Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Still on the fence? Message from Toy Guru

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    @Irian & Crusader: Common you two, start saving now. You two need that Castle!

Court Magician
    @Irian:

I think you are missing some $ in your calculation. Shipping costs are also part of the VAT. That would mean 350$ is the basis for the VAT calculation.

@topic:

When I read the topic title I really thought Toy Guru would at least address the issue concerning international shipping. And I think especially at the moment, international fans could really make a difference. Only 5 days left but still some % to go...

I love it! I've got mine ordered Scott! I REALLY hope that this thing makes it to production!! Even though I won't really play with it…it'll be a work of art with the Four Horsemen designing it!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I'm going to hop the fence after much thought and I do hope Mattel delivers the goods and doesn't short change us on quality and value for Castle Grayskull. Let's reach that goal!!
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Judas View Post
    I'm going to hop the fence after much thought and I do hope Mattel delivers the goods and doesn't short change us on quality and value for Castle Grayskull. Let's reach that goal!!
    Hop it. Hop it fast. And please don't forget to post in the "hey I've preordered Castle Grayskull" (or whatever it's called) thread. Awesome man.

I preordered. If I can't hold onto it I know I can always sell it. TG said a regular sell could possibly cost more so I'm not worried if I ever need my money back.

I love a lot of the little bonuses that's going on with this thing. The checklist poster is a great touch.

Ill say one thing if there is a vote for the 5 villains and 5 heroes, I don't want to see anyone who is not part of the originals.

Skeletor
    Mer man
    Zodac
    Beast man
    Faker

Ill give up zodac for trap jaw because zodac is considered good sometimes

Heman
    Teela
    Stratos
    Maa
    Ram man or mef

I hope all you guys vote for the originals just like the 80s castle box

Heroic Warrior
    I easily ordered multiples, I have not been disappointed with much in this line and I have all the faith in the world in the Four Horsemen. This will easily be the best Grayskull ever made, anf]d hopefully it comes to fruition.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    You know, he's right. It should be Skeletor's house! "Get off my lawn, you meddling kids!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I moderated the Eternian Painters panel at Power Con this year, and Rudy said almost exactly what you figured. He had little to no direction, and figured Skeletor must own Grayskull, it looks like him!
    In King of Castle Grayskull, Teela thought that because Skeletor had the same face as the castle (although he did paint up his yellow skull as a disguise in the text), then he must have been it's rightful ruler.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    In King of Castle Grayskull, Teela thought that because Skeletor had the same face as the castle (although he did paint up his yellow skull as a disguise in the text), then he must have been it's rightful ruler.
    I thought that minicomics "story" that Skeletor had smeared somethin on his face to disguise himself in front of Teela???

[Edit]
    AH!!! I was right! I jsut went an double checked that old minicomic. On page 7 of that comic. it says "disguised" Skeletor walked into the castle.

I may still get it, but man--$300 (incl S+H) is tough. I think im just going to wait to see if the preorder goes through and if it does put off ordering until January. I know we don't get charged now, but I just have a bad feeling preordering something I havent even seen yet (should have more info by Jan I would think). I dont think 1 less preorder will shoot this thing out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I dont think 1 less preorder will shoot this thing out of the water.
    What if a thousand others are thinking the same thing you are?
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    $55.66, Wolverine. I mean carlo.
    whoa... thats really only a little more than twice the price from 28 - 30 yrs ago

and this new bigger grayskull is $200 more? or $250 more with shipping in the USA

oh wait,, shipping in the USA will be about $ 100? whaaaa...
    Last edited by carlo; November 7, 2012 at 09:11pm.
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Given so many lies and poor regard towards customer service and quality, I simply do not trust Scott and Mattel for me to blindly invest so much money on an item that doesn't even have a prototype to show for it.

If this had been released a few years ago before the true face of Scott and Mattel became apparent, I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it but after so many disappointing outcomes this year, rampant broken promises, deceit and a crash down in quality...sorry but NO.

After what happened with the Hoverboard, how on Earth do they expect us to trust them? It would be like going back to the same car dealership that sold you a car that only lasted a couple of months before it had to be scrapped.
    Last edited by kup; November 7, 2012 at 09:47pm.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Given so many lies and poor regard towards customer service and quality, I simply do not trust Scott and Mattel for me to blindly invest so much money on an item that doesn't even have a prototype to show for it.

If this had been released a few years ago before the true face of Scott and Mattel became apparent, I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it but after so many disappointing outcomes this year, rampant broken promises, deceit and a crash down in quality...sorry but NO.
    spoken for truth...
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

Speaking as a hard core he-man fan, this is a must have - BUT - the price is 250 - i live in canada - so shipping is gonna be what, 50 bucks or more? Now its 300 - one of my matty orders got nailed at customs - that cost me like 40 bucks and that was just 4 figures, this box will be huge - so if it gets nailed itll be like 60-70 bucks at customes, now its 370 bucks - this is a lot of money for a toy - and no, its not just a toy to me either, i have collected 2 of everything that has come out for this line and the 200x line - but the money is just too much. that being said, ill probably end up ordering it, because i love motu that much - but i can certainly understand those who dont.
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Action.
    A Modern-Day Pulp Magazine.
    www.intothevoid.ca

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I think that's pretty hyperbolic really, but I guess I understand some misgivings since they said "down to the last detail".
    It's not hyperbolic at all. Here's the thing. A prop replica is essentially a work of art which is designed to mimic a specific prop used in the movie, where interactivity beyond the functionality of the original prop being mimicked is irrelevant, while the level of detail being copied is crucial to it.

Conversely, with a toy, interactivity is crucial, while mimicry is a secondary goal.

Ergo, if a replica significantly fails to mimic what it is a facsimile of; it is the equivalent of a toy significantly failing to be interactive (eg an action figure with minimal or no articulation when it was intended to be super poseable), meaning that the comparison was fairly accurate.

Is it possible that multiple props were used in the films though? Movie props are hand made. No two are the same. I wonder if they had access to a prop that looked a bit different than he main "hero prop". Not making excuses, just curious.
    Yes, there were multiple props used, however Mattel had access to every single one of them. In fact early vidoes/pics showed the design team using calipers to measure every single dimension on a board.

However the inside word is that Mattel switched design teams (to put the top level design team on a more profitable [ie retail] project), and due to the egos of the new design team, those precise measurements of the original design team were thrown out the window. Word is that several Mattel employees were concerned about the train wreck it was becoming and tried to help with it but were subsequently told in no uncertain terms to "butt out!!!!"

The upshot of it was that the final product that is partially accurate to several of the different boards, but fully accurate to none of them.

Spyhunter2k from therpf.com put it best when he said:

Quote Originally Posted by Spyhunter2k
    For the record, I think the board Mattel produced isn't really a straight stunt board replica—it's a cross between a hero lenticular board replica and a stunt board/photoboard replica.

It has:

a rounded top bevel, like some hero lenticular boards,
    the light green top stripe of a hero lenticular board and BTTF II photoboard (most BTTF III photoboards had dark green stripes on top)
    no velcro on the light green top stripe, like a BTTF II photoboard
    a sticker filling in for true lentilcular like the photoboards
    a sticker that looks very different from the sticker on the photoboards, being a bit darker and closer in appearance to a lenticular surface than the photoboard background sticker, and without the distortion of the pattern that the photoboards had
    magnets that look like they were computer-drafted by a 3-year-old using Skechup for the very first time, and which have completely different dimensions than those attached to the bottom of every known hero and photoboard.
    In case you're wondering, yes, he means the magnets aren't accurate to any of the boards that were made. Also the screw holes underneath don't match up with any of the boards either. If they'd just picked one board and replicated it (the "hero" board would have made the most sense as prop replicas are designed to be display pieces), things would have turned out much differently with it - yet that would make far too much common sense.

In short, it's far more of a toy Hoverboard than it is a prop replica and it's the equivalent of preordering an action figure and being given a toy soldier instead.

Grayskull is a very different beast than a flat bit of plastic with a big old decal on it though.
    It's a "different beast" but the zoo is still the same, figuratively speaking. Everyone keeps presuming this is going to be done by the Horsemen, but then considering the design team Mattel pulled on the Hoverboard, how can we be guaranteed that it will be designed by them from start to finish?

Then you have the features promised. Mattel has promised the earth with this in terms of playset features (ie the mother of all Castle Grayskull playsets), yet they promised complete movie accuracy (ie the mother of Hoverboard replicas) with the Hoverboard too. What's to stop them from massively cheaping out on Castle Grayskul just like they did with the Hoverboard?

Now people can say that this will be different, but if that's the case, then why when I asked Scott how this will be different to the Hoverboard (clearly stating that what happened to the Hoverboard is what has me on the fence at best with preordering a Castle Grayskull), did he not only rave about the Hoverboard, but state a hope that Castle Grayskull was as well executed as the Hoverboard has been?

Honestly, I currently have no confidence in Mattel with this and the irony is that I want the reassurance from them I need to be able to trust them enough to lay down money for one on a preorder.

