Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattel uses PMS Cool Gray 2C instead of White--"White looks unfinished"

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Mattel uses PMS Cool Gray 2C instead of White--"White looks unfinished"

While this isn't a Masters of the Universe classics question, it does answer a question that many fans have been asking recently...

Voting day question: Why is Uncle Sam Red, GRAY, and blue?

Those colors on Uncle Sam are not right. He should be red, WHITE, and blue. Even if it's a plastic thing, as a voting American with friends who were shot at defending our flag(as eye-rolling as you may think it is), it's disrespectful.

Do I think you meant disprespect? No, but why is the color white SPECIFICALLY so difficult to get right on your figures on a consistent basis? I haven't seen the same trouble when you paint their eyes and teeth white. It's on the same darn toy.

I don't wish to hear we are always improving. I know you do your best. You take that one step forward constantly. And it's only constantly because it's proceeded and followed by one step back.

Great question. I went right to Bill from design for info:

"This is a design choice- white can look “unfinished”, so for adult collector product we chose PMS Cool Gray 2C
    to “stand in” for white. Black oversprays sometimes get heavy in production and can gray it out (I recall this happening
    on the gloves of some of the GL 5-pack figures when we initially reviewed), but usually it reads well as white and the lower contrast
    makes the figure look more sophisticated and less “toy like”.

We DO use white on the eyes to give them greater contrast and act as a “focal point” for bringing life to the figure."

-Well there you go! Hope that helps.
    Discuss.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    These are toys, so I don't mind "toy like". Bring back the white when it makes sense, like for a Frosta!

Thanks for the post. It's always interesting to hear from someone in design regarding these types of decisions.
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

holy crap, that's an actual answer. Why have we never received something like this for the MOTUC figures? Was it really that hard to ask design and get an answer.

J

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    holy crap, that's an actual answer. Why have we never received something like this for the MOTUC figures? Was it really that hard to ask design and get an answer.

THIS... I love getting actual answers. EVEN if I don't like the answer, I appreciate knowing what THEY were thinking. While I personally would have prefered white... I can understand and accept that answer for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    These are toys, so I don't mind "toy like". Bring back the white when it makes sense, like for a Frosta!
    There are a LOT of people who disagree though. Just look at the chaos surrounding the 'missing paint aps' on Stinkor's armor... going ALLLLLLLLLLLL the way back to '08 and '09 when they started backing off the 'dark wash' that highlighted the muscles on these guys. Making them look 'more like toys' had people grabbing for the torches and pitchforks.

Personally I think 'adult Collector' is an over rated term and I hate seeing quality suffer in it's name... but at least I can understand where they're coming from now. Trying to make the figures look 'more real' than not for that extra money we spend....

Nice to see something honest.

However...now I know they chose not to use white on Frosta.

I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

This is a great answer, but I personally think a white paint app typically looks really cool. So while they have their reasons for using gray, I would prefer they use white on certain figures. Or maybe if they used a lighter gray that was more white.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm so glad, MOTU has not many white colored characters, they can screw up...

Eh, I'm totally fine with this. Gives them a touch or realism.

See, I would have been fine with Frosta having the same white as Temple of Darkness Sorceress, for example, but Frosta is GRAY... And not even light gray... Just Gray gray.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Well PMS Cool Gray 2C looks like the primer I use in customising. So to me - THAT looks unfinished.

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    Well PMS Cool Gray 2C looks like the primer I use in customising. So to me - THAT looks unfinished.
    No kidding. When something looks like it's a primer color instead of a finished one, it looks like an unfinished custom figure.

When it's supposed to be white, it should be white.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

LOL!!!! Seriously?!?!
    What a daft idea!!!
    White is white!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

It's good to get an explanation. But, 2C is... gray... It looks gray because it is gray. My guess is they are going in this direction because they can't afford the overspray for shadowing on the white so they wanted an overall color with a cool tone to it to hopefully fill in for that. But, gray is gray. Even lighter blues like 290 which will feel less dingy are going to be too dark. I wish they'd just leave it white and let natural shadows do the job.

Exactly. Or if they rreally really have to, use the lightest grey possible!
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

But isn't gray the new white?

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Don´t they have off-white?

Am I being obtuse here, or did we not ask over and over again for them to use white? And didn't this happen with She-ra? So now we know why they chose gray. The next question is why won't they listen to what the fans want? Also, why design thinks they should change a character's classic look?

While I appreciate a more honest answer, it isn't a full answer. I suspect Val is right and that part of the reason (if not the real reason) is it would have been more expensive to use white.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Don´t they have off-white?
    I doubt we'd want off-white used with a figure like Frosta. Off-white in the paint pigment sense tends to be a slight warm gray or slight yellowish white. An off white Pantone like 454 or 7499 are still warm values. That would clash with a blue/cool themed character like Frosta.

Perhaps Pantone 5595? But, I think anything will still give the perception of gray.

Heroic Warrior
    So I guess we'll never see any REAL white in MOTUC anymore ? Looks like I won't buy MOTUC figures that are supposed to be white... I wonder if Netossa will undergo the same mistreatment. She's already lacking in the accessories department, so if in addition she's gray, I won't buy her.

I really hate the way Mattel's design take these awful decisions...

What a dumb decision. Why is it okay to use white for Bubble Power She-Ra but not Frosta? And BP She-Ra didn't look unfinished at all, her colours are perfect.

Heroic Warrior
    Teela's tunic looks pretty white to me. But on the point of this being a straightforward explanation, fair play.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

If it was gray with a white over spray then that'd really help. But just plain ol' gray doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I'd prefer they stick with the gray they've been using. True white would just be too beight and cheap looking.

The guy who ask ed the question though that is actually offended by a red white and gray Uncle Sam...hilariously awesome.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post

J
    Totally agree.

As far as the actual answer, it's completely baffling to me. Why does Mattel continue to consciously make these choices that they KNOW 95%+ of their customer base absolutely hates? I mean, I can understand having some initial notion about what they think would be best for whatever cockamamie reason, but when it proves to be loathed by essentially everyone buying the product, why keep doing it? Spite?