Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CG and Snake Mountain stands - any good?

CG and Snake Mountain stands - any good?

Are these stands any good? I mean do they hold up all the figures ok as I remember seeing a vid somewhere that said the SM ones are not that effective

I use them both and in general they work very well. I have a few older figures (Mer-man, Hordak, She-Ra, etc) whose peg holes are either too large or too small and so the stands don't hold them up properly, but besides those few issues I really like them.

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    I only have the Grayskull ones and were unhappy with them. I needed them for earlier figures who don't like to stand up (Beastman, He-Man...) but they didn't seem to work well. That's why I did not purchase the Snake Mountain ones, even though they looked awesome!

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

OK Thanks

Well I may try a sale pack in any case as have a couple of figures that seem suicidal from my shelf

They are not good, my figures stand generally better on flat ground. Those figures that do not stand well on their own, will definitely NOT stand at all on them. I really hope the new stands coming up work better...

I use them for some figures, but I find that the ones with poor ankles who could make the most use of them...are still going to tip over. I ended up using one of the flight stands for She-Ra 1.0, and now I don't have to worry about her tumbling at all.

Heroic Warrior
    The SM stands only look good, if you paint them purple instead of black... But both stands are useless, if your figures have loose joints...Something like the Sideshow/Hot Toys figures get, would better serve the purpose...
    Last edited by Berserker79; November 28, 2012 at 12:49pm.

I respectfully disagree with most posters here. I like both styles of the stands. I find that they really help with figures with loose joints if you pose them in a way that braces them. In these instances, I use both pegs for the feet and end up not adding the little bit of rock in the back.

I've gone back and forth on the stands. Didn't buy any of the SM ones due to the poor reviews and my wishy-washy-ness on the CG ones. Ultimately, I've decided against them...and am now stuck with nearly 30 stands, lol. Speaking in regards to how well they hold the figures up, well, they don't do the best job. Like the previous poster stated, yes, you can use two pegs on each foot and it helps slightly with figures that have loose ankles, but if it's any other joint (knee, hip) it's not gonna make a difference. Due to the rigidness of the "stone" design, they generally stand better on a flat surface (even with the pegs). I honestly wouldn't recommend them for most people.
    Last edited by Rainboy; November 28, 2012 at 12:15pm.

Heroic Warrior
    We need stands which work without being depend on the joints.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    They look nice, but are complete garbage. If your figure is semi top heavy, loose ankles, weird peg shapes..... they will take a swan dive. Much better off with doll stands from a art supplier.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Snappy Threader
    I agree with Lord Anubis. THey look nice, but......I have had many a hero fall to the evil of the stands.

I was on the fence about the Grayskull stands for ages but bought a few in September. I also largely disagree with many of you guys; I think they're completely awesome for the most part.

They look great when you put them together and make for simple yet attractive display pieces IMO. I haven't experienced the figures falling over that others have, either, but I dunno.

My one complaint would be that the foot pegs don't fit all the MOTUC feet. For example, TP He-Man's foot peg hole is too small.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I like 'em well enough for what they are.
    What I wish could be improved on them, that will likely never happen, but that the pegs just become solid cylinders vs. the split pegs. They're flimsy and loose as is and feel like some pvc pegs would've been better.
    I also wish they would've "connected" better one to the other. It looks like the idea was kind of there in the sculpt, but for whatever reason, that didn't follow through in production as well?
    Lastly, I would've liked at least one variation on the rock wall and rock formation just to give just a little more variety.

I guess I feel like for nearly the same cost these could've been a lot better in execution. The overall sculpt is there and cool. But the final product is just a little lacking IMO.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    I like them well enough. I only have a couple floppies that don't want to stand up...but I have 50 CG stands and just purchased 30 more SM stands during cyber monday. I am anxious to see how the new tiered stands will work though....
    Its time for Electroid Love---ARAMESH in 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    ...I am anxious to see how the new tiered stands will work though....
    Tiered stands? I haven't heard of these! Expostulate, sir.

I used them a lot in the beginning of the line, but as the collection grew and shelf space quickly became a premium, the added 'footprint' these stands create was simply too cumbersome. Also, the peg system only worked for the figures, with the stone piece never quite sticking correctly and often flopping around.

I say for the added expense and sometime hassle just take your chances finding that sweet spot in posing the figures w/out a stand.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Customikey View Post
    Tiered stands? I haven't heard of these! Expostulate, sir.
    They debuted a prototype at PowerCon or SDCC, (I am not the best person for this explanation) and TG said theat they would be releasing new stands based on these sometime next year...he may have even said they would be shown at Toyfair, but I could be wrong. I couldn't find a pic, but I am certain they are out there.

Sources:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...to-WTFWTK-2-89!
    Its time for Electroid Love---ARAMESH in 2014!

I can't speak for the Snake Mountain stands but IMO the CG stands look great when you put them together (crappy cellphone pics):

I've got both and they're good for what they are.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

From what I have read and looked at, as far as stands go they are great there are some problems here and there. The real over all issue is some figures just don't like to stand no matter how much you try. I bought the Superfriends set because they were cheap. They do help many figures (not just of mattel's brands) but some figures still are a chore to stand or have holes that the pegs don't fit into.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I'd only buy them for aesthetics if I were to get them. Never found stands much use for figures with ankle articulation. You can always either find a point of stability or the joint(s) are too loose that stands won't help. For guys like MAA and Beastman, I have them riding a Wind Raider and Griffin anyway. Most troublesome beyond those two is Prince Adam.

They are more for Diorama purposes then actual usable stands. I hope they color match Grayskull with them so they display well next to it.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

What I dont like of both stands are the pegs, but i found some small screws that fits into them and can hold well the figs
    Ya Tengo El Poder!!!!!!

My figures stand fine without stands, I usually fix the joints that are loose....which sadly has been quite a few. But I do have to say the recent past months figures have been nice and solid, except Frosta....loose knee & foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    We need stands which work without being depend on the joints.
    Flight Stands....
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!