Thread: Battle Cat/Cringer in New Movie

Battle Cat/Cringer in New Movie

I just saw Life of Pi. It's a great movie in it's own right, but throughout my viewing I couldn't help but think about Battle Cat/Cringer. The tiger (hilariously named Richard Parker) in Life of Pi is done so incredibly well it gave me great hope that a life-like Battle Cat can be brought to the screen in a really believable way.

I know there's the great debate about whether he should talk or not, I'm not opening this thread to discuss that topic. I just wanted to direct attention to the tiger in Pi and ask what you other fans think of it and what your hopes for Battle Cat & Cringer are in a new movie. Can it be done realistically and without looking cheesy? Discuss.

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    It won't look as good unless the same amount of effort is put into it, and with so many other effects shots needed, best we can hope for is something a notch better than something out of the Narnia movies.

I dunno. I could easily live with Narnia quality, personally.

I'm more concerned about Battle Cat's portrayal than his appearance.

And what I mean is, I don't want him to talk.

Mow down innocent Eternian antelope equivalent? You got it! Switch from a loyal but cowardly Cringer to a ferocious and hardcore Battle Cat? Definitely. Roar dramatically? No doubt. Attack Evil Warriors and possibly an ally or two it mistakes for an enemy? Natch.

Talk? Please, spare me.

I agree. Steeds don't need to speak to prove their loyalty. Battlecat can still be very intelligent but he doesn't need to speak.

On a side note...

Life of Pi was an amazing film.

Oh, I'm all for speech. Done well, it could be amazing. But that's only if the movie sticks to a lighter Filmation tone -which I hope.
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by MLHumble View Post
    Oh, I'm all for speech. Done well, it could be amazing. But that's only if the movie sticks to a lighter Filmation tone -which I hope.

And I hope it doesn't stick to a Filmation style. I'm hoping for a pre-Filmation mini-comics style.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I would be happy either way. I just want a MOTU film with Battle-Cat and Panthor present! Speaking would just be a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I would be happy either way. I just want a MOTU film with Battle-Cat and Panthor present! Speaking would just be a bonus.
    Yeah, I could do either way too, I guess. Just don't think talking Cringer would work if the movie was more grim and serious in tone. But hey, prove me wrong! I would love that!
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    If they do it very stereotypicaly like Bay-formers, then it would be better for BattleCat to not speak.
    ..(better if no one talks at all, just grunting and then blow stuff up)

However, if you do it as a proper story, with character structure, then BattleCat exists to express the feeling that He-Man doesnt want to show outwardly.
    He-Man/Prince Adam is very strong both physicaly and emotionaly, but his Cringor is just strong physicaly.
    Where Adam will be driven forward by blind ambision, BattleCat would want to hide behind the piano, like my mom's cat used to do.

Expressing this fear is best done with talking. (or else really clever CG body language)

How about no Cringer at all? Just Battle Cat. Maybe have He-Man grow up with the cat in his jungle tribe, but when his great epic quest begins, his feline friend acquires some mystical armor from the same green goddess that presented He-Man with his iconic accoutrements.

So it would kinda be Cringer, but not actually given that name of "Cringer."
    "Everything comes to he who waits."