Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Still on the fence? Message from Toy Guru

I'd love to see an add-in figure thrown into the box. Prob just me. But I can think of several suitable candidates: Kuduk Ungol, Morgoth, full-sized Zoar, King Skeletor, etc. But I'm guessing that an add-in figure would cause more dismay than interest.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    You took an unfortunate example as far as quality is concerned, I'm afraid : some Wind Raiders were missing their laser cannons, others had problems with the anchor's launching device, some were missing the back rudder, and paint issues were also reported (when you let a figure sitting in the Wind Raider for too long, some paint from the figure would "peal" and stick on the Wind Raider's seat, or the Wind Raider's seat paint would "peal" and stick to the figure's derričre)...

Matty was not able to release a good quality vehicle with he Wind Raider...

Matty encountered many QC issues with the MOTUC figures.

I'm not so certain we should trust Matty or put blindly our faith and confidence into the fact that Castle Grayskull will be flawless...
    Are you speaking from personal experience, or from a very few isolated incidents with regard to Wind Raider QC issues? As far as I saw from forum posts, there were no widespread problems on that release aside from its ill-chosen release date and doom and gloom-inspiring negative comments Toyguru made following its first "okay" sell-out (but not actual sell-out).

Looking at my WR, it pretty much is perfect, which means I can't be the only one. So it only stands to reason that as long as they follow the same protocols with CG as they did with WR, that more than a few fans will get outstanding if not perfect CGs as well. And if some slight paint issues or the odd missing accessory are the only problems with CG's production, then I'd gladly take one of the "flawed" ones if that means other fans get great ones.

Nit-picking the WR has pretty much zero bearing on CG as far as I'm concerned. I mean are we MotU fans, or not? Don't we want a (worst case scenario) so-so Grayskull more than we want no Grayskull at all? I'm usually ALL FOR holding Mattel's feet to the fire and wanting them to be accountable, but only when we actually have the problem to complain about. All of this cart-before-the-horse prognosticating on "what if" problems with CG isn't doing anyone any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    And yet you simultaneously miss the issue here and refer to it in the same hit.

You say that the Four Horsemen didn't work on the Hoverboard and while that is true, Mattel did originally put the best of their in-house designers to work on it, only for that team to get gutted and for a vastly inferior design team to replace it (based on their work - ie the SDCC and NYCC versions compared the the NYTF version of the original design team).

And that's the problem. You bring up Ghostbusters figures, ignoring the fact that your comparison actually highlights my point. The Four Horsemen started out working on Ghostbusters figures, only Matty pulled them off it and replaced it with their in house team.

In short there is a precedent, both for Mattel pulling the Four Horsemen off collector lines/projects, and for Matty replacing the design team on high ticket preorder items with a vastly less competent design team, once the preorder period has ended.

Furthermore when I asked Toyguru for reassurance on this after what happened with the Hoverboard, he would not give me a straight answer.

Claiming that such a concern is ridiculous when not only the relevant precedents exist, but also when Scott refuses to openly rule out a scenario where the Horsemen get pulled from the project after the preorder period; is nothing short of willfully ignorant historical revisionism.
    You either didn't read my post carefully, or you were more interested in pivoting the content to make your own point
    The 4H never had anything to do with the RETRO REAL GHOSTBUSTERS figures.
    I'm talking about the MEGO style dolls.

Regardless, the 4H themselves are huge MotU fans (so much so that they unsolicitedly pitched not only the MOTUC figure line, but the vehicles as well!) and as they say themselves have been chomping at the bit to sculpt the Castle. The Ghostbusters MOVIE line on the other hand, they specifically said they were too busy to keep doing it, and no way were they gonna drop either DC or MotU in favor of GB. So the 4H sure as heck wanna do this one right from start to finish. And Mattel has no incentive to make it otherwise. In fact, there would be a HUGE fan backlash if we learned Mattel let in-house people do extensive CG alterations or creation in favor of the 4H. Mattel knows this.

Also, you're assuming a lot saying the very best design staff was replaced with a vastly inferior one. For all you know, it could be the exact same people and those "wrong" changes were requested by the licensor. (Which, funny enough, is what happened with the movie GB figures the Horsemen DID work on, where their cool head sculpts were dumbed down during the approvals process... yet another thing we don't have to worry about with CG since Mattel owns MotU.)

