Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Still on the fence? Message from Toy Guru

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    What is wrong with the Hoverboard? This is the first I have ever heard a complaint about it. I did not even know it had shipped.
    Hoverboard has yet to ship, but there's a long list of problems with it based on the final version shown at NYCC. The best bet is just to get you to read from here in this thread on therpf.com so you can see the issues for yourself.

Let's just say that the "100% movie accurate prop replica, down to the smallest detail" we were promised when preorders opened for it has become "a really cool toy" (Toyguru's own words) now that it's time for them to [refuse to] deliver on their promises.

On top of that, when some of us voiced anger over what was a bait and switch, Mattel tried to lock us into it, citing clauses in the preorder which was null and void due to their failure to deliver. The only thing that seems to have changed it was a member of therpf.com contacting Mattel Legal and compliance. Within days of that, Mattel suddenly did a backflip and allowed cancellations.

Even then people have had cancellations refused over email and have only had success when they've actually called Mattycollector and threatened legal action (which is what I had to do).

Let's just say after Mattycollector's borderline fraudulent behaviour; I'm more than a little hesitant to trust them again with something costing more than twice as much. People say that Castle Grayskull will be different, but then we all thought that with the Hoverboard too...

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Hoverboard has yet to ship, but there's a long list of problems with it based on the final version shown at NYCC. The best bet is just to get you to read from here in this thread on therpf.com so you can see the issues for yourself.

Let's just say that the "100% movie accurate prop replica, down to the smallest detail" we were promised when preorders opened for it has become "a really cool toy" (Toyguru's own words) now that it's time for them to [refuse to] deliver on their promises.

On top of that, when some of us voiced anger over what was a bait and switch, Mattel tried to lock us into it, citing clauses in the preorder which was null and void due to their failure to deliver. The only thing that seems to have changed it was a member of therpf.com contacting Mattel Legal and compliance. Within days of that, Mattel suddenly did a backflip and allowed cancellations.

Even then people have had cancellations refused over email and have only had success when they've actually called Mattycollector and threatened legal action (which is what I had to do).

Let's just say after Mattycollector's borderline fraudulent behaviour; I'm more than a little hesitant to trust them again with something costing more than twice as much. People say that Castle Grayskull will be different, but then we all thought that with the Hoverboard too...
    That is really out of hand! True fubar. I don't know, I'm still smarting from how the 2013 sub was handled. Out of curiousity, has there ever been a preorder based on a "blueprint" like this?
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    That is really out of hand! True fubar.
    What's made me even more frustrating is Scott's response ot a request for reassurance in the wake of this that I shared in another thread on here:

How will CG be different to the Hoverboard?

I'm considering preordering Castle Grayskull, however I'm incredibly apprehensive about placing a preorder on it after what happened with the Hoverboard.

To summarize, we were "promised the world" in the form of a top notch design team working on a movie accurate prop replica, and we wound up with a glorified toy that was almost a Bait & Switch scenario (in fact I imagine that some in Mattel would have tried their luck, only Legal realised what an open and shut case it would be against Mattel), where rumour has it that the design team was gutted shortly after the preorder period.

Once again you guys are promising the world, so how can I and others who were also burned by the Hoverboard preorder, trust Mattel that they will deliver on the "bare minimum" (to quote Toyguru's own words) that has been advertised and that this project will be a priority in terms of the design team (which will mean the 4 Horsemen I imagine) working on this from start to finish?

To be clear, spin wont cut it here - for me to go ahead with a preorder, I need genuine reassurances to commit to that amount of money again with a Mattycollector product.

I couldn't be prouder of the Hoverboard and we all hope the Castle can live up to how great the Board turned out.
    As I'm sure you can understand, it's far from reassured me. It's a pity because if my fears could be belayed, I'd preorder in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    Out of curiousity, has there ever been a preorder based on a "blueprint" like this?
    I suspect the only place you would normally see that would be with things like architecture projects - however usually they're be trying to chase you, rather than acting like they're going to great pains to begrudgingly do you a favour, which is honestly the impression that I get of Mattycollector's attitude.

this is soo hard, i would have to pay near 455 dollars
    250 = CG
    100= shipping
    105= customs

god this is sooo much..................... i dunno what to do....
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

It is not where I am that matters, it is when

Is that not how it looked in the movie?
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Is that not how it looked in the movie?
    No, there are several inconsistencies between a 100% movie accurate prop replica (which is what they offered) and what they've produced (missing lenticular material, missing velcro, incorrect spacing with magnets, wrong screw holes with the battery pack, and so the list goes on). Remember, this wasn't a toy made to resemble a Hoverboard, this was a "100% movie accurate prop replica, down to the last detail".

