Thread: My way of storing my collection

My way of storing my collection

Hi folks,

I just wanted to share my way of storing my collection with some pics.
    I take a picture of the figure, put it in a zip bag and put it in a mid-sized plastic box which has a label with a number on it. (to find it quickly if necessary).
    The smaller boxes are for star wars and gi joe by the way.

What do you think of it?

Thanx for your feedback.
    IMG_0088.jpgIMG_0089.jpgIMG_0090.jpg

Putting them in zip bag is bad idea. The plastic will react and the figure will become sticky.

I put mine in plastic cases/bubbles. I cut some holes in the plastic cases to allow airflow.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

I use these:

http://www.toppits.de/detail_d1_produkt_de,870,538.html

Do you think they will get sticky in the future?
    The are made for food.

Thanx.

I've read the same thing about baggies quite a few times, but since I haven't used baggies for figures, I can't say I have first hand knowledge.

are the smaller boxes the ones made by plano?
    I write comics, too! Check out Studio Stella Polaris on Drive Thru Comics!

They are from a local Hardware store (their owen brand).
    I don't know what to do. I need to store my whole collection in a small room.

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I use these:

http://www.toppits.de/detail_d1_produkt_de,870,538.html

Do you think they will get sticky in the future?
    The are made for food.

Thanx.

It isn't the plastic bags that make them sticky, but the lack of circulating, fresh oxygen - which seems to have some type of an effect on the plastic.

I have just received a sticky mutagen man in the mail this afternoon. I rinsed him off with water and then used rubbing alcohol.
    Neither helped. Then I tried giving him a good once over with goo gone. That seems to have helped a lot.
    Even if this works reliably, it would be a nightmare having to do it on a large collection.

The best solution would be to buy a big house with enough rooms. The only problem is that a house isn't cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    It isn't the plastic bags that make them sticky, but the lack of circulating, fresh oxygen - which seems to have some type of an effect on the plastic.

I have just received a sticky mutagen man in the mail this afternoon. I rinsed him off with water and then used rubbing alcohol.
    Neither helped. Then I tried giving him a good once over with goo gone. That seems to have helped a lot.
    Even if this works reliably, it would be a nightmare having to do it on a large collection.
    I have kept mine in sealed plastic bags since the late 80's and they aren't sticky at all. I think the heat has more to do with discoloring and/or degrading the plastic. I recommend keeping them in the house where temperature control is better as opposed to the garage or attic which can experience greater extreme temps. I do buy lots of vintage figures and the absolute best stuff to get rid of the sticky residue is silicone spray. Just make sure you go over it with a damp rag after as I doubt you want to keep silicone on the plastic for extended periods of time. It also works well for cleaning off the paint that has seeped out on Roboto and Two-Bad figures.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Thanks beastor for your reply. You're giving me the good feeling that my collection is going to stay the way I love it.
    By the Way. Silicon spray works great.

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    The best solution would be to buy a big house with enough rooms. The only problem is that a house isn't cheap.
    Too bad the transmutator blew up. We could just shrink our collections. I also collect video games, and they take up way less space than toys

Yeah, and we could shrink ourself to live in a small barbie house.

I also bag mine in zip bags but put a few holes in the bag. My brother worked on a few archaeological digs and on some museum placements so I asked him, he reckoned that was probably the easiest/cheapest way of storing them. Said it wasn't certain to preserve them but was my best bet.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Sucks that you have to keep your collection in bags. Kinda defeats the purpose of collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    Sucks that you have to keep your collection in bags. Kinda defeats the purpose of collecting.
    I guess that is all a matter of opinion. My wife doesn't really want to see these figures displayed in the Family room and we don't have basements in California so I keep them in the guest room closet. I pull them out all the time and when my son is older I will probably just let him play with them. I'd rather have them stored in plastic bags than not have them at all.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Quote Originally Posted by beastor View Post
    I guess that is all a matter of opinion. My wife doesn't really want to see these figures displayed in the Family room and we don't have basements in California so I keep them in the guest room closet. I pull them out all the time and when my son is older I will probably just let him play with them. I'd rather have them stored in plastic bags than not have them at all.
    Yea that's how I do it rather that or be type cast like people on collector intervention....

I have all of my loose vintage figures in bags in temperature controlled house and or basement

Yeah feel the same way, better a collection in bags then nothing at all. My wife also is strictly against figures in the living room, except for batman stuff. Don't ask me why.
    I hoped that I could pack my whole collection in bags and boxes till end of december. Not gonna happen, have to work in the holiday time. That sucks.

I'm trying to figure out, how to store my princess of power collection too. Should I store the clothes together with the "figures" or separate them?