I'm sorry for BTTF fans that the Hoverboard didn't turn out as well as expected, I really am. But the Hoverboard and CG are total apples and oranges. The Hoverboard has a very specific design in the movie, with no other "interpretations" from any other source. There's one source and one source alone, so it's easy to compare A to B and spot the differences like a kid's activity book. But even if there were wiggle room to make a different version, there's no such thing as the "4H of BTTF" who are as proprietary to the creative vision of BTTF prop replicas as the 4H are with MotU collectibles.

So where the Hoverboard can categorically be "wrong" compared to the source, however the 4H decide to make Castle Grayskull will automatically be "right" because it will be their version. You might disagree with their take, prefer Filmation, or whatever. But it can't be a wrong version, simply the 4H's version.

Heroic Warrior
    I predict that no one who buys a CG will ever regret doing so. This thing is going to be epic!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    You either didn't read my post carefully, or you were more interested in pivoting the content to make your own point The 4H never had anything to do with the RETRO REAL GHOSTBUSTERS figures. I'm talking about the MEGO style dolls.
    No I just found it ironic that in completely missing the point, you'd actually managed to indirectly allude to an example which proved that there's a precedent for the Horsemen being pulled from projects by Mattel.

Regardless, the 4H themselves are huge MotU fans (so much so that they unsolicitedly pitched not only the MOTUC figure line, but the vehicles as well!) and as they say themselves have been chomping at the bit to sculpt the Castle. The Ghostbusters MOVIE line on the other hand, they specifically said they were too busy to keep doing it, and no way were they gonna drop either DC or MotU in favor of GB. So the 4H sure as heck wanna do this one right from start to finish. And Mattel has no incentive to make it otherwise. In fact, there would be a HUGE fan backlash if we learned Mattel let in-house people do extensive CG alterations or creation in favor of the 4H. Mattel knows this.
    Again that's the 4H and until they call the shots on this and not Mattel, what they want is wishful thinking (bear in mind that if it was upto them, we'd have had a Battle Ram a few years ago too).

Furthermore you say Mattel has no incentive to make it otherwise, yet I can think of a 6 letter word that's plenty of motivation - profit. The fact is that with people locked in to a preorder, they have no incentive to keep things as they are currently with the preorder.

Finally you bring up a backlash, but this is a company which last I checked was still trying a bait and switch with the hoverboard (despite the public statement allowing cancellations which only happened at the 11th hour when people were starting to talk class action lawsuit; Mattycollector were still stonewalling on cancellations unless people called them and threatened legal action). Do you really think that if they're going to show such flagrant disregard for their customers when their own wording on the Hoverboard made things open and shut, that they're giong to worry when they have a disclaimer on the sale page covering them?

Also, you're assuming a lot saying the very best design staff was replaced with a vastly inferior one. For all you know, it could be the exact same people and those "wrong" changes were requested by the licensor. (Which, funny enough, is what happened with the movie GB figures the Horsemen DID work on, where their cool head sculpts were dumbed down during the approvals process... yet another thing we don't have to worry about with CG since Mattel owns MotU.)
    I'm not assuming anything. In the wake of the HB debacle, more than one person has come out who have inside knowledge and have said that this is what went down. As the old saying goes; where there's smoke; there's fire.

I'm sorry for BTTF fans that the Hoverboard didn't turn out as well as expected, I really am. But the Hoverboard and CG are total apples and oranges. The Hoverboard has a very specific design in the movie, with no other "interpretations" from any other source. There's one source and one source alone, so it's easy to compare A to B and spot the differences like a kid's activity book. But even if there were wiggle room to make a different version, there's no such thing as the "4H of BTTF" who are as proprietary to the creative vision of BTTF prop replicas as the 4H are with MotU collectibles.
    And yet there are alot of common factors. They still have the same Brand Manager and they still have the same financial control issues, to name 2 common denominators off the top of my head. That's ignoring the fact that in both cases you are working towards a specific brief- the quality of the design team involved will be a factor in the. You seem to be forgetting that the 4H are ultimately in a subcontractor role here, not an ultimate creative control one. If Mattel wanted to, they could technicaly pull the 4H off CG the day after the preorder period and there's be nothing the 4H could do about it.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntumbuluku View Post
    I predict that no one who buys a CG will ever regret doing so. This thing is going to be epic!
    I predict the same my friend. This will be so awesome!!!

bowspearer, I appreciate the attempt to be vigilant and watch out for fans.

