Thread: Vampire Movies: The Immortal, the good, the suck

Vampire Movies: The Immortal, the good, the suck

Love it or hate it, ever since Twilight, vampires are back and trendy, although zombies seem to be on par with interest in bloodsuckers waning for whatever new gimmicky tween story will be thrown our way. After going back into the coffin when Buffy The Vampire Slayer ended, the undead have risen again to stake their claim on pop culture in a big way.

For all its 'new lore' and changes to existing vampire mythos, it has reawakened our thirst for vampire media. so this thread is all about vampire movies. Old and new, good and bad, your personal favorites and why. Lets talk Nosferatu, you little blood bags.

The Immortal
    Fright Night, 1985
    The Lost Boys, 1987
    Bram Stoker's Dracula, 1992
    Interview With The Vampire, 1994
    From Dusk Til Dawn, 1996
    Vampires, 1998 (John Carpentar)
    Blade, 1998
    Underworld Series 2003-2012 (yes all 4 movies were great)
    Let The Right One In, 2008 (Swedish original)
    We Are The Night, 2010
    Vampires Suck, 2010

The Good
    Lifeforce, 1985
    Near Dark, 1987
    Buffy The Vampire Slayer, 1992
    The Night Flier, 1997
    Fright Night 2, 1988
    Dracula: 2000, 2000
    Blade 2, 2002
    Twilight Saga, 2008-2012 (they get better after the first one, but barely enough to make it past suck)
    Let The Right One In, 2011 (remake)
    Priest, 2011
    Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, 2012

The Suck
    From Dusk Til Dawn 2, 1999
    From Dusk Til Dawn 3, 1999
    Queen of The Damned, 2002
    Blade Trinity, 2004
    30 Days of Night, 2007
    Daybreakers, 2009
    Lost Boys, The Tribe, 2009
    Fright Night 2010, (remake)
    Midnight Son, 2011

It was very difficult to place Twilight Saga under 'good'. While the movies did offer up a different take on vampires, and stayed true to some of their established traits (drinking blood, superhuman strength, bizarre psychic/elemental abilities, immortality), I eventually grew to accept the sparkling skin within the story. Still the movies were plagued with drawn out (blah blah blah if you know anyone about Twilight) yawn educing romantic nonsense.

However, the action sequences were its saving grace. every movie did feature vampire battles that improved with each film. The newest installment features some great fight sequences to please any vampire fan. Perhaps after watching all of them (though falling asleep through 1 and 5), I was invested enough not to completely hate them. Despite the screen time dedicated to Edward/Bella and their white bread vampire family, most of the other vampire characters were very interesting. I don't suspect that there are many Twi-hards floating around these boards.

The Underworld franchise however, while not perfect, was a fantastic vampire series that got better as time went on and never disappointed, well, okay, so maybe the last one wasn't so great, but it was still good enough to be immortalized with the rest of the films. Though I was never a fan of the overall look of the 'simple vampires' make up (blue eyes and fangs just didn't cut it), its well written story, lore, special effects, costumes and fantastic action (and lack of painfully trite lovey dovey hogwash) made it a solid vampire movie franchise.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; November 19, 2012 at 02:11am.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    My personal favorite vampire movie is Interview With The Vampire. I thought the choices for the Lestat and Louis were spot on, though as much as I like Banderas, he was alot older than what Armand should have been portrayed as.

Unfortunately, rather than proper sequels, we got the abomination that was Queen of the Damned.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    My personal favorite vampire movie is Interview With The Vampire. I thought the choices for the Lestat and Louis were spot on, though as much as I like Banderas, he was alot older than what Armand should have been portrayed as.

Unfortunately, rather than proper sequels, we got the abomination that was Queen of the Damned.
    Interview With The Vampire was a wonderful movie, Brad Pitt, Kirsten Dunst and even Tom Crazy Cruise were fantastic. I agree with you on the sequel, though 90% of the time, any movie that features a cross over celebrity singer to actor is bound to be garbage. There are exceptions, but rappers and r/b tend to be culprit to the worst films ever made.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I'm shocked you didn't like Daybreakers; I personally think it's fantastic. Now, Twilight and Lifeforce? Talk about suck, lol

Some other good fliks not mentioned:

The Fearless Vampire Killers

The Brides of Dracula

Innocent Blood

******** of Blood

Vampire Hunter D (Japanese Animation)

Salem's Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    I'm shocked you didn't like Daybreakers; I personally think it's fantastic. Now, Twilight and Lifeforce? Talk about suck

I felt that Daybreakers was visually boring and offered nothing new to the vampire mythology. I like Ethan Hawk, but for the most part, it was hard to stay awake.

Life Force was good, because it was so old, and really tried to do something stupendous on a limited budget. It might actually be an amazing remake. I see potential, but with Daybreakers, I was just bored to tears.

Salem's Lot is fun, I had forgotten about it.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; November 20, 2012 at 10:57pm.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    I felt that Daybreakers was visually boring and offered nothing new to the vampire mythology. I like Ethan Hawk, but for the most part, it was hard to stay awake.

Life Force was good, because it was so old, and really tried to do something stupendous on a limited budget. It might actually be an amazing remake. I see potential, but with Daybreakers, I was just bored to tears.

Salem's Lot is fun, I had forgotten about it.
    To each his own, but the idea that sunlight is what cures vampirism was really great, imo.

And Lifeforce was lame just cuz it came off as more of a succubus story than a vampire one. Sure, you can argue semantics, but watching a naked chick walk around all movie while draining peoples "energy" just doesn't hold my interest.

A couple of other fun vampire fliks I didn't mention last time was John Carpenter's Vampires and Love at first bite.

Heroic Warrior
    How about these?

Vamp
    The Hunger
    The Keep (Molesar the demon in the movie/book is considered to be the origin of the vampire lore and he drains souls instead of blood and would sometimes restore a person's youth)
    Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter (Introduces us that there are many different species of vampires)
    Def By Temptation
    Lair of the White Worm
    Sleepwalkers
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    Vampire Hunter D 1 & 2
    Thirst (1979 and 2009 Korean)
    Martin
    Immortality (aka Wisdom of Crocodiles)
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    here's a few more
    good
    1.The horror of Dracula 1958
    2.The curse of Dracula
    the bad
    1.Atomic age vampire
    "These are the days of high adventure"

Although I am a huge fan of Twilight, I have to agree that the movies suck. They're terrible; so I guess I'm just a fan of the books.

The Lost Boys has been one of my favorites for years. I had a boyfriend in high school who introduced me to it (I was too young to watch it when it was released) and loved it from the start. It's become a staple for me every Halloween.

Another fave of mine is ******** of Blood. I know it's stupid and campy, but it's great for a laugh. I love watching Dennis Miller blow up a bunch of naked vampire women with a super soaker full of holy water. I've always been a fan of Tales from the Crypt though

Master of New Adventures!
    Personally I loved BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA. Yeah, some of the shots looked a little cheesy, but that was intentional. To me it was an amazing blend of horror, suspense, action/adventure and romance. It was the first time I really felt sympathy for the Count. Imo the chemistry between Oldman and Ryder was fantastic -- easily her best film. I was moved by the final scene and by the love between them. Reeves was outstanding (as usual) and convincing, I think, and the scenes in the castle were riveting...especially when Drac's gals feast on the baby. Don't even get me started on Sadie Frost as Lucy. After all, this isn't The Tar Swamp. Only downside was Hopkins hamming it up in a few places.

Overall it took me on a wonderful ride, alternately horrifying and romantic...and even with a fews bits of brief humor thrown in here and there. I've seen it many times and I think it holds up as being very watchable.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 1, 2012 at 02:33pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    The Suck
    Blade Trinity, 2004
    30 Days of Night, 2007

Wrong on both counts...........

And how could you forget:

Salem's Lot
    Ultraviolet
    Dracula Dead & Loving It
    Dracula (With Frank Langella)
    Last edited by Megalodon; December 1, 2012 at 02:49pm.

Ultraviolet... Sigh... I'd pay good money just to see Milla in a McDonald's commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post

Salem's Lot
    Ultraviolet
    Dracula Dead & Loving It

Salem's Lot
    Ultraviolet
    Dracula Dead & Loving It
    Seriously, one of my absolutely favorite movies of ALL TIME.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Ultraviolet... Sigh... I'd pay good money just to see Milla in a McDonald's commercial.
    I hear ya Jack but that movie was WAY better than any "Twilight" movie....

