Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is 2015 a good idea to release the movie??

is 2015 a good idea to release the movie??

motu movie has serious chace to premiere in 2015 but is that a good idea? with the avengers 2, episode 7 and maybe Justice League in the same year? .
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Sorceress Supreme Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    motu movie has serious chace to premiere in 2015 but is that a good idea? with the avengers 2, episode 7 and maybe Justice League in the same year? .
    Let's wait and see what will happen until then.

Avengers 2, Justice League, and SW ep VII will all probably be released in the summer season. A MotU movie could be released in late November or early December. That always worked for LotR (and now the Hobbit).
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    They should do a November release, that way toy sales for Christmas should make Mattel and retailers happy...they ARE planning on putting MOTU toys back in brick & mortar stores for a movie line, yes?
    Last edited by Wylde Weezle; November 12, 2012 at 04:10pm. Reason: clarification

Thoughts

TBH, the summer of 2015 is already pretty much finished. It’s become a bit of a problem now, for sure. As we saw this year, a lot of people foolishly underestimated The Avengers. It completely destroyed everything in its path for at least a month and a half after its release. That’s pretty impressive, and it was also pretty bad to watch for all the other films. Everything this summer pretty much either bombed (Battleship, Dark Shadows) or underwhelmed (Men in Black 3) in the wake of The Avengers. The sequel will likely be the same, only worse. Any (first-timer) film seeking to capture the same audience as The Avengers 2 will get eaten alive between May and July. Then Star Wars will come out, and that’s your summer over.

As we know, Disney owns both Marvel and Lucasfilm now, so they’re not going to put two of their biggest money-earners up against each other. As a result, I think Star Wars Episode VII will probably come out in July. That and Avengers will have plenty of time to themselves to destroy the box-office. Expect nearly every other film released between The Avengers 2 and Star Wars to either suffer the same fate as Battleship, or worse. I think it will be a big mistake to release MOTU in, for example, June of 2015, because it will likely get swallowed up by The Avengers 2, as people will still be going to watch that for the fifth or sixth time like they did this year (can’t imagine why people would want to watch the same film that amount of times in the cinema in this day and age). I am almost sure that is what will happen.

Something like MOTU will need time to itself in order to flourish. It’s paramount that MOTU is allowed to breathe for at least a good two or three weeks. I think it would be suicide to release it between The Avengers 2 and Star Wars. The result wouldn’t be pretty. Hopefully Sony would have factored this in. I mean, I’m sure they know more about this stuff than me, and they would have seen (like all the other studios) just what kind of havoc The Avengers created this past summer. Problem is, I think Avatar 2 is scheduled for December 2015. So MOTU is in a bit of a pickle, to say the least. Where to put it?

A December release in 2014 can still be achieved, and it may end up doing well there. No Hobbit film in your way, so MOTU will be the biggest film that month, and it will likely be relatively secluded. Don’t forget, fantasy is about to be big again over the course of the next few years, as I’m sure The Hobbit films will be very successful and serve to wet a lot of people’s appetites.

Another scenario is an April 2015 release. April has changed now. It’s almost seen as a prelude to the summer season nowadays. MOTU could come out in April, say, a good three weeks before The Avengers. It could actually work well, as what could happen is that MOTU can feed off of the anticipation for both The Avengers and Star Wars, as its similar to both. Or even a March release. Again, just like April, March has completely changed in the last few years. As long as MOTU is allowed to breathe and steers well clear of The Avengers and Star Wars, it could do well. Again, I’m sure Sony knows how important this (relative) seclusion is.
    Last edited by Krueger; November 13, 2012 at 12:52pm.

very interesting post Krueger!

episode 7 complicate everything.

I thinks the chances are march/april , August or november.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; November 13, 2012 at 12:08am.
    MOTULA.ORG

Gotta dig Nutnog's style. audman's Avatar
    very interesting post Krueger!

episode 7 complicate everything.