But it does seem like you're approaching it backwards, like you don't want a CG anyway and are just looking for reasons to support that POV.

At the end of the day, every fan has to make up their own mind and decide whether or not it's worth the gamble.
    And for me, it absolutely is, because this is Grayskull.
    For almost anything else, I really feel like I'd be on your side, saying we don't trust Mattel enough.
    I've never been a subscriber, and I oppose many of the decisions Mattel has made on MOTUC.
    But this is Castle Grayskull. I feel like this is a special exception above any other.
    This is the one and only shot to get an official release of the Mark Taylor vision.

And again, even if you imagine a worst case scenario where the 4H do the rough clay alone, and then Mattel snatches it away and makes it crappier than it would've been, it's still gonna be a Grayskull the 4H got the ball rolling on, it's still gonna be in scale to the MOTUC figures, and it will still be better than nothing.

That's all I can say. No one is gonna be convinced by anyone's posts on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Customikey View Post
    I posted this in the CG Discussion thread, but i think it bares repeating here, with apologies:

I had given up on the line a few years back.

Bought five figures then called it quits. Then I heard about Castle Grayskull.
    The possibility of this playset getting a 4H update was such a strong pull that I have tripled my collection in only a few weeks! I love my figures, but the centerpiece is definitely that Castle. I'll be heart-broken if it doesn't happen. What made the original line great was the combo of magnificently imagination-friendly design and the playability and poseability of the myriad playsets and vehicles.

It's just not He-Man without Castle Grayskull.

In my mind, the line itself is for naught without it's addition. These figures demand an equally fantastic playset to live in. You may have your doubts about Mattel's ability to pull it off. You may have misgivings when you look at some of the non-MOTU offerings that have gone awry. You may be all too aware of the frustrating QC issues with a few of the figures in your own collection.

Being a collector can sometimes be jading. We know too much about how these toys are made. The days when we were surprised when we discovered the latest toys on the shelf are long gone, sadly. As nearly as any line has renewed that nostalgic feeling of giddy excitement, MOTU Classics has done that the best. It's such a crime that these amazing toys will, for the most part, not find their ways into children's hands. I remember the visceral delight I had in these toys as a child.

Pre-ordering Castle Grayskull is a gamble. It's the same gamble you take when you re-up your yearly subscription. Every figure is an opportunity to succeed spectacularly or fail dreadfully. I believe the tremendous love and quality put into this line keeps us all here. At your core, if you didn't believe in and love this stuff, you would not be here.

I'm new here. I haven't been in the Classics game as long as most of you,but I cannot shed my enthusiasm for what could be a spectacular playset. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is in a big way. It's going to be great. It's going to be ridiculously amazing. Will it be perfect in everyone's eyes? Oh no. No. NO. But it's definitely the one shot we have at this kind of MOTU greatness. It will never come again. Nobody else will even try. If not now, then most certainly never. With those stakes, I'm willing to take the chance that it won't be perfect. I'm planning on it not being perfect. But it'll still be magnificent.

It'll still be glorious. For the feeling I'll have when the giant box is delivered, I open the box, pull out all the parts, and gingerly start putting together this mammoth toy, then start finding the best spots for my favorite figures, I'm in. 100%.
    Awesome post man. Thank you for coming on an giving us another fresh perspective. We can be a jaded bunch.

Filmation fan & proud redsquadron's Avatar
    No, I'm not on the fence, I'm resolutely on the side of "NO! I can't afford it"
    I survived the 2013 sub ordeal!
    "We achieved the impossible, and that makes us MIGHTY" (Mal Reynolds, captain of Serenity)

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by jerec350 View Post
    If this thing gets made I want to recreate this photo of me and then create one of my son with his castle too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...0/DSC00324.jpg
    The best is that you have basically the same characters I had when I got mine at that age!

Quote Originally Posted by Customikey View Post
    I posted this in the CG Discussion thread, but i think it bares repeating here, with apologies:

I had given up on the line a few years back.

Bought five figures then called it quits. Then I heard about Castle Grayskull.
    The possibility of this playset getting a 4H update was such a strong pull that I have tripled my collection in only a few weeks! I love my figures, but the centerpiece is definitely that Castle. I'll be heart-broken if it doesn't happen. What made the original line great was the combo of magnificently imagination-friendly design and the playability and poseability of the myriad playsets and vehicles.

It's just not He-Man without Castle Grayskull.

In my mind, the line itself is for naught without it's addition. These figures demand an equally fantastic playset to live in. You may have your doubts about Mattel's ability to pull it off. You may have misgivings when you look at some of the non-MOTU offerings that have gone awry. You may be all too aware of the frustrating QC issues with a few of the figures in your own collection.

Being a collector can sometimes be jading. We know too much about how these toys are made. The days when we were surprised when we discovered the latest toys on the shelf are long gone, sadly. As nearly as any line has renewed that nostalgic feeling of giddy excitement, MOTU Classics has done that the best. It's such a crime that these amazing toys will, for the most part, not find their ways into children's hands. I remember the visceral delight I had in these toys as a child.

Pre-ordering Castle Grayskull is a gamble. It's the same gamble you take when you re-up your yearly subscription. Every figure is an opportunity to succeed spectacularly or fail dreadfully. I believe the tremendous love and quality put into this line keeps us all here. At your core, if you didn't believe in and love this stuff, you would not be here.

I'm new here. I haven't been in the Classics game as long as most of you,but I cannot shed my enthusiasm for what could be a spectacular playset. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is in a big way. It's going to be great. It's going to be ridiculously amazing. Will it be perfect in everyone's eyes? Oh no. No. NO. But it's definitely the one shot we have at this kind of MOTU greatness. It will never come again. Nobody else will even try. If not now, then most certainly never. With those stakes, I'm willing to take the chance that it won't be perfect. I'm planning on it not being perfect. But it'll still be magnificent.

It'll still be glorious. For the feeling I'll have when the giant box is delivered, I open the box, pull out all the parts, and gingerly start putting together this mammoth toy, then start finding the best spots for my favorite figures, I'm in. 100%.
    Love this---^
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
    I have 4 of them and all of mine were fine. If I was to guess I bet the main problem was missing parts.

And I would have to agree that the Wind Raider is one of the greatest toys ever made.
    Nothing wrong with my Wind Raider either…it's pretty fantastic actually.
    The reported QC issues with the WR seemed pretty isolated to me.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    bowspearer, I appreciate the attempt to be vigilant and watch out for fans.

But it does seem like you're approaching it backwards, like you don't want a CG anyway and are just looking for reasons to support that POV.
    It's not that I'm approaching it backwards at all. What people don't really seem to be conscious of is the HB debacle is still ongoing and had been incredibly recent.

The thing is that everything everyone is saying about Castle Grayskull we all said about the Hoverboard. "It's a high end prop replica- it's not going to be like most of their figures." "They're taking exact measurements from the actual props, there's no way they can stuff this up."

None of us even remotely considered that the Hoverboard design team would be pulled and switched.

These are all the things that everyone says about Castle Grayskull. Those of us who preordered a Hoverboard have heard it before- heck, we've thought and said it ourselves. And what we learned is the onyl thing blind faith in Mattel gets you is screwed over!

Then when it all came out in the wash, Mattel literally attempted to engage in fraud by refusing cancellations (by producing a toy rather than a prop replica) and Mattycollector is still trying it on with it.

Now with Castle Grayskull, Toyguru deflects the question when I ask for a guarantee they wont pull the same crap here and there's a disclaimer in the order saying that people cannot cancel for any reason (which means they could pull the Horsemen the day after preorders and people would be trapped in something far lower in quality than what they signed up for). It's this later point which has me worried.

Also, with the Hoverboards I learned that only Mattel cares about is money - far more than the cliche that's said about toy companies - to the point where they'll literally try and act illegally if they think they can get away with it. That's destroyed any and all blind faith

However the other thing I learned is that if Mattel fear a loss of profits and image, it's amazing how quickly they can act. What caused the back-down a backlash they couldn't silence on their forums (they definitely tried) and the fact that they'd trapped themselves by the wording of the order that protected those of us who preordered one.

I hear lots of people saying "The Horsemen are committed to this and there's no way they'd be pulled from it." Noone thought they'd screw people over on the Hoverboard design team aspect of things either.

If that's the case, they can prove it! A statement claiming a guarantee that they wont pull the horsemen off of this at any time, on this from start to finish is something to trap them by if they try a stunt and remove them.

