Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow is a very strange character

Bow is a very strange character

Why didn't they make him more "manly"? Bow is a man, he doesn't need a heart symbol on his chest, no real man would wear that... trust me!

Just my 2 cents.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I think Bret "The Hitman" Hart or Shawn Michaels would disagree with you!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I actually think Bow is more representative of a real man than most of the other male characters on the She-Ra and He-Man shows. Bow has a variety of interests, cracks jokes (some of which just don't work), and is flawed but good-natured. All the other guys parade around stiffly with these stereotypical "macho man" voices and frankly seem interchangeable. Who cares if he'd got a heart on his chest? His best frenemy happens to be a talking owl thing with rainbow ears! Etheria's got diversity!

Snappy Threader
    Haha one of my best buds looks exactly like mustachioed Bow. I always tell him that he needs to be more manly too. haha.

I think Bow was quite manly even with the heart on his chest. He always stepped up for the fight against the Horde and always helped his friends. He may not have looked very manly, but he acted very manly indeed.

A heart and lipstic? It's not the only time that was done check out prince Drake from "Princess Gwenevere and the jewel riders" he wears mascara.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Oi...Jesus is depicted with a heart all the time but if He wanted to He could be the most powerful & destructive force in the cosmos. The emblem that Bow sports on his chest piece has nothing to do with his manliness, it has more to do with what he stands for which is also what the Rebellion at it's core also stands for..."love in it's purest form & freedom of spirit"! Well, that's just my 2 cents worth
    She-Ra Princess of Power clip art, animated gifs & panoramic screen caps at http://s615.photobucket.com/albums/t...%20Clip%20Art/
    My other artworks http://cosmicfalcon-70.deviantart.com/

Please elaborate as to what 'real men' do and what defines a 'real man'. I'm curious as to know your definition of the ideal masculinity.

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Bow was never one of my favourites, as I always prefer my heroes to be a little more successful and smart when fighting (e.g. Robin Hood). But he does get my full respect as a man through his good natured, cheerful, friendly personality and his enthusiasm, loyalty and willingness to do the right thing even when at considerable risk to himself.

Basically, he’s one of the most important men or combatants you would need in your people’s army if you were going to overthrow a better resourced despotic oppressor, such as the Horde.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I think Bret "The Hitman" Hart or Shawn Michaels would disagree with you!
    Yeah, what he said!

One of the greatest wrestlers ever.

Heroic Warrior
    I like Bow. Sure he can be an arrogant fool at times, but he generally means well.

And Bow is a co-leader of The Great Rebellion against The Evil Horde even though he has no "super powers" or "special abilities".

Also, he has a flying koala/owl combination as a best friend/worst enemy. How awesome is that?

I recently was able to rewatch the whole series and Bow is, hands down, my favorite character in POP. He's a bard-- a singer, musician and teller of tales. He can perform at least street-level magic, slight of hand and illusion-- not to mention he's talented at disguise. He's also a fine archer and excellent horseman-- able to keep up with She-Ra flying on Swiftwind. Bow's bravery is enough for ten men. He is a wonderful character-- and Kowl? Kowl's cynicism is so refreshing in comparison to all the positivity around the Rebel camp. I just love those two.

As a child I didn't realize that Bow's emblem was a heart until I got his toy. I thought it was a leaf arrowhead considering his archery theme.

http://www.arrowhead-maker.com/siteb...p2-509x387.jpg
    The first one on the top row. It's not barbed, so it's not designed to shred the wound when pulled out. It's a more merciful arrowhead.

http://www.archaeologyonline.org/ima...-arrowhead.jpg
    Incomplete version showing the process in making a flint like the one above with a head and flaker.

http://users.wpi.edu/~jforgeng/Colle...nails/3368.jpg
    A steel arrowhead in a private collection with a heart-motif

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/664...whead.summ.jpg
    A modern serrated hunting arrowhead with a heart-shape.

Even as a heart-- I don't see the problem:

http://www.ngw.nl/int/gbr/h/images/hornchurch.jpg
    The heart on this charge comes from the Arms of Sir Bernard of Savoy

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/61300/613...ensign_mth.gif
    or
    http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/69500/695..._ensign_sm.gif
    Another in an early and late version

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hdXn9UKqNf...urpleHeart.jpg
    No, a heart could never be a manly symbol of bravery...

Bow is made of manly awesome and not strange in the slightest.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

I think the idea or concept of Bow is spot on; it's a translation of a previous style now 'Classicized'! Bow was intended for the female market and here they did add some 'chops' to him in this line but kept it true. Idealistically, his character was a nobleman and as we know about this pedigree of character they are usually the last to be of a physical nature, they long to live the lavished lifestyle in the old medieval era. So it's not too off with they way he looks, cause eventually he had to take up arms. IMO he looks a little too buff, as I would've preferred a slightly trimmed Bow too portray this even more.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

He's not a nobleman in the Filmation series, nor do I think it's specified in any of the original written material (though the toy does include a circlet, but anyone can wear one of those). He's a valiant rogue and probably a peasant, given his street smarts and displayed skillset.

