Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He-Man & the Masters of the Universe #5 Talkback - DC Comics - *SPOILERS*

He-Man & the Masters of the Universe #5 Talkback - DC Comics - *SPOILERS*

Issue #5 comes out today.

Heroic Warrior
    Just read it... The two artists makes for a bit of an inconsistent look. However, overall I liked the issue, and the ending means next issue is going to be PACKED with action. I was very surprised to see one character removed so easily, although maybe it's meant to open the door for another to step into the role we know is taken "in the future"... Whatever the case, Skeletor is definitely a bit ruthless in this incarnation.

I don't know if I can wait a month for this to wrap... I'm curious to see how this one ends and what doors it leaves open for more stories. I definitely don't want this to be the first, last, and only series we see in this interpretation.

I found the artwork to be quite uneven again. I did like the chamber where the sword was kept and that the Sorceress used Skeletor's mind, hiding inside one of his happy memories, to materialize Zoar. But the cauldron part was lame and so was much of the dialogue.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Soooo is the Sorceress dead?
    Because if she is, wouldn't the Zoar-illusion have vanished instantly?
    I thought the same thing.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    More bad art.

More poor storytelling.

The only good thing about the book was the final frame.

I'll be happy when this series is over so the collector in my can save the couple of $$$ a month.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    I found the artwork to be quite uneven again. I did like the chamber where the sword was kept and that the Sorceress used Skeletor's mind, hiding inside one of his happy memories, to materialize Zoar. But the cauldron part was lame and so was much of the dialogue.
    I thought so too. Some of the drawings of Teela were just terrible. I too liked the chamber and the idea of Sorceress inhabiting Skeletor's mind. The cauldron part WAS lame. Totally agree.

And how about the battle with BC? How does he have claws out, teeth showing, thrashing people around... yet no one gets scratched up? I mean they're both half naked for crying out loud.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Nice planning by the bad-guys to keep Battle Cat right next to the Sword of Power, instead of hiding the Sword on the other side of Eternia surrounded by an army and in a booby-trapped metal box. Or something.

Art & dialogue sometimes good, sometimes bad. Plot continues to be embarrassing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Soooo is the Sorceress dead?
    Because if she is, wouldn't the Zoar-illusion have vanished instantly?
    I expect the Sorceress teleported a piece of her life-force into Zoar. Or soemthing.
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    Nice planning by the bad-guys to keep Battle Cat right next to the Sword of Power, instead of hiding the Sword on the other side of Eternia surrounded by an army and in a booby-trapped metal box. Or something.
    As much as I suspended my disbelief through most of this... yeah. Let's keep the sword of power in a place Adam can open, right underneath him.

Also, "Ha! No one can escape this pit of lukewarm fire unless... you know... they just jump out of it. Hey! No fair!"

Whatever, this was awesome. It had He-Man.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Whatever, this was awesome. It had He-Man.
    In another cruddy redesign...

That's really all it takes for you to call it awesome? That He-Man finally showed up?

This helps explain why they don't feel like they have to actually produce a quality product.

I truly wish my entertainment funny bone were as easily tickled.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I liked it, I guess I'm a weirdo.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I would have love this if it were before or during the 2002 myp cartoon. the timing for be is bad. I'm expecting a lot more from a motu comic. I feel cheated.
    the story is kinda ok & the art is hit & miss. the whole comic run is a hit & miss.
    I liked that the villains were bad ass & it was a bit darker & more suspenseful. but the image comics & mv creations comics were way way better. these comic did remind me of how a cartoon episode would play out. something you would see in a pirates of dark water or 20xx thundercat episode or something similar.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Heroic Warrior
    I actually kind of liked it - except for the silliness of the sword being kept right under Evil Lyn's lair. Though, I get the feeling (unlike it seems some others who have posted) that the "bad guys" didn't know that. That's what Skeletor has been looking for. That's why it wasn't "oh no, he's down the pit, he'll find the sword!" I have a feeling it may be explained away that it was part of the plan to save Eternia and that Zoar had been leading Adam that way the whole time as part of a "grand plan" of the Sorceress.

I will be interested to see if Sorceress is really dead or not - as I agree, I expected Zoar to suddenly disappear as well. Although I have a feeling that in issue 6 we may well find out she was, and Zoar survives with her "spirit" until they make Teela the next Sorceress.

Heroic Warrior
    I liked it as well. The art could have been better, but I have been liking this story all along. Looking forward to the big battle in issue #6!

Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    I actually kind of liked it - except for the silliness of the sword being kept right under Evil Lyn's lair. Though, I get the feeling (unlike it seems some others who have posted) that the "bad guys" didn't know that. That's what Skeletor has been looking for. That's why it wasn't "oh no, he's down the pit, he'll find the sword!" I have a feeling it may be explained away that it was part of the plan to save Eternia and that Zoar had been leading Adam that way the whole time as part of a "grand plan" of the Sorceress.

