Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 56

Thread: 25 yrs since Transformers ended

  1. #26
    Heroic Warrior Dr Kain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Posts
    5,230
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Kal View Post
    I still enjoy them all TF and Gi Joe. Yeah, some stories are hokey,but I still like them
    For me, I can really name the episodes off the top of my head that I like:

    Web World
    The Burden Hardest to Bear
    The Face of Nijika
    Call of the Primitives
    The Key to Vector Sigma
    War Dawn
    Masquerade
    SOS Dinobots
    Starscream's Brigade
    Heavy Metal War

    There's No Place Like Springfield
    World's Without End
    Cobrathon
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

    Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

  2. #27
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    Can anyone answer a few questions I have about Transformers?

    Why is Bumble Bee no longer a VW bug?

    Which of the vintage figures came with little human figures?

    Why does Megatron shrink when he turns into a gun?
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  3. #28
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Can anyone answer a few questions I have about Transformers?
    Sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Why is Bumble Bee no longer a VW bug?
    Updating for modern times to make his vehicle mode more relevant to newer audiences.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Which of the vintage figures came with little human figures?
    None of the vintage G1 Transformers really came with "human" figures. There are however Targetmasters, Headmasters and Powermasters that came with mini-robot figures (that were written as being human before being changed in Transformers) that became guns, heads and engines for their Transformer partners, respectively.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Why does Megatron shrink when he turns into a gun?
    Story-wise, it has something to do with collapsible spaces inside his body, a modification made by Teletran One in the first episode when putting the Autobots and Decepticons back together again in order to better adapt to their new Earth surroundings. That's why Shockwave never shrank when he tranformed. He was never modified by Teletran One.

    But also it was a device in the cartoon that enabled more dynamic action sequences with various Decepticons (and sometimes Autobots) to hold and fire Megatron.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  4. #29
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Updating for modern times to make his vehicle mode more relevant to newer audiences.

    This I don't get. VW still makes bugs. I saw a yellow one sitting in a parking light just this evening.


    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    None of the vintage G1 Transformers really came with "human" figures. There are however Targetmasters, Headmasters and Powermasters that came with mini-robot figures (that were written as being human before being changed in Transformers) that became guns, heads and engines for their Transformer partners, respectively.

    Didn't Optimus come with a little Spike figure?


    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    But also it was a device in the cartoon that enabled more dynamic action sequences with various Decepticons (and sometimes Autobots) to hold and fire Megatron.

    The idea was good, but he transformed into a little laser pistol - instead of bigass canon-type weapon
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  5. #30
    Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Can anyone answer a few questions I have about Transformers?

    Why is Bumble Bee no longer a VW bug?
    From what I've been told (and read) it's because Volkswagen doesn't want to their brand identified with what they consider "war toys". This resistance to licensing the VW Beetle's likeness might be due to the creation and production of the original Volkswagen (IE People's Car) via a state sponsored program by Hitler and the National Socialists back in the 1930s.

  6. #31
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    From what I've been told (and read) it's because Volkswagen doesn't want to their brand identified with what they consider "war toys". This resistance to licensing the VW Beetle's likeness might be due to the creation and production of the original Volkswagen (IE People's Car) via a state sponsored program by Hitler and the National Socialists back in the 1930s.

    That's interesting. But the car they picked as a replacement is horrible. They should of just retired the character, IMO.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  7. #32
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Didn't Optimus come with a little Spike figure?
    Not the G1 Vintage figure. Some of the newer Masterpiece Optimus Prime releases come with a little Spike figure. G1 Fortress Maximus comes with a Headmaster Spike robot figure who becomes the head of Cerebros who in turn becomes the head of Fortress Maximus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    The idea was good, but he transformed into a little laser pistol - instead of bigass canon-type weapon
    Well, he was an in-scale gun with Transformers so by human standards he was huge. The big ass cannon was Galvatron who was a rebuilt Megatron.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  8. #33
    Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    763
    Yeah, the new Camaro just doesn't quite fit the character of Bumblebee. There are other smaller cars that could be good options for Bumblebee's vehicle mode, but I guess GM's dollars for the first movie carried more weight for Hasbro.

  9. #34
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Not the G1 Vintage figure. Some of the newer Masterpiece Optimus Prime releases come with a little Spike figure. G1 Fortress Maximus comes with a Headmaster Spike robot figure who becomes the head of Cerebros who in turn becomes the head of Fortress Maximus.



    Well, he was an in-scale gun with Transformers so by human standards he was huge. The big ass cannon was Galvatron who was a rebuilt Megatron.

    I am just started to buy all the episodes right now, so I'm sure I will have more questions soon.
    I'm actually wondering who that white jet was that was frozen in ice. They never said how he got frozen
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  10. #35
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I am just started to buy all the episodes right now, so I'm sure I will have more questions soon.
    I'm actually wondering who that white jet was that was frozen in ice. They never said how he got frozen
    That is Jetfire (Skyfire sometimes). They will say how he got frozen in the cartoon (crashing in the ice and being buried...twice).
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  11. #36
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    These episodes have been pretty enjoyable thus far, but some of these autobot voices are not acceptable. One of the guys sounds like Shaggy
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  12. #37
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    These episodes have been pretty enjoyable thus far, but some of these autobot voices are not acceptable. One of the guys sounds like Shaggy
    Well that's because Casey Kasem, who voiced Shaggy, also did the voice of Bluestreak on the Transformers cartoon.

    And I also find most (75%) of the G1 Transformers cartoons to be enjoyable to this day. Of course there are some duds (Season 3's Carnage in C-Minor being the worst in my opinion) but overall a great animation series.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  13. #38
    Pffft!!! mkpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Story-wise, it has something to do with collapsible spaces inside his body, a modification made by Teletran One in the first episode when putting the Autobots and Decepticons back together again in order to better adapt to their new Earth surroundings. That's why Shockwave never shrank when he tranformed. He was never modified by Teletran One.

    But also it was a device in the cartoon that enabled more dynamic action sequences with various Decepticons (and sometimes Autobots) to hold and fire Megatron.
    And because it was a cartoon...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    From what I've been told (and read) it's because Volkswagen doesn't want to their brand identified with what they consider "war toys". This resistance to licensing the VW Beetle's likeness might be due to the creation and production of the original Volkswagen (IE People's Car) via a state sponsored program by Hitler and the National Socialists back in the 1930s.
    But they were fine with it being in toy form all these years? I read that somewhere too and I didn't think it made any sense.
    My post count just got bigger.

  14. #39
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Well that's because Casey Kasem, who voiced Shaggy, also did the voice of Bluestreak on the Transformers cartoon.

    And I also find most (75%) of the G1 Transformers cartoons to be enjoyable to this day. Of course there are some duds (Season 3's Carnage in C-Minor being the worst in my opinion) but overall a great animation series.

    Please tell me they didn't use Spider-man's voice for Bumble Bee
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  15. #40
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Please tell me they didn't use Spider-man's voice for Bumble Bee
    Yup, that's Peter Parker doing the voice of Bumblebee. And I'm sure you'll recognize Scatman Crothers (Hong Kong Phoeey) as the voice of Jazz.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  16. #41
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Yup, that's Peter Parker doing the voice of Bumblebee. And I'm sure you'll recognize Scatman Crothers (Hong Kong Phoeey) as the voice of Jazz.

    Nah, I haven't seen Honk Kong Phoeey since I was a kid. But one of the guys does sound like x-men Gambit.

    This cartoon is kind of strange in a way. The Autobots are basically small and wimpy, lose every battle, but then still end up winning anyway. You would think Prime would be taking up slack for them, but he doesn't really. He's too busy giving orders, I guess.

    And some guys seem to be able to fly when not in vehicle mode - although I haven't seen any Autobots do it except for the intro.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  17. #42
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    This cartoon is kind of strange in a way. The Autobots are basically small and wimpy, lose every battle, but then still end up winning anyway.
    Well, it's a kids cartoon. The good guys are always winning. You know...to show the children that good will always triumph. I guess you could rationalize that the Autobots made up for their weaker powers with intelligence (most of the Autobots are scientists, engineers and mechanics) and with greater numbers (they outnumber the Decepticons about 2 to 1). Plus they also have a greater understanding of Earth and acceptance of its inhabitants due to their alliance with (Spike, Sparkplug, Chip and Carly) than the Decepticons do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    You would think Prime would be taking up slack for them, but he doesn't really. He's too busy giving orders, I guess.
    Leaders give orders and the Autobots follow Prime's orders without question (except for the Dinobots) because they hold him in high esteem for his past sacrifices (you'll see that in the second season of the Transformers).

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    And some guys seem to be able to fly when not in vehicle mode - although I haven't seen any Autobots do it except for the intro.
    Yeah, that was a problem that mainly only occurs in the first 3 episodes of season 1. I guess the writers were still figuring out the powers and abilities of the Autobots and Decepticons. So, that has the Autobots flying around.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  18. #43
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Leaders give orders and the Autobots follow Prime's orders without question (except for the Dinobots) because they hold him in high esteem for his past sacrifices (you'll see that in the second season of the Transformers).

    It just seems like they should have made prime a lot tougher. He rarely fights anyone other than Megatron.
    Now that I think about it, he seems to lose a lot of fights too, ie. getting knocked on his ass by Ravage.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  19. #44
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,507
    What's really scary is that that was two years before Megan Fox was born! Starting to feel a bit old y'all? Yeah? Well now you've got a small taste of what it's like to be me. Trust me...it gets worse.

  20. #45
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    What's really scary is that that was two years before Megan Fox was born! Starting to feel a bit old y'all? Yeah? Well now you've got a small taste of what it's like to be me. Trust me...it gets worse.


    I'm a gym rat in spectacular physical shape. So no, I don't look or feel old at all.
    But I'll catch up with you eventually.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  21. #46
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    It just seems like they should have made prime a lot tougher. He rarely fights anyone other than Megatron.
    Now that I think about it, he seems to lose a lot of fights too, ie. getting knocked on his ass by Ravage.
    Patience. You should get a taste of how "tough" Optimus is in War of the Dinobots (Season 1 Ep. 10) as he takes on the Dinobots and earns the respect of the rebellious Grimlock.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  22. #47
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Patience. You should get a taste of how "tough" Optimus is in War of the Dinobots (Season 1 Ep. 10) as he takes on the Dinobots and earns the respect of the rebellious Grimlock.
    He got beat up!

    I am up to Heavy Metal war. The only thing impressive he has done is when he slammed through a wall in truck mode and pounded Megatron. Other than that, not much. That's where I have to give credit to the movies. They did a much better job of portraying him as super tough.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  23. #48
    Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Posts
    9,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    He got beat up!
    Did he? Or did he allow himself to be taken in, not wanting to destroy his Dinobot subordinates by using his full strength and see who was truly behind the Dinobots revolt (Megatron). Then he regained Grimlock's respect and loyalty to the Autobot cause by saving grinlock and the other Dinobots from the exploding meteor. You know, the stuff a leader is supposed to do...look out for and save the lives of his soldiers. An important quality for a leader...more important than being tough. If you're a good guy that is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I am up to Heavy Metal war. The only thing impressive he has done is when he slammed through a wall in truck mode and pounded Megatron. Other than that, not much.
    Once again, patience. It's coming in the second season. First season is the introduction of the characters with a little background. Second season adds depth to alot of the characters.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    That's where I have to give credit to the movies. They did a much better job of portraying him as super tough.
    I'm trying to forget the live action movies. Super tough? I don't know...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

    "It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

    Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

  24. #49
    plastic vice Phil.Pastel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Once again, patience. It's coming in the second season. First season is the introduction of the characters with a little background. Second season adds depth to alot of the characters.
    I'm waiting for the first half of season two in the mail
    I need to order the second half.


    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I'm trying to forget the live action movies. Super tough? I don't know...

    I've actually only seen the last one. I need to order the first two. There's no real rush on that though, I doubt that they were all that.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

  25. #50
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    5,507
    I hope when you get to my sixty-three years old you can do the 4,000 crunches I do each of five days a week and work out with heavy iron on three. At my age, and with a 13, 10 and 4 year old that are my first three children, I'm like a shark -- I either swim or sink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    I'm a gym rat in spectacular physical shape. So no, I don't look or feel old at all.
    But I'll catch up with you eventually.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •