Thread: Could ANYONE pick up the Sword of Power and become He-Man?

Hybrid View

Could ANYONE pick up the Sword of Power and become He-Man?

Or does it only work for Adam?

I'm just rewatching the series and wondering if they ever explored this on the show!

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    A good question, one of the many filmation left unanswered on eternian magic.

It seems logical that anyone can use the sword, if they know how, and unlikely that it was ever linked to Adams DNA or voice recognition.

Filmation was never clear about how magic worked and it hurt the story value sometimes.
    ..(it works in Harry Potter, because all cute boys are magical, or something)

..although in that one episode cringer touches the sword to Adams skin and speaks the power of greyskull line and it worked.

If they are ever going to do this thing as a solid storytelling movie then they need to difine magic better than alot of shows or movies ever have.

I think Masters has alot to do with blood magic and rock magic, and ethics.
    ..(at least it does in my work)

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malev_Emperor View Post
    Or does it only work for Adam?

I'm just rewatching the series and wondering if they ever explored this on the show!
    To the best of my knowledge, only those who knew He-Man's secret identity knew the role of the sword, so no one ever tried. The sword could be handled by villains in the Filmation canon--in distinction from some others (early storybooks, Star Comics) where it would shock evildoers who tried to touch it--but no one ever attempted it. Given that they had to find Adora to get someone to use the Sword of Protection, and that no one used the swords during the Horde Invasion, I'd guess that both sword and chosen bearer are required for the transformation.

There was an awkward moment in the series when someone else held the sword and he-man yelled, "By the power of Grayskull!"

The sword then scared the villain who dropped it. This tells you that the sword responded to voice - not holder.

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    ..it would be kinda cool if the sword was like the Dredd gun, and anyone other than Adam picking it up would get a voltage induction and knock them out.

Snappy Threader
    I think no, because I figure it must be a descendant of KG and someone who is deemed noble enough (with a lot of the power in them already).....That's why Vikor, Wun-Dar, Oo-Larr etc never had the power. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    There was an awkward moment in the series when someone else held the sword and he-man yelled, "By the power of Grayskull!"

The sword then scared the villain who dropped it. This tells you that the sword responded to voice - not holder.
    TRUE! That makes sense...
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/