Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Rowdy Roddy Piper

Heroic Warrior

R.I.P. Rowdy Roddy Piper

Rest in Peace Hot Rod

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-tu...224152886.html

Loved wrestling when I was a kid, and he was one of my favorites. Loved his movies too. Horrible news.
    Last edited by RadicalThrasher; August 1, 2015 at 12:13am.

Oh man.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Power-Con returns in 2016! Hope to see you there!

Rest In Peace, Rowdy Roddy Piper.

He was always one of my favorites as a kid, a true legend in his field.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Master of New Adventures!
    Oh no! I'm so sad to hear this!

I know he'd been ill for a long time. I first met Roddy when I was a staff writer at DIC and we were producing Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling -- an animated series featuring wrestlers that included Hulk, Mr. Fuji, the Iron Sheik, JYD and, of course, Roddy. We shot brief live action wraparounds with the wrestlers for the show. We were shooting him with Mean Gene Okerlund interviewing him just before a match. From out of nowhere, Roddy pulled out a scissors and cut off Gene's tie. Gene looked at him with that wonderful deadpan expression of his and said, "Roddy, you're not a nice man." The second after we called cut they fell into each other's arms laughing.

Roddy was a great guy and a pretty good actor. I hope he's putting on matches and entertaining fans on another plain of existence. R.I.P.

Damn! another legend gone far too soon...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Dayum! Good way too soon!

Rest in Peace, Piper!

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

R.I.P Rowdy Roddy Piper

I just read my local news about his passing today at age 61. Man, talk about one of the greats, heal or face, I was always excited to watch him. Good journey sir, we will miss you.

Never expected this. I wasn't a big fan of his, but he was a great entertainer. RIP Roddy Piper, and may you never have to play the "heel" in the afterlife.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"That which does not kill me... had better start running"
    - Source unknown

One of the greatest heels of all time!!

RIP.
    Transparently Yours,

Bonehead

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    First Dream, now Hot Rod.

2015 can seriously go to hell.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Rowdy Roddy Piper, loved him dearly. One of the best, and truly an original. So many wonderful memories.

I've come here to pay my respects to The Piper and chew gum. And I'm all out of gum!

I've always hated Wrestling, even as a kid-but I still watched it for one reason, Piper's Pit! God Bless him.

Oh, wow! Didn't expect that one. Looked 'em up and he was only 61! That sucks, man. He was one of the wrestlers I remembered best, from back when I paid attention. Then, of course, They Live. Sounded like he was a pretty awesome guy. Sad to hear it, but I hope he felt like he got what he wanted out of life. That's all you can hope for.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

No Red Beast, We Riot! Whiplash7's Avatar
    I came home from work to this news and was really shocked and bummed out. A true wrestling legend, larger than life. Probably the best personality the WWF ever had.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Are there many legends left from 80's wrestling? I didn't expect to see so much sad news from wrestling this week. I don't watch any more, but loved the start of Wrestlemania time period. (with the Hulk news this week too - although he had already hit rock bottom awhile back - now he has lost it all)

Edit: Thanks Jack Olesker for sharing the story. I laughed out loud reading it.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Damn, he always seemed to be a better talker than a wrestler, They Live is an amazing film though, even Hell Comes To Frogtown wasn't that bad.

Very shocked when I read this news last night.
    Truly one of the greats among the legends!
    His match against Bret Hart at Wrestlemania 8 has always been one of my favourites.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I know he'd been ill for a long time. I first met Roddy when I was a staff writer at DIC and we were producing Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling -- an animated series featuring wrestlers that included Hulk, Mr. Fuji, the Iron Sheik, JYD and, of course, Roddy. We shot brief live action wraparounds with the wrestlers for the show. We were shooting him with Mean Gene Okerlund interviewing him just before a match. From out of nowhere, Roddy pulled out a scissors and cut off Gene's tie. Gene looked at him with that wonderful deadpan expression of his and said, "Roddy, you're not a nice man." The second after we called cut they fell into each other's arms laughing.

Roddy was a great guy and a pretty good actor. I hope he's putting on matches and entertaining fans on another plain of existence. R.I.P.

I met him at a signing at TRU back in '86 when the WWF was in town for a Superstars taping. He was signing autographs with Jake Roberts, who has just started with WWF, and Orndorff. When I got up to the table, Paul Orndorff asked a kid about 10 feet in front of me who his favorite wrestler was. The kid responded with "Hulk Hogan." Piper stopped mid-autograph and asked the kid to repeat what he said. The kid said it again and Piper got so angry he flipped over the table and stormed off. He never came back.

20 years later I met him and asked if he remembered doing that. He said yes cause he did it at every signing. He said it was the easiest way to get "heat" from young fans in every town. The kid was usually a plant and most of the time was one of the other wrestler's kids.
    Transparently Yours,

Bonehead

I was stunned to read this last night. Loved his performance in the 1992 Royal Rumble, first by winning the Intercontinental Championship, and then going "bananas" (to quote Gorilla Monsoon) on Ric Flair in the middle of the Rumble match. He was a real legend.

"They Live" one of the best fight scenes ever filmed.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I met him at a signing at TRU back in '86 when the WWF was in town for a Superstars taping. He was signing autographs with Jake Roberts, who has just started with WWF, and Orndorff. When I got up to the table, Paul Orndorff asked a kid about 10 feet in front of me who his favorite wrestler was. The kid responded with "Hulk Hogan." Piper stopped mid-autograph and asked the kid to repeat what he said. The kid said it again and Piper got so angry he flipped over the table and stormed off. He never came back.

20 years later I met him and asked if he remembered doing that. He said yes cause he did it at every signing. He said it was the easiest way to get "heat" from young fans in every town. The kid was usually a plant and most of the time was one of the other wrestler's kids.
    Another great story. That is awesome!
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post

That is a great story mate, thanks for sharing it
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    "They Live" one of the best fight scenes ever filmed.
    They Live is such a great flick, one of my favorites. Hell comes to Frogtown is pretty good too. Hot Rod will definitely be missed.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Thanks, Bonehead. Fantastic story.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats