Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving! - Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 104 Discussion!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I definitely agree with Eamon's POV regarding detailing on the figures.
    Filmation designs look how they do for cost-effective animation purposes, pure and simple.
    And yes, Octavia has a great head sculpt, but there's like zero detail on her tunic and skin.
    How is that a cohesive look next to, say, Rattlor?
    Looking less human, more monstrous would improve her dramatically.

While I do understand how cool (and RARE!) it is to have someone like ET always being so sensitive to the needs of as many fans as possible, I think it's borderline ridiculous to question adding embellishments like Clamp Champ features. It's things like that where I wish the 4H could reinterpret the characters a little more as they see them rather than what expectations certain fans might have. That's not to say we should necessarily see more 200x design elements, but that they should feel less beholden to the source materials. I mean, imagine a MOTUC Battle Cat that was smooth with no fur detailing whatsoever, just because that would be "true to vintage"?

What else was talked about in this episode?
    OH YEAH!!!!!! 2-UPS!!!!!!!!

Maybe we should start a support thread for this or something, but I am absolutely behind this idea in any way, shape, or form. I honestly don't think they would need to run as high as $500, but I also don't think they need to be quite as monstrously huge as the NECA statues were to be really impressive either. I think it would be very worthwhile to look into all the different possible solutions for this, whether it be a rotocast vinyl thing, or whatever.

And while seeing some more existing 200x 2-ups to go with the NECA ones would definitely be cool, I'd also really love to see a totally new sub-line with completely new sculptures. I mean, think of what amazing possibilities there could be?! You could even up the "creating a scene" ante from the 200x statues and have a Zodac in his chair, or He-Man in the sword aloft pose, And like I say, these could be roughly 12" scale figures instead of 15" and still be awesome.

Look and feel-wise, what I would most want to see would be an approach that was totally disregarding any and all specific source material, and ignoring any and all tooling, articulation, parts reuse, or materials concerns, and just absolutely going for it like the NECA statues. But unlike those statues, which had to be stylistically compatible with the existing toy line (with the anime aspects inherent) these could totally be their own style. Which IMO would be great to see a no-holds-barred 200x level of detail and realism but fully-rooted in the design language of the vintage stuff including sculpture, design art, and packaging art, with the least amount (or total absence) of cartoony qualities.

Essentially, something along the lines of: George/Norem/Obrero/Alcala + Mark Taylor + Dave Wilkins + disproportionate amount of 4H style, and hold the Filmation please.

Great episode though guys! I realize that most of the time you guys wanna stay as current as possible, so it's usually all MOTUC all the time. But hearing bits and pieces of other stuff from Eric in this one got me thinking what a staggering amount of MotU stuff that has yet to be mined on the show, and what amazing discussions we should be in for down the road!
    Last edited by Lay Ze-Man; November 24, 2012 at 01:01pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Regarding the "plainness" of Filmation characters as toys vs vintage designs. I agree. However, there were toys that were released in the old line based on Filmation, like Orko and Sorceress, that maintained that detail-sparce aesthetic. Randor got a cheap repaint in the old line, as cool as the parts used may be.

I do wish they had more detail, but it's kinda interesting that they share the design approach of the vintage line in this way. And I finally have "my" Randor. :-)

Good episode guys.

I really don't mind the NA characters reusing the Trap Jaws legs as its a good match for them in most cases. I just want more NA characters

I also agree others that the Filmation characters could be Classicized more.

I have a few questions for Eric if your asking for them

Back in RGD Ep84 Scott said the 4HM had sculpted a Kulatak, now we saw a Kulatak sketch at SDCC one year but I believe this was the first we've heard about a sculpt. Val you said in the thread for that Ep you could ask Eric for more clarification about this next time he's on the show. Ask away please mate

Also it was in this episode the 4HM did not design the 200x Castle Grayskull, it was done in-house at Mattel. So my next question is did the 4HM ever do a sketch for a 200x Castle Grayskull like they did for characters? If so any chance of seeing it please?
    I'd also love to see pic's of any of the 2-up's we've not seen before. Has anybody got pics of the 2-up's the 4HM had at power con this year?
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one
    HE-MAN UK Adventure Magazine #26

Great episode as usual!

I enjoyed hearing Eric talk about his simultaneous excitement and apprehension with sculpting Castle Grayskull. It's going to be EPIC!

Sounds like a ton of great stuff in the pipeline, LONG LIVE MOTUC!
    Subscribe now for MOTUC 2015! Every sub counts!

I think a MAA version of Clamp Champ could be him in a blue mech body like the green on Snake MAA, and then give him silver and gray MAA armor.
    This could give 200x and movie fans their silver MAA armor we've been asking for, for a while now.
    Give him a new helmeted head, some new weapons and you've got a cool variant IMO.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

In response to Eamon wondering why Geldor was the minicomic character who won the vote:

When we had the Masks of Power Demons in the vote, many German fans decided to vote for the green one so the votes wouldn't be divided between both. Most fans wanted both demons at once though, so some didn't want to take the risk that Mattel might not get to do the purple demon in time if the green one won. And the others would just prefer the demons offered in a 2-pack period.
    As for Lodar, many fans didn't know about him as kids, because the "Slave City" comic wasn't printed in German. Add to that the rumors at that time that Lodar was going to be released sooner than later anyway, and you can see why he didn't make the list.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

awesome show - thanks! ...

even though i'm not a fan of POP - i think octavia looks awesome!!!
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I think a MAA version of Clamp Champ could be him in a blue mech body like the green on Snake MAA, and then give him silver and gray MAA armor.
    This could give 200x and movie fans their silver MAA armor we've been asking for, for a while now.
    Give him a new helmeted head, some new weapons and you've got a cool variant IMO.
    Great idea!!

One thing I gotta add:

I LOVE how often Dragstor's been mentioned on RGD lately! Awesome!!!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Speaking of Dragstor, as well as the discussion of the Trap Jaw legs, I REALLY hope they don't decide to use the Trap Jaw upper legs on Dragstor for those silver vent-like things on his legs. That, to me, would be taking the lazy way out as opposed to making a unique sculpt for his legs. I'm not the happiest that Karatti is using the TJ legs but can accept it, but will be very disappointed if Dragstor gets the same treatment.