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    What if a thousand others are thinking the same thing you are?
    I know--I know--I've thought about that too and I'm going to think about this over the weekend and decide to preorder or not (before Monday). I still think this has a good chance to make it. I mean, I think the sub wasn't as close as this to d-day and magically the last night the orders jumped like 40 %. At first, I had an issue with space, and I figured out a place where I could put it--now it's just the money issues. Alot of things can happen in a year, and although I would be ok for the money this year, next year--who knows? I wish we could actually pay NOW and I would feel more comfortable about it ironically.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    No, there are several inconsistencies between a 100% movie accurate prop replica (which is what they offered) and what they've produced (missing lenticular material, missing velcro, incorrect spacing with magnets, wrong screw holes with the battery pack, and so the list goes on). Remember, this wasn't a toy made to resemble a Hoverboard, this was a "100% movie accurate prop replica, down to the last detail".

For anyone asking "what's the bid deal"; it's the equivalent of preordering a "super articulated action figures" and then having the final product turn out to have minimal, if any, articulation.

As I said, click on that link I gave you to that thread on therpf.com where all the inconsistencies are mentioned, if you want to see exactly what is wrong.
    I'm sorry, but I am still not understanding what is wrong with the Hoverboard. I've looked at that thread, but no one has posted a comparison pick from the one in the movie to the actual toy. I haven't watched a BttF movie in 20 years, so I have no idea what it is supposed to look like.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    whoa... thats really only a little more than twice the price from 28 - 30 yrs ago

and this new bigger grayskull is $200 more? or $250 more with shipping in the USA

oh wait,, shipping in the USA will be about $ 100? whaaaa...

No.

I live in NYC, so the shipping from CA would be one of the higher rates. I opted for UPS, and the total with shipping and 8.875% tax was about $303.

So shipping in the U.S. is not at all near $100.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I'm sorry, but I am still not understanding what is wrong with the Hoverboard. I've looked at that thread, but no one has posted a comparison pick from the one in the movie to the actual toy. I haven't watched a BttF movie in 20 years, so I have no idea what it is supposed to look like.
    First off, check out post #1210 in that thread for a movie shot.

In terms of the underside comparison, check out this image highlighting the problem:

The irony is that the original NYTF version was actually far more accurate than the SDCC version.

As for the top, it might be worth posting in the thread and asking for some kind of comparison to satisfy your own curiousity.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    No.

I live in NYC, so the shipping from CA would be one of the higher rates. I opted for UPS, and the total with shipping and 8.875% tax was about $303.

So shipping in the U.S. is not at all near $100.
    Agreed!

I'm in michigan. Shipping with USPS was &19 something, and UPS was $20.70

My total for Everything is $270.70

Sooooo yeah, US buyers... don't let the horror stories about shipping scare you away!!! Go to the website and see for yourself. You can check out all the prices without ACTUALLY ordering anything.

Make Prahvus please!! marndt8448's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by j-man View Post
    Speaking as a hard core he-man fan, this is a must have - BUT - the price is 250 - i live in canada - so shipping is gonna be what, 50 bucks or more? Now its 300 - one of my matty orders got nailed at customs - that cost me like 40 bucks and that was just 4 figures, this box will be huge - so if it gets nailed itll be like 60-70 bucks at customes, now its 370 bucks
    You state you live in Ontario so if you are using USPS, customs could be 13% (Ontario's HST) of $250. That is $32.50 in taxes plus an additional $10 handling fee, so $42.50 that you may not have to pay (Canada Customs only randomly selects parcels to be inspected for purposes of collecting customs fees, as they are still more concerned with stopping contraband items rather than collecting taxes). So if you are using USPS, you do not have to worry about something as high as a $60-70 customs charge.

...of course, using UPS could incur their brokerage fees on top of the $32.50 in taxes and their $15 handling fee. That could bring you closer to the customs charges you are afraid of though.

yeah its always risky, ill probaby still get it, but i can see some fans being a bit nervous about forking out the cash. i think matty should've done 200 bucks even. that seems a bit more reasonable - not sure of this, but i thought that was going to be the price in the first place - but i dont remember for sure.
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Action.
    A Modern-Day Pulp Magazine.
    www.intothevoid.ca

Heroic Warrior

After what happened with the Hoverboard, how on Earth do they expect us to trust them? It would be like going back to the same car dealership that sold you a car that only lasted a couple of months before it had to be scrapped.
    I cannot agree more !

Quote Originally Posted by j-man View Post
    yeah its always risky, ill probaby still get it, but i can see some fans being a bit nervous about forking out the cash. i think matty should've done 200 bucks even. that seems a bit more reasonable - not sure of this, but i thought that was going to be the price in the first place - but i dont remember for sure.
    Yeah, if I could've had this for $200-250 flat without having to worry about all the extra fees (customs, shipping) it would've likely been an instant buy.

Pushing it over $300 is, well, pushing it (for me anyway).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app