Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Talkback - DC Comics #4 He-Man and MOTU *SPOILERS*

Official Talkback - DC Comics #4 He-Man and MOTU *SPOILERS*

Available now!

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #4

Teela and Adam journey to a mysterious volcano where they'll face Evil-Lyn and her warlord Man-At-Arms! Can Adam and Teela defeat their former ally?

Written by
    Keith Giffen

Pencils by
    Pop Mhan
    Philip Tan

Discuss..

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Just zoomed through it, it looks interesting and action packed, will have to wait until end of today to read it.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

Man, you can really tell this is where Giffen took over these books. The dialogue, the overall tonal shift of the book. I'm starting to feel very hopeful for the continuation of this book beyond 6 issues.
    "Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar." - Marilyn Manson

it's a better read than issue 3, IMO. But I'm still not very happy about the series.

I'm not too keen on Skeletor acting almost afraid of Evil-Lyn and her powers being equal to his. But Giffen at least does a good job at giving a reason for why the evil warriors don't just kill Adam. Most dialogues are done well and much better than in previous issues. The fact that Hordak's (or Horde Prime's) head talks to Skeletor is very interesting. Man-At-Arms' character is done well, and I loved when he whispered that he'd kill Evil-Lyn if his daughter dies. And as for Evil-Lyn, I'm really happy that she's not constantly babbling like Mer-Man did.

However, there's still several things I do not like. Teela's bashing of Adam feels forced and too much at this point. I'm tired of Teela herself running around half-naked and looking nothing like Teela for another issue (I won't even start about how much I hate that DC has turned Teela into one of those stereotypical D-sized comic babes). Evil-Lyn looks and acts more Malefitz-esque than ever. The villain letting the heroes fight for their lives has been done in issue 2 already as was Adam being locked into a cage. Evil-Lyn's fortress doesn't help alot to make the planet feel like Eternia - this time, it's just a couple Aztek pyramids in front of a fortress that would better used better as Avion. And we already have our third penciller here, with Philip Tan only having done two pages for this issue.
    Last edited by Sir Reilly; November 14, 2012 at 04:48am.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

WOW did we get a new artist for this issue? Cos it looks so much nicer, I much prefer this art style, Teela looks AMAZING. Can't wait for my issue to arrive in the post!
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    WOW did we get a new artist for this issue? Cos it looks so much nicer, I much prefer this art style, Teela looks AMAZING. Can't wait for my issue to arrive in the post!
    I SEE!!! I'm in for a treat today!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I SEE!!! I'm in for a treat today!

Yes you are - I want a Shipwrecked Teela and Adam 2-Pack
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

I loved the Teela and Adam banter.
    I loved the cruelty of Evil-Lyn in regards to the father daughter relationship
    And in general I really liked the art.

My favorite so far.

The new artist is doing great. I'm so glad they finally got rid of Tan's rush work, although I must say his Skeletor spread turned out fantastic. I really enjoyed the conversation between Skeletor and the skull, but overal the dialogue is still disappointingly trivial and the constant Teela / Adam bickering is downward tedious. On the other hand, the pacing of the story was excellent and highly entertaining.

Also, that giant cauldron looked a bit silly to me. I had preferred if they had stuck with a regular volcano.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by this issue, which has been a definite improvement on the previous three.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I read it last night, and enjoyed it. Like issue #3 I thought it was a big improvement over the first two. I liked the artwork and dialogue. My only problem was it seemed to end too fast. Just when I was really getting into it, bam, cliffhanger ending.
    So now we know what Skeletor is doing with the skull of power, but where is Sir Laser-Lot? hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    lol! Add Shipwrecked Teela to my Teela variant want-list.

Love the cover of this issue and the new drawing style.
    Can't wait to hold my printed version in hands. Should take a few more days...

Love it!
    Teela is really sexy and thats fine for me
    Hordak's head is great too.
    This story is different than the usul motu canon but I can say its really well done.
    With the Skeletor's origin #1, this is one of the best dc comic IMO

Whoa. Teela looks very….tantalising here.

Just finished it- was a fun read... interesting to see if the Hordak head thing is explained a bit more or if we're just supposed to "go with it". Can't wait to see Adam finally turn into He-Man and set things right!

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    I really enjoyed it!

The dialogue bewteen characters, story and art have improved in this issue, hopefully this continues.

Bring on Issue#5.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    lol! Add Shipwrecked Teela to my Teela variant want-list.
    Yeah. I'm in too!

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

The art is great. And Teela... ah yeah (plus, Adam is shirtless for our gay friends too )

However, I've never liked the banter-style dialogue. The characters do not seem to take their problems seriously. There's no tension & it comes across as quite silly & dull. (To me.) Plus, Teela's crossbow wound would have put her to the ground, puking & screaming. Why not a realistic nick or a warning shot? Again - silly.

I like Evil-Lyn being scary to Skeletor. Good exposition between Skelly & Hordquak.

I would like to see Adam roasted and for Adora to show up she could save the day & we could pretend like Adam is dead for an issue or two - now that's a twist y'all.
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; November 14, 2012 at 06:40pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Hordak taunts Skeletor about not leaving the castle when in fact he left the castle already in issue 2. Is Skeletor victim of memory issues too!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    The art is great. And Teela... yeah (plus, Adam is shirtless for our gay friends too )

However, I've never liked the banter-style dialogue. The characters do not seem to take their problems seriously. There's no tension & it comes across as quite silly & dull. (To me.) Plus, Teela's crossbow wound would have put her to the ground, puking & screaming. Why not a realistic nick or a warning shot? Again - silly.
    I took their relationship to read as light-hearted and fun. While I'm not one of Filmation's biggest fans and would prefer He-Man and Teela's relationship to eventually turn romantic, I've been enjoying the brother-sister relationship between Adam and Teela. The bickering is fun...reminds me of Sojourn's Arwyn and Gareb.

However, I do see your point about taking things seriously.

As far as Teela taking an arrow and continuing to fight, I read it as a "bad-ass warrior woman" trope.

Havent gotten our copy yet, anything on the Sorceress at all in this issue??
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    As far as Teela taking an arrow and continuing to fight, I read it as a "bad-ass warrior woman" trope.
    sure, she could grit her teeth, but when a x-bow bolt tears into muscle/bone like that, your arm doesn't work.

Oh well, that's comics for you.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

The way Teela and Zoar seem to interact in these pages makes me wonder if the writer is aware that the "bird" in fact is Teela's mother.

Much much much better than any of the other issues........ but........

WHERE THE HELL IS HE-MAN!
    Last edited by kissero; November 14, 2012 at 07:26pm.
    "From here to Eterni...a"

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Whoa. Teela looks very….tantalising here.
    She looks too much like Shanna the She-Devil for my liking.

These comics make such a great case for Teela being a redhead. Too much blond here combined with yellow sky, beach sand, and tan clothes. Kind of funny how Adam is being turned into He-Man by losing clothes one issue at a time. Gotta wonder how much less covered they will let Teela get.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406