Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Still on the fence? Message from Toy Guru

Heroic Warrior
    I preordered, but unless they get a slew of additional preorders from holdouts the next few days, it doesn't look like even the minimum will be met. :/. Then again, the 2013 sub took until the last day or so to meet the goal, so....
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I, for one, feel the BTTF Hoverboard comparisons and comments are totally off-base.

Sure, it's the same company, but that's like using complaints about the (IMO poor quality) Retro RGB figures to predict the quality of MOTUC Two Bad.

As far as I know, the FOUR HORSEMEN didn't work on the Hoverboard.

Want an accurate predictor of CG's quality?
    Try looking at the WIND RAIDER.
    One of the highest quality, most elegantly-crafted, fan-approved toy item ever released!

If you just don't want CG, or think it's too expensive, that's perfectly understandable "as is".
    But inventing arguments is a little ridiculous IMO.

Heroic Warrior
    Want an accurate predictor of CG's quality?
    Try looking at the WIND RAIDER.
    One of the highest quality, most elegantly-crafted, fan-approved toy item ever released!

You took an unfortunate example as far as quality is concerned, I'm afraid : some Wind Raiders were missing their laser cannons, others had problems with the anchor's launching device, some were missing the back rudder, and paint issues were also reported (when you let a figure sitting in the Wind Raider for too long, some paint from the figure would "peal" and stick on the Wind Raider's seat, or the Wind Raider's seat paint would "peal" and stick to the figure's derričre)...

Matty was not able to release a good quality vehicle with he Wind Raider...

Matty encountered many QC issues with the MOTUC figures.

I'm not so certain we should trust Matty or put blindly our faith and confidence into the fact that Castle Grayskull will be flawless...
    Last edited by Prahvus; November 8, 2012 at 01:40pm.

Heroic Warrior
    i know this makes me a bad fan but heres my view:

while i want a CG extremely bad the money it costs is ridculous. i can easily buy a vintage boxed one for the same price if not less and that would be a much cooler and harder to get item than this brand new one which we cant even get a gaurantee on how it will really turn out. plus i already have the 200x one which i dont think is too bad. and thats not on display so im sure a new one i get wouldnt be either.

so i kinda hope this doesnt meet the preorder goal. because if they dont make it i dont miss out on anything. if it does go through ill end up preordering in january because i dont think i can live with out having it if i know its been made. is this wrong, probably so but thats how i honestly feel and probably others feel the same way.

and i know CG is much more iconic and crucial to the story but again i feel the 200x one is good enough. id much rather spend this money on a snake mountain.
    Last edited by classic; November 8, 2012 at 01:55pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I, for one, feel the BTTF Hoverboard comparisons and comments are totally off-base.

Sure, it's the same company, but that's like using complaints about the (IMO poor quality) Retro RGB figures to predict the quality of MOTUC Two Bad.
    And yet you simultaneously miss the issue here and refer to it in the same hit.

You say that the Four Horsemen didn't work on the Hoverboard and while that is true, Mattel did originally put the best of their in-house designers to work on it, only for that team to get gutted and for a vastly inferior design team to replace it (based on their work - ie the SDCC and NYCC versions compared the the NYTF version of the original design team).

And that's the problem. You bring up Ghostbusters figures, ignoring the fact that your comparison actually highlights my point. The Four Horsemen started out working on Ghostbusters figures, only Matty pulled them off it and replaced it with their in house team.

In short there is a precedent, both for Mattel pulling the Four Horsemen off collector lines/projects, and for Matty replacing the design team on high ticket preorder items with a vastly less competent design team, once the preorder period has ended.

Furthermore when I asked Toyguru for reassurance on this after what happened with the Hoverboard, he would not give me a straight answer.

Claiming that such a concern is ridiculous when not only the relevant precedents exist, but also when Scott refuses to openly rule out a scenario where the Horsemen get pulled from the project after the preorder period; is nothing short of willfully ignorant historical revisionism.
    Last edited by bowspearer; November 8, 2012 at 02:40pm.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    @Irian & Crusader: Common you two, start saving now. You two need that Castle!
    I don't need to save up for it, since I have the money, I just don't want to pay 150$ (or more) on shipping and customs.

If Mattel had put a little more effort in finding a better solution for international fans, the minimum amount would have been met by now.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I don't need to save up for it, since I have the money, I just don't want to pay 150$ (or more) on shipping and customs.

If Mattel had put a little more effort in finding a better solution for international fans, the minimum amount would have been met by now.
    We are living close bro' , but cmon, we cant miss Castle Grayskull! you may regret it!

Quote Originally Posted by Arvulis View Post
    We are living close bro' , but cmon, we cant miss Castle Grayskull! you may regret it!
    Well, in a way I'm already regretting it because I'd love to own a MOTUC Castle Grayskull, especially if turns out like the Mark Taylor prototype. I have the vintage castle, I have the 200X version, I ordered the Icon Heroes statue ... so my collection will definitely feel incomplete.

But 350$ is too much to take a gamble on. Even if the design of the product is great, the factory will inevitably botch a couple of them and there are no replacements on this one. If I would be assured that the box and the contents would be delivered in pristine condition, then I might consider coughing up 350 beans for it. Alas, from what Mattel has given me in the past, I'm not very enclined to do that anymore.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

Well I'd like to say Kudos to Scott or whomever in Mattel sent the word out, cause on G4TV's Attack of the Show The Feed segment Mattel got a push to sell Grayskull in their report.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    Well I'd like to say Kudos to Scott or whomever in Mattel sent the word out, cause on G4TV's Attack of the Show The Feed segment Mattel got a push to sell Grayskull in their report.
    That's too awesome! Some good news in a good thread! Too much negativity going on...thank you for sharing!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    That is great news, seems the Castle may need the exposure. I sure hope we hit that bar!

Hmm, we've got all this Hoverboard reference material but where are the enlarged blueprints of Castle Grayskull? I'm more upset that I haven't been able to read the notes on the interior plans all this time!

Still, it's not enough to stop me from pre-ordering. I want a MOTUC Castle Grayskull. The 4H have been an integral part of MOTUC since the beginning of the line and they're waiting to start working on this beast! It feels like a safe bet that they'll be on-board the whole way through. However, I'll feel cheated if the final design ends up looking like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post
    Hmm, we've got all this Hoverboard reference material but where are the enlarged blueprints of Castle Grayskull? I'm more upset that I haven't been able to read the notes on the interior plans all this time!
    Big pics have been available all over the web since the beginning. Here's a link from a great site:

http://castlegrayskull.info/?p=33
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

All over the web. Except on Mattel's own site. Schmucks.

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    Yeah, well, they've never had big pics on the site. I don't think they know how to do it.
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    You took an unfortunate example as far as quality is concerned, I'm afraid : some Wind Raiders were missing their laser cannons, others had problems with the anchor's launching device, some were missing the back rudder, and paint issues were also reported (when you let a figure sitting in the Wind Raider for too long, some paint from the figure would "peal" and stick on the Wind Raider's seat, or the Wind Raider's seat paint would "peal" and stick to the figure's derričre)...

Matty was not able to release a good quality vehicle with he Wind Raider...
    I have 4 of them and all of mine were fine. If I was to guess I bet the main problem was missing parts.

And I would have to agree that the Wind Raider is one of the greatest toys ever made.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Big pics have been available all over the web since the beginning. Here's a link from a great site:

http://castlegrayskull.info/?p=33
    Thanks! I've seen most of the blueprints at a decent size but hadn't found the large version of the big sheet that included the interior notes. It's much more legible now and the interior details look great!

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Yeah, well, they've never had big pics on the site. I don't think they know how to do it.
    Yeah, now I feel dumb for continuously looking through Matty's site for the large detailed pics, heheh...I'm glad that I got to see them before the deadline. Thanks again, guys, I feel better about my pre-order already!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post
    It feels like a safe bet that they'll be on-board the whole way through.
    Were it not for the stunt they pulled with the Hoverboard, I'd be inclined to agree. However in light of what happened there, Mattel really do need to come out and say that the 4H will not be removed from the project by them at any point between now and when it's released - the reason being that they're effectively "backing themselves into a corner" on the subject, so that they can't remove them from the project down the track, without it coming back to bite them in the backside.

I posted this in the CG Discussion thread, but i think it bares repeating here, with apologies:

I had given up on the line a few years back.

Bought five figures then called it quits. Then I heard about Castle Grayskull.
    The possibility of this playset getting a 4H update was such a strong pull that I have tripled my collection in only a few weeks! I love my figures, but the centerpiece is definitely that Castle. I'll be heart-broken if it doesn't happen. What made the original line great was the combo of magnificently imagination-friendly design and the playability and poseability of the myriad playsets and vehicles.

It's just not He-Man without Castle Grayskull.

In my mind, the line itself is for naught without it's addition. These figures demand an equally fantastic playset to live in. You may have your doubts about Mattel's ability to pull it off. You may have misgivings when you look at some of the non-MOTU offerings that have gone awry. You may be all too aware of the frustrating QC issues with a few of the figures in your own collection.

Being a collector can sometimes be jading. We know too much about how these toys are made. The days when we were surprised when we discovered the latest toys on the shelf are long gone, sadly. As nearly as any line has renewed that nostalgic feeling of giddy excitement, MOTU Classics has done that the best. It's such a crime that these amazing toys will, for the most part, not find their ways into children's hands. I remember the visceral delight I had in these toys as a child.

Pre-ordering Castle Grayskull is a gamble. It's the same gamble you take when you re-up your yearly subscription. Every figure is an opportunity to succeed spectacularly or fail dreadfully. I believe the tremendous love and quality put into this line keeps us all here. At your core, if you didn't believe in and love this stuff, you would not be here.

I'm new here. I haven't been in the Classics game as long as most of you,but I cannot shed my enthusiasm for what could be a spectacular playset. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is in a big way. It's going to be great. It's going to be ridiculously amazing. Will it be perfect in everyone's eyes? Oh no. No. NO. But it's definitely the one shot we have at this kind of MOTU greatness. It will never come again. Nobody else will even try. If not now, then most certainly never. With those stakes, I'm willing to take the chance that it won't be perfect. I'm planning on it not being perfect. But it'll still be magnificent.

It'll still be glorious. For the feeling I'll have when the giant box is delivered, I open the box, pull out all the parts, and gingerly start putting together this mammoth toy, then start finding the best spots for my favorite figures, I'm in. 100%.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Well, in a way I'm already regretting it because I'd love to own a MOTUC Castle Grayskull, especially if turns out like the Mark Taylor prototype. I have the vintage castle, I have the 200X version, I ordered the Icon Heroes statue ... so my collection will definitely feel incomplete.

But 350$ is too much to take a gamble on. Even if the design of the product is great, the factory will inevitably botch a couple of them and there are no replacements on this one. If I would be assured that the box and the contents would be delivered in pristine condition, then I might consider coughing up 350 beans for it. Alas, from what Mattel has given me in the past, I'm not very enclined to do that anymore.
    Who says there will be no replacements? If they ship a faulty product they have to replace it, of course. Also i bet you can easily sell it in europe, if its Look doesnīt please you.
    Think about it dude AN UR-MARK TAYLOR GRAYSKULL!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I have 4 of them and all of mine were fine. If I was to guess I bet the main problem was missing parts.

And I would have to agree that the Wind Raider is one of the greatest toys ever made.
    Oh, we're all happy to learn that YOUR Wind Raiders were fine. However, that was not the case for everyone, and the WR flaws were enough to keep some fans away from it. And if the Wind Raider was such a great item, it is weird to notice that it didn't sell very well and very quick, especially the second time it was on sale... I personally think the price was not the only factor.
    Last edited by Prahvus; November 9, 2012 at 02:30am.

If you simply don't want it, can't afford it, and don't have the room for it are valid excuses for not ordering CG. I don't get; however, people hoping it doesn't get made so it can "teach Mattel a lesson". Why does Mattel's "lesson" have to ruin it for thousands of other fans, because you have had a bad experience. The truth is those are the only people you are going to be hurting...not Mattel.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Customikey View Post
    What made the original line great was the combo of magnificently imagination-friendly design and the playability and poseability of the myriad playsets and vehicles.

It's just not He-Man without Castle Grayskull.

In my mind, the line itself is for naught without it's addition.
    Agree.

I commented before on a thread about 'is MOTUC the greatest MOTU line ever'... and my answer there was NO. As cool as it is, it still can't compare to the original vintage line.

The figures are mostly superior, but the original line had vehicles. Battle Rams, Jet Sleds, Spidor's and land sharks... It was Glorious. I still remember my road rippers and Attack Traks crawling across the kitchen.

Without vehicles it is still a pale copy of what the original line was.

That goest Quadrupal for CASTLE GRAYSKULL. Like Scott or Pixel Dan said in one of the letters/reviews things.. Castle Grayskull set the standard for Playsets in the 80's. I never saw another that was CLOSE to the awesomeness of that castle. Even other MOTU were lame in comparison... Snake mountain was a massive disappointment to me... (seriously should have had a level or two on the inside... Really?!?! Half the inside was 'lava monster trap'... )

Crystal Castle came CLOSE.... You could at least play INSIDE and Outside.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agree.

I commented before on a thread about 'is MOTUC the greatest MOTU line ever'... and my answer there was NO. As cool as it is, it still can't compare to the original vintage line.

The figures are mostly superior, but the original line had vehicles. Battle Rams, Jet Sleds, Spidor's and land sharks... It was Glorious. I still remember my road rippers and Attack Traks crawling across the kitchen.

Without vehicles it is still a pale copy of what the original line was.

That goest Quadrupal for CASTLE GRAYSKULL. Like Scott or Pixel Dan said in one of the letters/reviews things.. Castle Grayskull set the standard for Playsets in the 80's. I never saw another that was CLOSE to the awesomeness of that castle. Even other MOTU were lame in comparison... Snake mountain was a massive disappointment to me... (seriously should have had a level or two on the inside... Really?!?! Half the inside was 'lava monster trap'... )

Crystal Castle came CLOSE.... You could at least play INSIDE and Outside.

I agree, but the vintage line is not for collector, there are different kind of item.
    ULTIMO MUTOC ACQUISTATO:
    demo-man
    sto leggendo:
    the new 52
    Progetto 18 il mio blog http://progettodiciotto.blogspot.com/

Who says there will be no replacements? If they ship a faulty product they have to replace it, of course. Also i bet you can easily sell it in europe, if its Look doesnīt please you.
    It seems like this has changed now, but originally they had this line in the ordering information:

If this item reaches the pre-order goal, there will be NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES, even if the design or features change.

Think about it dude AN UR-MARK TAYLOR GRAYSKULL!!!
    That's the only thing keeping me on the fence ... a chance of having a full on Mark Taylor prototype inspired Grayskull. It's the only chance we'll ever get for this version of CG. No one will ever propose that look again, but in this line it makes so much sense, since we already have Vykron, Vikor, Demo-Man, Gygor, ...

Darn, man, you got me in doubt again