I will be interested to see if Sorceress is really dead or not - as I agree, I expected Zoar to suddenly disappear as well. Although I have a feeling that in issue 6 we may well find out she was, and Zoar survives with her "spirit" until they make Teela the next Sorceress.
    Yeah, noone seemed to mention that they'd seen the sword, and in volume 4 Adam mentioned it felt like they were being guided to the island, so it seems when Skeletors remade Eternia, Sorceress has sowehow been able to hide the sword.
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    This issue (and series) is awesome

I like the idea that you guys have thrown out there that the sorceress had hidden the sword there somehow
    10 Most Wanted MOTUC's: Ninjor, Quake, Squeeze, MYP King Mero, Sagitar, Dragstor, Snake Armor He-man, Phravus, Filmation's Garth (post transformation), Angella

Actually I thought it was amazing. I'm a huge comic fan and have seen a lot of bad art. A. Lot. But to me, this was not bad art. Sketchy and gestural in parts, but not bad. My only problem was the cauldron thing. I really didn't get it. Yeah, that could have been handled much, much better. And the battlecat scenes? It was great fun to see battlecat as real threat- like the bad guys see him. He's really terrifying. And as to the redesigns? I like 'em. Except for Trap-Jaw and Evil-Lyn. Merman comes off as the best for sure.

Heroic Warrior StraightEdgeHe-Man's Avatar
    Yea the art is good and most of the redesigns are good. Plus I'm really liking the story: the villians have been real threats and some of the heroes especially Battle Cat, I love reading about Adam figuring out his past and I'm always loving all the reveals you see, when villians and heroes show up, etc
    Last edited by StraightEdgeHe-Man; December 20, 2012 at 11:18am.
    10 Most Wanted MOTUC's: Ninjor, Quake, Squeeze, MYP King Mero, Sagitar, Dragstor, Snake Armor He-man, Phravus, Filmation's Garth (post transformation), Angella

Battlecat was incredibly well done IMO.
    Although I do agree, that with all those claws and teeth thrashing about, I'm amazed at how well Adam faired.
    Not that I'm one that needs to see a ton of blood or whatever, I'm just wishing there was a little more realism. It would've added more drama and more bang to the final page with the transformation, like becoming He-Man HEALED Adam... To show more contrast between the two, Adam being so small, and torn apart literally by BC, then BANG! HE-MAN!!!

All in all though I'm enjoying the series, and hope it continues. Especially if we can get MORE DAVE WILKINS COVERS!!!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Art sucked...my month old daughter poops better then that....

Anyway I liked the second half of the story..cant believe im saying this,but cant wait for the next issue
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightEdgeHe-Man View Post
    Yea the art is good and most of the redesigns are good. Plus I'm really liking the story: the villians have been real threats and some of the heroes especially Battle Cat, I love reading about Adam figuring out his past and I'm always loving all the reveals you see, when villians and heroes show up, etc
    I wish this series had been MORE of an introduction to the characters, with their main costumes and appearances doing things that they are famous for. This story reads more like something that should have happened as a mini-series companion to the regular title or maybe a story after the first year or so. We don't see the heroes regular "garb" until presumably the end of the mini. I hope readership doesn't drop off because the world of MOTU is too unfamiliar to the nostalgic casual fan. Some fans don't keep collecting and wait until the series gets better...

He-Man appearing at the end was wonderful. I can't wait until next issue since he's been held back for so long. Not only in this mini-series, but in the online stories too.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I felt a bit letdown by this issue because of the inconsistency in Teela being wounded/not-wounded and the contradictory writing where Evil-Lyn states that neither of them had shed a single drop of blood... yet Teela did in the last issue. So yeah, pretty sloppy stuff. And I'm not even a big comic person and I noticed the messy bits in this issue. That aside, I did like some of it- I didn't have a problem with Battle Cat guarding the sword, thought the stuff with the Sorceress was good, and I like the villains all being like "Oh crap, we REALLY screwed this one up and Skeletor's gonna kill us!" at the very end. Now let's see more characters and some better battles for the final issue.

I'd really like to know the name of that guy with the necklace who keeps ogling Teela. Is he a bad guy or just an islander bewitched like the heroes?

Also, anyone else notice that apparently Fedor was Randor all along! What a rotten spell, you can turn Randor into a bed-ridden old man but you let Adam be a lumberjack instead of a bug or a fat toddler or something? I now the red skull said that the villains were subconsciously trying to exact more satisfaction out of killing He-Man and that was effectively sabotaging their efforts, but Skeletor blundered the worst when he started this whole spell. Kind of a joke for him to keep saying "just slit his throat" to his underlings when he blew his own chance to do the same.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

I think as a beginning of a series this story is ok ,it's not great thing but it's ok.

I think is good they didn't do the typical story of the beginning as the first three 200x episodes for this regular series , this story could happen anywhere in the canon and then continue with new and better adventures.

I think the art in this regular series was really mediocre. I really wish Axel Guimenez involved in motu comics, currently working in the Smallville and injustice comics , I hope he has the chance, in fact I think he is close.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG