Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skyfall

I'm really not interested in "remakes" of older Bond films. If they pull elements of older films to weave into newer films, I'm fine with that.

I agree on the way Bond has had to deal with loss - Vesper and M.

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Nah, the Craig series is clearly a reboot. There would be too many contradictions otherwise. One of them being Felix. Remember, in Dr No, Bond never met Felix before. If CR was meant to be before Dr No, they should not have had him meet Felix there.

As for OHMSS, honestly, I don't think it would work. First off, he would be getting married way too soon to Vesper dying. In the books, the reason he never really got into a serious relationship was because of Vesper until he met Tracy (which was the 10th book, years later).

Now I would not have a problem with them doing new adaptations of Fleming's stories with Craig, as the books are extremely different from the movies. They could easily get a way with it, especially if they made the newer movies closer to the books (like having Moonraker be the name of a missile and Drax is a Quantum agent).

BTW,

when you think about it, Silva won in the end.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

The weird thing is, if it really is Bond at the start of his career, why do they make a big deal about him being old for the spy game at one point int he movie? I mean, I think he proves them wrong, but it's there. I agree though it does seem more like a reboot. Or a soft reboot, at least.

He didn't start young maybe.

Evil Master of Warcraft
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post

BTW, when you think about it...............
    I thought the same thing when it happened.
    Giving away three free months of World of Warcraft + copy of game. PM me for details.

Diablo III Battletag = Hordack#1465 WoW - Ghostlands Sever XBL Gamertag = Hordack1980

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    He didn't start young maybe.
    I guess there's a difference between when he started his career as a spy and when he became a 007, too.

Master of New Adventures!
    Absolutely agreed. The words "Goldfinger" and "remake" should never even be used in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    Well I guess it's the POV then were I will disagree. I believe that even though these stories take place earlier in his career that this is still a continuation of the series started with Sean Connery not a restart. With that in mind re-doing a classic like OHMSS would not make sense. If you believe that this is a reboot then I could definitely see them remaking some some of the earlier Bonds. Maybe a third Thunderball?

I beg in the name of Albert Broccoli and Harry Saltzman please do not touch OHMSS. It is a special Bond film, IMO. As Lazenby only played Bond once it really makes sense as he was the only Bond to really lose in the end. It doesn't reflect on any other Bond film besides For Your Eyes Only and partially in the beginning of Diamonds Are Forever. I'd hate if they remade it with Craig the same way if they remade Goldfinger with Craig. Dr. Who can only meet the Daleks for the first time once no matter how much we love the current Doctor.
    - - - Updated - - -

Absolutely agreed. The words "Goldfinger" and "remake" should never even be used in the same sentence.

Well I guess it's the POV then were I will disagree. I believe that even though these stories take place earlier in his career that this is still a continuation of the series started with Sean Connery not a restart. With that in mind re-doing a classic like OHMSS would not make sense. If you believe that this is a reboot then I could definitely see them remaking some some of the earlier Bonds. Maybe a third Thunderball?

I beg in the name of Albert Broccoli and Harry Saltzman please do not touch OHMSS. It is a special Bond film, IMO. As Lazenby only played Bond once it really makes sense as he was the only Bond to really lose in the end. It doesn't reflect on any other Bond film besides For Your Eyes Only and partially in the beginning of Diamonds Are Forever. I'd hate if they remade it with Craig the same way if they remade Goldfinger with Craig. Dr. Who can only meet the Daleks for the first time once no matter how much we love the current Doctor.

Saw it last night thought it was brilliant. Javier Bardiem is phenomenal and the end sequence was so beautifully filmed and had such a fresh yet classic style. Great plot twist for a film focused on cyber-terrorism.

Nah, the Craig series is clearly a reboot. There would be too many contradictions otherwise. One of them being Felix. Remember, in Dr No, Bond never met Felix before. If CR was meant to be before Dr No, they should not have had him meet Felix there.

As for OHMSS, honestly, I don't think it would work. First off, he would be getting married way too soon to Vesper dying. In the books, the reason he never really got into a serious relationship was because of Vesper until he met Tracy (which was the 10th book, years later).

Now I would not have a problem with them doing new adaptations of Fleming's stories with Craig, as the books are extremely different from the movies. They could easily get a way with it, especially if they made the newer movies closer to the books (like having Moonraker be the name of a missile and Drax is a Quantum agent).BTW,
    Ooo, good point. I never thought about the bad Bond films getting new life and better films with Craig in the lead, namely Moonraker and A View to a Kill, I think we can all agree, the worst James Bond films ever made. If we got a true Moonraker it would be vastly different and much better. I know I have voiced my displeasure of remaking classic Bond films but bad ones, that's another story.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

I really strongly disagree with your view on OHMSS, particularly equating it in any way to a remake of Goldfinger. The death of Mrs. Bond was a milestone in Bond's personal history. His having a wife who died was what informed his entire story in License to Kill (though not one of my favorite Bond movies even so). I hated that there was no call back to the loss of Tracy in The World is Not Enough even though that title came from OHMSS and WINE even had the villain asking Bond if he'd suffered loss (maybe blame Brosnan's performance as much as anything for that though). I don't think what I've suggested is "touching" OHMSS either. The original is still there to watch and love, not ruined like a Special Edition with new CGI avalanches. Dr. No isn't diminished by showing a new first contact between Bond and Felix Leiter, nor is it unwelcome that Felix isn't half-eaten by a shark anymore. I'm not demanding a steak, but I don't think the cow needs to be this sacred. I'd beg fans not to be that way about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    See "let's remake Goldfinger" is nothing like what I am talking about. There's no story in Goldfinger that builds on the character of Bond the way OHMSS did, remaking it really would just be a cheap trick for name recognition (although I'm sure ***** Galore would get a happy laugh from people). Most of the famous touches in it have already been revisited anyway: oil/gold covered murder, the aston martin with seat ejection, and I think Silva topped the awkward laser to the crotch scene without any props.

Now I would not have a problem with them doing new adaptations of Fleming's stories with Craig, as the books are extremely different from the movies. They could easily get a way with it, especially if they made the newer movies closer to the books (like having Moonraker be the name of a missile and Drax is a Quantum agent).
    Now see, I think remaking the "bad" and fairly inconsequential Bond movies would be far worse than revisiting one major story point about Bond's personal life or his conflict with Blofeld (could Mr. White fill that role now I wonder).

Ooo, good point. I never thought about the bad Bond films getting new life and better films with Craig in the lead, namely Moonraker and A View to a Kill, I think we can all agree, the worst James Bond films ever made. If we got a true Moonraker it would be vastly different and much better. I know I have voiced my displeasure of remaking classic Bond films but bad ones, that's another story.
    Sorry to be the odd man out again but I don't agree with that. I think Moonraker is the goofiest, but that doesn't equal worst. I'm still more entertained by both it and AVTAK than by For Your Eyes Only.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406