Thread: MOTU Christmas memories!!!!

MOTU Christmas memories!!!!

So, let's hear 'em-your favorite MOTU christmas memories! I will get the ball rolling. First clear and vivid MOTU memory was 1985 as a young whipper snapper in Yorba Linda, CA. The christmas tree was being attacked by Roboto and Bashasaurus was a big score; I think I also received the Slime Pit-hours of fun. The following year, in NC, Rio Blast was the only figure I ever received from the last wave in the series. I do recall one year receiving two figures each for Skeletor and Beast Man-a bit confused but twice the fun. The last MOTU toys for Christmas came from the stactions in 2007. One of the big things I loved about receiving MOTU was the artwork, looking at the figures on the back of the box, and staging a battle. Sadly, I never got the big one-Grayskull or Snake Mountain-even though my dad worked at Toys R Us as a manager.

The first Christmas I really remember was 1982, just before I turned four. Everything that was released at that point was under my tree except Zodac. It wasn't till almost a year later I finally got Zodac. I only remember a few other Christmas' after that the one I got Optimus Prime and my dad had to get his hands from the garage, and the one I got some Voltron stuff, and NES are the only other ones.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Two words: Ram-Man. I was so happy!
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

The first christmas I remember was with MOTU Man-At-Arms & Castle Grayskull. I have no other memory of the presents just MAA & the castle.

The Castle freaked me out so bad I couldnt play with it for a long time! b

I remember the tree was HUGE like 10+ ft. high (we cut it off the top of a tree at a tree farm) and Man-at-arms was all over it!!

Christmas 1984....walked into my Grandparent's house and Santa had come early, delivering me Snake Mountain, BA He-man and Skeletor, Stridor and Fisto, and Night Stalker with Jitsu. Best part.....it's immortalized on film!

(The year before I got Grayskull but it's not quite as vivid a memory)

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Castle Grayskull and Skeletor.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Sister Edith is in the hospital this week. She is having trouble sleeping and has requested tapes of Pastor Dave's sermons..."

My christmas memories now make me want to pick up a classics Mer-man, Beast-man, and Man-At-Arms so I could have a complete set of those guys.

Castle Grayskull would be nice but....
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

a Muppet of a man...
    I've told this story somewhere on the .org before, but one Christmas, I don't remember the year but it must have been 82-83... I got Castle Grayskull. But it was the way I got it that made it kinda special. Christmas Day came and went. I got presents, I don't remember specifically what, but Santa had been kind, and I was a happy little kid. A day or so later, my dad came in from the garage with a giant wrapped box. He told me that Santa must not have had room for such a big box under the tree, and he must have put in in the garage. I tore open the paper, and there was Castle Grayskull!

What had really happened was my parents had tried to find it before Christmas, but didn't find it until after. The "extra present" was a great thing to get from Santa as a kid, but as I grew up, I realized the extra searching my parents did, and that has stayed with me. That Castle Grayskull is still the one in my vintage collection today.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Unfortunately I don't really have many vivid memories (Christmas related or otherwise) of exactly when and how I got most of my MOTU items as a kid. I think this is due largely in part to how young I was during the height of MOTU... I was born in early 1980, so I was only 2 when the figures came out, and 3 when the cartoon started. While MOTU was a big part of my childhood, and I have a lot of very general memories and nostalgia of playing with the figures, watching the cartoon, and going to the video rental store with my grandfather and renting He-Man videos, I don't have a lot of specific memories of when, how, and under what circumstances I got most of my collection.

In recent years I've seen a picture of me opening the Attack Track, which appears to be from some Christmas, though I'm not sure specifically which year.

Though not Christmas related, I think my very first MOTU toys were He-Man and the Wind Raider, but again I was so young I can't say that's definitely accurate.