I thinks the chances are march/april , August or november.
    Yeah I can dig november. Meaning more MOTU for xmas. Plus my Birthday is in November so they probably will have all the great products out around then maybe a game tooooo. Oh don't get me started.
    Highly Recommended for Fantastic Trades/sales: cayman shen, ElkThunder, Geek-man,

Heroic Warrior
    Who said 2015?
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Krueger, good points. April is the new May for movie releases. It worked for Fast & Furious. With good marketing, a MotU film could do very well in April.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Who said 2015?
    This is just speculation, but based on specific situations.

the movie already has director, a base script,They are already working on designs, todd black said they are probably filming next year and
    the contract with sony and espape artits was extended until 2015.
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    This is just speculation, but based on specific situations.

the movie already has director, a base script,They are already working on designs, todd black said they are probably filming next year and
    the contract with sony and espape artits was extended until 2015.
    It's been in this state before.

To me, until it's in front of the cameras it's not really happening.

-CM Punk

It's been in this state before.
    hmm I think it was never in this current state.
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    hmm I think it was never in this current state.
    Jon Chu is not the first director attached to this project. Lest you forget John Stevenson. Multiple script drafts were written at Warner Bros.

-CM Punk

Heroic Warrior
    Knee jerk reaction is no.

However, as everyone else has said so far, it's just a matter of proper scheduling and things can work out.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    The Star Wars movies have always been released in May, and I don't see that changing even with Disney buying Lucasfilm. So if anything, Avengers 2 will get pushed back to later in the summer - perhaps the end of June or early July depending on when during May SW VII is released. Star Wars VII and Avengers 2 are both going after the same audience that a MOTU movie needs to draw, it'll be tough trying to hold an audience against either movie (or both if the new MOTU movie was foolishly released between them).

Fortunately the final movie based on The Hobbit will run in December 2014 so that probably means the MOTU movie has a good chance for a solid December release date. The question is whether it'll be better to release the new MOTU movie mid-December or the last weekend before Christmas, the latter is the spot that The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is using and the same weekend Avatar used a few weeks ago. I've not payed too much attention to what's getting released in 2015 so there's probably a few movies I'm not aware of that are also angling for the December spot. EDIT: Just noticed Krueger's mention of Avatar 2

I get the idea of releasing the new MOTU movie around Thanksgiving (IE late November) to play off of toy sales, but I don't think it would be as good a spot as a December release. The toys and the usual movie promotion methods can build on each other amply during this time as the final full trailer often hits around a month prior to a movie's release. And in the case of a December release that can put the final MOTU trailer in front of whatever movies are released in late November. Plus Mattel can get in a double whammy for MOTU by running a couple of the toy commercials in theaters around that time -- even better if they use a few clips from the movie in the ad.

{On a side note: I'd love to see a robust ARG (alternate reality game) that kicks off at least in the Spring of 2015 as part of the movie's promotion. I had a great time playing the ARG for TRON Legacy, I think MOTU fans could get a kick out of playing a MOTU based ARG while waiting for trailers and clips to get released.}

Waiting for that last weekend before Christmas leaves open a solid two weeks of chances for people to go see the movie, and hopefully excitement of Christmas (not to mention stockings filled with MOTU toys) can drive more viewers to see MOTU. Whereas a late November release largely confines movie watching to the weekends and the theatrical run for a movie released in late November typically slows down by Christmas.

I'm not sure an Autumn 2015 release could serve a MOTU movie well -- so with Summer 2015 out and potentially December 2015 snagged by Avatar 2 it may be best of the MOTU movie gets a May 2016 release. Of course, if Avatar 2 doesn't get a 2015 release then hopefully the MOTU movie can snag the prime December spot.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; November 13, 2012 at 08:42pm.

Widget
    I think 2015 is a GREAT idea, provided they release it in April. More on that in a moment...
    Jon Chu is not the first director attached to this project. Lest you forget John Stevenson. Multiple script drafts were written at Warner Bros.
    Actually, John Chu is indeed the first director attached to this movie, a Sony movie.

Keep in mind that the movie now in development is NOT the same movie that was developed at Warner with John Stevenson attached, the moment Warner handed back MOTU rights to Mattel, that incarnation of the movie ended, everything developed for it being rendered null and void.