For anyone asking "what's the bid deal"; it's the equivalent of preordering a "super articulated action figures" and then having the final product turn out to have minimal, if any, articulation.

As I said, click on that link I gave you to that thread on therpf.com where all the inconsistencies are mentioned, if you want to see exactly what is wrong.

Evil Master of Ducks Squishy Duck Man's Avatar
    I cannot pre-order Castle Grayskull knowing that it will take in excess of four weeks to arrive from California. It will have a "Sweden International Mail" label on it.
    Top 5 most wanted MOTUC figures: Lord Masque / Saurod / Mult-Bot / Angella / Sssqueeze

Happily invading Castle Grayskull with hippos is my true hobby.

Hoping for a huge surge of preorders at the very end.

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Quote from Scott: I couldn't be prouder of the Hoverboard and we all hope the Castle can live up to how great the Board turned out.

^^That right there has me worried now. I have to admit, I'm kind of smacking myself in the head for preordering. If the Castle "lives up to how the Hoverboard turned out" I can assure you Matty will be refunding me money.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Hoping for a huge surge of preorders at the very end.
    I'm not so sure that it'll happen. The problem here is that Mattel has been its own worst enemy in recent months/years. Some people are fed up with the way things have been handled and are just too burned to continue- be it with the Hoverboard, Ghostbusters or the handling of other lines. With the Hoverboard fiasco, wounds are still fresh and raw and people are having to threaten legal action over the phone in order to get cancellations happening.

Then some people are on the fence and need reassurance, only to get canned lines in response to asking for it, which translates to one great big "up yours".

The thing is that with purchases this big, it's not merely a case of consumer demand, but also consumer trust.

For many of us the trust has been too damaged to buy it outright yet even then Mattel could turn things around by giving some genuine indication that things will improve.

Yet rather than doing that, Matty seems more interested in "snakeoil salesman" techniques of canned lines and gimmicks like the poster, which do nothing to restore consumer confidence. If this preorder fails, it wont be the fault of fans; it'll be the fault of Mattel for using exploitative and ultimately self-defeating business practices when doing business in the collector's market.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love nothing more than for some lightbulb moment to happen and for Mattel to act on some epiphany so I could trust them enough to preorder one. However there's only 5 days left for that to happen and so I don't like the chances of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dark knight View Post
    250 = CG
    100= shipping
    105= customs

I am feeling exactly the same..

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://www.odrakir.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Grayskull.jpg
    Why is Beastman looking like he's attacking Castle Grayskull with Skeletor inside?

Quote Originally Posted by jerec350 View Post
    If this thing gets made I want to recreate this photo of me and then create one of my son with his castle too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0/DSC00324.jpg
    Dude!!! You totally need to make sure your son wears the same Atlanta Falcons shirt, too!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

For anyone asking "what's the bid deal"; it's the equivalent of preordering a "super articulated action figures" and then having the final product turn out to have minimal, if any, articulation.
    I think that's pretty hyperbolic really, but I guess I understand some misgivings since they said "down to the last detail". Is it possible that multiple props were used in the films though? Movie props are hand made. No two are the same. I wonder if they had access to a prop that looked a bit different than he main "hero prop". Not making excuses, just curious.

Grayskull is a very different beast than a flat bit of plastic with a big old decal on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Dude!!! You totally need to make sure your son wears the same Atlanta Falcons shirt, too!
    If I could find another shirt that looked like that one I would. I do plan on having us wear Atlanta Falcons shirts though
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Why is Beastman looking like he's attacking Castle Grayskull with Skeletor inside?
    That's one of the most ponder worthy questions in MOTU. Here's my age 10 take on it...

1) Skeletor takes control of the power of Grayskull.
    2) Now that he has ultimate power, he realizes he doesn't need minions anymore and gives them all the boot.
    3) A scorned Beastman wants revenge. He reluctantly joins the heroic warriors to do so.

Here's the more likely real answer...

