Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We would choose the vilains and heroic warriors on the CG box Art!

Hybrid View

We would choose the vilains and heroic warriors on the CG box Art!

New message from ToyGuru
    SOURCE: http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...787#2101052787

#21: Castle Grayskull

It isn’t just a toy. It’s a pop culture icon. The original Castle Grayskull playset from 1982 has lived on well beyond its “playtime” and truly set the standard for what a toy playset should deliver. From the mysterious skull face to the action packaged throne room dungeon trap, how many of us just spent hours and hours of our childhood lugging that bad boy around playing out countless adventures for He-Man and his pals.
    Until recently I never thought a playset could ever come out that would rival the original Castle. While playsets were a hallmark of the ‘80s, in recent years (and decades) we have seen decline in “action figure real estate” for a variety of reasons. But those monster sets of the early ‘80s will always remain lasting icons of an era when muscle-bound warriors ruled the living room, defending freedom and playtime everywhere.

It’s no secret that we’ve wanted the current Masters of the Universe Classics line (available each month on Mattycollector.com!) to become the greatest MOTU line of all time (if not one of the greatest toy lines of all time). Putting out any MOTU line that could even challenge the original is an endeavor unto itself.

But over the last 4 or 5 years, the MOTUC team has really stepped up to the plate and created some of the coolest, most amazing adult collector figures ever made. We’ve covered people, beasts, gorillas, giant dragons and even flying boats. But we haven’t yet gotten to the center piece of them all. The playset.
    Well, now the time has come. Fan demand helped it happen, the Hoverboard pre-order sale made it plausible. And now if we hit our minimum order by November 12th, the MOTU fans will do what no other fan base for any toy line has been able to prove- that they ARE big enough to support large playsets and want to see these happen!

We’ve had our presale up for about two weeks now and are getting close. But we can’t close the gap without your help. If you are on the fence about whether or not to buy a Castle Grayskull, let me see if I can talk you over to our side of the yard.

A lot of folks have looked at not just the price, but the actual footprint of the Castle and wondered “where am I even going to put that?” Well, you’ve got a lot of options. We did design the Castle to display as many figures as possible, even adding a third level across the top to attack or defend from below. Some fans have noted they really only want a “Castle façade” to use as a backdrop. If you only want a one-sided façade as a backdrop, simply only assemble the front half of the Castle. Just like the vintage set, our new MOTUC Castle Grayskull swings open and closed. If you have limited shelf space or only want the front side behind your collection, you can simply detach the back half (just like the vintage set) and display only the front half!

But there is another factor to consider.

As a collector myself, I know how valuable “shelf space” is. And finding room for a full Castle Grayskull in your current toy room or man cave (or woman cave!) is often challenging. One thing I would throw out there from my good friends on the Back to the Future brand is to think about this playset “fourth dimensionally.”

This Castle Grayskull isn’t just for now. It isn’t just for tomorrow or even next week. This Castle Grayskull is for the next 30 years.

It really isn’t every day or even every decade that Mattel can offer a MOTU playset. This is a rare thing. (Heck, quite literally, this is only the third Castle in 30 years, so I guess that means we’ve done one a decade at this rate, right?)

But this one is different. This is CLASSICS Castle Grayskull.

This is the one we have all waited for. It is in scale with our 6” figures and chock full of every detail, crammed with accessories, and ideally will be sculpted to perfection soon (once we hit that minimum number of pre-orders on Nov 12th!). And for those a little unsure, it does include ALL of the items shown in the blueprints. We hope to add more, but there won’t be less.

This is the playset “designed to last” for the adult collector. The chance of doing this again or offering anything like this in another way is pretty slim, especially if this one doesn’t go through. Ever since Classics debuted 5 years ago, fans have been asking for this centerpiece. Now is the time.

If you are on the fence, as both the brand manager for MOTU and a fan, I suggest it is time to get off and support this playset. It truly is in the fans’ hands. We can’t make this playset without you. We all want this. We’ve been asking for it for years. Mattel finally found a way to make it happen, but it can only go forward with your support.

You may not have the room to display the Castle today. Personally, I own thousands of toys and for the most part they are in large rubber bins in storage. I simply don’t have room to display everything I own or even want to (especially with a 2 ½ year old at home – small parts and all…). But even before I was lucky enough to land a gig at Mattel as a professional collector (if you will), I’ve always viewed my collection as “one day.” “One day” I know I will be successful enough and have a big enough place to display all my toys, including the proper space for this castle.

But the Castle Grayskull pre-order is now.

Even if you think you lack the proper display space for the Castle right now, keep in mind this playset not only is a bit of a one-time offer, but more importantly, it is going to last. Twenty years from now, even thirty years from now, hopefully we’ll all be looking over our MOTUC collections with joy. Whether or not we’re still offering new monthly figures or not isn’t the key. They key is that even after figures stop coming out, your collection is permanent. You’ll have it as long as you collect. And seriously, who doesn’t want Castle Grayskull to be the centerpiece of that collection?! Years from now, do you not want to have this castle there with all your figures? How incomplete will your collection look if this Castle is missing? Preordering the Castle isn’t just about 2012 or 2013 but for the life of your collection for as long as you want to keep MOTU on display. Years from now, with a “complete” figure set, this playset will be the centerpiece of any collection. Whether you display everything now, or one day intend to have an amazing shelf (shelves?) full of MOTUC toys, this is the time to lock in your Castle Grayskull. This castle isn’t just to display now but to reign proudly over all your toys for decades to come. This playset is going to look amazing. It is going to be everything we all want a Classics Castle to be.

Please help us make this happen. Help your fellow He-Fans make this happen. Offering a 6” scale Castle Grayskull really is a turning point in all of toy collecting. This playset truly could go on to become one of (if not THE) greatest toy made. Think of how iconic the vintage playset still is 30 years later.

Now think of that powered by the detail, paint, sculpting and passion of the Classics line. This is going to be one heck of a toy. It’s the one that will make all your friends jealous, not just for years, but for decades to come. Opportunities like this don’t come around that often and now is the time. Let’s make this happen.

We have the power!

Scott

PS: We are still working on the packaging but hope to have Rudy do another amazing new illustration on what will be a closed box. If we do move forward, one thing we want to do is let fans vote on which 5 good guys and which 5 bad guys will be attacking/defending the Castle on the box front illustration! We hope to involve fans as much as possible along the way on things liike this, but we need to hit that minimum order quota first. So if you are on the fence, now is the time to come on board!

Quote Originally Posted by Arvulis View Post
    PS: We are still working on the packaging but hope to have Rudy do another amazing new illustration on what will be a closed box. If we do move forward, one thing we want to do is let fans vote on which 5 good guys and which 5 bad guys will be attacking/defending the Castle on the box front illustration! We hope to involve fans as much as possible along the way on things liike this, but we need to hit that minimum order quota first. So if you are on the fence, now is the time to come on board!
    Very cool idea
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

very cool news!!! I PRAY MTOUC Castle Grayskull happens, I plan to vote for the iconic core heros an villians.

HeMan
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Ram Man
    Zodac

Skeletor
    Evil Lyn
    TrapJaw
    Merman
    BeastMan

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    very cool news!!! I PRAY MTOUC Castle Grayskull happens, I plan to vote for the iconic core heros an villians.

HeMan
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Ram Man
    Zodac

Skeletor
    Evil Lyn
    TrapJaw
    Merman
    BeastMan

For me it would be:

HeMan
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Ram Man
    Zodac

Skeletor
    Evil Lyn
    TrapJaw
    Merman
    BeastMan

arf....... the same than Replikor lol

Quote Originally Posted by Arvulis View Post
    For me it would be:

HeMan
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Ram Man
    Zodac

Skeletor
    Evil Lyn
    TrapJaw
    Merman
    BeastMan

arf....... the same than Replikor lol
    Great minds think alike! lol

Orko should be there or not?

I would really want at least one Filmation character on there. But seeing as it’s only five each, I can understand why that won’t happen. I’d just go for the most famous ones:

He-Man
    Teela
    Man At Arms
    Ram-Man
    Man-E-Faces

Skeletor
    Evil Lyn
    Beastman
    Trap-Jaw
    Tri-Klops

im thinking
    he-man
    teela
    maa
    stratos
    zodac

skeletor
    beastman
    evillyn
    triklops
    merman

thats my pick

HeMan
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Ram Man
    Zodac

Skeletor
    Evil Lyn
    TrapJaw
    Merman
    BeastMan
    I agree, although I would replace Zodac with Stratos and Evil-Lyn with Whiplash
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Snappy Threader
    I would have to go:

He-Man
    Man-At-Arms
    Stratos
    Teela
    Ram Man

Skeletor
    Beast Man
    Trap Jaw
    Mer-Man
    Zodac (in a neutral looking role but he's gotta be there as an original)

Great post by Scott. I don't want to think about 30 years from now though...I'll be an old man.

As for the characters, 8-back with maybe a couple of the 12-back figures (ie: Evil-Lyn). They are the most worthy.

I would choose:
    He-Man
    Battle Cat
    Teela
    Stratos
    Man-at-Arms

Skeletor
    Beast Man
    Mer-Man
    Evil-Lyn

Zodac as a wild card.

HeMan
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Ram Man
    Zodac

Skeletor
    Evil Lyn
    TrapJaw
    Merman
    BeastMan
    THIS sans Zodac…replace him with the Sorceress!
    How awesome would it be to see He-Man in his iconic pose in front of the castle with the power of Grayskull surging down through his sword!!??
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Actually rethinking my earlier post, it would be nice for some other characters to make an appearance on the box art rather than having exclusively the cardback 8 - something a bit mixed up.

Heroes:

He-Man
    Man-At-Arms
    Sorceress OR The Goddess
    Teela (minus snake armor if Goddess is used)
    Ram Man (as he is a 2013 figure)

Villans:

Skeletor
    Zodac (clawed feet, I'd like it if he has a rifle as well, similar to the old boxart)
    Beast Man
    Scareglow
    Evil-Lyn or Jitsu (as he's a 2013 figure)
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

I seriously can't decide. 8 back? She-Ra? All eras/factions? 10 is too few....well 8 really, cause we KNOW Skelly & our boy He-Man ar shoe ins.

I would hope the 2 cats don't count & maybe get Zoar in as a way to sneek in the Sorceress. A free spot if you will.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

The good guys:

He-Man
    She-Ra
    Sorceress
    Man-At-Arms
    King Randor

Bad guys:
    Skeletor
    King Hsss
    Hordak
    Evil Lyn
    Beastman

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    As for other characters, people are making their lists for a reason. I mean if they ever release a crystal castle, would PoP fans want to see Trap Jaw, Ninjor and Mekaneck on the box, instead of Glimmer, Catra and Entrapta?
    No, but hardly anyone is asking for Glimmer or Entrapta to be on the box. Asking for She-Ra to be on the box isn't the same as asking for Glimmer, Catra, or Entrapta... and it's not the same as wanting Trap Jaw, Ninjor, or Mekancek on a box for the Crystal Castle.

You can bet your bum I'd want He-Man to be on the box for Crystal Castle. I'd want She-Ra, He-Man, Bow, Glimmer, and Kowl...

To me, He-Man and She-Ra are the lead characters, and that is how it has been set up in the bios and the new mini-comics.

And you all know that there is no way in heck that we will get a Crystal Castle playset. Please stop suggesting that as a possibility... because we can barely get a Grayskull at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79
    I cannot see the problem when fans don`t like POP or She-Ra? Why I have to keep in mind that POP fans want to see She-Ra on the box? Because you think, She-Ra has the right? Please... I collect for myself, not for others. When people say, they don`t want some characters, it`s their right to say so.

I don`t need She-ra, Teela or the Sorceress in my MOTU, I don`t even have them in my collection. I didn`t have them, when I was a child. Where is the problem, if fans are not all-encompassioning? A little bit more tolerance for fans with other opinions would be nice. Nobody is blaming you for liking other eras. But other adult collectors have different opinions.

I´m 33 and I don`t need to be convinced, what`s MOTU and what`s not. I decide. Not Mattel or other customers...
    I don't care what you are convinced of , nor do I care what you like or don't like. That is up to you.

I'm asking my fellow MOTU fans to throw the She-Ra fans a bone. If you don't know what that phrase means, let me know... maybe you are missing my point because of the language difference. Your response makes it sound like you don't quite understand for what I am asking.

I don't want anyone who doesn't like She-Ra to like her... I have tried many times to argue her merits in the story. People have either been convinced, or refuse to care. At this point it is totally irrelevant.

Some guys babes in their fantasy-fiction, some don't.

It's really sad when the fandom here can't come together as a group and just let one portion of that fandom have ONE of its wishes.

IT'S A DRAWING ON A BOX, man. COME ON. No one is asking you to play with dollies. No one will question your man-hood if She-Ra is on the box of Castle Grayskull with He-Man.

If leaving She-Ra off the box will really make you happy, and the displeasure of many of your friends here at the Org will also make you happy, then by all means, campaign loudly for no females in the art for Castle Grayskull.
    Last edited by bcrduke; November 9, 2012 at 07:10pm.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Everyone that left The Sorceress off their list is insane, it's HER castle!!