If we count when Fox had the rights and John Woo was attached to direct, there has actually been three different and unrelated MOTU movies in development over the past decade. Two of those never happened. The third and current one, is seemingly closer to actually getting made than any of the other two ever were.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    … Another scenario is an April 2015 release. April has changed now. It’s almost seen as a prelude to the summer season nowadays. MOTU could come out in April, say, a good three weeks before The Avengers. It could actually work well, as what could happen is that MOTU can feed off of the anticipation for both The Avengers and Star Wars, as its similar to both. Or even a March release. Again, just like April, March has completely changed in the last few years. As long as MOTU is allowed to breathe and steers well clear of The Avengers and Star Wars, it could do well.
    EXCELLENT post Krueger, one I agree with completely. “The Avengers 2” and “Star Wars VII” will dominate the summer of 2015, and decimate everything in their path. MOTU won’t stand a chance between or after (specially not after, then the hunger will be satisfied) those movies, it’s only real chance of being a hit is it is in being released before either of them. Early to mid April 2015 would be perfect timing, as audiences hungry for their fix of sci-fi and phantasy will be more prone to seeing it than they otherwise would.

Not only that, attach the final trailer for “The Avengers 2” and the first full length trailer for “Star Wars VII” to every screening of “MOTU”, and that alone will bump up the opening weekend gross by 10 million +. I vote for an April 2015 release. Perfect timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    The Star Wars movies have always been released in May, and I don't see that changing even with Disney buying Lucasfilm. So if anything, Avengers 2 will get pushed back to later in the summer
    I very much doubt that.

FOX released the Star Wars movies in early May, but Paramount and now Disney has incredible success in releasing Marvel movies the first week in May domestically, and the week before internationally. My hunch is that the Marvel movies earn more worldwide by being released in May than they would if they were released later, and I’d be surprised if Disney came to a different conclusion. Star Wars on the other hand sells itself, I doubt releasing it in May or July would affect profits much either way.
    For that reason, my guesstimate is that “The Avengers 2” will be released first week of May, while “Star Wars VII” will be released around 4th of July – and I pity any other movies being released in between the two.

I think a MOTU movie would do fine in March or Christmas time. These days, IMO, there are so many movies I want to see in May, June and July that I sometimes can't find to time to see them all. If it came out in March like 300 or Christmas like LOTR I would definitely see it once or twice without breaking a sweat.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

anyway there will always be competition in any year, the movie should be released in some time and there will always be a risk.
    MOTULA.ORG

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post

Fortunately the final movie based on The Hobbit will run in December 2014 so that probably means the MOTU movie has a good chance for a solid December release date.
    The final Hobbit Movie is scheduled to come out in June 2014, not December.

See, everything big for 2015 is steering clear of May. Fox have just set the Fantastic Four reboot for March 2015. I’ve got a feeling WB might try April for Justice League. Of course, here’s hoping Sony beats them to it. Even so, it seems as though no one in 2015 wants to get stuck between The Avengers and Star Wars.

how about the end of 2014? They still have time.
    MOTULA.ORG

TBH, I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t hear anything from now until at least the end of March. I really believe that, as of now, a lot depends on GI Joe 2. If that bombs spectacularly I doubt Sony will push ahead with Jon Chu. However, if it makes good money then I think MOTU will be given the green-light sooner rather than later. But yeah, finding a vacant release spot is going to be very tough. I still think either December 2014 or April 2015 are the two best bets. Still, if Avatar 2 doesn’t come out in December of 2015 (James Cameron loves to take his time), then MOTU could go there.

I think the next three or four months are going to be a very nail-biting time for us MOTU fans wanting to see this thing finally get made. Its either going to get the green-light, or not. I don’t think there will be a middle ground. Methinks we'll know by April next year.

I think if SONY see in MOTU a great potential, they must set a release date soon,the other companies are taking over all the possible dates.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; December 8, 2012 at 10:55pm.
    MOTULA.ORG

Winter time is definitely the best time. That way there shouldn't be any overwhelming competition.

I think episode 7 not arrive in time for release in 2015, that is already rumored . opens a little panning for motu movie.
    MOTULA.ORG