Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyber Monday questions answered!

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar

Cyber Monday questions answered!

Hey gang,

I clarified a little over on Matty.com's forums but to reitterate some hot issues:

1: Due to an error, for a very limited time the CM discounts were being applied to Castle Grayskull preorders. We have corrected this and any orders placed this morning will be corrected to full price and those customers will be contacted and given option to cancel. No discouts apply to the Castle.

2: Selection is always best on the first day, prices often the best on the last day. Please keep this in mind. While we didn't have as many sell outs over the weekend, your best bet for the best selection is on day 1 of the sale

3: We do have a very tiny amount of CastleGraykull Man for sub holders and those who bought on Nov 15th. If you bought him on Black Friday you are only able to get a refund. No replacements.

4: This is definately last call on all the 30th figures. (Photog through CGM). They will never be offered again.

5: Pretty much all of our stock will be up today. If a fig is not up it is "most likely" he or she is gone for good. Their could be some exceptions, but since fans have been asking who is "gone for good" this should help. Also, come 2013 we will have VERY few day of older figures. We are looking to start 2013 with low inventory to make way for all the awesomeness coming through next year. If you want any older figures, today's sale will be one of your last chances (if not THE last) chance to get these figs. After that it is new figures and the few "evergreen" figs we still have left. These are also rapidly depleating.

Things can and do change, all prices, figures and availabilty subject to change (including everything noted above). But I wanted to advise on this in case anyone is on the fence on older figures, especially the 6 (now 5) 30th figures. If you want to add these awesome figs to your collection, head over to Mattycollector.com before 11:59 Pacific today.

Scott

Thank you!

Just to clarify...the sale (BF & CM) ENDS tonight at 11:59pm (PST)?

That is simply BAD BUSINESS ETHICS!
    Give people a discount (even if it was by accident) and then not honor it! VERY POOR BUSINESS ETHICS. PERIOD.

How does your company consider that even remotely ethical?
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

Thanks for the update! Do you have any idea of a time frame for when these ppl should expect calls TG? after cyber monday middle of next month? or today?

That way they can make themselves available to be speak with C.S. reps.

Besides from the ethics it is not allowed. The sale has been made and the discount is not disproportioned enough to validate cancel from one side.
    Maybe you should check with legal first, TG.
    Otherwise, i would like to cancel my 2013 subscription. Oh wait, I can't....

Quote Originally Posted by General Hawk 7 View Post
    Give people a discount (even if it was by accident) and then not honor it! VERY POOR BUSINESS ETHICS. PERIOD.

So because the DR had a mistake on it and they corrected it, it's unethical? It's not fair to get mad at them because you can no longer capitalize on an error. I know it's frustrating not to get those extra savings, but come on folks.

DR has made plenty of mistakes. But two wrongs don't make a right. The mistakes of the past shouldn't be used to validate one that was caught and corrected. Besides, think of all the fans who preordered as full price. It's not fair to them for new preorders to be discounted.

Thanks for the update about the 15% CG error and letting us know it will be corrected. It wouldn't have been fair to the rest of us that helped make Castle Grayskull a reality.
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    So because the DR had a mistake on it and they corrected it, it's unethical? It's not fair to get mad at them because you can no longer capitalize on an error. I know it's frustrating not to get those extra savings, but come on folks.
    Well...I see what you're saying, but...
    If I go to a store and something is labeled wrong, 99% of the time, you'll get it for the price it was marked. It's the store/company's error...not the consumers.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    No offense, but that is ridiculous. You dont sell someone to someone and then after they pay you say, "Oh, sorry, you have to pay more for it if you want to keep it now". Tell me WHERE else does that? Because neither you nor I would shop there, would we.
    If I sold you something you sent me paypal and then I said...oh wait, Im sorry, I was supposed to be $25 more than what I charged you... you would not consider that bad business? Yeah, right.
    A store is supposed to HONOR their pricing. Mistake or not. That is business ethics.

And I believe the Better Business Bureau will agree.
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:

Find me on Facebook!

This is Mattel we are talking about. Is it surprising?

Ive worked in customer service for many years. If there is an error in pricing, you honor the advertised price and suck up the error. That's just how it goes. Even if the customer is a screaming jerk that you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Thanks for the update about the 15% CG error and letting us know it will be corrected. It wouldn't have been fair to the rest of us that helped make Castle Grayskull a reality.

Since when has toy collecting or the selling of products ever been about fairness?
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; November 26, 2012 at 02:38pm.

- - - Updated - - -

No offense, but that is ridiculous. You dont sell someone to someone and then after they pay you say, "Oh, sorry, you have to pay more for it if you want to keep it now". Tell me WHERE else does that? Because neither you nor I would shop there, would we.
    If I sold you something you sent me paypal and then I said...oh wait, Im sorry, I was supposed to be $25 more than what I charged you... you would not consider that bad business? Yeah, right.
    A store is supposed to HONOR their pricing. Mistake or not. That is business ethics.