I do agree he's a bit buff for an archer in MOTUC, but I love him anyway.

Far as the "medieval life" being soft for nobles-- most noble males were expected to an encouraged to prove their worth in contests, sporting events, and other tests of physical capability-- not to mention being prepared to lead their troops in the frequent conflicts between neighbors. No noble would want a sallow, wastrel son who did nothing but seek pleasure and eschew the "manly arts". For one, such men were thought not to be able to sire healthy children-- and that was one of a nobleman's duties.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemisythe View Post
    I think the idea or concept of Bow is spot on; it's a translation of a previous style now 'Classicized'! Bow was intended for the female market and here they did add some 'chops' to him in this line but kept it true. Idealistically, his character was a nobleman and as we know about this pedigree of character they are usually the last to be of a physical nature, they long to live the lavished lifestyle in the old medieval era. So it's not too off with they way he looks, cause eventually he had to take up arms. IMO he looks a little too buff, as I would've preferred a slightly trimmed Bow too portray this even more.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Machinitess View Post
    He's not a nobleman in the Filmation series, nor do I think it's specified in any of the original written material (though the toy does include a circlet, but anyone can wear one of those). He's a valiant rogue and probably a peasant, given his street smarts and displayed skillset.

I do agree he's a bit buff for an archer in MOTUC, but I love him anyway.

Far as the "medieval life" being soft for nobles-- most noble males were expected to an encouraged to prove their worth in contests, sporting events, and other tests of physical capability-- not to mention being prepared to lead their troops in the frequent conflicts between neighbors. No noble would want a sallow, wastrel son who did nothing but seek pleasure and eschew the "manly arts". For one, such men were thought not to be able to sire healthy children-- and that was one of a nobleman's duties.
    Contests yes; battles, sieges or wars not necessarily. I wouldn't say they were physically handicapped but I would say nobleman are not of 'warrior' status as they spend more time in the affairs of the land and not on the land. Maybe medieval life was a little more physical so would feudalistic seem more appropriate? The thought comes from his current canon bio, as i would have liked it to be something of a rich boy learning to 'get his hands dirty' once he loses everything he once held; think it makes him a stronger character as the story progresses.

Have you ever looked at a medieval "contest" even a feudal one? Do you realize how deadly they were? Just surviving a grand melee or a joust was an accomplishment, let alone winning one. That's why jousts had to specify which lance-points were used. Blunted points were less likely to result in death but deaths still happened even with them. Noblemen, unless sickly or old or in a non-militant branch of the church, were not usually soft. Granted, they weren't as worn hard as a male serf or peasant might be because they had better food and lodging... but definitely they would wipe the floor with anything set before them and do it with relish. It's not regency-style camelot vapid prince charming we've got in my scenario, but an honest-to-goodness medieval prince who displays the heads of his enemies on his gateposts and rides out with his army on the high king's command. Reality has more mud and death, far fewer silk cushions and bonbons.

Bow being a noble takes away from his character imo. He's surrounded by nobility-- most of the cast of She-Ra is royal in some way or other. (Mermista- Princess, Frosta- Empress, Angella- High Queen, Glimmer- Princess, Castaspella- Queen, Double Trouble- Royal Lady, She-Ra/Adora- Princess, Hordak- Related to Horde Prime in some close fashion... not to mention all the filmation only characters who are noble in some way and now in MOTUC even more characters are being shown to be noble- like Catra. I mean, really, do we need another noble?) Him struggling against a poor education and other symptoms of poverty among so many who were born privileged adds more depth to him than being born with a silver spoon in his mouth like the others. It also makes him more unique among a cast of crowned heads.
    Signed by-- ME!

---

I always prefer diversity, that's what Bow gave in the POP series. I'm glad they make him that way, since it would be very repetitive to make him looked more like another Masters. I like him but Arroris the main thing i love about him . A beautiful winged blue horse

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    I could go on about the nature of Bow and She-Ra or Teela and He-Man, as I think they have great boyfriend/girlfriend stuff going on, but mostly visual elements that dont need dialoge to express.

Also there is the odd nature of the toy of Bow. No rubber band legs?.. and no twist-punch action.
    Last edited by LadyAngora; December 1, 2012 at 10:47pm. Reason: offensive wording

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian-King Paul View Post
    Also there is the odd nature of the toy of Bow. No rubber band legs?.. and no twist-punch action.
    No rubber band legs because it is POP figure, not MOTU. Twist-punch action is missing because of the beating heart mechanism (in MOTU the "power punch" is missing in Battle Armor figures because of mechanism too), POP female figures have twist-punch ("power punch") action.

text from the card:

Special friend of She-Ra!
    Push button on back... his heart "beats" for She-Ra!
    It was meant for girls mainly as the rest of POP line.
    Last edited by LadyAngora; December 1, 2012 at 10:48pm. Reason: cleaning up from an offensive post by EKP

Quote Originally Posted by Machinitess View Post
    Have you ever looked at a medieval "contest" even a feudal one? Do you realize how deadly they were? Just surviving a grand melee or a joust was an accomplishment, let alone winning one. That's why jousts had to specify which lance-points were used. Blunted points were less likely to result in death but deaths still happened even with them. Noblemen, unless sickly or old or in a non-militant branch of the church, were not usually soft. Granted, they weren't as worn hard as a male serf or peasant might be because they had better food and lodging... but definitely they would wipe the floor with anything set before them and do it with relish. It's not regency-style camelot vapid prince charming we've got in my scenario, but an honest-to-goodness medieval prince who displays the heads of his enemies on his gateposts and rides out with his army on the high king's command. Reality has more mud and death, far fewer silk cushions and bonbons.

