Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POP In MOTUC Concepts.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar

POP In MOTUC Concepts.

Howdy here are some awesome Designs a great friend of mine has executed for some of the amazing POP Characters yet to come.

They are based on the Model set forth by Emiliano and he gave permission for its use.

Spinnerella

Entrapta

Double Trouble

Sweet Bee

Flutterina

Mermista

Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

I will buy triples of these if the actual MOTUC figures turn out remotely anything like these mock-ups! Amazing.

My money is on all but Spinerella happening in MOTUC [IF the line lasts till 2016].... see here for info why I say this...

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...edule-Patterns

i believe ALL of these characters will be made and released - either via annual sub, or as convention releases or pre-orders. Albeit, these designs do strengthen their mainstream appeal. Utilizing the Filmation or Style Guide designs as a base whilst adding some vintage toy detailing simply elevates these designs to a more aesthetically pleasing level.
    Celebrate 30 Years of POP
    http://www.facebook.com/messages/103...P/288325415324
    http://mykanspeaksall.blogspot.com/2...incess-of.html

Follow Mykan Speaks All on Twitter or Facebook.

Snappy Threader
    I'm a huge fan of Mermista for some reason idk and that is awesome. Loving Sweet Bee with the helmet too. Double Trouble...amazing...

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    really like all of them: very nice work.

not so keen on double trouble being a kinda snake infiltrator, but i like the idea of a third face for her.

I can't believe I am just now seeing these!

They are great!

My only thing is with Mermista, of course. The color change thing...I think would be great without the scales on her legs. Otherwise she'll look like she has some kind of weird skin thing.

I would love to see ball joints for Entraptra's hair. Probably too much to ask but would really make her dynamic!
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Good to see that the concept "studies" are being continued.
    Alles Orko oder was? - ...'cause Trollans are the best! - She-Raver by conviction...

Hordak! Put me in MOTUC! Barbecue17's Avatar
    Wow! These are truly brilliant. These really take the best of the Filmationand vintage toy looks while adding in some new, cool features to truly help these figures POP!
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

This is one of those amazing threads started by a talented orger that Toyguru and his crack team need to see, and yet I fear that it will go completely unseen and unappreciated by the people handling this toy line.

The little updates are very clever, and the vintage accuracy is great. I'm sure the POP fans would love all of these versions, however I'm sure the very vocal She-Haters would fuss if we saw too many ladies added to the roster over the next 2 years.

Still it is truly fantastic work, I would buy actually want to buy all of these ladies... except Spinderella... she's just too damn girly.

PS: Your next addition should be Scorpia, and you should send the printed file to Toyguru in the mail, with a giant hook, so he can hang it up in his office and stare at it until I get the Scorpia I want.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 25, 2013 at 04:45am.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Wow! I'm blown way. I'm totally sold.
    Wish List: Eldor, Skeleton Warriors, King Argho, Horde Wraiths, Kobolds, Prahvus, Lord Masque, Rock Monster, Gen. Tartaran, Evil Seed, Carnivorous Plant, Lizard-Man, Hawke, Crimson Fury, Melaktha, Spinwit, Ra-Jarr, Kelclar, King Miro, Dare, Missile-Toe, Sh'gora, Vizar, Harpy, ABC Giants, Lodar, Dragoon, Darius, Negator, Masks of Power Demons, Slob-Boar, Bubblor, Three-Beast, Nocturna

WOW!

First of all, itīs great that you even asked Emiliano for his permission. Very classy of you!

Spinnerella:

I love how you added her vintage hairpiece/crown the bo seems like great idea as are the throwing blades, iīm not really sold on the whip, i would be afraid she would get caught while spinning

Entrapta:

The idea with her ponytail braids on ball joints is great but i still would prefer they would be bendy somehow but balljoints so they can move in more directions is a must!

Double Trouble:

The triple trouble is genius! I would like to see her with a snake face! With the plastic hair i donīt think her long ponytail can used as you did...unfortunately...looks great like that!

Sweet Bee:

She looks perfect. I really like your colors, the wings are looking great. The stinger gun isnīt my taste but itīs very creative! A helmeted head would be a nice addition!

Flutterina:

FILMATION made her hair look weird, your version is a big improvement, iīm still not totally sold, hair vintage toy had that amazing amount of hair(especially the whole second wave came with amazing rooted hair!) i guess no plastic can do her hair justice the way i would like to have it.
    The shield and the googles are an awesome idea!

Mermista:

She is my favorite from all your recreations- Again the hair looks perfect but in plastic wont be doable....and thatīs a shame....!

Your ideas for her transformation and the color change is great! Really impressive.

My only complaint would be the trident, as great as it looks i donīt think she needs it!

