Thread: Custom figures and ideas.

Custom figures and ideas.

Just wanted to do a quick clearing of the air. I do not and have not copied any other customizers work out there. As we all know, customizers will eventually have similar concepts, as that is bound to happen. But after I showed my Battle Cat-Man and Panthor-Man recently I got the impression some thought I copied another customizers work. I never seen those pictures until someone posted them the other day and showed me.

Is it really that hard to believe that we can have similar ideas and eventually turn Battle Cat, Panthor, Screech, Zoar, and other creatures into "humanoid" type figures? For those who know me, I have made crossover and unique customs such as Mario, Sectaurs, Thundarr, and even Jason Voorhees in the world of MOTUC. And plus I write a bio for each figure I make, so I don't need to copy anyone's work.

Just wanted to make things clear that I have never copied any customizers work, and I never will.
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

Well said.
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Sssqueeze, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Peekablue, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Evil Seed (all era) w/Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Zargon View Post
    Well said.
    Thank you sir.

I must say the truth about this topic.
    Usually I do my customs based on my ideas, on my sketches and I normally don't sell my works.

When I see on this forum or others, a really good character made by other customizer, I do a copy for my collection. ( I Usually ask permission ).
    This isn't a bad thing in my view, because This means honoring the work of another guy.

I think that you are a good customizer and a very creative guy.
    And of course, more customizer can work on same ideas without know this.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    DRAGSTOR in MotUC
    ----------------------------------------------------

I totally agree with orsogranito. I Would be proud if someone would 'steal' some ideas /figures from me. It's the best compliment you can get.

I'm with all of the above. Getting copied is a form of flattering. At least, to me. I can't believe anybody getting upset over that. I was the first to make a Skelcon way back in the day and the first to make a Morc Rider. And I have seen many others (especially Skelcons - including a stunning carded one by joseephus) after that. It's been a joy seeing all of those and seeing how some actually made better versions of the figure(s) has been a blast. And who cares if people got inspired by seeing my custom and wanting one for themselves? Or if they got the idea by reading a vintage Ladybird MOTU book in which such a figure is featured? It's a shame some people seem to think they can 'claim' an idea, while actually all we MOTU customizers do is play with a universe that isn't even 'ours' to begin with.

As for Battle Cat as a humanoid, the idea is years old. Madthinker76 made one back in 2010 (here: http://jimsmash.blogspot.nl/2010/03/...lecat-man.html) and I haven't got the slightest doubt that joseephus' version is NOT inspired by this one. It's just same minded people having similar ideas. Same goes for me. I've been toying around with making Lord Dactys for a few years now (never got round to actually finishing him) and now Matty has come up with a MOTUC version. Should I get angry at them for stealing 'my' idea? Of course not! It's 'their' character!

Long story short, keep doing what you do joseephus. It's awesome!

I agree with everybody else.

Unless you are re-casting a customizers original sculpt (example re-casting TIN heads), concepts are open to everyone. A bunch of people repainted their Hordak Prime heads as I did, but thats a compliment and I would never suggest that anyone else could not do the same.
    Contact BadVermin for all your customs and repaints.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the support.

I've thought a Battle Cat-man style figure would have been awesome since I was kid, so I can totally see some of the same concepts being customized. In the end, its not a direct recast of an original sculpted work, than more power to you!
    God I hate Stratos.

It's all convergent evolution it is happening in the nature but could be applied to evolution of ideas in our mind.

I agree with all the above.
    It's a shame you feel like you have to defend your work Joseephus and I hope it doesn't affect your passion for upcoming works.

I only want to ad one thing to all the above. I'm a pretty new guy on the block when it comes to customizing and if I had to drop all characters that had been done before I began, it would be a short run except my own fantasy figures. Seeing customs like E-man's Skelcon and Morc Rider made me want learn how to customize. Guy's like Tyke made me want to learn how to split or re-band figures and I could go on and on. It would be a shame if we lose that kind of motivators and inspirators in the future because they feel they can't show anything because of prior customs that might look alike or have a simular base.
    Nope.... nothing here! Just a link to my site http://motumulder.webklik.nl/page/fotoalbum with customs!

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    an importaning thing of posting here is to share ideas, so other fellow orgers can take inspiration and also learn how to
    manage something they wish to do but don't know exactly how, well, at least in my opinion. but, as others already stated
    it's not so unbelieveble that different persons have similar ideas in the same moment, so...what's wrong with this?

keep on the good work, and keep sharing!