Thread: ? about the Australian MOTU/POP DVD sets

? about the Australian MOTU/POP DVD sets

Hey guys, I'm sorry to say I registered here specifically to ask this.

Long ago I used to own the BCI He-Man and She-Ra sets, but sold them in order to buy a tablet I needed for art projects. Now I want them back but the BCI projects are hard to find now, and anyway I'm afraid of getting used sets due to that I might land on one of the early releases that had a manufacturing error.

But then I noticed that the company Madman is selling complete sets of both He-Man and She-Ra (as well as New Adventures), and content-wise they seem like they're exactly the same as the BCI sets. But before I go spending $100 on imports I wanted to be sure.

So:

1. Are there any notable flaws I should know about regarding the Madman sets?

2. I remember the She-Ra episode "Assault on the Hive" glitching up near the end on BCI's sets. I was wondering if this still happens on Madman's DVDs or if its corrected?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

Long ago I used to own the BCI He-Man and She-Ra sets, but sold them in order to buy a tablet I needed for art projects. Now I want them back but the BCI projects are hard to find now, and anyway I'm afraid of getting used sets due to that I might land on one of the early releases that had a manufacturing error.

But then I noticed that the company Madman is selling complete sets of both He-Man and She-Ra (as well as New Adventures), and content-wise they seem like they're exactly the same as the BCI sets. But before I go spending $100 on imports I wanted to be sure.

So:

2. I remember the She-Ra episode "Assault on the Hive" glitching up near the end on BCI's sets. I was wondering if this still happens on Madman's DVDs or if its corrected?

Thanks in advance.
    1. Since you will be buying the Complete Season sets from Australia, no, you shouldn't worry about any defect.

2. I have no comment on the 2nd question since I dont know.

by the way the manufacturing error on the Season 1 Volume 1 set of the original cartoon was the way the digipack was produced. it made some disc easy to get scratched. (maybe im wrong, been so long)

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar

So:

Thanks in advance.

HI Mate, There is a great MOTU AU community in the .Org, and some of the guys in there should be able to answer your Questions-Particularly Oz Scott and Gimporama, follow this link and say hi! (its our main forum)

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...00406&page=166

cheers KA
    Drowning in a Sea of Plastic.

my sets are fine, I dont know about new adventures, as i dont own that, by all means drop by the aus thread, im sure most of the guys there can help u out with info to regarding them..

Thanks, I will do precisely that!

The following was added on November 3rd, 2010

OKAY!!!!

I hope you guys don't mind me bumping an old topic, because I have a good reason.

I now own Madman's "She-Ra Complete Collection" DVD set!!

It seemed to me like nobody around here knew much about this set, outside of that it exists. So I'm going to post this to supply more information for people like me who want to collect the series but don't want to wait for Classic Media's set nor hunt down BCI's releases.

First of all, NO - Madman's set does NOT feature the glitch during "Assault on the Hive." The episode is crystal clear the whole way through.

In fact, this may just be psychosomatic but it seems like the video (watching on my computer screen) is actually clearer than on BCI's release. I can't point to any specific differences I noticed though, so it may just be all in my head.

Second of all, YES there are some differences from the BCI sets. Most of them are inconsequential (or even good) differences, however. The differences I've noticed are:

* "More from Ink & Paint" on the Special Features is replaced with "More from Madman"
    * Madman's sets don't have those annoying transitional animations between menus--they jump right to the menus.
    * On the BCI set, if you select an episode from the episodes menu it jumps back to said menu when the episode is over. On Madman's set it plays the next episode.

Finally, a bit of a review:

To be honest I'm actually kind of glad I was forced to sell my BCI sets and replace them with Madman's. In addition to the afformentioned differences, BCI's packaging is overall better--The two seasons are housed in different, multi-disc plastic cases, the kind that you flip through like a book, and altogether the package takes up about as much space as one-and-a-half BCI sets would. For additional convenience, each case has a complete episode list on the back.

It also means I'm not waiting for Classic Media's set, which I can already tell you will be inferior to BCI's.

So, For the Honor of Grayskull! *Digs into more She-Ra*
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; November 3, 2010 at 06:23am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost, plus additional information

Thank you for the information Edmond!

