Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Castle Grayskull minimum reached! Playset is a go!

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I just wanted to say thank you to ToyGuru. This is something I'm sure he's been pushing for for a while and it couldn't have been easy, so well done, Scott!!!!
    Yeah. You did good, Toyguru! Thanks for making that holy grail that Castle Grayskull always was a REALITY!
    And I feel incredibly proud of US as a community. We DID IT. We have the POWER...

After the doom-and-gloom following the disappointed subscription numbers, I truly believe that this should also be a tremendous wake up call for Mattel. I mean, at 250 a pop, Castle Grayskull is a living proof that WE are ready to spend massive amount of money to get what we want.

So less obscure, forgotten artwork... More iconic MOTU legends. Long live MOTUC!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    I've certainly been vocal about the things I don't like about the line, but I definitely have to echo the kudos for TG on this one. It must have been a quality bit of salesmanship to get Mattel to buy off on this.
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by oulala View Post
    Yeah. You did good, Toyguru! Thanks for making that holy grail that Castle Grayskull always was a REALITY!

And let's not forget Mattel management as long as we're handing out back-slaps and handshakes. They took the evidence that such a thing might sell well from the Hoverboard pre-order and thought it would similarly help to push Grayskull. Scott I'm sure has played honcho in helping to keep Grayskull on their minds throughout the years, but he didn't pull the trigger on a yay or nay. That was Mattel mngt and of course ultimately the fans for buying in.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MISSILE-TOE View Post
    ermm...is that from the "Garbage Pail Kids" movie by anychance....?
    IT IS the song from Garbage Pail Kids the movie. That cinematic opus is indeed the origin of that catchy tune
    I quoted the same thing when the 2013 subs made it through and NOBODY knew what the heck I was talking about lol. God help me I am such a dork.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Still very excited!

It's going to be SUCH a long wait LOL.

I'm curious what the "design team" will be comprised of... is it the 4H and Reuben? Is it Baena? Who?
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Still very excited!

It's going to be SUCH a long wait LOL.

I'm curious what the "design team" will be comprised of... is it the 4H and Reuben? Is it Baena? Who?
    I think like everything in the MOTUC's Line the Horsemen will do all the sculpting and then Ruben & design turn it into a working toy. How the secret doors open, how the parts will be tooled to connect the front and back parts of the castle together etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I think like everything in the MOTUC's Line the Horsemen will do all the sculpting and then Ruben & design turn it into a working toy. How the secret doors open, how the parts will be tooled to connect the front and back parts of the castle together etc.
    That's reasonable - and yeah, it would be par for the course.

I wonder though, Reuben drew the plans, right? Or at least he and the design team did.

So how will the 4H infuse the sculpt with their own input? It will have to look a bit different, right?
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Heroic Warrior
    It was never in any doubt. And I reckon the sculpt was pretty much completed a long time ago. You can't produce precise blueprints based on guesswork.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    It was never in any doubt. And I reckon the sculpt was pretty much completed a long time ago. You can't produce precise blueprints based on guesswork.
    The sculpt was not done long ago, no. Blueprints are precise because they are blueprints. You don't build a building and then draw the architectural drawing. The sheet was a technical drawing meant to show what the Castle could be. That's why it's precise. I imagine the final product will be the same size and general shape and proportion but the 4H will still bring a lot of their own flare to it.

I think the Castle itself was given the greenlight a long time ago.

I wonder how long it will take to sculpt. Will Eric T. do the entire thing or will all the 4H share the sculpting and CB's fabrication work? Seems like a lot to do + all of the other figures they need to make. I guess that's why they are who they are!!!
    Check out my band The Caterpillar Book on iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, etc.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I think the Castle itself was given the greenlight a long time ago.
    I also think it was never in doubt and the hype was all to boost sales. A very good stratagy cause it obviously works.

After looking at my figures day in and day out, I can't believe in a year we will have a home big enough for them to walk through the front door! 2013 could be the best year of all time.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    I wonder how long it will take to sculpt. Will Eric T. do the entire thing or will all the 4H share the sculpting and CB's fabrication work? Seems like a lot to do + all of the other figures they need to make. I guess that's why they are who they are!!!
    Well, that depends on if they choose to physically sculpt it. I have a few friends who are artists and now use "Z" brush, which is a 3D sculpting program. They produce a sculpture digitally and manipulate it as they wish. They can make it bigger, smaller, copy pieces, and mirror them. Then they have the part "printed" on a 3D printer, or cut out on a milling machine. I've seen them produce something in a day, and have it printed out the next day. It's an amazing process, and can yield quite amazing results.

