Thread: Mattel uses PMS Cool Gray 2C instead of White--"White looks unfinished"

Hybrid View

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Mattel uses PMS Cool Gray 2C instead of White--"White looks unfinished"

While this isn't a Masters of the Universe classics question, it does answer a question that many fans have been asking recently...

Voting day question: Why is Uncle Sam Red, GRAY, and blue?

Those colors on Uncle Sam are not right. He should be red, WHITE, and blue. Even if it's a plastic thing, as a voting American with friends who were shot at defending our flag(as eye-rolling as you may think it is), it's disrespectful.

Do I think you meant disprespect? No, but why is the color white SPECIFICALLY so difficult to get right on your figures on a consistent basis? I haven't seen the same trouble when you paint their eyes and teeth white. It's on the same darn toy.

I don't wish to hear we are always improving. I know you do your best. You take that one step forward constantly. And it's only constantly because it's proceeded and followed by one step back.

Great question. I went right to Bill from design for info:

"This is a design choice- white can look “unfinished”, so for adult collector product we chose PMS Cool Gray 2C
    to “stand in” for white. Black oversprays sometimes get heavy in production and can gray it out (I recall this happening
    on the gloves of some of the GL 5-pack figures when we initially reviewed), but usually it reads well as white and the lower contrast
    makes the figure look more sophisticated and less “toy like”.

We DO use white on the eyes to give them greater contrast and act as a “focal point” for bringing life to the figure."

-Well there you go! Hope that helps.
    Discuss.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Merry Christmas! The All American's Avatar
    These are toys, so I don't mind "toy like". Bring back the white when it makes sense, like for a Frosta!

Thanks for the post. It's always interesting to hear from someone in design regarding these types of decisions.
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

holy crap, that's an actual answer. Why have we never received something like this for the MOTUC figures? Was it really that hard to ask design and get an answer.

J

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    holy crap, that's an actual answer. Why have we never received something like this for the MOTUC figures? Was it really that hard to ask design and get an answer.

J
    Totally agree.

As far as the actual answer, it's completely baffling to me. Why does Mattel continue to consciously make these choices that they KNOW 95%+ of their customer base absolutely hates? I mean, I can understand having some initial notion about what they think would be best for whatever cockamamie reason, but when it proves to be loathed by essentially everyone buying the product, why keep doing it? Spite?

Heroic Warrior
    Zodak's white gloves looked cool on him...

They simple screw up this figure and again it's a fan fave, like Mekaneck, Stinkor, Rattlor, Spikor & Dragon Blaster Skeletor...

Guess Mattel has to learn again, how to produce action figures correctly...
    Last edited by Berserker79; November 8, 2012 at 11:44am.

I appreciate the answer but I am not a fan of "PMS Cool Gray 2C."

My new car is color "bright white", & it looks awesome.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 11.2.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Then why is BP She-Ra, Sorceress, Teela & TOD Sorceress so white, even if they are not pure white, which all but BP She-Ra are not, they are soft shades of grayish white....Frosta the one figure that should have at least the white of Sorceress is pure gray....What the hell?

Response and answer or not, the answer absolutely makes no sense.
    Recent.... Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Coming.... Mermista
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Double Mischief, Jitsu....
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

What a bunch of BS. They use the grey because it's CHEAPER. Hasbro does the same thing with a Gray or Off-color 'creamy' whites instead of a true white. The more premium Japanese line do the same molds in true white and they look much, MUCH better because standards are higher in their market.

They use Grey because it's cheaper - That's the only true reason.

Do they still expect us to trust them with Castle Grayskull with this sort of deceitful mentality?

I appreciate the upfront and honest answer here, but geeze Louise, i'm okay with my toys looking like toys.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

I am NOT a fan of the gray shade.

I'm not good at painting figures, and with these MOTUC's costing $22 to $25 I am afraid to paint them myself when I don't know what I am doing. But, even though I bought 4, I feel "stuck" with an imperfect Frosta. The switched forearms don't bother me at all, but the gray shade all over an "ice" figure doesn't look good.

I don't have a TOD Sorceress yet to compare, but I have also been of the opinion, judging pics of her online, that she seems to need shading on the white. Metallic silver shading would be awesome. Wish I could do that myself....
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

The grey is fine for Temple of Doom Sorceress, as she is supposed to be wearing feathers, which are rarely pure white.
    I don't understand why Frosta was made in a darker grey though.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post

THIS... I love getting actual answers. EVEN if I don't like the answer, I appreciate knowing what THEY were thinking. While I personally would have prefered white... I can understand and accept that answer for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    These are toys, so I don't mind "toy like". Bring back the white when it makes sense, like for a Frosta!
    There are a LOT of people who disagree though. Just look at the chaos surrounding the 'missing paint aps' on Stinkor's armor... going ALLLLLLLLLLLL the way back to '08 and '09 when they started backing off the 'dark wash' that highlighted the muscles on these guys. Making them look 'more like toys' had people grabbing for the torches and pitchforks.

Personally I think 'adult Collector' is an over rated term and I hate seeing quality suffer in it's name... but at least I can understand where they're coming from now. Trying to make the figures look 'more real' than not for that extra money we spend....

Nice to see something honest.

However...now I know they chose not to use white on Frosta.

Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

This is a great answer, but I personally think a white paint app typically looks really cool. So while they have their reasons for using gray, I would prefer they use white on certain figures. Or maybe if they used a lighter gray that was more white.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm so glad, MOTU has not many white colored characters, they can screw up...

What a dumb decision. Why is it okay to use white for Bubble Power She-Ra but not Frosta? And BP She-Ra didn't look unfinished at all, her colours are perfect.

Heroic Warrior
    Teela's tunic looks pretty white to me. But on the point of this being a straightforward explanation, fair play.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Ya know, sometimes I just look at the white coloured characters in my collection and say: "Gee whiz, I wish those were gray instead."

disclaimer: that's never happened.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
    Ya know, sometimes I just look at the white coloured characters in my collection and say: "Gee whiz, I wish those were gray instead."

disclaimer: that's never happened.
    I need my faceless, bumbling, floating Trollan wizards, green tigers, skull-faces warlords, and giant dragons to look as non-fantasy as humanly possible. They have to be real enough to walk in a Starbucks before morning rush-hour.

All the Frosta's I've seen that fellow Orgers have repainted white don't look toy-like; they look vibrant.

I think they use the gray because they think it will prevent yellowing, but without some sort of white paint shading/overspray it just doesn't look right on characters you know have white decor.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

This is your white folks! Pretty cool gray, huh?

Zing
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes