Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POP In MOTUC Concepts.

Awesome designs, as always!

Quote Originally Posted by jdscissorhands View Post
    Wow! I really like this Granita drawing!! She would make such a cool looking figure in MOTUC!!
    My only critic is that she looks like her eyes are closed.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    I've seen some of your more pedantic posts, so I cannot resist. You're trying to apply 'sense' and 'logic' to fictitious MOTU characters? . . . Its not a matter of reason or logic. That is not even applicable here. Its just an artists visual expression, and you do not agree with it. Doesn't make it 'illogical' or 'wrong'.
    To the contrary, fictional characters are bound by reason; if they did not behave in ways that are consistent with the internal logic of the work of fiction in which they are delineated, a story would not be possible.

Oh wait, you were the one that argued in one of my past threads, that He-Man has amazing telepathic powers, and can spin fast enough to drill through Eternia's crust (because it was established in a comic or cartoon, I cannot remember your source, though both are examples of abilities many fans are fine to forget or dismiss) but yet he gets stabbed through the thigh by Tri-Klop's sword (in an official comic) and bleeds. That official canon material is soooooo logical. Pretty sure if I was capable of drilling through miles of dirt with my bare hands, I could eat swords like they were spaghetti noodles.
    I have the same criticism of that panel in the MVCreations comic book; it is inconsistent with the strength and durability feats of the character, and is the only instance in which his skin has been penetrated by a bladed weapon. Regardless, I did not write or illustrate the comic book, so I do not see how it is relevant.

Why couldn't Flutterina use these weapons? Its just a visual theme.
    You tell me how Flutterina can use these weapons:

I see no sensible reason why any of these changes should not be considered or appreciated. I think the person who creates these fantastic design concepts, understands the characters just fine. Spinderella can hurl these ninja stars with her gale force winds. Maybe when she engages in melee combat, or doesn't wish to use excessive force on a human opponent, she can disable them with a strike from her bo staff, instead of decapitating them with a spinning bladed weapon. As for the 'bladed' dress? Not only does it look sharp, its also a really deadly weapon and extremely close range. Would allow her to take down an opponent without causing massive mayhem by tossing everything around (including her allies, debris or a deathly injured rebels) to the wind. Seems like the thoughtful artist has a better grasp on the character and the intricacies of her abilities than you do.
    Spinnerella can effortlessly generate winds to harmlessly disarm and immobilize opponents. Why would she use a bo staff to accomplish this instead of her powers? Would she even engage in hand-to-hand combat? Is she the sort of character that would use deadly force or use her clothing as a spinning bladed weapon? And if an effect of her powers is "mayhem," then should she "hurl ninja stars" that may miss their targets and "deathly injure" her allies? It would seem that neither you nor the artist know the character as well as you think you do.
    Last edited by Adam_Prince of Eternia; February 1, 2013 at 12:12am.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    To the contrary, fictional characters are bound by reason; if they did not behave in ways that are consistent with the internal logic of the work of fiction in which they are delineated, a story would not be possible.

I have the same criticism of that panel in the MVCreations comic book; it is inconsistent with the strength and durability feats of the character, and is the only instance in which his skin has been penetrated by a bladed weapon. Regardless, I did not write or illustrate the comic book, so I do not see how it is relevant.

You tell me how Flutterina can use these weapons:

Spinnerella can effortlessly generate winds to harmlessly disarm and immobilize opponents. Why would she use a bo staff to accomplish this instead of her powers? Would she even engage in hand-to-hand combat? Is she the sort of character that would use deadly force or use her clothing as a spinning bladed weapon? And if an effect of her powers is "mayhem," then should she "hurl ninja stars" that may miss their targets and "deathly injure" her allies? It would seem that neither you nor the artist know the character as well as you think you do.
    You actually posted a video clip of someone using nunchuks as evidence to back up your claim? What's next? An atmospheric pressure chart of Etheria when Spinderella uses her powers? How about the results of a materials stress test which shows the effectiveness of various weapons on Horde Trooper armor?

The only thing you succeeded in doing with your post, is proving my point. If you haven't quite figured out what that is yet, or it flew over your head entirely, that's really okay. Any further discussion is simply not worth my time. I'll go back to appreciating all aspects of this amazing art, and a talented artist's quirky, clever choices, that just seem fall short of you.

In fact, I now have a new appreciation for his rendition of Spinderella, since he sees potential that you do not. In the end, you are still trying to apply facts/logic to fiction and artwork of characters that are not real. You cannot apply logic to mystical physics that have no limitations across inconsistent canons, and attempting to do so is utterly laughable. I'm simply going to place on you ignore from now on. Engaging in conversation with you only feeds your ego, since you actually think you can convince people you are 100% right, and that anyone who disagrees with you is 100% wrong. Nothing but pure nerd ego.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; February 1, 2013 at 12:54pm.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Loni, Sundar and Despera are pretty cool too! Makes me want to see more Horde or POP characters in MOTUC!!
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Okay my friends we are going to end this debate here & talk about the art going fwd. Any more interaction outside of that should be taken to pms. Thanks.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

When we should we be expecting to see more amazing art and unique concepts? This thread was derailed and needs to get back on track! I would love to request Mortella, Scorpia and Huntara.

Also, you need to clean out your PM folder Staff of Ka. I'd love to discuss the art with you.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; February 4, 2013 at 12:34am.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    Sweet concepts.
    Does Galactus fart?

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I love the accessories for these characters. specially Sweet Bee's ray gun & Mermistas shell shield with trident.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

These are all great and I especially love the take on Sunder (duh!). I can picture him perfectly in the line.
    Support GENERAL SUNDER in MOTUC!

