Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 107

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread November 2012

  1. #26
    I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,372
    Wait....... I thought her name is "Double" Trouble (Good & Evil) ! And........ Why...... Make Her....... "Triple" Trouble (Good, Evil & Evil) ??

    Sorry... that would make her character (and name) weird !!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

    LOOSE & INCOMPLETE UNNAMED ONE/GORPO FOR SALE !

  2. #27
    USF Bull chuc98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    6,551
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Snarky answer : +1 !
    I thought it was funny. *shrugs*
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

  3. #28
    Heroic Warrior bamf1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Posts
    2,795
    Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Maybe you should re-watch some PoP episodes?

    http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/.../snakemen3.jpg

    Although, yes, I'm aware that the only real reason for shoehorning Rattlor and Tung Lashor into the Horde was so that they could get some advertising screentime in the She-Ra cartoon given that the He-Man cartoon was already over by the time Mattel came up with the whole Snakemen concept.
    Fair point. Yes, two of them appeared on the show, albeit in highly altered forms (especially Tongue Lashor). There was a total absence of Snake Man iconography, however, and no mention whatsoever of their leader, King Hiss. They weren't there as Snake Men. They were there as members of the Horde.

    Double Trouble herself never appeared on the show, so she has zero ties to Rattlor and Tongue Lashor.

    I feel that I should also say that Double Trouble was one of the few PoP gals I didn't have as a kid and I'd love to have her in MOTUC. Just not as a snake.

    It should also be said that, despite bearing Emiliano's watermark, he did NOT draw this piece. Someone heavily altered his work on a prior design. With or without his permission, who's to say.
    Last edited by bamf1980; November 10, 2012 at 03:41pm.

  4. #29
    Pillar of the Community hadley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    7,348
    Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Look for a thread on it on therpf.com. People who were at NYCC saw it and have commented on it, comparing it to the original props. I found it at the time of NYCC when I was looking for pics after the disaster that was the SDCC version.
    Yourself and the thread on therpf.com were what I was talking about. That's a forum of people who recreate movie props. Of COURSE they're going to take a sharper eye to it than your average nerd (such as myself) who sees that and goes "Holy cow, that thing would be totally awesome to have in my man cave!" Prop builders are going to notice that the velcro strap is a quarter centimeter too thick or the green stripes are Pantone PMS 367 instead of PMS 375. They're not the average joes, and like I said, I can find NO other evidence of it not being right, and that's even with google searches of "mattel hoverboard wrong", "mattel hoverboard problem", and "mattel hoverboard review".

    I literally cannot find a negative review of the thing, deliberately searching FOR bad reviews, that isn't yourself or that one thread to which you constantly refer. You are jumping the gun and spreading completely unnecessary FUD.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Yourself and the thread on therpf.com were what I was talking about. That's a forum of people who recreate movie props. Of COURSE they're going to take a sharper eye to it than your average nerd (such as myself) who sees that and goes "Holy cow, that thing would be totally awesome to have in my man cave!" Prop builders are going to notice that the velcro strap is a quarter centimeter too thick or the green stripes are Pantone PMS 367 instead of PMS 375. They're not the average joes, and like I said, I can find NO other evidence of it not being right, and that's even with google searches of "mattel hoverboard wrong", "mattel hoverboard problem", and "mattel hoverboard review".

    I literally cannot find a negative review of the thing, deliberately searching FOR bad reviews, that isn't yourself or that one thread to which you constantly refer. You are jumping the gun and spreading completely unnecessary FUD.
    You're completely contradicting yourself here. One one hand you say that I'm jumping the gun, but on the other hand, you admit to the fact that these guys are going to be the ideal judges of how movie accurate it's going to be (some of them have even made their own replica hoverboards). Also it looks like people on Sideshow Collectables aren't happy with it either (that's showing up on page 1 of a google search).

    Sure, some people are going to be happy with a toy Hoverboard and if they're happy with what they're getting, then great. But anyone thinking they were getting a prop replica, is going to be, or already has been, incredibly disappointed.

