Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Talkback - DC Comics #4 He-Man and MOTU *SPOILERS*

Entertaining, but I wish I could have illustrated it.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    These comics make such a great case for Teela being a redhead. Too much blond here combined with yellow sky, beach sand, and tan clothes. Kind of funny how Adam is being turned into He-Man by losing clothes one issue at a time. Gotta wonder how much less covered they will let Teela get.
    Even MAA is undressed and he's covered from head to toe...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    There's no tension & it comes across as quite silly & dull. (To me.) Plus, Teela's crossbow wound would have put her to the ground, puking & screaming. Why not a realistic nick or a warning shot? Again - silly.
    Well like MGM said, it's a badass warrior woman kind of thing. But she does all her punching with her right hand after that, if that makes you feel any better
    I've seen plenty of movies where guys take an arrow right there, I'd guess that's what the writer took his cue from.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Gotta wonder how much less covered they will let Teela get.
    Next issue: Teela jumps in the flames to save Adam, having most of her bikini burned off. Adam's clothes will be intact, though.

My prediction is Stratos will swoop down out of nowhere and save Adam next issue. And I wonder when we'll see Battle Cat? I wonder if Skeletor has him chained up as a guard animal or something around Grayskull...

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    More uninspired, poorly-conceived, sloppily-rendered pap.

Bad bad bad...

The redesigns for the sake of redesigns continue to come nowhere near impressing or satisfying. The characterizations of the villains continue to be so far off that I wonder if the "writer" has ever spent a single moment in the MOTU Universe prior to being handed license to write this...stuff.

It just goes to show the fact to which we are becoming more and more acutely aware:

MOTU is just not a big enough fish to merit any talent or care. They'll continue to produce garbage because people like me are stupid enough to continue buying it.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Snappy Threader
    I haven't picked up my issue yet, but from what i see here, it looks to be the best yet...and not just because Teela is losing her clothes. But it doesn't hurt. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    And I wonder when we'll see Battle Cat? I wonder if Skeletor has him chained up as a guard animal or something around Grayskull...
    That should be in issue 5, if we trust the cover-teasers:

But back to issue 4. Can't hardly wait to get my copy.
    But could someone tell me: Does Hordak look different than in the Skeletor-comic?
    Didn't like Hordaks look there.

Thanks! I never saw that before.
    As for Hordak: It's the skull of power from the first digital issue (I think). Just a head. Looks more like Hordak than the Skeletor issue.

Squirrel that can type Lewd_Squirrel's Avatar
    ok, honestly, I haven't read the issues yet, just skimmed them, but my opinion on the entire series is this, the story seems good, from what I skimmed, & the art itself is great, but I don't like some of the renditions of the characters in the book.
    Does Galactus fart?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    The redesigns for the sake of redesigns continue to come nowhere near impressing or satisfying.
    I'll admit this is something that I hate as a rule myself.

The characterizations of the villains continue to be so far off that I wonder if the "writer" has ever spent a single moment in the MOTU Universe prior to being handed license to write this...stuff.
    This however is a questionable arguement. The villains have had so many different personalities and characterizations from Minis, to DC, to Filmation, to MYP, and now Classics.... that saying a character is 'far off' is hard to legitimize.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This however is a questionable arguement. The villains have had so many different personalities and characterizations from Minis, to DC, to Filmation, to MYP, and now Classics.... that saying a character is 'far off' is hard to legitimize.
    Great point. These are the DC comics versions of the characters, yet another version of the MOTU characters.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

So Evil Lyn has gone punch–drunk insane with power? Maybe it's from all the redesigning these DC artists seemed to need to do to her…
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

As for Hordak: It's the skull of power from the first digital issue (I think). Just a head. Looks more like Hordak than the Skeletor issue.
    You're welcome!
    Ah, okay. The skull. The skull in the Laser-Lot issue looks indeed similar to Hordak. Was my first thought when I read it.
    The Hordak in the Skeletor issue is too far away from any Hordak design I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Great point. These are the DC comics versions of the characters, yet another version of the MOTU characters.
    That's a good point. The new DC-comics create a whole new MotU-world. With new designs, maybe new characteristics and of course new stories.
    I wonder why fans don't accept new things in the MotU cosmos?! As a child I had the early and the later minicomics, I had the german Inerpart comics, I had the german audio plays and I had, later, the cartoon series.
    I realized the differences, but I didn't bother me. Never complained about that.
    When 200X came, a lot of things were new. But the figures, cartoon and comics, although they were all new, attracted a lot of fans.
    Little was complained about the 16-year old prince, the Faceless One or Keldor.

When are we going to see some of the male characters with exposed buttocks?