Bring on 2016: General Sunder, Evilseed (Filmation), Karg, General Tataran, King Miro, King Ahgo, Zilora, Melaktha, Hawke, Vultak, Ileena, Lizorr, Dylamug, Enchantress, Lord Masque, Colonel Blast, Kol-Darr, Snowflake, Uncle Montork, Dree-Elle and The Twiggets.

Twitter
    Fwoosh Facebook
    Facebook

These are Awesome. I would love to see all of these in the line and I'm not even a PoP fan!
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

I really dig the art! I've had a similar idea for Impost-Ra (only I called her Fake-Her), and it's cool to see someone else likes the idea too. I mean, not like it's original or anything.

Despara is very cool, and you sold me on Sunder. I think he'd be a fantastic looking knight figure.

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    ALL of these NEED to be made!
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar

THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Emiliano gave his blessing in person, and saw all of the images prior to anyone else. He said that he is thrilled that someone took the time to do what he himself simply does not have time to do.

There are a few more to post later today!
    That's good. I am glad Emiliano gave his blessing, but I was never implying that Stuart was plagiarizer his art. My point was, he is simply adjusting someone else's concept art. I would be more impressed if Stuart actually made these concepts himself, from scratch. That's all. I'd like to see what he can do on his own, without using Emiliano's artwork as a template. Does that make sense?

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    That's good. I am glad Emiliano gave his blessing, but I was never implying that Stuart was plagiarizer his art. My point was, he is simply adjusting someone else's concept art. I would be more impressed if Stuart actually made these concepts himself, from scratch. That's all. I'd like to see what he can do on his own, without using Emiliano's artwork as a template. Does that make sense?
    I love these concepts and the guy that did them is a good mate of mine. I know the reason he did them was because Emiliano doesn't have time to do them anymore and they didn't seem to be getting what it was POP fans wanted from the POP characters. Many of us have spoken about having vintage line details combined with the filmation designs, and even some fans of the She Ra cartoon weren't keen on vintage toyline designs as they didn't want them to look like the old POP line, he really wanted to show how that could be done, using that detailing whilst still making it look like the character in the cartoon. He spoke with Emiliano about it because he wanted to keep it in the same style as all the other visions and them be about the details and how it would work as a toy and not about how the art was, he was the first to say he can't draw like emiliano and knew from previous experience people would critisize the art rather than look at what he was trying to do, which was create hybrids of the filmation looks mixed with the detailing from the vintage line and make it also interesting to the He Man fans who might not be aware of who those characters are, and I think he did that. Yes he reused some parts and the basic body buck, but he didn't just adjust the art, when did emiliano do a vision of a mermaid, a warlord with horns, or a scorpian? There's a lot of brand new illustration mixed in there too, especially on the later ones he did like delora or prahvus when he got more experienced. I think it's splitting hairs a bit to be honest, what difference is there between doing that, taking something existing and changing or adding to it to show an idea, and my doing one of my customs? I'm taking a mattel figure that someone else made, designed, created and manufactured, and then changed it to express what I wanted to show, that's all he did, and I don't even sell my customs, there are people out there doing that on a weekly basis and making a lot of money off the back of something that wasn't originally theirs, so I don't see a difference. He just wanted to show how they could be done as great action figures that incorporated filmation and toy detailing, and try and convert a few POP haters in the process. Even Eamon commented that he loved Mermista and Spinerella, so I think if that was his aim he did a great job.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Whoa, I missed the Scorpia, Darkney, and Colonel Blast concepts....they look awesome as always!

I love Mermista and Despara the most! WANT both of them now!
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

Very nice follow-ups to the original series. Looking forward to see what's next.

Heroic Warrior
    All of these designs are very lovely. The artist has captured the essence of the characters beautifully, and added so much more flavor and depth. Never mind what the naysayers who dismiss these pieces. They are all so great! Share more with us.

Really love the take on Entrapta (although I prefer the Filmation colors, it's a slight preference).

I wish Emiliano had the time to do one for her. Especially since we don't have any guarantee we'll ever get the figure.
    WTB:
    Loose: Sorceress, Whiplash
    MOC w/ mailers: Whiplash

Honestly the only thing left that I want is a great Entrapta!

This concepts are really cool stuff
    --- MOTUC need now General Darius --- Darius as MOTUC Topic

...if you are He-Ro˛ - Son of He-Man and MOTU Fan join the SoH Group

Decent art, but, if these are intended as toy production artwork, they just wouldn't work. The hair may be OK on paper but translating it to an actual toy would be next to impossible. There are too many curls and way too much detail and volume that would require the use of a quantity of plastic that will cause the figure to top, no matter what. Also, the way it sits on the shoulders would inhibit any and all head movement. Then we have the skirts. I can't even imagine how these skirts could be rendered in plastic. I can see the Horsemen or the Mattel design scratching their heads for months to figure this one out. The backpacks for the females seem to be floating in the air. The males also have issues. For example, with the kind of armor Sunder is wearing, he would not even be able to pull down his arms in a vertical position.

The real MOTUC visions were perfect both from an artistic and from a functional point of view. I hope my honest opinion isn't taken badly, as I can see room for improvement and a lot of effort has obviously been put into these.
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    These are fantastic, Staff of Ka. I wonder if we'll see some of these actualized tomorrow at Toy Fair 2014!

On a side note, Impost-Ra is amazing. Never heard of her before, a very neat concept!!!!