Rudy Obrero was given very little direction so he just filled the scene with characters from the reference he was given. In an episode of RGD, he says the he knew very little about the characters and their affiliations. In fact, he only put Skeletor inside Grayskull because he thought it must be his house since his face was on the front.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    While I myself appreciate the message from Scott, it really says nothing that hasn't already been said. Yes, we know it's Castle-freaking-Grayskull. Yes, we know MOTUC is the greatest MOTU line out there right now... blah blah blah.

I just think including a poster that is of all the figures made in the line right now is certainly not enough to convince people. How about some Rudy Obrero (sp?) artwork? Dave Wilkins artwork? Including a poster that is of stuff we've already seen and know very well and gives us nothing new visually is not an enticing offer, imo. I don't know. I just don't think they're persuading enough.

I am for SURE very excited about the possibility of this happening. I've preordered mine. I just don't think it's gonna happen with what they've offered us so far. Not at that price.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

i remember when my mom bought me the 80's grayskull for 24.99 back in 84.

how much is that in todays dollars?
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by jerec350 View Post
    If I could find another shirt that looked like that one I would. I do plan on having us wear Atlanta Falcons shirts though
    They better be the retro 80's jersey versions, though. Although I would accept the Jerry Glanville-era jerseys in a pinch. 2 Legit 2 Quit!

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    In fact, he only put Skeletor inside Grayskull was because he thought it must be his house since his face was on the front.
    You know, he's right. It should be Skeletor's house! "Get off my lawn, you meddling kids!"
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; November 7, 2012 at 02:01pm.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

$55.66, Wolverine. I mean carlo.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    That's one of the most ponder worthy questions in MOTU. Here's my age 10 take on it...

1) Skeletor takes control of the power of Grayskull.
    2) Now that he has ultimate power, he realizes he doesn't need minions anymore and gives them all the boot.
    3) A scorned Beastman wants revenge. He reluctantly joins the heroic warriors to do so.

Here's the more likely real answer...

Rudy Obrero was given very little direction so he just filled the scene with characters from the reference he was given. In an episode of RGD, he says the he knew very little about the characters and their affiliations. In fact, he only put Skeletor inside Grayskull was because he thought it must be his house since his face was on the front.
    I moderated the Eternian Painters panel at Power Con this year, and Rudy said almost exactly what you figured. He had little to no direction, and figured Skeletor must own Grayskull, it looks like him!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post

I just bought the vintage one a few months ago for a whopping $10.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

My calculation of the costs is:
    $ 250,00 for the castle
    $ 095,00 for shipping
    $ 048,00 for VAT
    $ 044,00 for customs
    $ 007,00 for credit card charges
    -------------------------------
    $ 444,00 in total

That is just too much for me. Sorry.

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Scott--

I like your note, but you are marketing to people that know about the pre-order. I know I am not telling you anything new, but I think we have done all that we can do to promote this. It is now up to YOU to actively hunt business to pre-order CG. You cannot always hinge the success or failure of these sales on the group of engaged fans---Mattel should still feel some obligation to market your items. And not all marketing is expensive advertising or Rolls-Royce channel utilization---something as cheap and easy as a press release or a proprietary list e-mail blast could yield the buy-in needed to make this project a reality. Below I have thrown out some ideas.

1) Should have included an exclusive figure with the castle to entice "figure-only completes" to buy.

I know at least 20 people that collect figures and beasts only. They could care less about playsets and vehicles, but if they did not purchase the playset, they wouldn't get the exclusive figure, leaving their collections incomplete.

2) Longer pre-order time

Coupled with a longer promotional period, and actual direct marketing tactics, a longer 3 month pre-order period would improve the chances of meeting the quota.

3) E-mails and social media blitzes

Should utilize the Mattycollector.com opt-in database, as well as 3rd party distributors to promote the pre-order. Low cost- high yield.

4) Online community recruitment and marketing effort.

Reach out to the FWOOSH and He-man.org and others to send a message or mass PM promoting the pre-order.

5) Issue a Press release

Put out a press release announcing the pre-order so the story can be picked up by all the toy and collector-related media
    Last edited by melmoth666; November 7, 2012 at 02:35pm.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by dark knight View Post
    250 = CG
    100= shipping
    105= customs

Same here. I really want one and I won't go in the poorhouse over it, but the shipping and the customs are keeping me from ordering.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

If there is a vote for the five good guys and the five bad guys that will appear on the box, I'm going on record now as nominating Illumina for a position. You people had to know this was coming...