Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "GRAYSKULL" (He-Man movie) lands a new writer

"GRAYSKULL" (He-Man movie) lands a new writer

Hollywood Reporter:
    'Grayskull' lands new writer
    Rookie scribe Evan Daugherty comes aboard He-Man project

Warner Bros. and Silver Pictures have tapped newcomer Evan Daugherty to pen the latest draft of "Grayskull," the studio's big-screen take on Mattel's "Masters of the Universe" cartoon and toy line.

John Stevenson ("Kung Fu Panda") is attached to direct the adaptation of the show, which followed a blond warrior named Prince Adam who, when uttering the magic words, "By the power of Grayskull -- I have the power," turned into the heroic He-Man. He and his allies -- Battle Cat, Man-at-Arms and Orko -- defended their planet Eternia from the evil forces of Skeletor, who tried week after week to conquer the fortress Castle Grayskull, which imbued He-Man with his powers.

Warners sees the big-screen version as a gritty fantasy and reimagines Adam as a soldier who sets off to find his destiny, happening upon the magical world of Eternia. There, Skeletor has raised a technological army and is bent on eradicating magic.

Justin Marks penned the previous draft.

Landing "Grayskull" is a huge coup for Daugherty, whose only writing credit is the unproduced screenplay "Shrapnel." Daugherty wrote the script -- a character-driven psychological thriller about two mortal enemies on a hunting trip to the death -- to earn an NYU film-school grant. He was living at his parents' home at the time and paying bills by doing freelance video editing.

Daugherty didn't get the grant but entered an obscure screenwriting contest called Script Pimp, where he caught the attention of Jake Wagner of management firm Energy Entertainment. The script made the Hollywood rounds and landed on the Black List, while Daugherty moved to Los Angeles to pursue his writing career.

Daugherty additionally is repped by UTA.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...3bd0bb5a8352f8

On one hand I am kinda happy with this because, although there were some great things in the last script, but There were too many things that turned it way off for me.

Randor Dying, Adam Growing up to be He-Man vs Transformation. Zodac training Adam to be He-Man also the fact the script had a feel of some generic Medevil Movie.

On the other hand this guy is a Newbie and could do even worse

Warners sees the big-screen version as a gritty fantasy and reimagines Adam as a soldier who sets off to find his destiny, happening upon the magical world of Eternia. There, Skeletor has raised a technological army and is bent on eradicating magic.

I seriously hope this is not the case! Isn't this part of the story originally written by Adam rifkin, who wanted Adam to be a soldier wandering the dessert in Iraq who just stumbles throught a portal. It's seriously lame... but this rumour just won't die!
    Last edited by Angel-T; May 13, 2009 at 02:44am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Is this for real?!?!

Don't re-imagine anything! We've got the source material. Follow it & it'll be fine.
    Adam, prince of Eternia, Fabulous powers are revealed to him when the Sorceress bestows that power sword which he holds aloft & says, "By the power of Grayskull, I... have... the POWER!!!" The evil forces of Skeletor are trying to conquer Eternia while trying to obtain the power of Grayskull. That's the story we've had for over 20 years. Just use it Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post

I seriously hope this is not the case! Isn't this part of the story originally written by Adam rifkin, who wanted Adam to be a soldier wandering the dessert in Iraq who just stumbles throught a portal. It's seriously lame... but this rumour just won't die!
    I wouldn't worry about this, these journalists generally go with the last thing that they've heard, we've all read that the marks script has nothing to do with the rifkin one, and the marks one is the ddraft they accepted. check other entertainment stories they don't get the facts as right as they should. Remember the details of the marks script never seemed to get out to media outlets, but the details of the rifkin script did. I guarantee you that none of them even know there's a current MOTU toyline being sold and most of them have no clue that we had one this decade.

As of now let's just see this as a positive, a new writr on board for a second draft - that means PROGRESS!
    Last edited by krosfyah; May 13, 2009 at 07:20am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    Is this for real?!?!

