Thread: MOTU Casting Call 02: Man-E-Faces

MOTU Casting Call 02: Man-E-Faces

Man-E-Faces is one of the most beloved Defenders of Eternia, be it for his unusual look, quirky power or gimmicky action feature, the bully turned hero, the greatest actor in Eternia deserves a starring role in the MOTU movie. The 200X version saw a Man-E-Faces with a far more practical use for his powers. If properly executed, a movie version of the 3 faced, multiple personality warrior could bring a whole new appreciate to the character.

I enjoyed seeing Man-E-Faces having an actual use for his robotic and monstrous alternates, something that could be even further explored in the movie, showing him as an expert marksman in battle via his keen robotic sensors. Should he become overwhelmed by goons, he transforms into a hulking version, powering up similar to Bane in Batman via a supercharged chemical adrenaline, allowing him to go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters.

The actor chosen to play Man-E-Faces may not be the greatest actor in the world, but he could be a fan pleaser all the same. Here are my suggestions for the hunky true blue Eternian.

Kellan Lutz, muscled, hunky and no stranger to sci-fi and fantasy, Kellan is actually an under appreciated young star who would be the next Chris Evans, and fan boys love Chris Evans. Though he has been married to the Twilight franchise for some time now, he is a capable actor with potential.
    NOTABLE CREDITS
    2008 Twilight
    2009 The Twilight Saga: New Moon
    2010 A Nightmare on Elm Street
    2010 The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
    2011 A Warrior's Heart
    2011 Immortals
    2011 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1
    2012 The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2

Paul Bettany has a very impressive resume, and seems to take on a variety of projects. He is an accomplished actor and would fit well into the role, and possibly another role in an MOTU movie. Paul is a chameleon, and could take on virtually any character. He also seems to have some clout in Hollywood, and if his name was attached to the project, it might bring in a larger audience.
    NOTABLE CREDITS
    2003 Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
    2004 Wimbledon
    2006 Firewall
    2006 The Da Vinci Code
    2008 Inkheart
    2009 Creation
    2010 Legion
    2011 Priest

Hugh Jackman could just be the best man for the job. From Broadway and starring in blockbuster comic related movies, Hugh is everything we need in Man-E-Faces. He can sing, he can dance, he can throw punches, leap from balconies and doesn't mind getting messy in his roles. He has a lot of star power, and I could easily see him donning the costume. If Hugh were to cast as Perkaedo, I would probably be looking forward to his face time over whatever rippling mound of muscle they cast to play He-Man.
    NOTABLE CREDITS
    2000 X-Men
    2001 Swordfish
    2003 X2
    2004 Van Helsing
    2006 The Prestige
    2006 The Fountain
    2006 X-Men: The Last Stand
    2008 Australia
    2009 X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Joe Manganiello is tall, build like a line backer, and enjoying fast growing popularity. He could be another great choice for Man-E-Faces. He loves to do comic cons, take on roles in nerdy movies, and is quite versatile, despite his current hunk status. You can watch him running around next to naked as Alcid in Tru Blood. His body is amazing, and his acting chops are pretty decent. Its very easy to imagine him suited up, his snarling voice run through a voice changer when he transforms into the beast If Hugh Jackman isn't available, he just might be my second choice.
    NOTABLE CREDITS
    2002 Spider-Man
    2008 Impact Point
    2009 Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia
    2010-2012 Tru Blood
    2012 What to Expect When You're Expecting
    2012 Magic Mike
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; November 23, 2012 at 02:52am.

Heroic Warrior
    I could see Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson fitting this role nicely.

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    For me, he's a background character. Would be cool o give him a cameo though, and have someone in the role as fanboy service...off the top of my head, maybe Billy Crudup or Nathan Fillion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylde Weezle View Post
    For me, he's a background character. Would be cool o give him a cameo though, and have someone in the role as fanboy service...off the top of my head, maybe Billy Crudup or Nathan Fillion.
    I could see Fillion filling the role. Not sure about Crudup, though he is a good actor. On second thought, I think I would prefer Crudup to Fillion.

Ron Pearlman, he is the voice and make-up actor that this role would require to be done right

- - - Updated - - -

Ron Pearlman, he is the voice and make-up actor that this role would require to be done right

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Rob Schneider.

No real reason. Just trolling. I'm not even a Rob S fan.
    I thought you would have something positive to contribute. Why would you troll my thread?

What about Ray Stevenson ?
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    What about Ray Stevenson ?
    When I saw "Thor," I thought he'd make a pretty decent Fisto. Hey, if we probably won't get Hemsworth, why not? I'm looking forward to seeing what he does as Cobra's saboteur Firefly; I'm already a fan from his work on Dexter and his movie "Kill the Irishman." Good choice for Man E Faces or even something bigger like Duncan or Randor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wylde Weezle View Post
    When I saw "Thor," I thought he'd make a pretty decent Fisto. Hey, if we probably won't get Hemsworth, why not? I'm looking forward to seeing what he does as Cobra's saboteur Firefly; I'm already a fan from his work on Dexter and his movie "Kill the Irishman." Good choice for Man E Faces or even something bigger like Duncan or Randor.
    Yeah, he would be great for those characters as well. He has this 'seasoned warrior' look and natural charisma that makes him a perfect fit for the MOTU world.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Heroic Warrior
    Bryan Cranston? World weariness, automaton emotion, monstrous rage and clownishness in one guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gragar View Post
    Bryan Cranston? World weariness, automaton emotion, monstrous rage and clownishness in one guy.
    While I like Bryan Cranston as Walk on Breaking Bad, there is a huge age/muscle mass discrepancy that would not allow him to fit well into this role. I'll take Kellan thanks.