He-Man (given) on Battlecat
    The Sorceress (given)
    Man at Arms
    Teela
    She-ra

Skeletor (given)
    Evil-Lyn
    Beastman
    Trap Jaw
    Tri-Klops
    "Don't crowd me boys!"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

He-man
    Teela
    Man-at-Arms
    Stratos
    Sorceress

Skeletor (Alcala :P)
    Evil-Lyn (BG)
    Beastman
    Mer-man
    Tri-klops

He-Man
    Battle Cat
    Man-at-Arms
    Orko
    Sorceress

Skeletor
    Panthor
    Beast Man
    Two-Bad
    Evil-Lyn

Snappy Threader
    It's too bad it's only 5 each (I know that is still a lot for box art), but so many deserving...Sorceress, King Hiss, Hordak, She-Ra...just to name a few. Not to mention the originals from 82-83 ish...He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Stratos, Man-E-Faces, Mekaneck, Ram Man...Skeletor, Mer-Man, Beast Man, Zodac, Faker, Tri-Klops, Evil Lyn, Trap Jaw.....heck even a swerve like King Grayskull and He-Ro vs. the Horde and Snake Men or something. It will be interesting to see which characters make the cut to be voted for...but I am feeling like since they are kind of leaning toward the vintage stuff that it will be closer to the original art with the early vintage characters.

These would be my picks, this is so cool of Scott and Mattel!!!

He-Man
    Man-At-Arms
    Teela
    Stratos
    The GODDESS!!!

Skeletor
    Beastman
    Merman
    Evil Lyn
    Triklops
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    Everyone that left The Sorceress off their list is insane, it's HER castle!!

He-Man (given) on Battlecat
    The Sorceress (given)
    Man at Arms
    Teela
    She-ra

Skeletor (given)
    Evil-Lyn
    Beastman
    Trap Jaw
    Tri-Klops
    Amen! Dudes need to respect the Sorceress! It is her house!

He-Man on Battle Cat
    Man at Arms
    Teela
    Sorceress

Skeletor on Panthor
    Evil Lyn
    Beastman
    Trap Jaw

Considering how iconic the original box art has become, I feel that the new box illustration should represent a definitive look of the current MOTUC line for future generations. To me, that means evolving beyond the classic "Original 8" Wave 1 figures and include other factions from the 30+ year lifespan of the property. These would be my picks for the side of good...

1. He-Man: Classic style, no variants!
    2. Sorceress: She deserves this spot over Teela, IMO...Grayskull is her domain, after all!
    3. She-Ra: She shares the power of Grayskull, she should stand to defend it alongside her brother.
    4. Man-at-Arms: Just as iconic to MOTU as He-Man, IMO, and one of the greatest of Eternia's defenders...Just give him the arm cannon to give 200X a nod!
    5. Icarius: Probably not a popular choice but he can represent NA and allow for a dynamic flying figure.

For me, the side of evil should at least show all the faction leaders fighting for control of the universe...

1. Skeletor: Again, just classic style, no variants!
    2. Hordak: I wish we had a Filmation version but the classic one is fine otherwise.
    3. King Hssss: The snake body is more interesting visually...There's no point of him pretending to be a friendly human at this point!
    4. Evil Lyn: Battleground version. This was a tough one to call but ultimately, I feel she's become more iconic than Beast Man in representing MOTU's Evil Warriors.
    5. Slush-Head: Probably the most visually dynamic NA figure to use, unless the mutant leader Flogg is released in the near future.

That's the fairest representation of all the MOTUC factions that I can think of. Personally, I was tempted to leave out the NA figures in favor of the more iconic Teela and Beast Man...New Adventures didn't even take place on Eternia, after all! However, when looking at the toy line itself, I feel that the NA figures belong on the playset just as much as every other MOTUC figure.

Anyway, just the fact that we'd get to vote on the figures on the box art is a cool nod to the fans that have kept this franchise alive for so many years!

A big fan of Slush Head
    This is awesome. I think Sorceress deserves to be there.

These are the ones I'd love to see :

-He-Man ( obviously)
    -Man-at-arms
    -Sorceress
    -Ram Man
    -Fisto

Evil Warriors:

-Skeletor
    -Beast Man
    -Tri-klops
    -Evil Lyn
    -Trap Jaw
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!