Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issues with the new film

To WhipTastic:
    Ignoring the Bay Transformers themselves for a moment (because, really, that's an entirely separate poor design/ignoring theoretical physics issue), the films are so poorly written as to be laughable anyway. The first movie alone has plot holes you could drive a convoy through. Sure, Bay claimed that he was attempting "realism", I'm not arguing that. He can claim anything he wants. Executing it is an entirely different enchilada.

What Bay ends up doing is appealing to the more juvenile areas of the mind by rewarding the primitive parts of his viewer's brains with brightly lit explosions and loud noises so as to cover for the fact that he tells the viewers one thing (this is a more realistic look at transformers!), but proceeds to do something else (but I know nothing about the military, or computers, or physics, or space, or engineering! Ignore that my realism looks a lot like ignorance and look at Megan Fox bounce in front of shiny explosions!). That seems to be his entire movie strategy in a nutshell. Realism requires reality which very few movie studios have the time or money to provide (also, there is the "reality is unrealistic" angle which is a whole other kettle of fish). Instead of focusing on something he couldn't provide, he should have just run with the "modern mythic" angle (ala Ghostbusters, perhaps) and all would have been well (and probably made a whole lot more sense).

Too strong an emphasis on "realism" sets the movie up for failure (technology dates itself quickly, for one) and it's another reason I laugh at Bay's attempts. He's like a kid dressed up in his dad's uniform, thinking that makes him a soldier. Some people can indulge him. I can't. That's not what I want for MOTU. I want the new MOTU to be a classic.
    ---

And I hope they aren't, Adam. Used less, yes, but not jettisoned.
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

The problem with the transformation from Adam to He-Man is too much like when Billy Batson turns into Captain Marvel. It is standard 70s/80s super-hero cliche that happened often. Yes, it's what a lot of people remember from the cheesey Filmation show, but that does not mean it has to be used.

BUT, it seems that John Cho is a Filmation fan. So I think you Adam fans can rejoice that you will probably see a live-action adaptation of the Filmation show. The designs will be updated and cool, I'm sure, but there will be Prince Adam, Eternos palace, Captain Teela of the guard, bumbling ineffective henchmen, etc. that was the hallmark of that series. And to me that sucks.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. Moved from El Paso, TX
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    BUT, it seems that John Chu is a Filmation fan. So I think you Adam fans can rejoice that you will probably see a live-action adaptation of the Filmation show. The designs will be updated and cool, I'm sure, but there will be Prince Adam, Eternos palace, Captain Teela of the guard, bumbling ineffective henchmen, etc. that was the hallmark of that series. And to me that sucks.
    I'm following closely what he's been doing with the GI Joe sequel. He's definitely a fellow fanboy, but he took a lot from the more serious Marvel comics. Seeing as how he was 5 going on 6 in 1985 - yeah, he'll probably take a lot of cues from the Filmation stuff, but hopefully as with GI Joe he'll look at some of the more recent as well. I'm with the camp that only needs to see one transformation - if it's permanent, I'm 100% behind that. If we're going with the tired, played out secret identity stuff hopefully it's written well as in Nolan's Batman movies.

I reckon the film will basically build up to Adam’s one and only transformation sequence. I think having multiple transformation sequences will cheapen the effect. It will be the money-shot of the entire film. Or at least it should be. But yes, I can see only one occurring. It will come during the final battle or close to. Even then, I don’t really see it as a “physical” transformation, but rather an “internal” one. However, because the incantation and transformation sequence is so important to and recognisable as MOTU I can definitely see the transformation looking true to what we are all used to. So, I can see lightning bolts, sparkles and the works, but I just don’t see it as being physical in nature.

Regarding Jon Chu. As has been said, he comes across as a genuine fanboy. Compare the visual aesthetic of the first GI Joe film to the sequel. Look at Cobra Commander. Last month during Thanksgiving he even posted a picture of a Battle Armour Skeletor figure that he found “at home”. Presumably he was referring to his parent’s house.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post

Regarding Jon Chu. As has been said, he comes across as a genuine fanboy. Compare the visual aesthetic of the first GI Joe film to the sequel. Look at Cobra Commander. Last month during Thanksgiving he even posted a picture of a Battle Armour Skeletor figure that he found “at home”. Presumably he was referring to his parent’s house.
    Yeah, I follow him on Twitter and saw that pic of BA Skeletor. Someone then tweeted him a video of Filmation Skeletor to which he responded at how awesome it was. He's definitely a Filmation fan. Bummer.

I just hope there's not too much cheese. I won't go see it if there is. I'm not going to spend money and waste my time at being ticked off over my favorite franchise ever.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior Eternian-King Paul's Avatar
    Story, is the easiest and cheapest thing.

I grandly theorize that hollywood has it in mind to convince people that only they can make movies, (with an unobvious emphasis on 'their production company' being better than another), and it is so much so that they make crappy movies to prove no one outside of hollywood ,,could have made such crap.

..oh, zombie appocolipse.