Wow- what a weird character to cast. It's not perfect, but I'll throw out: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister). He would make a good supporting Master. Play up the 'actor-ness' of Man-E. Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by MLHumble View Post
    Wow- what a weird character to cast. It's not perfect, but I'll throw out: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister). He would make a good supporting Master. Play up the 'actor-ness' of Man-E. Maybe?
    He looks like he could work.

Quote Originally Posted by cronosred View Post
    I could see Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson fitting this role nicely.
    Man-e-Faces himself being An actor, the Rock really is probably a bit one sided!
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by karg182 View Post
    Man-e-Faces himself being An actor, the Rock really is probably a bit one sided!
    is 1 sided a nice way of saying stupid? i think some orgers just want the movie to be WWE stars dressed in MOTU costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gragar View Post
    i love breaking bad. its awesome. dont know how you look at this scrawny old guy and see Man-E-Faces?
    Last edited by Angry-Calligar; December 29, 2012 at 03:44am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry-Calligar View Post
    is 1 sided a nice way of saying stupid? i think some orgers just want the movie to be WWE stars dressed in MOTU costumes.
    Because Man-E-Faces will no doubt play such an important role in a Masters of the Universe film he will have to be portrayed by an Oscar winning actor.

Because Man-E-Faces will no doubt play such an important role in a Masters of the Universe film he will have to be portrayed by an Oscar winning actor.
    So by your logic, all supporting characters in movies do not need to be in the least bit talented? Casting agents can default to wrestlers? In the Dark Knight movies, Alfred was a supporting role. He could have been Honky Tonky Man (I remember that from the 80s) or maybe Rowdy Rod.

People are entitled to their own opinions, however wrestlers are not the go guys for action movies. I cannot recall a single wrestler in a successful action movie that garnered any acclaim from fans and critics. That is not to say that they haven't been in movies that made a few bucks, but why do we have to settle for mediocre? Personally, I'd like a little more for MOTU, so it isn't sent to the $5 DVD bin a month after its released and forgotten about.

A well made film with longevity would be preferred over a cheese fest, peppered with wrestlers that will further besmirch a brand already known for its lows. We won't get that if wrestlers are involved. So why don't you suggest someone?
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; December 30, 2012 at 02:46pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I can't imagine Man-E-Faces would ever be as important in a Masters film as Alfred was in the Batman films. I suggested an actor who was once a wrestler for a role that I think would mesh well with his personality and would be no more than a glorified cameo at best if he even makes it into the film, that does not mean I want random wrestlers cast in every role. Also I'm surprised your hate for the "talentless" Dwayne Johnson yet have said nothing about Kellan Lutz being suggested.

I could see Man-E-Faces playing a reasonably sized role. After all, MOTU is partially built on a wealth of supporting characters, and a lot of them, especially the earlier characters like Man-E-Faces, have really interesting characterizations and back stories.

I'd sure like to see a Man-E-Faces whose primary role is as an actor, or a court entertainer or something, since that was his original role before Skeletor transformed him. He's also supposed to be a very handsome guy, so I might like to go for a pretty boy. Who that would be, I couldn't really say, but certainly not a pro wrestler.

I can't imagine Man-E-Faces would ever be as important in a Masters film as Alfred was in the Batman films. I suggested an actor who was once a wrestler for a role that I think would mesh well with his personality and would be no more than a glorified cameo at best if he even makes it into the film, that does not mean I want random wrestlers cast in every role. Also I'm surprised your hate for the "talentless" Dwayne Johnson yet have said nothing about Kellan Lutz being suggested.
    I don't 'hate' Dwayne Johnson. I actually think he is quite handsome, and he has made a film career out of making fun of himself and his WWE persona. He seems to work well in fluffy, forgettable kiddie films, and action films. This is not what I want for MOTU, and it seems others feel the same way.

Dwayne would probably be at the absolute top of the wrestler pile for choices to pick up a spot in an MOTU movie, however there are still hundreds, perhaps thousands of better choices out there.

As for Kellan Lutz, I suggested him myself. So why would I have an issue with him?
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 2, 2013 at 02:04am.

In my opinion the possiblity of who should be cast could be literally anyone. This is a character that I can't imagine would follow the story of being the court thespian. Seems trivial and most viewers would be confused by such a strange backstory unless it was explained.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    In my opinion the possiblity of who should be cast could be literally anyone. This is a character that I can't imagine would follow the story of being the court thespian. Seems trivial and most viewers would be confused by such a strange backstory unless it was explained.
    If Man-E-Faces did make an appearance in the MOTU movie, I doubt he would be sharing a courtroom performance with Orko at Adam's birthday. Worked for the cartoon, wouldn't exactly work onscreen. However that is not to say that his 5 minutes of screen time couldn't be amazing, and thus, requires a decent actor.

You watch enough movies and you will find that celebrities who have impressive resumes take very minor parts in movies. Sometimes its very odd to see them there. Its called a cameo role. If Man-E-Faces is only cameo worthy, it would be great to make it memorable.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; January 27, 2013 at 02:24am.