I hope a lot of people will see your ideas and i also hope some take notes

Thank you for that and i hope we will see some more!!!!!!
    *Peekablue *Mermista *Toy version Catra(red Prototype) *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Lizard-Man *Zilora *Granita *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    These are sensational - this is how the Pop girls should be done! I love the extra details and most Importantly the individual weapons - not just the same old shield

I really hope the 4HM have seen these designs and get some ideas from them.

Mermista is my favourite!
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

I'm glad they got Emiliano's permission, but it would have been nice if the artist actually made these concepts himself, from scratch, rather than use the concepts already created by another artist as his template. It's a nice effort, but when I see the obvious work of Emiliano under the added material, it ruins it for me. The person is obviously creative and has some talent. Let it shine through in their own work and not piggy back on someone else's. That's just a thought and my way of encouraging them to go for broke and make a full design.

As for the concepts, I am not a fan of the invented accessories; like the cat-o-nine-tails and ninja stars for Spinnerella, the nunchukas and heat seeking goggles for Flutterina, or the third snake face for Double Trouble (which in my opinion completely defeats the concept of the character being a DOUBLE agent. Her name is Double Trouble, not Triple Trouble). In my opinion, they don't feel right and seem like an attempt to make these characters something they are not. Nunchukas for Flutterina??? I mean, c'mon...Plus she can control swarms of butterflies, so why does she need a butterfly net? That's too small to do anything against a villain, and we already have a net themed character (Netossa).

I do like the addition of a second head for Sweet Bee, having her Filmation Helmet. That would be cool. I also like the idea of a bo staff for Spinnerella, since there are a lot of martial arts maneuvers involving the spinning/rotation of the staff.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    I'm glad they got Emiliano's permission, but it would have been nice if the artist actually made these concepts himself, from scratch, rather than use the concepts already created by another artist as his template. It's a nice effort, but when I see the obvious work of Emiliano under the added material, it ruins it for me. The person is obviously creative and has some talent. Let it shine through in their own work and not piggy back on someone else's. That's just a thought and my way of encouraging them to go for broke and make a full design.

As for the concepts, I am not a fan of the invented accessories; like the cat-o-nine-tails and ninja stars for Spinnerella, the nunchukas and heat seeking goggles for Flutterina, or the third snake face for Double Trouble (which in my opinion completely defeats the concept of the character being a DOUBLE agent. Her name is Double Trouble, not Triple Trouble). In my opinion, they don't feel right and seem like an attempt to make these characters something they are not. Nunchukas for Flutterina??? I mean, c'mon...Plus she can control swarms of butterflies, so why does she need a butterfly net? That's too small to do anything against a villain, and we already have a net themed character (Netossa).

I do like the addition of a second head for Sweet Bee, having her Filmation Helmet. That would be cool. I also like the idea of a bo staff for Spinnerella, since there are a lot of martial arts maneuvers involving the spinning/rotation of the staff.
    I agree with all of this with the exception of the bo staff for Spinnerella. Perhaps if she simply spun in circles a weapon would make sense, but her spinning ability generates winds powerful enough to level Whispering Woods, making a bladed skirt, throwing stars, a staff, and a whip completely superfluous.

It is as if the person who conceived of some of these ideas does not understand the characters.

How is Flutterina supposed to use nunchakus with giant butterfly wings? And why would a butterfly woman have a butterfly net—to use on herself?

It does not make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    I'm glad they got Emiliano's permission, but it would have been nice if the artist actually made these concepts himself, from scratch, rather than use the concepts already created by another artist as his template. It's a nice effort, but when I see the obvious work of Emiliano under the added material, it ruins it for me.
    Emiliano gave his blessing in person, and saw all of the images prior to anyone else. He said that he is thrilled that someone took the time to do what he himself simply does not have time to do.

There are a few more to post later today!
    Dear Mattel, Please remember you are one of the biggest toy companies on the planet, So hows about making toys people want and NOT Excuses.

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Granita and Jewelstar are okay, but I do not like the concept for Tallstar. She is a magical character, not a cyborg like Mekaneck. I also do not like the concept for Impost-Ra. She-Ra already has a doppelgänger, Melog.

Yeah, I personally LOVE Jewelstar because this is exactly what I wanted her to be, Granita I couldnt care less about but thats cos I hate the Rockmen. But as with all artistic submissions to the .org these are works of individual creativity.

My friend approached each character with the aim of showing the potential the characters have within the amazing 'Classics' Style which has to appeal to a wider, mostly male market, and whilst Tallstar was 'magical' in the one episode of Filmation she appeared in, her actual abilities were never fleshed out in the vintage pop line surrounding the toy on which the design is based.

Several characters have been altered to fit in the classics line, eg: scare glow 'was' the ghost of Skeletor, now he's his own character, the design is a way of making a character that was unappealing to the vintage Motu only fans actually get them interested whilst still keeping true to the vintage figures look. (heck Im so damn happy that she finally has the translucent Hands!! lol)

Yes, there was Melog but again this is the classics line and in this canon Skeletor creates faker to convince the eternian people that he man is in fact a gar, it's only natural the people would then say 'well what about she ra? She's his twin sister..... so is she a gar too?'