Bow being a noble takes away from his character imo. He's surrounded by nobility-- most of the cast of She-Ra is royal in some way or other. (Mermista- Princess, Frosta- Empress, Angella- High Queen, Glimmer- Princess, Castaspella- Queen, Double Trouble- Royal Lady, She-Ra/Adora- Princess, Hordak- Related to Horde Prime in some close fashion... not to mention all the filmation only characters who are noble in some way and now in MOTUC even more characters are being shown to be noble- like Catra. I mean, really, do we need another noble?) Him struggling against a poor education and other symptoms of poverty among so many who were born privileged adds more depth to him than being born with a silver spoon in his mouth like the others. It also makes him more unique among a cast of crowned heads.
    Well yeah I'm on board with him not being that sort of a nobleman, but as per this canon if he is/was I think the story and buildup of his character from this can make him stronger. I see you gunning for a Game of Thrones type feel, which is pretty interesting, but I was referring to what his story is at current.

I think when The Horde took control of Etheria, Bow was humiliated and left for dead where he rose up and became the character he now is. Case in point; in a prior Roast Gooble when bow was first discussed the issue of him wearing gold seemed contradictory to his cause as he helped those less fortunate. But what I was picturing is when the Horde captured and imprisoned the vast nobles, Bow was made example as they 1. melted some of that gold on his chest (a la GOT) as torture or maybe he escaped capture retreated to his lands where he forged the gold to protect him realizing maybe it's value was more than just materialistic???

GOT is more close to medieval than it is high fantasy. It's one of the reasons I like the series. I do feel like the later books have less punch than the first few though.

This is the classic She-Ra forum though, so all incarnations pop up (see what I did thar?). If you want to discuss just the MOTUC version, you might gather more attention for that discussion in the MOTUC forum.

That being said-- I think the golden outfit is a gift because he faithfully served the leaders of the Rebellion (not uncommon to decorate faithful servants). Bright colors like gold are a used on a battlefield to indicate commanders and trusted retainers-- it makes him a focal point for the rebel forces because they can locate him anywhere. The heart device might even be a medal of honor for his bravery- though it serves a later dual purpose to give him panic attacks when She-Ra is in trouble (always hated that part on the toy description. It seemed really dumb that his power was panic attacks-- but then Stinkor was a walking fart joke so and TC Skeletor wore a purple sports-bra). I don't think Bow was tortured. As it stands I'd say the gold torture thing is far too convoluted an explanation for his humble turn of heart. Also a test of gold to induce morality is way too much like Seahawk.
    Last edited by Machinitess; November 30, 2012 at 11:23pm.
    Signed by-- ME!

---

Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    No rubber band legs because it is POP figure, not MOTU. Twist-punch action is missing because of the beating heart mechanism (in MOTU the "power punch" is missing in Battle Armor figures because of mechanism too), POP female figures have twist-punch ("power punch") action.

text from the card:

Exactly

The fact Bow is strange is why I like him so much. He is just a fun character. I love his personality. Most of the strange things about him were in the writing & timing of what he said. For instance...

There is an episode where he says something like "Don't worry, I'll use my arrow lassoo." What? I've never heard of a lass-sue.

Also, the one where Adora's nanny is featured, at the end 6 or so rebels are around the fire with her. They are all saying they are glad she is not a spy. They all do that talk at once "welcome to the rebellion" "glad your with us" kinda thing. Bow who has been there the entire time says "Hey (her name) it's great to see you again!" I again am forced to say what? Did he fall asleep?

I like him because he is that goofy boyish charmer with a heart of gold. He works so well with the rest of the cast. Plus he wore a dress and didn't realise it. Hilarious. Oh Bow, you make me smile & thats why I like you.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    DYLAMANIA IS RUNNIN' WILD! THE MOB IS GROWING!

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    I like Bow I also like Kowl, but, many times I feel he's too harsh on Bow with his insults and needs to lay off, lol.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    I think people forget that the POP line was made to appeal to girls. Mattel already had the very popular Barbie line, but saw POP as a way to get a different demographic of girls in to opening their parent's wallets. Bow seems a little feminine because most young girls didn't want Stratos as She-Ra's boyfriend in their make believe world.

Also I read an interview with Ram-Man and he said they had first approached him, but the "Special Friend" title scared him away.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Court Magician
    Joking aside - but do you all think the camp elements of Bow are deliberate?
    Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor....come in you royal BOOB!