    Also I think the reason you'll find no bad reviews, is that the review samples don't appear to have gone out yet, resulting in reviews of it. It'll be interesting to see what happens when they do.

  6. #31
    Heroic Warrior labrat1881's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    165
    Enough with the hoverboard already! Go to matty's site and discuss it there please

  7. #32
    MOTUClassics.Com Daniel Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by labrat1881 View Post
    Enough with the hoverboard already! Go to matty's site and discuss it there please
    Agreed. I've pre-ordered a Hoverboard and I think it looks great from all the pics I've seen. The first issue I've had with it is having to constantly read about it over and over in multiple threads here at the Org in regards to something it has nothing to do with!
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lynch View Post
    in regards to something it has nothing to do with!
    You mean besides Mattel potentially taking the design team who are more than capable of successfully meeting a design brief and replacing it with one who are utterly terrible at doing so?

  9. #34
    MOTUClassics.Com Daniel Lynch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    You mean besides Mattel potentially taking the design team who are more than capable of successfully meeting a design brief and replacing it with one who are utterly terrible at doing so?
    Since I have no issue with the Hoverboard as done by the utterly terrible design team, you're barking up the wrong tree. I am a perfectly happy pre-order customer when it comes to the Hoverboard and I expect to be perfectly happy when it's fulfilled here in a few weeks.

    And man, I normally applaud lost causes and beating dead horses, but you have to be smart about it. I can't speak for others, but your persistence has served only to alienate me from your cause. The discussion has become partially about you and your posts instead of just your goal - you've lost control of your own point in that regard. And it hurts your cause in terms of the eyes you're trying to reach because they see you and your point, sure, but they also see the resistance your repetition is churning. I wish you the best, I do, but I don't think you're accomplishing what you've set out to.
    MOTUClassics.Com - Reviews, Release Schedule, Bios, & News.

  10. #35
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    220
    You may well be happy that you're getting a toy instead of the prop replica you actually ordered, but many people weren't and I'm not the only one voicing disapproval on here. Furthermore be glad you're happy with it, because in my case it took multiple international phone calls and in the end threatening legal action to get my order cancelled and I'm far from alone in that experience.
    Last edited by bowspearer; November 12, 2012 at 10:29am. Reason: Correcting post

  11. #36
    Heroic Podcaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    1,348
    I have absolutely no stake in this either way and know nothing about Mattel's Hoverboard. That said, did they ever advertise it as a 'movie prop replica' or as simply a toy version? If they never advertised it as the former, than no one should be expecting anything other than the latter.

    Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, I really don't know. Just wondering.

    I also don't understand the fear of MAttel 'pulling' the 4H from CG when they've been involved in everything design-wise up until now. Why suddenly pull them from the biggest MOTUC project yet for the first time ever?

    As for Grayskull, I was pretty happy with the answers regarding the interior and the flexibility regarding the poster. I also am glad they are not including a figure because I collect MOC and I already have trouble getting weirdly packed figures (Adam, Marlena) repackaged so I would not want to know there was a figure in the box I'd never see. I know, I know, my own fault for being a MOC collector.
    Angella - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - DOUBLE TROUBLE! - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - FLUTTERINA! - Flying Fists He-Man
    Gwildor - Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - Mermista - MultiBot - Ninjor - Peekablue - Perfuma - RIO BLAST!
    Rotar - Saurod - Spinnerella - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - Tung Lashor - Twistoid

  12. #37
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    220
    I'll deal with each bit of your post one at a time.

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    I have absolutely no stake in this either way and know nothing about Mattel's Hoverboard. That said, did they ever advertise it as a 'movie prop replica' or as simply a toy version? If they never advertised it as the former, than no one should be expecting anything other than the latter.

    Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, I really don't know. Just wondering.
    First up, Mattel did indeed advertise it as a prop replica - in fact it was advertised as being "movie accurate - down to the smallest detail".

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    I also don't understand the fear of MAttel 'pulling' the 4H from CG when they've been involved in everything design-wise up until now. Why suddenly pull them from the biggest MOTUC project yet for the first time ever?
    The thing is with unpopular decisions in companies is that employees talk amongst themselves about them - and eventually to people they know. That's what's happened here.

    As has been an open secret for some time about Mattel - there are 2 different schools of thought where Mattycollector is concerned. One sees the collector's market as a valuable market to tap into and grow. The other appear to view it as a waste of resources compared to they retail, kids' lines.

    What's come out is that not long after the preorder period, the original design team were pulled from the project to be put on "more profitable" (ie retail) lines and replaced with a scaled down, far less competent team. This original design team had been pedantically accurate with their measurements and when you compare the superior NYTF version to the SDCC and NYCC versions of the Hoverboard, it's not hard to see that (in a nutshell, they were the equivalent of the Four Horsemen).

    The new team does appear to have had one thing in excess though- ego. They disregarded the old measurements on those grounds from what I've read did their own thing. Anyway the board was proving to be such a disaster that even Mattel employees were offering to help- they were flatly told to "butt out!!!" The final result is that for a completely accurate prop replica, the Hoverboard makes a good "cool toy" as the old saying goes.

    The thing is that the decision was clearly not initiated by someone passionate for the project and who you could safely say was virtually only concerned about the money side of things. Considering that Castle Grayskull is an even bigger outlay for Mattel - what's to stop the same people who made that decision with thew Hoverboard from making the same decision with Castle Grayskull. Remember, to them, it's just a huge outlay for a drain on Mattel that could be better used on retail, which to them is where Mattel's actual profit entirely comes from.

  13. #38
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    220
    Post fixed.

  14. #39
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    418
    You can't have a 100% accurate prop replica when there were like 10 different props, all of which were different. And probably look terrible up close. I think some were even made of cardboard.

    Most prop companies take liberties to make things "screen accurate" rather than what the actual physical prop looks like up close.

    TG is proud of the Hoverboard because it probably is an awesome prop replica that looks accurate to most people. Maybe the hardest of hardcore can find nitpicks, but those people are never pleased unless they made the thing themselves, in which case they can gloss over the stuff that isn't right.

    And I'm sure there will be fans who feel the same way about CG. No matter how incredible it turns out, there will be people who say it turned out horrible and it was a scam, bait and switch, whatever.

  15. #40
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,317
    I'm putting up a bunch of new answers! Some are already up right now!

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

  16. #41
    Heroic Warrior Replikor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    KY, USA
    Posts
    2,249
    Cool, you added my Squeeeze idea submission in.. thanks MGM!

  17. #42
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,531
    I'm pretty confident the castle is going into production asap!! They didn't give a percentage update today for obvious reasons I think.

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior isic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    I'll deal with each bit of your post one at a time.



    First up, Mattel did indeed advertise it as a prop replica - in fact it was advertised as being "movie accurate - down to the smallest detail".



    The thing is with unpopular decisions in companies is that employees talk amongst themselves about them - and eventually to people they know. That's what's happened here.

    As has been an open secret for some time about Mattel - there are 2 different schools of thought where Mattycollector is concerned. One sees the collector's market as a valuable market to tap into and grow. The other appear to view it as a waste of resources compared to they retail, kids' lines.

    What's come out is that not long after the preorder period, the original design team were pulled from the project to be put on "more profitable" (ie retail) lines and replaced with a scaled down, far less competent team. This original design team had been pedantically accurate with their measurements and when you compare the superior NYTF version to the SDCC and NYCC versions of the Hoverboard, it's not hard to see that (in a nutshell, they were the equivalent of the Four Horsemen).

    The new team does appear to have had one thing in excess though- ego. They disregarded the old measurements on those grounds from what I've read did their own thing. Anyway the board was proving to be such a disaster that even Mattel employees were offering to help- they were flatly told to "butt out!!!" The final result is that for a completely accurate prop replica, the Hoverboard makes a good "cool toy" as the old saying goes.

    The thing is that the decision was clearly not initiated by someone passionate for the project and who you could safely say was virtually only concerned about the money side of things. Considering that Castle Grayskull is an even bigger outlay for Mattel - what's to stop the same people who made that decision with thew Hoverboard from making the same decision with Castle Grayskull. Remember, to them, it's just a huge outlay for a drain on Mattel that could be better used on retail, which to them is where Mattel's actual profit entirely comes from.
    I want to chime in hear, because I am an opinionated prick like that!

    First I didn't order the hoverboard and would not have, even if it was a "100% accurate movie prop". It just does not appeal to me or even seem remotely important in the world of collecting. Just my opinion, but a pink skateboard with no wheels seems pretty lame to me! Great movie though!!

    Second, if any one thinks that there is even a remote possibility that the 4H will NOT be sculpting Castle Grayskull, please get your head checked! I am positive that the level of passion that the 4H have for MOTU is off the charts when compared to BTTF! I'm sure getting pulled from sculpting a pink skateboard with no wheels to focus on "cooler" things is no big deal to the 4H. I am also sure that if Mattel tried to pull the 4H off of CG, the 4H (along with fans) would riot with a fury never seen on this planet before!!! I don't care how "small potatoes" MOTUC is in the eyes of Mattel, the 4H WILL BE sculpting the Classics version of Castle Grayskull!

  19. #44
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,317
    Done! All of the latest questions are up.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

  20. #45

  21. #46
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,317
    I've frontpaged that message (gotta wait for mods to approve the story) and added three new answers to the front of this thread!

    Beasts count as two character slots for the box art.

    The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

    Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

  22. #47
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    464
    I would love two different boxes, one with heman and company and the other with KG and that epic battle scene . Even a griffin army in the distance would be cool.

    Any way I hope we hit the mark,though I wish this TG message came earlier, 11pm here in the east.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  23. #48
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by isic View Post
    I want to chime in hear, because I am an opinionated prick like that!

    First I didn't order the hoverboard and would not have, even if it was a "100% accurate movie prop". It just does not appeal to me or even seem remotely important in the world of collecting. Just my opinion, but a pink skateboard with no wheels seems pretty lame to me! Great movie though!!
    You mean like [prop replica] lightsaber hilts that don't do anything but sit there and look pretty? I agree that prop replicas and statues aren't going to appeal to everyone though - precisely because some people want something more than just something that's prretty to look at.


    Quote Originally Posted by isic View Post
    Second, if any one thinks that there is even a remote possibility that the 4H will NOT be sculpting Castle Grayskull, please get your head checked! I am positive that the level of passion that the 4H have for MOTU is off the charts when compared to BTTF! I'm sure getting pulled from sculpting a pink skateboard with no wheels to focus on "cooler" things is no big deal to the 4H. I am also sure that if Mattel tried to pull the 4H off of CG, the 4H (along with fans) would riot with a fury never seen on this planet before!!! I don't care how "small potatoes" MOTUC is in the eyes of Mattel, the 4H WILL BE sculpting the Classics version of Castle Grayskull!
    The problem has never been the 4H. Remember that if the 4H had their way, based on that proto they sculpted, we'd have had the Battle Ram a few years back. The problem is people high up in Mattel who simply don't share the passion that we, the 4H and even other Mattel employees for that matter, do for the line. These individuals only see profit margins and so to them, so in their mind it's not about the amazing finished product; it's about how much money they're wasting on a zero-growth market (the collector's market) that could be spent on actually profitable markets (retail child-based markets).

    These types of corporate individuals don't see where the market is heading and are the dinosaurs stuck in the old world toy industry paradigm that between them and Walmart's marketing dept, have successfully destroyed innovation in the toy industry. Furthermore they seem to be in most toy companies out there these days (which is incidentally why I really hope that despite the claims of it being mere rumours, I really hope Disney do buy out Hasbro and shake things up).

  24. #49
    Heroic Warrior isic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    You mean like [prop replica] lightsaber hilts that don't do anything but sit there and look pretty? I agree that prop replicas and statues aren't going to appeal to everyone though - precisely because some people want something more than just something that's prretty to look at.




    The problem has never been the 4H. Remember that if the 4H had their way, based on that proto they sculpted, we'd have had the Battle Ram a few years back. The problem is people high up in Mattel who simply don't share the passion that we, the 4H and even other Mattel employees for that matter, do for the line. These individuals only see profit margins and so to them, so in their mind it's not about the amazing finished product; it's about how much money they're wasting on a zero-growth market (the collector's market) that could be spent on actually profitable markets (retail child-based markets).

    These types of corporate individuals don't see where the market is heading and are the dinosaurs stuck in the old world toy industry paradigm that between them and Walmart's marketing dept, have successfully destroyed innovation in the toy industry. Furthermore they seem to be in most toy companies out there these days (which is incidentally why I really hope that despite the claims of it being mere rumours, I really hope Disney do buy out Hasbro and shake things up).
    No, I don't mean like a lightsaber replica. For one I don't own a lightsaber replica, but I would own one long before I would own a hoverboard replica because a lightsaber is not lame. Maybe you missed my point on my first quote. My point had nothing to do with it being a replica or not, my point was that a pink skateboard with no wheels is lame! I don't care if Micheal J. Fox signed it, I still would not be interested in it. The fact that it is or isn't a replica prop has no bearing on my taste for that ugly piece of plastic!

    And I also stand by my second quote. There is NO WAY the 4H would tolerate being pulled off of CG!!! It just isn't gonna happen! Castle Grayskull (along with MOTU) is a big deal to the 4H. If that did happen, I am sure that it would cause a rift between the 4H and Mattel, and if I know that, you can bet Mattel does too. Considering that the 4H created and pitched the idea of MOTUC, it would be extreme blasphemy to not let them sculpt Castle Grayskull!! NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

    I also want to add another point I missed last time. As much as people rag on Toyguru, I think he would even step up if Mattel were to pull a bonehead move like that. People can question his business decisions, but no one can question his passion for MOTU, and I am sure he will do everything in his power to make sure the 4H sculpt CG!

    Look, I don't want to hurt your feelings here, but it sounds like to me that you are jaded because your pink skateboard with no wheels was missing a few details that make it less than "100% accurate", and because of that, you and a small handful of people just can't seem to live with it! Now you are digging deep to try and convince people who are ordering CG that the same thing will happen to CG!

    There is no way that Mattel will pull the 4H off of CG! You know it, I know it, the 4H know it and yes, Mattel knows it! Let's put this ridiculous notion to rest now and let the 4H do what they do best and make the best Castle Grayskull the world will ever see!!

  25. #50
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    You can't have a 100% accurate prop replica when there were like 10 different props, all of which were different. And probably look terrible up close. I think some were even made of cardboard.

    Most prop companies take liberties to make things "screen accurate" rather than what the actual physical prop looks like up close.

    TG is proud of the Hoverboard because it probably is an awesome prop replica that looks accurate to most people. Maybe the hardest of hardcore can find nitpicks, but those people are never pleased unless they made the thing themselves, in which case they can gloss over the stuff that isn't right.

    And I'm sure there will be fans who feel the same way about CG. No matter how incredible it turns out, there will be people who say it turned out horrible and it was a scam, bait and switch, whatever.
    Thing is, yes you can have an accurate prop, and you stated exactly why, people want the "Screen Accurate" prop, not the actual props no one has ever seen up close....therefore, no matter how many they used in the movie, "on screen" they all look the same....

    No matter how many General Lee's were used in production of The Dukes of Hazzard, "on screen" they all looked virtually identical....and even if there are discrepancies in appearance from scene to scene, they are minor and mostly in cut scenes not visible for long. Therefore making a perfect replica of the "on screen" General Lee, is actually pretty easy, and a company like Mattel should be able to mimic exactly a friggin toy hover board to look like the "on screen" model of supposedly their own future toy, very easily.

    You can very easily see differences in the boards, especially if you are huge BTTF fans, like me, I have watched the movies countless times since I was 10 when the first one came out, I also own all 3 movies, and still view them regularly....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •