Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The official "Pixel Dan has Mosquitor" Thread! - Now with video review!

I'm really stoked this figure came out so well. I was always so jealous of my brother because he got Mosquitor and I got someone dumb like Randor or something. He was my bro's favorite figure and its going to be so cool to have an updated version to represent him. I'm getting all sentimental for something that's not even out yet!

Considering it was Mosquitor, I was kind of surprised Dan wasn't wearing a tux for the review.

This figure is pure win. Just outstanding!

My only real gripe is with the shape of the bat logo on his chest. I wish it was more like the vintage figure's or even the staction. It's missing the "bat ears" that the staction figure had. I think that little bit added a lot to the staction.

Even though I'm not a big fan of the blood tanks, It would have been cool if Mattel had included them so that you could swap them out with the insect legs using the same plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Even though I'm not a big fan of the blood tanks, It would have been cool if Mattel had included them so that you could swap them out with the insect legs using the same plugs.
    Sounds like a good idea for a weapons pack!
    Congratulations! MOTUC 2015!

Yeah, I'd love to get the tanks down the line.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Videos like this are the reason why I started your fanclub, on Facebook.
    Does Galactus fart?

Leader of the Evil Horde Hordak's Avatar
    Fantastic review! Dan this is by far my favorite review that you have done. Seeing how happy you are to finally get this classics version warms my heart. Thanks for giving us solid reviews time after time!

The figure looks awesome and I definitely can't wait to beef up my Horde ranks!
    "I summon forth the portal to the terrible dimension of Despondos!"

So, no Horde armband? Or any actual official Horde allegiance on him or the vintage figure?

I reckon he never was a member. In my canon he will be just some annoying little kid who hangs around with the cool kids pretending he's one of them, but he never will be.

Yeah, I like that.

Or I could use Rattlor's armband.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Another great review - Mosquitor looks like another win figure this year. I like the horde logo and don't mind there not being any liquid in the chest, I liked the red plastic piece we're getting instead with his insides showing, I think that looks cool.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Wow great review Dan. The figure looks great, I'm so glad it came with the little extra arms which I prefer pointing down and coming through under his arms. I'm not quite sure about the Horde logo yet, looking forward to seeing that better in hand.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

It's nice to know the backpieces are removable, maybe in a future weapons pack, we'll get to see the blood tanks

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I can't recall ever being so happy someone else's favorite has been made; Dan has been just about bursting since the first little hint of the figure, and you can't help but get caught up in his outright joy over this Hordesman.

As for the figure itself, I was a little worried that the chest piece was too bulky from the initial pics we saw, but he looks fine. The head is very stylized, but no more so than, say, Snout Spout. I am definitely looking forward to this one more than I thought I would be (Dan's enthusiam is very contagious).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    So, no Horde armband? Or any actual official Horde allegiance on him or the vintage figure?

I reckon he never was a member. In my canon he will be just some annoying little kid who hangs around with the cool kids pretending he's one of them, but he never will be.

Yeah, I like that.

Or I could use Rattlor's armband.
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I can't recall ever being so happy someone else's favorite has been made; Dan has been just about bursting since the first little hint of the figure, and you can't help but get caught up in his outright joy over this Hordesman.

As for the figure itself, I was a little worried that the chest piece was too bulky from the initial pics we saw, but he looks fine. The head is very stylized, but no more so than, say, Snout Spout. I am definitely looking forward to this one more than I thought I would be (Dan's enthusiam is very contagious).
    My comments here are sort of "springboarding" off of these two quotes above...

I'll be honest and say that Mosquitor has never been a 'favorite' of mine. I never had the figure as a kid, which probably doesn't help anything (I do have the staction, though), but similar to what retcon said, it also has always kind of bugged me how he doesn't have a 'Real' Horde Logo on him. I know his chest is supposed to be roughly in the shape of one, but it's still not the same. He should have been given an arm band or (better yet) a belt with the actual Horde Logo on it.

To me he is an example of a 'phenomenon' that happened with a few toy lines when I was growing up. As a line would progress, often times new ideas for figures and characters would occur, and the action features, the way they are made, etc would 'evolve' and advance. And while that is something of a good thing, at times some lines would almost go too far and make characters that just don't quite feel like they belong... almost as if they are part of a scrapped alternate direction that the line could have gone in (i.e. Horde members who all have logos like Mosquitor's). Granted, there were worse offenders than him (multi-bot comes to mind.. he just doesn't feel like a Horde member AT ALL to me). But my point is that more could have and (IMO) should have been done to make him feel more like he fits in. I mean, if you take him and put him next to some of the other early 'key' Horde members from the original line (like Hordak, Leech, Mantenna, and/or Grizzlor), and play that Sesame Street game where they show you 4 things, 3 of which are similar and one stands out as being more different than the rest, Mosquitor would be that odd-ball on, IMO. Some simple adjustments in his design (including, but not limited to, giving him a normal Horde logo somewhere) would have helped. He still could have kept the chest as-is... that didn't need to be sacrificed. But I just think the original figure could have been better and fit in more with the rest of the Horde.

Having said that, I have to agree with scott metzger's sentiments. I know Dan absolutely loves this character, and I'm very happy for him that the figure is here.

In all honesty, despite my feelings that I described above, I have "warmed up" to Mosquitor over time and like him more now than I used to, and that is thanks in large part to Dan's enthusiasm over him. Plus I'm actually rather happy with the way the figure turned out for the most part. I actually like the 200X design a lot, and while this new figure more so resembles the original toy, they did give him enough insect elements to make him kind of 200X-ish. And overall I just think it's a great translation of the character. So while he's still not my favorite, I am more excited about him than I otherwise would have been.
    I do with Dan that the blood tanks from the 200X version should have been included... those were awesome and would have put him over the top.

I LOVE the picture of him with Draego-Man's wings! It's actually an awesome look for him IMO (I think in part because it kind of reminds me of the blood tanks since they had little wing parts coming off of them).

Another thing that I like (though it would have to come at the sacrifice of the wings) is that since his armor is removable, it would be easy to put Hordak's armor on him and give him a normal Horde logo. In fact, Dan, if you read this and have the time to do so, could you put Hordak's armor on him and post a picture of it?

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Finally caught the video review last night, thanks Dan! I'm still very much not sold on the idea that Mosquitor get shorted on any sort of viable liquid chest feature and yet they managed to make it work for Slush Head, but based on the figure we ARE getting... I guess you'd call me happy. Still feels like something is missing and he's not a stellar win like say Clamp Champ or Octavia, but he's decent. And perhaps that's it in a nutshell. After a solid set of reveals lately that have really blown my socks off, it seems like poor Mosquitor got shorted because he's not a 2013 figure. Sucks (pardon the mosquito pun), but it is what it is.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    It's nice to know the backpieces are removable, maybe in a future weapons pack, we'll get to see the blood tanks
    One has to wonder if that was one of the reasons the arms are removable in the way they are; they could have been designed a different way that wouldn't leave the possibilty of attaching a couple of tanks down the line.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    It never bothered me that he didn't have a "proper" Horde Logo. But here's a cool thought: what about that Horde armband that came with Rattlor? If you aren't using it for him, it could be popped on to Mosquitor! I may have to do that...

I'll try the Hordak armor on him as well, just to see what it looks like.

I also wonder if the blood tanks ever got sculpted. Scott said at SDCC that the original plan was to give him botht he blood tanks and the insect legs, but they couldn't find a good way to make them both fit, so they nixed the tanks in favor fo the legs. As I said in the video, I would have preferred the tanks stuck instead. But I do wonder if it's at all possible to give us the tanks later on.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Razor-Edged Weapon Sword-of-Grayskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Well, let's not forget the time Mike got Slush Head. Congrats, Dan!

Looking at the close-ups in the video, Mosquitor's triceps look really high up against the the striations on the shoulders, whereas the biceps are rather low. That rubbing mentioned in the video seems suspicious, as well. I know the shoulders are supposed to be the Draego Man versions, as Dan said earlier in the thread, but I think I'm going to be paranoid until my figure arrives...

(And thank you, Dan, for the good laugh I got from the last minute of the video. )
    "I look upon my powers as a gift, not mine alone but for anyone who needs them." (Superman: Peace on Earth)

GO FORWARD. Please support the Christopher Reeve Foundation by purchasing a set of Superman tags at www.ChristopherReeve.org

If nine hundred He-Man.Org members get eaten by Thundercats fans, but neither of them has a toyline, does it still count as a fan movement?

I'm pretty darn excited myself to get this figure. . My only gripe would be the shape of the horde logo. He is definitely my favorite horde member up to this point,the other horde members don't pop on my shelf like I think Mosquitor will.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Excellent looking figure. I may be in the minority here, but I kind of prefer the insect legs on his back........ they seem to fit this version's overall scheme better.

Dan, I sense a bit of "renewed love" for all things MOTU from you in this video. Your excitement is infectious!!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    It never bothered me that he didn't have a "proper" Horde Logo. But here's a cool thought: what about that Horde armband that came with Rattlor? If you aren't using it for him, it could be popped on to Mosquitor! I may have to do that...

I'll try the Hordak armor on him as well, just to see what it looks like.

I also wonder if the blood tanks ever got sculpted. Scott said at SDCC that the original plan was to give him botht he blood tanks and the insect legs, but they couldn't find a good way to make them both fit, so they nixed the tanks in favor fo the legs. As I said in the video, I would have preferred the tanks stuck instead. But I do wonder if it's at all possible to give us the tanks later on.
    Never know Dan, we may see that Blood Tanks, Netossa's MAsk, Strobo's missing gun an a few others in the next year weapons/items pak.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Great video Dan. And congrats on finally getting the figure that you've been tirelessly campaigning for all of this time. I got my Blonde Bikini Teela, Mike Bock got Slushhead, Dragonblaster got Dragon Blaster Skeletor, Tallstar got the Star Sisters, Count Marzo got Count Marzo, Baena got the Green Goddess and now you have Mosquitor!

Your sis is quite the dancer!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Overall the figure is good.
    But i don´t like the 200x legs at all. Would´ve prefered a new clear torso, fillable with liquid. Should´ve cost them the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    Never know Dan, we may see that Blood Tanks, Netossa's MAsk, Strobo's missing gun an a few others in the next year weapons/items pak.
    through Rattlors are armor and you have another killer weapons pack
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post

Wow! I never would have thought it but these wings look great and give him even more of a mosquito feel! I'm going to have to get an extra pair and paint them silver.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    make characters that just don't quite feel like they belong... almost as if they are part of a scrapped alternate direction that the line could have gone in (i.e. Horde members who all have logos like Mosquitor's). Granted, there were worse offenders than him (multi-bot comes to mind.. he just doesn't feel like a Horde member AT ALL to me). But my point is that more could have and (IMO) should have been done to make him feel more like he fits in. I mean, if you take him and put him next to some of the other early 'key' Horde members from the original line (like Hordak, Leech, Mantenna, and/or Grizzlor), and play that Sesame Street game where they show you 4 things, 3 of which are similar and one stands out as being more different than the rest, Mosquitor would be that odd-ball on, IMO.
    It's funny in a way, as to me, Mosquitor is actually the *most* Horde-like of all the later Horde member releases. His "gruesome" powers/features put him right in line with the brain-sucking Leech, bug-eyed Mantenna and bizarre shapeshifting Modulok, and heck, he's one of the very few beyond Hordak himself who actually wears the Horde colors (black and red) in abundance.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    It's funny in a way, as to me, Mosquitor is actually the *most* Horde-like of all the later Horde member releases. His "gruesome" powers/features put him right in line with the brain-sucking Leech, bug-eyed Mantenna and bizarre shapeshifting Modulok, and heck, he's one of the very few beyond Hordak himself who actually wears the Horde colors (black and red) in abundance.
    I agree, he is very much in the original vein for the Horde, namely a variation on a classic monster theme. He's The Fly to Hordak's Nosferatu.

Looking back at the video again, I was particularly struck by something that kind of git lost amidst Dan's exuberance (my fault, not his). I really like the way that the Fab Four made it clear in the sculpt that the head is a helmet over what appears to be a black insectoid head. It makes the highly and uniquely stylized nature of the head much easier to understand. Another great Horsemen touch that adds something to a classic character.