Exactly!
    Here in the Netherlands it isnt even allowed by law. I can't imagine US does not have the same law.

I made the 30th sub happen with the other subscribers. People were able to buy all figures during the sale. That would have saved me 30% on price, shipping, etc.

Do I complain about that? No, and I dont even have my Grayskullman yet. Lets hope tere are QC issues..
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; November 26, 2012 at 02:41pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    4: This is definately last call on all the 30th figures. (Photog through CGM). They will never be offered again.
    If you want any older figures, today's sale will be one of your last chances (if not THE last) chance to get these figs. After that it is new figures and the few "evergreen" figs we still have left. These are also rapidly depleating.
    So if there's stock left over, are you just going to destroy them? It doesn't make sense not to offer them again, as people actually do still get into this line late, and people might want replacements, custom fodder, etc, over time. Just my opinion but it doesn't seem like a customer-friendly move to never offer these things again if you actually have them in stock.

Yeah, is that even LEGAL?
    It will be interesting when they get a bunch of reports filed with the Better Business Bureau.

Feedback Thread:

Find me on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Since when has toy collecting or the selling of products ever been about fairness?
    Heck, Life isn't fair...much less toy collecting, BUT I still look for it around every corner.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Well...I see what you're saying, but...
    If I go to a store and something is labeled wrong, 99% of the time, you'll get it for the price it was marked. It's the store/company's error...not the consumers.
    If the Grayskull was in stock I'd say let it ride and honor the price. It being an online preorder, though, it's a different story. I feel the mistake is obvious and no one should be upset. Otherwise, Mattel would be giving the middle finger to everyone who did the initial preorder in the first place. How do you think that would play out?

Heroic Warrior
    Well, based on that info, I'm going to eBay for the restof the figs I missed. Atleast now I won't have to keep checking on day of for re-issues.

Yeah, is that even LEGAL?
    It will be interesting when they get a bunch of reports filed with the Better Business Bureau.
    I have filed many reports with the BBB across my life, and nothing has ever been done in regards to BBB reports I have filed against MattyCollector. BBB is just a mediator. They can't make a company do anything.

Why is a preorder a different story? It is a sale that the buyer can't cancel.(on Matty)
    A sale is when there is an agreement to buy between 2 parties. The payment and delivery are obligations of the sale.
    Ergo, a preorder is a sale.

I was going to buy a castle in January. I felt lucky catching this sale for once, since I have all the other figures through my 2 subs every year.
    Now I will not buy the Castle. Ths leaves a negative taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; November 26, 2012 at 02:50pm.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    Why is a preorder a different story? It is a sale that the buyer can't cancel.(on Matty)
    A sale is when there is an agreement to buy between 2 parties. The payment and delivery are obligations of the sale.
    Ergo, a preorder is a sale.

This is really no different than when Sears incorrectly listed iPads at $69 a pop a year or so ago and then cancelled the orders. They'd only have to honor the price if they had already shipped you the item.

Matty is giving you the chance to either cancel your order or continue at the corrected price. I see no problem with this.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

But the price wasnt 50%. It was in line with the other sale items.
    If that is really the law in the US your laws suck big time.

It's a pre order system. This logic doesn't apply. This is exactly the fall out I predicted in the other thread. No one on the Org can claim ignorance, we all knew it was a mistake going in.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eterniandreams View Post
    But the price wasnt 50%. It was in line with the other sale items.
    If that is really the law in the US your laws suck big time.
    Doesn't matter if it was 50% or not, it was just a pricing error, website error, whatever you want to call it. Sure it sucks but at least they caught the mistake quickly to prevent further issues.

Here is an old article about the Sears incident and other companies who have ended up in the same boat:
    http://www.mainstreet.com/article/sm...or-price-flubs

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    It's a pre order system. This logic doesn't apply. This is exactly the fall out I predicted in the other thread. No one on the Org can claim ignorance, we all knew it was a mistake going in.
    I disagree. The discount was on all items. So lets agree to disagree.

One thing is for sure, i will not be buying the Castle anymore.

@Shadow. Thanks for the article. That would also be cancelled in the Netherlands. But we ace actual laws for reasonable errors like 20%
    Those have to be honoured.

Anyway, i am out and will ave a cup of tea with honey!
    To relax
    Last edited by Eterniandreams; November 26, 2012 at 03:03pm.

It's funny if you think the BBB will actually do anything, they won't.

The BBB doesn't really hold any kind of clout in the US, it's just for companies that have a good rating to brag about.
    Preternia - Cy-Chop Central!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    So if there's stock left over, are you just going to destroy them? It doesn't make sense not to offer them again, as people actually do still get into this line late, and people might want replacements, custom fodder, etc, over time. Just my opinion but it doesn't seem like a customer-friendly move to never offer these things again if you actually have them in stock.
    They will probably wind up at the Mattel stores or places like Ollies
    Gaping holes in my collection: Regular old Teela, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)