I hear ya Jack but that movie was WAY better than any "Twilight" movie....
    BONUS!

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Personally I loved BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA. Yeah, some of the shots looked a little cheesy, but that was intentional. To me it was an amazing blend of horror, suspense, action/adventure and romance. It was the first time I really felt sympathy for the Count. Imo the chemistry between Oldman and Ryder was fantastic -- easily her best film. I was moved by the final scene and by the love between them. Reeves was outstanding (as usual) and convincing, I think, and the scenes in the castle were riveting...especially when Drac's gals feast on the baby. Don't even get me started on Sadie Frost as Lucy. After all, this isn't The Tar Swamp. Only downside was Hopkins hamming it up in a few places.

Overall it took me on a wonderful ride, alternately horrifying and romantic...and even with a fews bits of brief humor thrown in here and there. I've seen it many times and I think it holds up as being very watchable.

Still one of my favorite movies. (And honestly, I love Hopkins in this - I love his take on Van Helsing as being somewhat cracked.) And while I think it can seem dated a bit, I think that adds to its charm. (It's also the only version of Dracula I can think of offhand that includes Quincy P. Morris).
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Salem's Lot
    Ultraviolet
    Dracula Dead & Loving It
    Well Salem's Lot I had not seen. Ultraviolet, I kind of glazed over. I forgot it was even a vampire movie, but I do like Milla in Resident Evil. Dracula Dead And Loving it, again, I passed on and I have yet to see Dracula with good old Frank.

Now, Bram Stoker's Dracula, I've probably seen 10 times. It's truly a vampire movie masterpiece. Nothing about the movie seems dated to me (other than some of the special effects), I love ever moment of that movie.

Speaking of 'the suck', I just started watching The Vampire Diaries. Its kind of like Twilight for television, but the vampires are far more familiar to the classic interpretations. However, the show's soundtrack is really catchy. So far I've heard Silversun Pick Ups and Placebo!

I'm behind on True Blood by a season now. I still have mixed feelings about that show. I think after you become invested into something for more than a few seasons, you just want to see how it plays out.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; December 2, 2012 at 02:07am.

Heroic Warrior
    Hey Sky, what about the movies i mentioned as well?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Hey Sky, what about the movies i mentioned as well?
    I only updated my list if I had seen them personally. Otherwise I cant really rate them. Hee hee. While I did watch Killer Klowns from Outer Space when I was a kid, I don't recall it being an actual vampire movie.

I've also seen Sleepwalkers, and there was nothing really 'vampire specific' about that one either. Weren't they just weird demons with allergic reactions to cats?

You are free to share any movies you like here, but we are talking vampires.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; December 23, 2012 at 11:46pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Well Not all vampires come from beyond the grave but from space like on Lifeforce as there's Planet of the Vampires, Vampirella comics, Not of this Earth (1957 and 1988) and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Afterall on some sites on some vampire lists Killer Klowns is mentioned as they are blood-sucking sharp toothed aliens who suck blood from straws.

Sleepwalkers IS a vampire movie as the creatures are one of those unconventional vampires that beat the traditional stereotypes and are psychic-vampires aka energy sucking vampires and considered the birth of vampire lore just like the Lifeforce aliens or Molesar from The Keep.

Have you seen Michael Mann's The Keep?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Well Not all vampires come from beyond the grave but from space like on Lifeforce as there's Planet of the Vampires, Vampirella comics, Not of this Earth (1957 and 1988) and Killer Klowns from Outer Space. Afterall on some sites on some vampire lists Killer Klowns is mentioned as they are blood-sucking sharp toothed aliens who suck blood from straws.

Sleepwalkers IS a vampire movie as the creatures are one of those unconventional vampires that beat the traditional stereotypes and are psychic-vampires aka energy sucking vampires and considered the birth of vampire lore just like the Lifeforce aliens or Molesar from The Keep.

Have you seen Michael Mann's The Keep?
    Well there is certainly room for unconventional vampires, but I doubt I'll revisit those movies.
    No I have not seen The Keep. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.