For anything like a vehicle, its almost a must, because you can create a very complicated piece in a short amount of time, and just have the pieces printed out for a prototype. The same drawings can then be used to make the parts for the production piece. The company I work for part time makes items for SONY, manly video game props. They can take the files for weapons in a video game, email it to this company. They can then use a 3D printer and print out a physical piece and create a full size replica of the weapon used in a video game.

I'm sure for something like a figure, half the fun is sculpting it, but for anything large scale, they might sculpt it virtually and go through a few prototypes. They may even have a buck cut out, and sculpt over it to finesse it with more detail.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Forgive me if this has been asked previously, but if we've already ordered one and then decide to order another before January, will shipping be combined for both? Thanks in advance.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

The only way to take the sculpting duties away from the FourHorsemen on this, ultimate Castle Grayskull, would only be done by taking it from their cold dead hands.
    That said, I'd guess that all the Horsemen will work on this in some capacity, it's the biggest thing they'll have ever done. Plus I've no doubt Mattels design team will have some input.

Tytus will help too right? it takes a village to build a castle right?

We already have it on good authority, the blue prints were created by both Reuben and the FourHorsemen. Scott said basically as much at the Matty panel at NYCC.

I've said it before, and happy to say it again, HUGE thanks to Scott for fighting so hard for this, and big thanks again to Mattel for approving this and giving the line the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by Baena; November 19, 2012 at 09:23am.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by manowar View Post
    Well, that depends on if they choose to physically sculpt it. I have a few friends who are artists and now use "Z" brush, which is a 3D sculpting program. They produce a sculpture digitally and manipulate it as they wish. They can make it bigger, smaller, copy pieces, and mirror them. Then they have the part "printed" on a 3D printer, or cut out on a milling machine. I've seen them produce something in a day, and have it printed out the next day. It's an amazing process, and can yield quite amazing results.

For anything like a vehicle, its almost a must, because you can create a very complicated piece in a short amount of time, and just have the pieces printed out for a prototype. The same drawings can then be used to make the parts for the production piece. The company I work for part time makes items for SONY, manly video game props. They can take the files for weapons in a video game, email it to this company. They can then use a 3D printer and print out a physical piece and create a full size replica of the weapon used in a video game.

I'm sure for something like a figure, half the fun is sculpting it, but for anything large scale, they might sculpt it virtually and go through a few prototypes. They may even have a buck cut out, and sculpt over it to finesse it with more detail.

the 4HM dont use PC programs to sculpt, they are very old school, which is what makes their stuff so amazing.
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    These guys put together that incredible Battle Ram prototype in their spare time. They may be incredibly busy with the figures, but i'm certain they'll make Grayskull their Number One priority, since it'll be the largest and most expensive toy they've ever done. I doubt they're ever going to get this opportunity again, so i'm sure they'll all be involved in the process of making it.

Quote Originally Posted by nintendo2600 View Post
    I also think it was never in doubt and the hype was all to boost sales. A very good stratagy cause it obviously works.
    Don't know if I believe this is really true, but if it helps the line out, I'm all for the supposed manipulation in this case.

Heroic Warrior
    I got my credit card statement today and the $270 charger wasn't listed,though my order was submitted.So,everythings cool.A few folks said they got charged for Castle Greyskull.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cryanmchsi View Post
    I got my credit card statement today and the $270 charger wasn't listed,though my order was submitted.So,everythings cool.A few folks said they got charged for Castle Greyskull.
    Who?

Unless they showed a screen capture, I'd be tempted to call shenanigans.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Hey all I was out of the loop for 8 months can I still order this? How would I do it or is it all gone? Thanks

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mac&cheesier View Post
    Hey all I was out of the loop for 8 months can I still order this? How would I do it or is it all gone? Thanks
    http://www.mattycollector.com/DRHM/s...ctID=258165100

Still got a couple weeks! but it's not to late YET!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    http://www.mattycollector.com/DRHM/s...ctID=258165100

Still got a couple weeks! but it's not to late YET!!

Oh wow! Thanks sooo much my good friend I wonder how much shipping will be for 20lbs? Plus tax too. I guess they did say it will be more on the matty site for this? So preorders is going to be the cheapest way to get this. I wonder if they will reissue this later on down the road like all the older figures? Its going to be tough for me to squeeze this in my budget. But it's castle gray skull I really want it! Don't know what to do yet, at least I have 3 weeks to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by mac&cheesier View Post
    Oh wow! Thanks sooo much my good friend I wonder how much shipping will be for 20lbs? Plus tax too. I guess they did say it will be more on the matty site for this? So preorders is going to be the cheapest way to get this. I wonder if they will reissue this later on down the road like all the older figures? Its going to be tough for me to squeeze this in my budget. But it's castle gray skull I really want it! Don't know what to do yet, at least I have 3 weeks to decide.
    You aren't charged until it ships next year. Pre-Order now to get it at its cheapest! then save up for it over the year.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog