Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Talkback - DC Comics #4 He-Man and MOTU *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by Broc Longstaff View Post
    The introduction of MAA and the knowledge that Skeletor has made him Evil-lyns right hand man and servent!
    Perhaps EL took him for herself.
    Back in the UK comics (which were mostly terrible), there was one good story where EL's love philter backfires & not only does MAA fall in love with her, but she with him. (Yes, EL uses her sexuality - or the promise of it - to manipulate a man here - hah!)
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; November 16, 2012 at 05:50pm.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Finally a decent storyline. I like this one a lot.

I like how they made Teela a Halloween hooker.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Snappy Threader
    Going to pick mine up after work. I hope it blows me away with awesomeness!

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Going to pick mine up after work. I hope it blows me away with awesomeness!
    Well from what I'm understanding about 50% of the people think it blows, & 50% think it's awesomeness...

Hope you enjoy it. I'm still waiting until #6 comes out to read any of them. Let us know your verdict.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Cranky Warrior Queen
    I am seriously liking this. They sound more like my Adam and Teela from 'Burial Of The Spear', than the Adam and Teela from the TV cartoons! I can't believe MOTU is really back!

NOVEL SERIES! NOVEL SERIES! NOVEL SERIES!
    Yes, luckypoo,..I am the famous Full Fallen Moon! Yes, 'Mountain Of Hyacles' should be required he-fan reading!

Chicago, Illinois (but my heart will always be in the UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post
    Well from what I'm understanding about 50% of the people think it blows, & 50% think it's awesomeness...

Hope you enjoy it. I'm still waiting until #6 comes out to read any of them. Let us know your verdict.
    *Sigh* Count me as being in the 50% that thinks it blows. I will continue to buy it because I support the property as a whole, but this incarnation of it is abhorrent in my opinion. Seriously, is there no one at DC who is capable of portraying women in a positive way?

• Teela: She can be witty and strong, but only if she's blonde and wearing as little as possible.
    • Sorceress: She is one of the most powerful people on Eternia, so it's apparently essential that she be bound and physically (and I'm guessing mentally) abused.
    • Evil-Lyn: She's so powerful that even Skeletor fears her, so that has to be tempered by making sure the audience knows that she's absolutely ****ing insane.

God forbid the readers of this trash see representations of femininity that are simply strong.
    MORE POP AND NEW ADVENTURES REPRESENTATION IN MOTUC PLEASE!

Dark Legacies
    MVC Comics - Collected Info About the Comics

Zoar28, Facebook

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Telkan2 View Post
    *Sigh* Count me as being in the 50% that thinks it blows. I will continue to buy it because I support the property as a whole, but this incarnation of it is abhorrent in my opinion. Seriously, is there no one at DC who is capable of portraying women in a positive way?

• Teela: She can be witty and strong, but only if she's blonde and wearing as little as possible.
    • Sorceress: She is one of the most powerful people on Eternia, so it's apparently essential that she be bound and physically (and I'm guessing mentally) abused.
    • Evil-Lyn: She's so powerful that even Skeletor fears her, so that has to be tempered by making sure the audience knows that she's absolutely ****ing insane.

God forbid the readers of this trash see representations of femininity that are simply strong.
    Despite her power level, the Sorceress almost always needs He-Man's help. Filmation, 1987 movie, MYP...she's like Void from WildC.A.T.S.

This isn't a "women thing". The male characters aren't "positive" either. The character who made out the best was Mer-Man. At least he actually defeated the heroes in his own element and thought that he killed them. This is the most kick-ass Mer-Man since Pre-Filmation!