So that's the concept behind impost-Ra's creation, it's Skeletor covering his tracks, and a chance to see how a Robo She Ra could look. and a continuation of the idea.

like with any character or figure you'll never please everyone, but its great to see someone envisioning how these characters could look as action figures, it's a way to give a different vision to the collectors who have little or no exposure to the vintage girls line versions of the characters, a melding of Vintage Toy AND Cartoon.

these designs have had a lot of positive reactions on Facebook, opening characters like Double Trouble, Granita and Entrapta up to people who wouldn't have considered them before.

Thats why I shared them here.

[/CENTER]

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    nice improvement on the Tallstar, Jewlstar & Granita
    Wish List: Eldor, Skeleton Warriors, King Argho, Horde Wraiths, Kobolds, Prahvus, Lord Masque, Rock Monster, Gen. Tartaran, Evil Seed, Carnivorous Plant, Lizard-Man, Hawke, Crimson Fury, Melaktha, Spinwit, Ra-Jarr, Kelclar, King Miro, Dare, Missile-Toe, Sh'gora, Vizar, Harpy, ABC Giants, Lodar, Dragoon, Darius, Negator, Masks of Power Demons, Slob-Boar, Bubblor, Three-Beast, Nocturna

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I don't think the intention was for Scareglow to be Skeletor's ghost...it just was written badly. Evil Ghost of Skeletor with "of" meaning "working for". The fact that he was his own character in the mini comic led me to believe as a kid that he was his own guy.

On topic, I like these concepts Well not really Tallstar, bit too "cyborg/futuristic" for me.

The Spinnerella one makes me want her even more though!
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I agree with all of this with the exception of the bo staff for Spinnerella. Perhaps if she simply spun in circles a weapon would make sense, but her spinning ability generates winds powerful enough to level Whispering Woods, making a bladed skirt, throwing stars, a staff, and a whip completely superfluous.

It is as if the person who conceived of some of these ideas does not understand the characters.

How is Flutterina supposed to use nunchakus with giant butterfly wings? And why would a butterfly woman have a butterfly net—to use on herself?

It does not make any sense.
    I've seen some of your more pedantic posts, so I cannot resist. You're trying to apply 'sense' and 'logic' to fictitious MOTU characters? Why couldn't Flutterina use these weapons? Its just a visual theme. I see no sensible reason why any of these changes should not be considered or appreciated.

Oh wait, you were the one that argued in one of my past threads, that He-Man has amazing telepathic powers, and can spin fast enough to drill through Eternia's crust (because it was established in a comic or cartoon, I cannot remember your source, though both are examples of abilities many fans are fine to forget or dismiss) but yet he gets stabbed through the thigh by Tri-Klop's sword (in an official comic) and bleeds. That official canon material is soooooo logical. Pretty sure if I was capable of drilling through miles of dirt with my bare hands, I could eat swords like they were spaghetti noodles.

Its not a matter of reason or logic. That is not even applicable here. Its just an artists visual expression, and you do not agree with it. Doesn't make it 'illogical' or 'wrong'. I think the person who creates these fantastic design concepts, understands the characters just fine. Spinderella can hurl these ninja stars with her gale force winds. Maybe when she engages in melee combat, or doesn't wish to use excessive force on a human opponent, she can disable them with a strike from her bo staff, instead of decapitating them with a spinning bladed weapon. As for the 'bladed' dress? Not only does it look sharp, its also a really deadly weapon and extremely close range. Would allow her to take down an opponent without causing massive mayhem by tossing everything around (including her allies, debris or a deathly injured rebels) to the wind. Seems like the thoughtful artist has a better grasp on the character and the intricacies of her abilities than you do.

I love these designs, so bring them on! Can't wait to see the accessories he gives Scorpia. Maybe a venom spitting gun! Tallstar looks fantastic! Very fitting for the character. Impost-Ra looks wickedly cool!
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 31, 2013 at 02:23am.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Wow! I really like this Granita drawing!! She would make such a cool looking figure in MOTUC!!
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Imp / Vultak / Hunga
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

I agree with Sky. I think the artist has a fine grasp on the characters, but like a lot of artists / designers do as decided to put their own unique touches / spin on the characters. This does not in any way make it wrong or illogical, it simply makes it different.

Just as Filmation was different to Mini Comics and MYP / 200x was different to Filmation.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    I agree with Sky. I think the artist has a fine grasp on the characters, but like a lot of artists / designers do as decided to put their own unique touches / spin on the characters. This does not in any way make it wrong or illogical, it simply makes it different.

Just as Filmation was different to Mini Comics and MYP / 200x was different to Filmation.
    Exactly! art is subjective!

Heres some more-

Last edited by Staff Of Ka; January 31, 2013 at 04:54pm.

[/CENTER]