Would you mind taking a few pictures of the set?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    In fact, this may just be psychosomatic but it seems like the video (watching on my computer screen) is actually clearer than on BCI's release. I can't point to any specific differences I noticed though, so it may just be all in my head.

Could be in your head. Though there may be some to it, that when Hallmark digitized the Filmation library, they converted it in PAL-form. Which is what R2 (Europe) and R4 (Australia) DVDs are sporting. Basically it's the format that gives best frame-rate output from what Hallmark left it.

US uses NTSC format, and needed to do slight altering to frame-rate (hence the voices being minutely higher in pitch).
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Could be in your head. Though there may be some to it, that when Hallmark digitized the Filmation library, they converted it in PAL-form. Which is what R2 (Europe) and R4 (Australia) DVDs are sporting. Basically it's the format that gives best frame-rate output from what Hallmark left it.

US uses NTSC format, and needed to do slight altering to frame-rate (hence the voices being minutely higher in pitch).
    This is what had me thinking from when these sets were announced and discussed here in the forums.

They (Hallmark) took the American NTSC masters, digitized them thus making it in PAL form and then deleted the original copies.

Then BCI took the converted PAL material and re-converted them to NTSC for the american market. Isn't it reasonable to assume that the video has lost SOME quality from back and forth (or should I say forth and back) NTSC-PAL-NTSC conversion?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    This is what had me thinking from when these sets were announced and discussed here in the forums.

They (Hallmark) took the American NTSC masters, digitized them thus making it in PAL form and then deleted the original copies.

Then BCI took the converted PAL material and re-converted them to NTSC for the american market. Isn't it reasonable to assume that the video has lost SOME quality from back and forth (or should I say forth and back) NTSC-PAL-NTSC conversion?

We need BCI Guy here or someone who knows more about the digitizing process.

Hallmark had some mastercopy from which they did their digitized PAL version. But I have no recollection of finding out, what format that mastercopy is. At one point I thought Hallmark had access to original film-print. And after digitizing the material, the original material was discarded.

I remember BCI did try and find some film material from Lou's own vaults, but unfortunately that material was in poor condition to use.

Here's those pictures you asked for, Demiscy! They're kinda low-quality but I hope they're servicable.

This is what to look for if you go eBay-scrounging.

That one box holds these two cases. Altogether they take up about as much space as one-and-a-quarter BCI set would.

Yeah, the front cover art isn't very original (also: no love for Season 1 Volume 1's box art eh?)

Neither is the disc label art (I dig the cases, though).

This, however, I do dig. No offense to BCI Guy or anybody but I never liked having to look in that little booklet to find the episode I wanted to watch. Having the episodes listed on the back of the case like this is tons more convenient.

All in all, I'm happy with this set, and have already placed an online order for Madman's He-Man set.
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; November 7, 2010 at 09:41pm.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    So, there are no booklets inside? No episode synopsis? No special trivia?

Yeah, the front cover art isn't very original (also: no love for Season 1 Volume 1's box art eh?)
    Why you say no love for cover-art?

The cover-image of She-Ra holding her sword, that is on the front of the whole package you bought? The same image used in BCI's POP S1V1 Cover-art...

I'm also curious... what were you expecting for the cover or disc-arts?
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I also think the episode titles are more convinient on the back of the dvd case.

I like the plastic cases. They are OK.

Disc art is also the same with BCI's so it's very nice to know they kept it for their sets! I may buy these sets at some point. Maybe christmas. For completion purposes only. Too bad Secret of the Sword and the Christmas Special are not included in these complete collections..

Jukka: You're right, that is the same cover-art! *facepalms* I was thrown 'cuz of the lack of pink. My bad.

The trivia is on the same place as on the BCI disks (the chapter menus).

@demiscy: I'm sure them not including those two isn't a big deal to someone who already has at least two copies each!

Update

More good news - I now have Madman's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Complete Collection as well!

Again, its two book-like cases in a big box. The big box uses a design similar to BCI S1 V1, but He-Man is in a different pose, its predominantly blue and the locations shown are Snake Mountain and Eternos. The two cases favor the art from the Season 2 sets, but again with different color choices.

Content-wise, like She-Ra it mostly mirrors the US releases. This time, the scene transitions ARE there, but they seem somehow to go by faster and--this may be because I'm watching it using a computer program and not on a DVD player--sometimes it skips them and goes right to the menus.

Overall, I am pretty pleased. Pleased enough, in fact, that I may complete my MOTU collection and grab Madman's The New Adventures of He-Man

Excellent!

Do you mind if I ask for pictures again ?

Okay, more pictures for you:

As I said I don't recognize this from the BCI sets, but I may be misremembering.

Again, there are two cases in that box. You might notice it looks like that corner is loose--that's because I got a second-hand set.

As i said, this seems to favor the Season 2 art.

Again, episode list on the back of the cases.

The disc art mirrors the BCI sets.

So far, I have had only one serious problem with this set: The S1V2 Disc 2 disc apparently had a manufacturing error that renders it unwatchable (it goes wonky halfway through "The Region of Ice"). This had me worried, but fortunately, the S1V1 and S2V1 portions work just fine (I'm testing S2V2 right now). I'm sure all I'll have to do is just grab the BCI S1V2 off Amazon or somewhere and I'll have a perfect collection. I'm going to note that I've never heard of anyone else having issues with this set, so I'm guessing I just had a one-off instance of bad luck.

So, right now, my He-Man DVD collection includes:

All the Filmation MOTU/POP episodes, movies and specials.

the live-action Masters of the Universe

and the complete 2002 series.

The only thing I need now is The New Adventures of He-Man. I'm not sure whether to collect it thru the Madman sets like I have been doing, or go the cheap route and get the BCI sets.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    The big box uses a design similar to BCI S1 V1, but He-Man is in a different pose, its predominantly blue and the locations shown are Snake Mountain and Eternos.

As I said I don't recognize this from the BCI sets, but I may be misremembering.
    The pose of He-Man is on the other side of S1V2 spine.
    You can see it here. Skeletor is the on the front, but on the side you can see He-Man.

Heroic Warrior
    The only thing I need now is The New Adventures of He-Man. I'm not sure whether to collect it thru the Madman sets like I have been doing, or go the cheap route and get the BCI sets.
    Get the BCI sets. Last I saw, the sets were really cheap on Amazon Marketplace.

So...how does one in the USA see these? Is there such a thing as a region-free player?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cayman shen View Post
    So...how does one in the USA see these? Is there such a thing as a region-free player?
    There are region-free DVD players. Some stores sell them, if you take some time to search.

Yeah, I bought my player specifically with an eye towards importing, since I'm an anime fan as well.

Hint: What to do is look for any that say they can do PAL-to-NTSC conversion (mine listed this right on the box). Logically, if they can do that then they can also play imports (you might need to know a secret code tho)

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    Get the BCI sets. Last I saw, the sets were really cheap on Amazon Marketplace.
    I WISH they were cheap on amazon. I am still looking for He-Man season 2 volume 1 and She-Ra season 2. I can't find them anywhere for less than 90 dollars or so. Really bugs me having those gaps in the mural. All the other volumes I got for about 15 bucks a piece.

I think vancak meant that The New Adventures of He-Man is cheap on Amazon.

Anyway, I'm bumping this topic because I've found out something not-good.

When I ordered by He-Man the Complete Collection set, one of the DVDs turned out to be bugged. The DVD in question was S1V2 Disk 2 and the bug is that it glitches up part way into "The Region of Ice" (at the scene where the dude is about to free Prince Adam from the ice). Depending on your player, either the scene will continually loop, or else the disc will just skip to the next chapter (meaning you miss about two seconds of footage).

I thought this was a one-off error, so I ordered an S1V2 set straight from Madman (my intent was to switch the disks out), but lo and behold, the exact same error exists on that set. So apparently its pretty common.

Currently I'm marathoning through S1V2 to see if there are any other significant defects. I'll keep you posted.
    Visit my blog!

Are the background transitions smooth on Australian release comparing to US version?
    I'm curious if UK and Australian PAL versions are superior? I own BCI She-ra, should I get PAL copies too?