• Skeletor: Whines about everyone being incompetent, but can't deal with Adam himself. Even when he tells his minions to forget the theatrics and kill Adam, they ignore him and go for theatrics. He also loses major points for fearing Spector and Evil-Lyn.
    • Beast Man: Got owned by Prince Adam. Not He-Man, but an amnesiac Adam.
    • Trap Jaw: Trap Jaw had Adam in his clutches, but instead of killing him immediately, he does a Bond Villain thing and has Adam fight for his life.
    • Man-At-Arms: Teela's undressed?! At least she shows alot of skin normally. Duncan is undressed! And he's usually covered from head to toe in armor. I guess that island is very humid. Not to mention there's no mention of any tech or improvements that he's made to the area while under Evil-Lyn's control.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I liked this one the best. The dialog all seemed to come from characters that are actually CHARACTERS. And Skeletor's increasing lack of satisfaction with owning Grayskull seems so fitting to his character!

I have to say that I do agree about DC and women in general though. I pretty much have to ignore how they treat the women in MOTU, and that in itself is telling about how they're part of "the problem".

I think there is a difference between doing something a bit new and different with a character to completely changing a character and to me the DC comics are doing the latter. What's the point in it being MOTU if it is just names that are used and the rest feels totally different?

DC is doing their OWN interpretation of MOTU, just like Filmation did in regards to the mini-comic canon, what MYP did in regards to Filmation's canon.

And besides, I ask again...what are we being consistent WITH? There are so many versions of these characters. Alcala mini-comics? Texiera Mini-comics? Bruce Timm mini-comics? Filmation? MYP? MVCreations? DC's 1982-83 group of MOTU? STAR comics? The UK comics? German Audio Plays? The Golden Books? The Read-Along Books? The 1987 movie? The MOTUC bios and mini-comics?

Heck Jon Chu will be working on yet another version of MOTU soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I bet it’s going to turn very ugly round here when details about the movie slowly begin to spill out. I mean, some people still insist these re-designs are radical in nature. I genuinely don't understand that stance.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    DC is doing their OWN interpretation of MOTU, just like Filmation did in regards to the mini-comic canon, what MYP did in regards to Filmation's canon.

And besides, I ask again...what are we being consistent WITH? There are so many versions of these characters. Alcala mini-comics? Texiera Mini-comics? Bruce Timm mini-comics? Filmation? MYP? MVCreations? DC's 1982-83 group of MOTU? STAR comics? The UK comics? German Audio Plays? The Golden Books? The Read-Along Books? The 1987 movie? The MOTUC bios and mini-comics?

I never found any of those other continuities to be unrecognizable. Well, maybe the movie lol. But as I said, to me the characters are the same in name only in the new comic. Maybe if I enjoyed the stories more it wouldn't bother me but as it is i'm finding it quite boring.

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by Clawful Ofit View Post

Ok I finally had time to read it through. My verdict is.....it was better. Seeing Man-At-Arms made it better, the art seemed good, but this story just still moves too slow, and the issue reads too fast. I wish I would have followed Clawful's lead and waited until issue 6 to read them all. The lag between issues and the very small amount of pages just kind of leave me feeling empty to the story. If it is deemed a success by DC and continues, we may be in for a real treat, but the buildup is just too slow for my tastes as I have stated earlier. I'm very happy we are getting these comics, as that means more mainstream attention, but I guess my selfishness in wanting the story moving has me biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Back in the UK comics (which were mostly terrible), there was one good story where EL's love philter backfires & not only does MAA fall in love with her, but she with him. (Yes, EL uses her sexuality - or the promise of it - to manipulate a man here - hah!)
    Do you know the number of the UK-comic with that story?
    I own most of them, but can't remember having read this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygonus View Post
    Do you know the number of the UK-comic with that story?
    I own most of them, but can't remember having read this story.
    No, but you can find the details on Busatoons blog.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

I really enjoyed this. The art was good but it was the dialogue that really made this issue. I'm really digging the writer's take on Teela. She's strong, intelligent and witty.
    Do you need to buy, sell or rent a home in Northern VA, then contact me at varealtor1@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    This story you referring to?
    I only remember that Duncan falls for Evil-Lyn due to her spell. But I can't remember that Evil-Lyn would have
    any feelings for him.

http://bustatoons.blogspot.se/2009/0...-evil-lyn.html

You're right. I confused this with my own fan-fic

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I never found any of those other continuities to be unrecognizable. Well, maybe the movie lol. But as I said, to me the characters are the same in name only in the new comic. Maybe if I enjoyed the stories more it wouldn't bother me but as it is i'm finding it quite boring.
    In my opinion... when a creative team starts on an established property they have the choice of either 'reimagining' how the character LOOKS... OR how they ACT.

90% of the writers have chosen to update the character personalites and attitudes.. hence the alcala, filmation, star, etc. etc. are all recognizable as "MOTU".

From the little I've seen so far, it looks like they are unrecognizable in both looks AND deed... Therefore VERY little that makes this 'MOTU' and not 'Generic Fantasy story #3'

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I totally agree. The story moves too slow.

And with He-Man on virtually EVERY cover, it's like Dave Wilkins is saying to the writers, "COME ON GUYS, LET'S GET ON WITH THIS!" Lol.

I don't know about anyone else, but the fact that He-Man hasn't shown up yet is kind of disappointing.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Bigger build up, bigger reward when He-Man pops!. Am I right or am I right?

P.S. Ever watch a DBZ cartoon? I mean that was the king of all build ups and the reward (feeling of emotional satisfaction) was awesome, especially when Goku went Super Saiyan.
    Last edited by Dr. Smith; November 24, 2012 at 05:18pm.
    Have No Fear, Smith Is Here!

I thought the art was the same and while it may have been a bit better than the last issue, I still felt it suffered from the same flaws the comic has suffered from the start. It's just plodding along and yet again, very little progress is made. By the looks of it we will not see any He-man action until the last issue, which is just such a bizarre thing to do. Why relegate the hero to the final issue when you're trying to reintroduce him after nearly a decade out of comics and other media?

Also, I couldn't help but think when I saw the first page posted in this thread that Teela would just look so much better as a red head (yep, I'm still having trouble with that lol). Almost makes me wish someone would go through every panel with Teela in the comic and re-colour her. lol

And another thing. Is it just me or has Teela been wearing the fur bikini for the entire comic or is it just me? Don't get me wrong, BG Teela is a great concept, but can't we have something better for her the main comic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Smith View Post
    Bigger build up, bigger reward when He-Man pops!. Am I right or am I right?
    Yeah, but we're 4 comics in with 2 or 3 left to go. Adam is a side character. The alter-ego. Not a mainstay. If they leave He-Man till the last comic, I for one am NOT going to be happy.

It's like having Clark Kent be the main character throughout a Superman comic. BBBBOOOORRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG. Yawn. If THIS comic were Superman, fans would riot.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Quote Originally Posted by TJRules View Post
    Yeah, but we're 4 comics in with 2 or 3 left to go. Adam is a side character. The alter-ego. Not a mainstay. If they leave He-Man till the last comic, I for one am NOT going to be happy.

It's like having Clark Kent be the main character throughout a Superman comic. BBBBOOOORRRRRIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG. Yawn. If THIS comic were Superman, fans would riot.
    I disagree. While I think the new comic has went overboard with its mis-aimed giving Adam the spotlight, you also can't forget that Adam is the true identity and that He-man is a disguise (much like Clark Kent/Superman, but that one is more debatable depending on who you ask). Both are separate characters for the sake of story telling, both have their own unique qualities, but you still have to recognise they're one and the same and write the story accordingly. It can't always be 'He-man bash', you do have to develop Adam alongside He-man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I disagree. While I think the new comic has went overboard with its mis-aimed giving Adam the spotlight, you also can't forget that Adam is the true identity and that He-man is a disguise (much like Clark Kent/Superman, but that one is more debatable depending on who you ask). Both are separate characters for the sake of story telling, both have their own unique qualities, but you still have to recognise they're one and the same and write the story accordingly. It can't always be 'He-man bash', you do have to develop Adam alongside He-man.
    Pretty much this.

He-Man is only Adam's powered up guise. The man himself is Adam.