Yet Toyguru refuses to make any such statement. Until such time as he does, I'm considering this another scam. However not only am I open to being proved wrong, but I'll happily preorder one the moment I am proved wrong.

Mmmm…the Horsemen have been pushing all along to do Castle Grayskull. They're the designers for the Classics line. This is a totally different animal from the Hoverboard. The castle is almost a freeform design…there's no exact measurements to follow other than the size dimensions they've presented. The castle ISN'T going to be a high end prop replica, it's going to be a high end play set. Their QC and customer service is an ongoing, evolving animal (as any customer service should be). Based on comments I've seen recently, the customer service end has improved DRASTICALLY. I and MANY others are hoping that the minimum is sold for Castle Grayskull so this thing can go forward. It's a learning experience for both sides, Mattel and customers. This is something that so many people love, including Toyguru, and the designers (the Four Horsemen), that there's no way the castle will fail in design or execution.

I am with you 100 percent bowspearer I think that a statement to that efect the FH will not be removed from this project from begining to end from our grand master of toys himself Toy guru will go a long way in makeing sales.

As for whats keeping me on the fence how about DR CS telling me that because I filled out all the feelds when I subed for the 2013 sub and put my address in line one line two so nkow my billing adress is doubled up my shiping adress is doubled up.

It may somehow efect my shiping charges and gave me a tiket# and said my case would go to the excalation dep,and would get right back to me your kiding me right,then I mentioned that if they do not fix this and fast I will not be ordering the two Grayskulls.

I was planing on getting oh well this DR company is costing Mattycollector a lot of money I would sugest to toy guru get rid of the DR company unless its toy collectors that are the prime targets for getting ripped off im sure they think we're all stupid keep up this way of doing busines and you will fail.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Mmmm…the Horsemen have been pushing all along to do Castle Grayskull.
    And yet if Mattel decide to pull them from the project, they don't really have a say in the matter.

This is something that so many people love, including Toyguru, and the designers (the Four Horsemen), that there's no way the castle will fail in design or execution.
    Do you mean besides the possibility of Mattel pulling the Horsemen off the project between the preorder period and when it's released?
    Last edited by bowspearer; November 10, 2012 at 11:57am.

Heroic Warrior
    And yet if Mattel decide to pull them from the project, they don't really have a say in the matter.

Do you mean besides the possibility of Mattel pulling the Horsemen off the project between the preorder period and when it's released?
    Which Masters of the Universe Classics item did the Four Horsemen get pulled from? They aren't getting pulled from Castle Grayskull unless something very unfortunate happens.

Eric and Jim said at Power-Con they are going to have an even closer role working with Mattel from start to finish. They are aware of the issues and are working with Mattel to fix them.

Mattel isn't pulling the 4H from CG. This is one of their dream projects.
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by cbomb23 View Post
    Which Masters of the Universe Classics item did the Four Horsemen get pulled from? They aren't getting pulled from Castle Grayskull unless something very unfortunate happens.
    Nothing as yet. However considering the precedent with the Hoverboard where the initial design team got pulled on the ground of "profitablitiy"; there's nothing to stop Mattel from doing the same here - especially as they've refused to guarantee that the Horsemen will be working on this from start to finish.

Yet Toyguru refuses to make any such statement. Until such time as he does, I'm considering this another scam. However not only am I open to being proved wrong, but I'll happily preorder one the moment I am proved wrong.
    I don't understand this.

According to you, they are so shady as to engage in illegal acts if it suits their bottom line.

But yet you'll "blindly" hand over your $250 on the basis of a promise from a Mattel employee?

One that, as you say yourself, could be broken the moment CG is greenlit?

Heroic Warrior
    I don't understand this.
    According to you, they are so shady as to engage in illegal acts if it suits their bottom line.[/QUOTE]

Not just according to me. When the Hoverboard changed from being a "100% movie accurate prop replica" to "a really cool toy" and Mattel in turn refused to allow cancellations, they were engaging in a bait and switch. That's a statement of fact, and it's only when people started to contact their compliance department that they suddenly changed their turn and did a back-flip.

But yet you'll "blindly" hand over your $250 on the basis of a promise from a Mattel employee?

One that, as you say yourself, could be broken the moment CG is greenlit?