Don't re-imagine anything! We've got the source material. Follow it & it'll be fine.
    Adam, prince of Eternia, Fabulous powers are revealed to him when the Sorceress bestows that power sword which he holds aloft & says, "By the power of Grayskull, I... have... the POWER!!!" The evil forces of Skeletor are trying to conquer Eternia while trying to obtain the power of Grayskull. That's the story we've had for over 20 years. Just use it Hollywood.
    I think the problem here is that's only one of the stories we've had for over 20 years.

But I have to agree, Adam being a soldier who eventually becomes He-man is one thing, but Adam being a soldier from another planet who ends up on Eternia through a portal is really god awful whether you're a fan or not.

Although revolving most of the movie around Earth in '87 was a very smart move, I can't think of a single reason why they would need to do that nowadays. Seems quite the cop out.

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    I'm sure the "soldier" tag line is something that they've had laying around. Remember, that's been attached to the film for HOW long, and with Marks' script, that wasn't the case at all. Besides, the new guy will probably come in and change most, if not all, of it.
    -But THIS MEANS THE FILM IS MOVING FORWARD AND THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!
    I love it when a plan comes together.

Court Magician
    I am so sick of all this re imagining crap. LEAVE it alone. What made MOTU so good and popular was the way it was presented in the beggining.

Skeletor IS MAGIC. PERIOD.

I want an Enternia full of magic and myth and LEGENDS. Thats what made Grayskull so mysterious was knowing it was truely magic and powerful, but not really know where it got its power, how much power it had and that skeletor was hell bent on getting its power to make his magic and power the greatest.

I HATE THIS SOILDER AND SKELETOR HATES MAGIC. Mattel, stop messing with things. Just hire someone who gets what MOTU is all about. Dont make another embarrassing 87 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPSHayes View Post
    I'm sure the "soldier" tag line is something that they've had laying around. Remember, that's been attached to the film for HOW long, and with Marks' script, that wasn't the case at all. Besides, the new guy will probably come in and change most, if not all, of it.
    -But THIS MEANS THE FILM IS MOVING FORWARD AND THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!
    no one seems to be listening to us.

maybe someone should highlight in red in the first post that the reporter's info regarding the storyline is outdated so fans don't get riled up over something we got riled up over quite a while ago prior to getting riled up over the newest (officially commissioned) take.

FOR THE RECORD FOLKS! Warner Bros optioned the Justin Marks script NOT the Rifkin "soldier from earth, techno-ravaged Eternia script. so let's not worry about an old storyline that ISN'T BEING USED not to mention people seem to be glossing over the fact that they hired a NEW wiriter for a second draft of the JUSTIN MARKS script which has nothing to do with the Rifkin soldier from earth/magic hating skeletor script, which means the elements of the Marks script will be changing. so there is hope for those who hated that script to get more that they liked in it. this is a sign of hope people, SMILE!
    Last edited by krosfyah; May 13, 2009 at 08:45am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    Is this for real?!?!

I agree, thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    no one seems to be listening to us.

maybe someone should highlight in red in the first post that the reporter's info regarding the storyline is outdated so fans don't get riled up over something we got riled up over quite a while ago prior to getting riled up over the newest (officially commissioned) take.

FOR THE RECORD FOLKS! Warner Bros optioned the Justin Marks script NOT the Rifkin "soldier from earth, techno-ravaged Eternia script. so let's not worry about an old storyline that ISN'T BEING USED not to mention people seem to be glossing over the fact that they hired a NEW wiriter for a second draft of the JUSTIN MARKS script which has nothing to do with the Rifkin soldier from earth/magic hating skeletor script, which means the elements of the Marks script will be changing. so there is hope for those who hated that script to get more that they liked in it. this is a sign of hope people, SMILE!
    Exactly. High five!

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Evan is the second person in the photo. Will be interesting to see where this one goes. Not sure how I feel about the movie being named "Grayskull".

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Evan is the second person in the photo. Will be interesting to see where this one goes. Not sure how I feel about the movie being named "Grayskull".

Well, he won some kind of award, so that's a good sign!

Glad the Marks script got dropped, but I seriously hope this newb doesn't do even worse.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I just hope that they don't go with the "Simba Begins" angle... "Skeletor killed my parents, now I got to train hard and become what Eternia's evil elements fear the most... A blonde bodybuilder/crusader with furry shorts! A He-Man..."
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyPSHayes View Post
    Exactly. High five!
    back atcha!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I like it being named Grayskull: Masters of the universe as the Marks script was. as of what I last read they are going to establish Grayskull, the powers and why it's so important along with establishing he-man and the skeletor conflict. if done right it will be epic. kind of a neat way to reverse the way sequels are done, Horde: Masters of the Universe etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Glad the Marks script got dropped, but I seriously hope this newb doesn't do even worse.
    the script isn't dropped, the MArks script IS the optioned script. the new writer is on board to give a second draft, which means go over the old and write over or add stuff that the director and producers think will work better. most likely he's there to find a way to fit orko into the mix. (if done right Orko is great for marketing and licensing, if done wrong he's another Jar Jar.) That all being said the Marks script may be completely rewritten by the time the movie comes out, but as of now that is the basic structure they are going with, a lot will most likely change, but that is what they are working from now.

Fear is faith in failure

the script isn't dropped, the MArks script IS the optioned script. the new writer is on board to give a second draft, which means go over the old and write over or add stuff that the director and producers think will work better. most likely he's there to find a way to fit orko into the mix. (if done right Orko is great for marketing and licensing, if done wrong he's another Jar Jar.) That all being said the Marks script may be completely rewritten by the time the movie comes out, but as of now that is the basic structure they are going with, a lot will most likely change, but that is what they are working from now.
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
    no problem, as industry folks on this board said when the marks draft was leaked, it was the first draft and usually movies are NEVER like their first drafts. even the shooting script changes during filming. I think with Stevenson on board to direct it's going to be lighter than the initial draft - not lighter in a campy/corny/cheesy way, but a little less bloody and probably a lower body count. They do want to franchise this this that means accessibility to most kids coupled with making it legit for the adult audience, not impossible and I think easy enough to do, but easy enough to foul up as well. So it's too early to worry IMO, a good time to celebrate that action is happening. we can sweat with more justification when we see start seeing production stills or at the earliest cast announcements.
    Last edited by krosfyah; May 13, 2009 at 10:29am.

Fear is faith in failure

I think this is great news And it doesn't bother me in the slightest that this writer is the new guy on the block.

we can sweat with more justification when we see start seeing production stills or at the earliest cast announcements.
    Maxine Peake just dd a backflip, now that she may get more screen time / not die in the movie.

Just a little joke. I know she was never confirmed.

This is good news. I hope that Justin Marks' crap gets rewritten thoroughly. Just look at what Marks did with "The Legend of Chun Li," possibly the worst movie of the year so far. May the force be with Evan Daugherty!
    He-Man ima duge kose plave, He-Man ima začarani mač,
    He-Man ima tigra pa ga jaše, He-Man dobro čarobnicu znaaa...

- Ancient Croatian folk song

sfcentar.geek.hr

Man! I forgot that Marks was responsible for SF:TLoChL... Hopefully the MOTU movie will head on a better direction storywise...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I just hope this dosen't turn into a piece of crap like Dragon Ball. Now that sucked IMO. I liked the first Masters movie but watching it now I have to laugh at it. I hope it stays as far away from Earth as possible and stays where it belongs Eternia.
    JD

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Glad things are still moving with this film. I did like the majority of the JM script and the ideas he had, but I think it needs something more - I would like to see Orko! and less deaths in the film

STAY with the original story line.....FFS dont mess this up!
    I really hope someone with influence read these posts! Messing up the epic tale that worked for nearly 30 years...i really dont see the respect in that!

COMEON HOLLYWOOD.....use your heads!
    Evil Heroic Norwegian