sacrifice... obviously not to some of you. But that's fine, we can always get the movie Grayskull with the 4" figures to go with our Classics.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

I'm MUCH more conccerned about the 'prototype' fascination. the minorette, the goofy ledge... Tolerable. If they go further and bring back the melted wax look and the elongated Jaw I will be MUCH less happy.
    Agreed that worries me too

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Justice View Post
    We have been crying for a diorama of Grayskull for years. And Scott has clearly stated that if they do a Grayskull they are going to do it right and go all out. And now that time is now. I have no answer for the international fans, that is way too much to spend on something your not going to fully use. I for one have both my Grayskull's displayed on my display cabinets like Power Con two years ago and never touch them. And the same would be for this one. But I am thinking about the future, and the house I know I will own one day, and that special Masters Room I will have.

But for those that are in the states that say it is too much to spend, I don't see how you can't start putting away money now. In the bank, in a jar, instead of buying an extra figure a month...don't do it, save it. From now Nov 2012 to Dec 2013 is $21.43 a month and will be $300. I can take some ramen noodles to work instead of eating out, skip a few movies, get rid of a few premium channels. Knock something off the monthly grocery list. Something. To me it's not the price; it's, is it worth the sacrifice... obviously not to some of you. But that's fine, we can always get the movie Grayskull with the 4" figures to go with our Classics.
    The point is, that those fans simply think, that 250$ is just too much money for a plastic playset, that it's just not worth the $$$... I totally understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Melfis View Post
    Let me ask this the other way around: Why isn't every US fan ordering 2 Castle Grayskulls? This is exactly what it means for an international fan. Pay the price of 2 but get only 1. And there is absolutely no lie that Scott Neitlich and his minions can weave that would explain why they don't use their European Distribution Center for this item. Is it that hard to call the guys in China and tell them to ship 20% of the castles to Europe? And Scott always tells us that there aren't that many fans in Europe, the numbers are quite small etc. So it shouldn't be a problem for 1 or maybe 2 guys in the Netherlands to get a buyers-list from Mattycollector and ship those few items. On top of that, Mattel is no longer a company I associate with quality. And I just don't want to pay 450$ for an item which does not offer a certain quality standard.
    Well said.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Good responses! The cost of international shipping is a big issue, which is understandable. The European distribution center makes sense, and it'd be great if Mattel could start tapping that resource.

The full-on playset idea also seems to be a turnoff for some who only really wanted a large backdrop facade. I wonder if most adult fans would prefer the playset or the facade. Personally, I don't plan to "play" with Grayskull, BUT I'm pumped that it's a full-on playset. I like that it'll have the trap door, elevator, and other nifty things. I can open it up and show folks the inside. Great conversation piece!

Another issue mentioned here is distrust of Matty/DR based on past issues. I can understand the frustration there, but hopefully that stuff will be less of an issue in 2013. We shall see. *fingers crossed*

Hoping we hit the minimum. So many fans wanted CG and it'd be a shame if it doesn't get made.
    I would prefer a Castle Grayskull that is both a nice backdrop and also fully playable - However I don't think that the Castle is worth around $400 (with int. shipping) as it seems little more than a taller plastic 'shell' castle like the vintage play set and I have lost total faith in Mattel's ability to give us a quality product worth the asking price.

I actually expect them to receive our money and then provide us with a heavily compromised substandard product. Call me cynical but that would follow the trend we have seen from Mattel in regards to quality and value for money.
    Last edited by kup; November 3, 2012 at 08:52am.

The European distribution center makes sense, and it'd be great if Mattel could start tapping that resource.
    Not all of us international customers are in Europe though Matt-el needs a new system for everyone, but I don't think they have the inclination to sort it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Smashtoys View Post
    I used to think that this line was the best out there, but Mattel's poor handling of the line has been making me lose interest.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Highway View Post
    Well, they (matty and digital river) keep sending my orders to Sweden before they come back to Canada. This has been going on for a year now. Oh, and because shipping is getting so expensive, they've had to raise shipping prices for next year. And all us Canadians have asked why are our purchases being sent to Sweden and they don't have an answer for us except that it may or may not be the United States Postal Service's fault. I would have taken any answer from them at this point including "We're working on it". But their silence has been deafening so until they get their act together, I will not be purchasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by AGE View Post
    International center....?? they do.. it's Sweden for us Canadians we know it well, because according to DR's shipping notices Canada is located beside Sweden
    It's not just you guys. Parcels come to Australia via Sweden too

Quote Originally Posted by Melfis View Post
    Let me ask this the other way around: Why isn't every US fan ordering 2 Castle Grayskulls? This is exactly what it means for an international fan. Pay the price of 2 but get only 1. And there is absolutely no lie that Scott Neitlich and his minions can weave that would explain why they don't use their European Distribution Center for this item. Is it that hard to call the guys in China and tell them to ship 20% of the castles to Europe? And Scott always tells us that there aren't that many fans in Europe, the numbers are quite small etc. So it shouldn't be a problem for 1 or maybe 2 guys in the Netherlands to get a buyers-list from Mattycollector and ship those few items. On top of that, Mattel is no longer a company I associate with quality. And I just don't want to pay 450$ for an item which does not offer a certain quality standard.
    Perfect! Excellent way of getting the point across.
    Now Showing
    Two Bad
    Coming Attractions
    Modulok

I have a feeling, when we who ordered it have it in hand and can't stop talking about how great it is and are posting pics of it with our figures, it will suddenly be worth the $250 + shipping to many people who are right now saying it is not. Unfortunately, it will be too late for them and they will feel even more bitter that they are missing out or paying even more on the secondary market.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    I have a feeling, when we who ordered it have it in hand and can't stop talking about how great it is and are posting pics of it with our figures, it will suddenly be worth the $250 + shipping to many people who are right now saying it is not. Unfortunately, it will be too late for them and they will feel even more bitter that they are missing out or paying even more on the secondary market.
    And what will we say if it turns out to be a cheap piece of junk with peeling painted over black plastic and hinges that break on first use?
    Last edited by kup; November 3, 2012 at 11:30am.

Grayskull

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    There is a poll for whether fans would like Grayskull to be a playset or a diorama. 181 voted for playset, while only 91 voted for a diorama. There have been many discussions about this over the last few years and it seems that the majority would prefer a playset.
    I as well I would prefer a playset as well the many fans here who say more or less that they dont play with there toys sorta bothers me in sence that what shame is it if you do.I have allways belived that you are never to old to play with toys and if that is a shame or a stigma on me then so be it dose not bother me.

That being said you dont play with toys what are you doing when you take them out of the box inspect quallity check out how awesome they are then pose them and create dioramas on your shelf it could be argued your playing with them when you do so.or you play with them only with your kids absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I remember when 200X MOTU came out I would go in my den lissten to my music and check out some of the figures the wife caught my playing with Heman and Skellertor,power swords clashing while I lisstened to my faverit music witch is heavy mettle by the way.

Not embaressed in the least my step dauther caught me playing with the figures and Grayskull testing the voice chips again I dont see why this is a stigma but oh well.anyways why am I on the fence about buying a Grayskull customer service and DR. telling me that my card that is going to exspire soon can not be changed untill my first charge for my 2013 sub gose thru at witch time may be to late oh well I tryed get your act together Mattell.

I probably will pre-order it in the end. But my must-buy selling points would have been if it came with the robot/astronaut/armour as an actual figure or Point Dread.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    I don't really want such a large item in my collection, but one of the main concerns would be customs, if mattel would ship from there european distribution centers i think a lot of people here would order with less hesitation

I answered in full in the original thread with the poll, here.

But in short, it's because I loathe Matty and don't trust them to execute well on it one bit. They've pretty much killed all interest in this line for me to the point where I haven't bought a figure at all this calender year due to such low interest. If I feel queasy after giving them $30, there's no way that I would ever entrust them with 10 times that for anything.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

I'm still not convinced for the various resaons I've just read in this 3d, I mean, I do have space and have no problem for display such a large item, but I'm still pre-ordering something based on a simple b-sheet paper, I know 4h will do an amazing job on this but I do have my worries;
    plus international customs and taxes dont really help that much, I truly think its time to open this damned european distribution site
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    I ran across this poll about reasons for not pre-ordering Castle Grayskull, which I hope you all vote in if you are not pre-ordering.

This got me thinking. If you haven't pre-ordered, what would it take to get you to take the plunge?
    Money! And lots of it.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    And what will we say if it turns out to be a cheap piece of junk with peeling painted over black plastic and hinges that break on first use?
    The black plastic was used on figures because they were sharing parts among different figures. That is not a concern for this playset because they will not be sharing parts of Grayskull with other playsets.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by ADPriceless View Post
    For me as an international fan its the $100 shipping plus the $50-$60 Customs/duty that I would also have to pay.

All in all at over $400 it's at the point where, as much as I would like it, I personally don't think it warrants dropping that much cash for how much use I would get out of it - space being another issue.

I think it looks great, would love to have it and can afford it but I've just got this nagging feeling about it being worth it.

Just my personal take on it. In terms of what would convince me to order? I appreciate international shipping is not cheap but when I was budgeting for this I expect max $75 - the initial $200 debacle soured me on it and still feel it's just too high as it currently stands.
    this is basically where i am at too ... in pretty much every way ...

i just find it hard to justify the huge shipping/customs costs - i would love a CG, but there's more important things in life for me to spend $450 on ... it does pain me a little bit to say that because i love MOTU, but it's true ...

at the end of the day, i'm not going to be playing with it and aside from displaying it (which would take up a lot of room) i wouldn't really get much out of it ... doesn't mean to say i wouldn't have one though ... and me being the sort of person i am - as soon as i would have it, i would immediately & desperately want a snake mountain! which kind of gets into greedy territory

for me - shipping/customs costs aside, the figures are more than enough for me to get my MOTU kick out of ...

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    This.

I am Procrastinate-or.
    same here - but i think this time i'm not giving in!
    Last edited by tmc1984; November 4, 2012 at 05:28am.
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

*IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN*

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    The black plastic was used on figures because they were sharing parts among different figures. That is not a concern for this playset because they will not be sharing parts of Grayskull with other playsets.
    It was just a sarcastic example that there is a potential for us to be shortchanged on quality given that's what Matty has been doing for this whole year.

Storm damage. I still don't have power in my place. Crazy gas lines, my shore home pretty wrecked, not sure I can get any of my 8 surfboards out, or if they are contaminated... so lots going on right now. If the November 12th deadline passes and we have until January, I might be able to swing it. I hope I can, but right now Sandy has thrown me a serious curve.
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    It was just a sarcastic example that there is a potential for us to be shortchanged on quality given that's what Matty has been doing for this whole year.
    The potential for this is a near guarantee I'd say If Design and production can screw up a $20 figure badly (paint choice, reversed parts, breakage) what will happen with a $250 item. Its hard to find my blind trust in Mattel worth it to deliver quality for such a high priced item. 8 days to go, I'm still on D fence.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!