I did enjoy She-Ra as well as an extension of MOTU. I remember seeing SOTS in theater, and I seem to recall one year for Christmas getting some of the POP figures. I think I remember receiving 3 of them lined up next to each other wrapped up inside of a box that would normally be used for something like clothing.

I also seem to recall getting Rattlor when I was at a store with my aunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotward View Post
    I've told this story somewhere on the .org before, but one Christmas, I don't remember the year but it must have been 82-83... I got Castle Grayskull. But it was the way I got it that made it kinda special. Christmas Day came and went. I got presents, I don't remember specifically what, but Santa had been kind, and I was a happy little kid. A day or so later, my dad came in from the garage with a giant wrapped box. He told me that Santa must not have had room for such a big box under the tree, and he must have put in in the garage. I tore open the paper, and there was Castle Grayskull!

What had really happened was my parents had tried to find it before Christmas, but didn't find it until after. The "extra present" was a great thing to get from Santa as a kid, but as I grew up, I realized the extra searching my parents did, and that has stayed with me. That Castle Grayskull is still the one in my vintage collection today.
    I do have a memory of something somewhat similar happening when I was a kid one Christmas, though it's not MOTU related. "Santa" had brought me Jabba the Hutt from the original Return of the Jedi toy line. But some of the small parts that attached to his base/throne thing (like the little knobs that opened the trap door, and a few other pieces) were missing when I opened it. My mom must have sent a letter to Kenner to send the missing parts, and they mailed them to her. I remember them being in a plain brown cardboard box... there was no Christmas wrapping on them (it's possible by the time this was received, the Christmas decorations, paper, etc may have been packed away in the attic.... I don't recall exactly how long after Christmas this happened), but there was a letter from "Santa" with it apologizing that the parts weren't included originally, and that he had the Elves take care of it by sending out this package (or something like that).

It's odd things like this that I remember more so from that time (since I was probably no more than 3 or 4 when this happened). Had Jabba come with all of his parts included, I probably wouldn't specifically remember getting him for Christmas.

This isn't so much a memory (since I never actually got the incorrect item), but it's a funny story that my Mom has told me about a few times. One Christmas I received the talking KITT car from Knight Rider with Michael Knight figure (where you pressed the rear license plate to make the car talk). But my mom ran into a problem before I actually got it for Christmas. She bought the car, put batteries in it ahead of time so that it would work when I opened it on Christmas, and when she went to test it, it spoke Spanish! It came in the regular box with English text on it, but the wrong version of the car ended up in there. So she had to take it back and exchange it for one that actually did speak English.

I still actually have the car, though it doesn't work as well as it once did.... I'm not sure if I still have the figure, but I think it just got mixed in with some other things and I probably still have it somewhere. While it would have been disappointing as a kid to get that incorrect version, I think I would appreciate more now as an adult as it would just be a fun little conversation piece.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I remember wanting a Red Ryder carbine action bb gun for Christmas. I kept dropping hints to my mom and dad but they said I'd shoot my eye out. I wrote an essay in school saying I wanted one for Christmas and my teacher also said I'd shoot my eye out. Even the Santa at Higbees said I'd shoot my eye out! Christmas came and I opened all my presents with my family but no gun. Then, at the very last moment my dad pointed out a gift in the corner. I eagerly opened it up and there was my beloved bb gun! I promptly went outside with it and did in fact shoot my eye out. Best Christmas ever!
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

MOTU Christmas memories. Ok, here are a few.....

I distinctly remember getting MOTU stuff on two Christmas mornings. The first memory was the only year that we ever spent Christmas anywhere else other than at home when I was a kid. I remember we were staying with my mom's parents on Christmas eve and we opened gifts that evening. I distinctly remember getting the Bionic 6 headquarters. On Christmas morning we went to my aunt's house to spend Christmas morning with my aunt and my dad's mother. I remember getting some G.I. Joe stuff (Serpentor). Then we drove home (this all happened in Columbus, OH and we were living in Cincinatti, OH). When we got home my Santa Claus gifts and gifts from my parents were waiting for me. I remember the G.I. Joe MCC and the Fright Zone! Quite possibly the NES as well. All in all a memorable Christmas!!

The second memory would have been the next year (maybe 87 or 88?) and by that point we were living in Chicago. I distinctly remember getting Randor and the Slime Pit that year. I remember the slime pit because I had opened it and spilled the slime on the carpet (it was really watery for some reason). I ended up covering the stain with the tree skirt and letting the tree take the blame on New Year's day when the tree was taken out to the trash (it was a real tree).
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    1985 - First year in our new house (was the home I grew up in), got Mer-Man, Two-Bad, Jitsu, and Stinkor. I remember using Stinkor the next month to wake my father up one morning it snowed. The smell of evil to wake up groggy over-worked fathers!

1989 - The Eternia playset! Had no idea that was coming. It was the last present I opened that year. Always thought I got that in 1988, but it was '89, as I had a Batman (Michael Keaton) poster in my room in the pictures. Loved that playset, it was last great fun my sister and I had with MOTU. Even though the new toyline would come out, I was, and still am, vintage to the core. The Eternia playset still remains the biggest Christmas surprise I ever got, both literally and figuratively.

Christmas 1983:

MOTU figures were the first action figures that I had ever wanted. I had wanted them for a while but hadn't gotten any. Christmas morning I saw 2 wrapped presents shaped exactly like MOTU figures. I opened them up first. He-Man and Skeletor were not just my first MOTU figures, they were my very first action figures I ever had as a kid (Along with BA, from A-Team, I also got that morning). My brother got just He-Man which I pretended was Faker, who I thought at the time looked exactly like He-Man because that's how he appeared him in the Filmation cartoon. I don't think I was even aware of the blue skinned Faker toy at the time. My mom later explained to me a few years ago that she remembered accidentally buying me 2 He-Man figures without realizing it so that is why my younger brother ended up with an extra He-Man.

Eventually, I would go on to enjoy other toy lines more than MOTU (Transformers, Star Wars, and GI*JOE) but the vintage He-man and Skeletor will always hold a special place in my heart for being the very first action figures I ever had.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior Eternia LoreMaster's Avatar
    I received my first few MOTU figures for Christmas of 1984. I also got alot of G I Joe figures and vehicles and a few Transformers. However, it was the MOTU figures that ultimately consumed most of my playtime. For Chistmas of 1985 and 1986 the majority of toys that I got were all MOTU. Fun times.

Heroic Warrior
    I clearly remember one Christmas 1984 or was it 1985 I got a lot of MOTU stuff figures,coloring books and even He-Man shaped crayons and the Panini sticker album with stickers.

I got some MOTU figs for christmas a few times when I was a kid. Not all MOTU stuff of course but I am sure I got some. One of them was Spydor I think...well I remember having Spydor but he may have been a b-day present, tho I am sure it was an christmas one. I also think I got CG and SM for xmas but considering I can't remember ever owning CG (tho my family insists I did) I can't really recall when I got it.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Heroic Warrior
    Last year when I started collecting I got a loose Man-At-Arms, Teela, and Beastman. I had to help my mom pick out the characters from the collectible store. My mom thought Man-At-Arms was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle

I remember getting Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, Point Dredd with Talon Fighter, Wind Raider, Battle Ram, Stridor, Attack Track, and Road Ripper on various Christmases in the early to mid 1980s.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF

Snappy Threader
    I remember the Holiday season in 1984 (I think ha). I had received Snake Mountain previously, but this was particularily awesome. On my Bday in December, I got Prince Adam, Battle Cat and Orko. It was a snow day so I played the heck out of them all day long. My party was that following weekend, and I snagged Clawful and 2 Korba Khans. But Christmas that year, under the tree was Castle Grayskull. I forget what else I got that year but I think the Battle Ram and Road Ripper. What a fun time.