No, Mattel proved they can't be trusted and so I'm not going to blindly hand over money without being able to cover myself. The thing is that Scott is the Brand Manager and therefore any official guarantees he makes could be regarded as representations about the product. Ergo, if he does make said guarantee and then Mattel does pull the Horsemen from Castle Grayskull, the whole thing could be classed as a bait and switch and I would be in a position where if I would be able to cancel my preorder in that case (interestingly, the Hoverboard actually sets a precedent for that). This isn't about trusting them - this is about knowing I can cover myself if they turn around and do do something dodgy with this.

What evidence do you have that points you to this conclusion? This line wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the Four Horsemen creating a concept figure for display at San Diego ComiCon several years back. The Horsemen have always been involved with MotU Classics. To suggest that they'll be yanked from the project the moment the castle is green lit is fear mongering with no basis.

Heroic Warrior
    What evidence do you have that points you to this conclusion? This line wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the Four Horsemen creating a concept figure for display at San Diego ComiCon several years back. The Horsemen have always been involved with MotU Classics. To suggest that they'll be yanked from the project the moment the castle is green lit is fear mongering with no basis.
    Two things. First up inside sources (check out the hoverboard thread on therpf if you want to see them for yourself) have revealed that early on in design process, the design teams were switched and the design team working on it was reassigned to more profitable (retail) lines.

Secondly though, when I asked Toyguru for a guarantee that the same thing wouldn't happen here with Castle Grayskull, all I got was spin and no direct answer (check the November questions thread for a copy of it). If they're in this for the whole of the design stage, then surely such a guarantee should have been very easy to give. The fact that it wasn't suggests that at the very least, he's not confident he could make it. In short, it's a legitimate concern with significant basis.

... regardless what it will always come down to... an ppl can argue this all day if they want too but its the gods honest truth... you either want ANY MOTUC Castle Grayskull that we can get or not one at all!!!

Do whats right for yourself, your situation, and what you feel from your own personal viewpoint. Thats the correct thing to do!
    Last edited by Replikor; November 10, 2012 at 02:26pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Melfis View Post
    @Irian:

I think you are missing some $ in your calculation. Shipping costs are also part of the VAT. That would mean 350$ is the basis for the VAT calculation.
    Well, in that case it's even more unlikely I could afford it, isn't it?

Not just according to me. When the Hoverboard changed from being a "100% movie accurate prop replica" to "a really cool toy" and Mattel in turn refused to allow cancellations, they were engaging in a bait and switch. That's a statement of fact, and it's only when people started to contact their compliance department that they suddenly changed their turn and did a back-flip.

No, Mattel proved they can't be trusted and so I'm not going to blindly hand over money without being able to cover myself. The thing is that Scott is the Brand Manager and therefore any official guarantees he makes could be regarded as representations about the product. Ergo, if he does make said guarantee and then Mattel does pull the Horsemen from Castle Grayskull, the whole thing could be classed as a bait and switch and I would be in a position where if I would be able to cancel my preorder in that case (interestingly, the Hoverboard actually sets a precedent for that). This isn't about trusting them - this is about knowing I can cover myself if they turn around and do do something dodgy with this.
    No offense, but this general attitude seems to contribute to why Mattel Legal has to be so strict about everything and why customer and company can't enjoy a more laid-back, transparent discourse.

The kinds of "guarantees" you're demanding are impossible to satisfy. The 4H are only the sculptors/initial designers. For better or worse, there's a chain of custody (so to speak) that Mattel has to use. We can argue about the pros and cons of this process, but it's already in place and can't be any different for Grayksull, Hoverboards, or Barbies.

So since you're getting all "legal jargon" on it, what you're asking for can never be satisfied. How exactly would Scott be able to word something for us to not be able to claim that the 4H turned over CG to Mattel Design prematurely? And what evidence would we ever have that they did or not?

The 4H simply aren't allowed to handle 100% of the creation of Grayskull in-house without outside influence from Mattel. No matter how "finished" CG might be when it leaves the 4H Studios, it's Mattel's property, and theirs to do with as they see fit. Sometimes it results in unfortunate accidents (Prince Adam's disappearing sword holster) and sometimes it's misguided design choices (Stinkor's arms) but it HAS to pass through Mattel Design.

Sounds like you want to be able to back out of a pre-order for any reason you feel like, and it just doesn't work like that.

Look, there's just no way the 4H get pulled off Grayskull.
    Mattel (at least Scott) should know the 4H are pretty much the only reason why anyone bought and still buys MOTUC.