The art is getting better and the story so far is good, but issue #4 and no He Man yet? If this book would get axed after six issues and no He Man what a shame. Feels like being on the Jurassic Park ride with no dinosaurs in sight!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    When they rename the book...Magic Adam!

In that it appeared more Horde Prime-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygonus View Post
    I realized the differences, but I didn't bother me. Never complained about that.
    Because you were a kid. And even most kids did not accept when MotU was turned into NA.

When 200X came, a lot of things were new. But the figures, cartoon and comics, although they were all new, attracted a lot of fans. Little was complained about the 16-year old prince, the Faceless One or Keldor.
    Because those things worked and enriched both formerly hardly-explored characters and the world of Eternia itself. Not to forget the fact that Adam's age was based on the original Filmation series bible. And Keldor WAS heavily disputed among fans, but many accepted him due to how well he was used in the cartoon and comics.
    During the 200X era, we did have stuff which many fans rejected. He-Man's techno sword wasn't received well at all. Fisto rewritten into being Duncan's brother was met with much criticism, and the plans to reveal him as Teela's father caused huge fan outcries, resulting in that idea being one of the few 200X plans that were not used for the new bios. Introducing King Grayskull instead of He-Ro was the cause for much debate, as was his portrayal as "Über-He-Man" and origin of the power of Grayskull. Many fans of the Filmation shows complained about Clawful being turned into an idiot for the MYP show, the Sorceress being too stern compared to her motherly Filmation portrayal, Tri-Klops being the tech guy instead of Trap Jaw, and so on.

The huge difference between the 200X era and now is that back then, fans didn't have anything new for nearly ten years, 12 if you don't count NA. Many characters got their first-ever origins. And I dare say that a lot of criticism was evened by exciting stories which many fans felt did successfully carry a "MotU feel". Not to mention how well the MV Creations comics did at that.
    Nowadays though, we get a comic series where criticism often is based on how DC doesn't manage to give their stories that "MotU feel", but instead change things just for the sake of changing things.

Personally, I start to wonder what the target audience is.
    We, the hardcore Masters fans? Then why change something that worked well for the fanbase?
    Or the generic comic book reader who hardly remembers He-Man? Then why call the series "He-Man" despite him not showing up by issue 4 yet, and do stories such as "The Origin of Skeletor" which didn't even tell readers why his face was melting away? I think those are valid questions.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Here, here!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Polygonus View Post
    That should be in issue 5, if we trust the cover-teasers:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/w18dol.jpg
    Before BCat delivers the killing blow to Adam (not He-Man), he will remember who he is by recognising his smell & remembering when Adam pulled the thorn out of his paw / dragged him out of the tar-swamp / whatever.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

MOTU is just not a big enough fish to merit any talent or care. They'll continue to produce garbage because people like me are stupid enough to continue buying it.
    That's how I'm feeling too.

I really enjoyed the Skeletor 1-shot, but I've hated the main series. Its unfortunate that a really bad comic is filled with characters that I care about.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'll admit this is something that I hate as a rule myself.

Skeletor kowtowing to Evil-Lyn...out of character.
    ANY of the brutes waxing poetic like a Shakespeare character...out of character.
    Skeletor not just BLASTING someone to keep them in line..."She could rival me...". Please.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    So Evil Lyn has gone punch–drunk insane with power? Maybe it's from all the redesigning these DC artists seemed to need to do to her…

Dress her as a poor man's Maleficent and she'll act that way. Maybe they're borrowing from the classic "Bugs' Bonnets" episode?

Badly?
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I liked this issue more than the others. I like how MAA is pretty much an animal, the guy was HUGE in this issue. I like how he wasn't scared of Evil-Lyn even though she could squash him. DC is doing their own thing with the property and I hope they get to flesh out more as they keep making issues. A monthly would be excellent!

I think things are moving way too slow with this series... The art is cool and all, but the story is taking too many panels to build on this Adam character... So far I'm neither entertained or impressed!
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Before BCat delivers the killing blow to Adam (not He-Man), he will remember who he is by recognising his smell & remembering when Adam pulled the thorn out of his paw / dragged him out of the tar-swamp / whatever.
    I doubt if the DC-guys even know the story about the tar-swamp. But maybe you're right, that would be definetely a possible story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Because you were a kid. And even most kids did not accept when MotU was turned into NA.

Because those things worked and enriched both formerly hardly-explored characters and the world of Eternia itself. Not to forget the fact that Adam's age was based on the original Filmation series bible. And Keldor WAS heavily disputed among fans, but many accepted him due to how well he was used in the cartoon and comics.
    During the 200X era, we did have stuff which many fans rejected. He-Man's techno sword wasn't received well at all. Fisto rewritten into being Duncan's brother was met with much criticism, and the plans to reveal him as Teela's father caused huge fan outcries, resulting in that idea being one of the few 200X plans that were not used for the new bios. Introducing King Grayskull instead of He-Ro was the cause for much debate, as was his portrayal as "Über-He-Man" and origin of the power of Grayskull. Many fans of the Filmation shows complained about Clawful being turned into an idiot for the MYP show, the Sorceress being too stern compared to her motherly Filmation portrayal, Tri-Klops being the tech guy instead of Trap Jaw, and so on.

The huge difference between the 200X era and now is that back then, fans didn't have anything new for nearly ten years, 12 if you don't count NA. Many characters got their first-ever origins. And I dare say that a lot of criticism was evened by exciting stories which many fans felt did successfully carry a "MotU feel". Not to mention how well the MV Creations comics did at that.
    Nowadays though, we get a comic series where criticism often is based on how DC doesn't manage to give their stories that "MotU feel", but instead change things just for the sake of changing things.

Personally, I start to wonder what the target audience is.
    We, the hardcore Masters fans? Then why change something that worked well for the fanbase?
    Or the generic comic book reader who hardly remembers He-Man? Then why call the series "He-Man" despite him not showing up by issue 4 yet, and do stories such as "The Origin of Skeletor" which didn't even tell readers why his face was melting away? I think those are valid questions.
    Good points here.
    Maybe my view of things about the 200X-comics and cartoon are more my personal sight, than the view of the fanbase.
    Was enjoying the comics and cartoon for my own, befor getting so active in forum and got in contact with other fans.

The point, that the fans were having no new MotU-stories for quite a long time between the end of Vintage and the beginning of 200X is a good one. But you mustn't forget the end of the MVP-cartoon and the 200X-comics is about 10 years in the past too.
    We had to wait long again for new stuff to come!

Not showing He-Man in the new DC-series makes sense. He has been ripped by his knowledge and of his secret identity. We readers follow the story and we think "When will he finally become He-Man?" and when he finally does, it will kick a$$! I hope so...

I am LOVING this story now! I was skeptical at first like most people but the last two issues have completely turned my opinion around!

First thing that did it was Mer-Man! I love his banter, his attitude, his look (except the weird tail of course)

Then this new issue with Adam and teelas banter. The introduction of MAA and the knowledge that Skeletor has made him Evil-lyns right hand man and servent! So brilliant.

I can't wait for the next 2 issues and the story arc of the issues to follow number 6!

Dave Wilkins Covers are also beautiful new motu art!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

The redesigns for the sake of redesigns continue to come nowhere near impressing or satisfying. The characterizations of the villains continue to be so far off that I wonder if the "writer" has ever spent a single moment in the MOTU Universe prior to being handed license to write this...stuff.
    Yeah, it's rather clear that the people writing this have been lead astray...

Evil-Lyn is NOT "crazy" or "mad." That's why she's so dangerous. She certainly has a personality disorder, but the Evil-Lyn in this DC "world" is so unlike the character that has been developed for the last 30 years, that there is something severely lacking here. It's just not fun... She's not complex AT ALL... and that is what has always made her so cool.

Skeletor kowtowing to Evil-Lyn...out of character.
    ANY of the brutes waxing poetic like a Shakespeare character...out of character.
    Skeletor not just BLASTING someone to keep them in line..."She could rival me...". Please.
    Yeah, that WAS weird...

It was a stupid way of not using their personal relationship as a reaon he engages her at all... I mean, she's clearly very powerful, and has the potential to rival him, but her personality flaws always end up ruining her efforts... in this comic, we don't see that developed at all.. instead, we have Skeletor telling his therapist, who may or may not be Hordak or Horde Prime or someone else, that she's dangerous...

in a way, that's kind of cool... Skeletor knows that Lyn has the potential to be, perhaps, more powerful than he... but he would never TELL her that, or help cultivate her power, because he must always be supreme...

but then, she's not the same Lyn we know... not the time-line displaced heir to throne of Zalesia... not the rightful queen of Eternia... she's just some crazy lady who uses sex to get some random Eternian guard to steal a gem, and then retires to an island, with a strange Avion/Mysticor palace, and becomes obsessed with a volcano.

Hmm... Ok...

LAME.

I did enjoy the Adam/Teela banter...

LOVED that Zoar dropped the coconut on Teela's head... hilarious mother scolding there LOL.

THAT was clever. Whether it was meant to be clever, or it was a simple happy accident, I am not sure.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.