Thread: Computer Tech Help Please

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

Computer Tech Help Please

Hi computer experts, I have a technical question, and wondered if anyone here may have any answers.

I have a lot of homemade DVDs that I have made myself for a personal project recently. I also made "data back-up discs" of these recordings, in case anything ever happened to the recordings I made (data files of the recordings which fit many onto one disc as data, which you can then re-burn onto separate DVDs). However, somehow, which I cannot explain, I cannot find these back-up data discs ANYWHERE. It has been driving me crazy too, because it was a stack of about 13 or so DVDs and I cannot fathom how on Earth they have disappeared. Even while spring cleaning and reorganizing, I have found nothing, and I have combed all over my apartment.

Now, I've noticed when I put a homemade DVD into my computer, it doesn't just have the recording itself as one simple movie file. It has several different files, which I'm not experienced with, that I guess "fit together" to make the source disc (same as with the discs from question # 1 here as well), but what I was hoping was that I could pop in each disc, copy the recording to my hard drive, and re-make data discs by bundling up the recordings on 13 discs again as data files for back-ups. But the files that are "watchable" are 2 files that are about 30 minutes each, and 2 that are about 26 hours each (??) which I know is not possible; and those 2 files, when I click to play them, don't show anything.

Any advice on how to make data files from discs that you've already burned?
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

screenshots please!

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Hi computer experts, I have a technical question, and wondered if anyone here may have any answers.

I have a lot of homemade DVDs that I have made myself for a personal project recently. I also made "data back-up discs" of these recordings, in case anything ever happened to the recordings I made (data files of the recordings which fit many onto one disc as data, which you can then re-burn onto separate DVDs). However, somehow, which I cannot explain, I cannot find these back-up data discs ANYWHERE. It has been driving me crazy too, because it was a stack of about 13 or so DVDs and I cannot fathom how on Earth they have disappeared. Even while spring cleaning and reorganizing, I have found nothing, and I have combed all over my apartment.

Now, I've noticed when I put a homemade DVD into my computer, it doesn't just have the recording itself as one simple movie file. It has several different files, which I'm not experienced with, that I guess "fit together" to make the source disc (same as with the discs from question # 1 here as well), but what I was hoping was that I could pop in each disc, copy the recording to my hard drive, and re-make data discs by bundling up the recordings on 13 discs again as data files for back-ups. But the files that are "watchable" are 2 files that are about 30 minutes each, and 2 that are about 26 hours each (??) which I know is not possible; and those 2 files, when I click to play them, don't show anything.

Any advice on how to make data files from discs that you've already burned?
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.