Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 102 Discussion!

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 102 Discussion!

Episode 102 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, "Pixel Dan" Eardley and Eamon O'Donoghue are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode we are joined by Scott Neitlich as we discuss
    shout outs,
    Eamon's pinup exhibition,
    More on MOTUC Castle Grayskull
    *Note: Nov 10th preorder deadline extended to Nov 12th,
    Grayamyr and Larry DiTillio,
    iOs MOTU video game app,
    Funko Pop Vinyl,
    Funko Wacky Wobblers,
    Newera MOTUC hats,
    NYCC and conventions
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Runtime: 1 hour, 21 minutes, 59 seconds

Direct link for Episode 102

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed

AWESOME!!! Castle Grayskull episode!!!
    YAAAAA!!!

PLUS PLUS!!! EVEN MORE GOOBLE!!!!

[eats faster... twitches... suddenly jerks shirt up over head an throws arms up]

I AM THE GREAT CORNHOLIO!!!

...[wanders off in gooble overload]....
    Last edited by Replikor; November 10, 2012 at 08:16pm.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Awesome! Been great catching up on all this Gooble at once.

BTW, the Spikor Pop Vinyl isnt the first piece of Spikor merch:

http://he-man.org/merchandising/item.php?id=207

Might be the second though!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

The game works great on the iphone.

Keep 'em coming, Val.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

I wanted to ask Val, has the deadline already passed to call in for the Fan special episode?

Replikor, I don't think there is a deadline. Leave a voice mail or send an email to RGD when you want to be heard. We'd all like to hear what you have to say.
    Manny

Manny's right. You can always leave e-mail or voicemail, as we'll just use it in the next episode where we go over those.

I wish Eamon would have discussed European costs a bit in detail, as he is subject to them too. The shipping plus tax that is about 90 dollars (shipping)+23-25% (tax added to the price with shipping). So it is over 400 dollars for Europeans, and I do not see this changing unless it is kept mentioned time to time. Of course European warehouse isn't exactly a new topic.

Also, I think Val had slight factual error in the show. Presuming we talk about the same thing, I think it is good to point out that Frankfurt convention isn't a "Comic Con" but a "Book Fair". So the focus isn't on comic or pop-culture rather than trade show for books in general, it seems to have sizeable comic related part to it, but to me it seems the big two US cons are bigger on that subject matter. Convention website is here: http://www.buchmesse.de/en/ (more specific: http://www.buchmesse.de/en/fbf/topics/comics/) and here is an English article about it: http://comicsbeat.com/frankfurt-comic-con-2012/. Feel free to correct me, if I am mistaken.

But, it was great to have a new episode! Keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I think it is good to point out that Frankfurt convention isn't a "Comic Con" but a "Book Fair". So the focus isn't on comic or pop-culture rather than trade show for books in general, it seems to have sizeable comic related part to it, but to me it seems the big two US cons are bigger on that subject matter.
    Cool, good to know. Thanks for that! What percentage would you say is dedicated to comics?

It's so nice to have the Gooble back.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Cool, good to know. Thanks for that! What percentage would you say is dedicated to comics?
    I wish I knew, judging from the site it seemed to be be a more minor corner, lets throw 10%? However we probably have a German fans here on forums to correct me (and please do).

In biggest Finnish book fair comics are like maybe 2% (Helsinki Book fair) or such, but comic culture is more appreciated in central Europe (especially in Belgium and France). We have lots of smaller comic/pop-culture centered events but people attending to those is more into hundreds or thousands... not in tens of thousands. Then again, there is only about 5 million people living in Finland.

Comic culture also seems different. US is more superhero centered, while European comics tend to be these hard cover 36 page stories that have few volumes but a definite beginning and the end. Of course we have our long running Smurfs, Asterix & Obelix, Lucky Luke, Blueberry etc but they do not release monthly, more like yearly. Only regular weekly comic publication here (Finland) is Donald Duck, that strangely is not at all popular in US (I noted how Dan and Dan's wife didn't recognize all the characters in one video which probably everyone in Finland would, even us "adults"). I think currently most Donald Duck stories are even made in Europe mostly by Spanish, Dutch and Italian talents. People might not know who Stan Lee is here, but Carl Barks (Legendary Donald Duck artist/writer) we all know.

I hope I did not step too much out of the topic, I love talking about comics

Guys Great Episode! I've been loving the constant flow of Gooble especially since we here on the Eastern seaboard got nailed with the Hurricane and it definitely can take your mind off things in between everything hearing 'old friends' talking about all things He-Man. Glad you're all back!

Just to add something to your "New York Comic Con" segment, the NYCC has definitely evolved into a MEGA Event and every year grows in size in terms of real estate. I remember when they first brought the Con back to NY in early 2000, it only encompassed about 40% of the Javitz, where it has now taken the entire complex over; even to the point where in 2005 (I think this was the 2nd year) the NY Fire Department had to shut down the event due to overcrowding. Before 2000, NY never had a Con as big as this; as they were usually held at the Hotel Pennsylvania which is located across from Madison Square Garden and took up only about 2 ballroom floors and no more and comics weren't as big as they are now. The Javitz Center did hold a Con in the early 90's in Jan. but it was during a major snow storm as well as a tester (this was the organizers 1st attempt); I guess it didn't do to well, they felt it wasn't worth revisiting it and it pretty much was the last big scale Con in NYC. Not a big enough crowd and exposure of the industry, not a big enough location and there was never a definitive time of year the event was set. It bounced all over the year every year ranging from Feb., Apr, to finally settling in on Oct. (and joining forces with the Anime Festival Con) as sort of the book end to the US 'Con season on this particular scale (although there are a few more after NY).

And as someone who has been they consecutively since 2007 oh man it doesn't get any smaller!!! As Eamon and Penny mentioned if they could find a bigger location... I don't really think there is anywhere bigger than the Javitz unless you got something the size of Central Park. Maneuvering sometimes you need to 'ride the wave' of people in the direction you hope to go cause it gets PACKED! And on Saturday when all the celebrities and stars appear, WHOAH! And Val I think your right, the tally was somewhere near 150,000 + (almost Sat. alone) as far as attendees and it was climbing. Since I had a booth and would get there early, I would see the lines forming as early as 7:00am and the line NEVER stopped, I would occasionally go out to see the flow and the line was still coming in and went as far up a block down.

I think the appeal and impact that comics have made in the entertainment industry, in addition to other things such as the anime fans and the video game industry, have generated enough interest that all walks of life come to the Con. And even people who have no general interest in the Con come just to see what it's all about, I mean in NYC there is always something going on and people will come just to see what brings out thousands of fans to something like this! Every new year that follows I have friends and family call me asking how they can go (even after it sells out) cause they hear so much about this, it's amazing and crazy at the same time.

I'm glad Artist alley seemed to work out well, I was initially saddened by the relocating cause in prior years in order to get to the artist alley you were indirectly led through the independent small press section where me and my friend are and that helped us out major! I mean it wasn't the only way to get there but the great thing was crowds would trickle down into our area and take a look at all the non-established creators and small press. Though the change did affect us we still did well for being relative unknowns in the industry and have actually considered relocating to the Alley as well!

Well I think I could ramble on about the NYCC, but I just wanted to echo Val's sentiment on how it has now become a staple (no pun intended) of the NYC
    Comic Convention circuit and only seems to grow each year! So until 2013....
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

awesome show - thanks
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION