Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cyber Monday questions answered!

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    But of course, we also overlook the fact that Matty can't change or fix orders after you place them.... ...They have to charge us the full price and then refund the difference.
    Well, that's the limitation of Digital River's store software I'm guessing. I hope that new portal is up soon where the customer can make changes easily to their account, or at least have more control.

Can you not call Digital River up and change an order if you made a mistake when you placed it? that's what I've had to do with most online retailer. Either call or e-mail their customer service to correct a placed order mistake on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Well, that's the limitation of Digital River's store software I'm guessing. I hope that new portal is up soon where the customer can make changes easily to their account, or at least have more control.
    The problem is that they are offering to "fix" the discounted orders to the correct price. If they are able to do that, why can't they fix the ones with the overcharged shipping? I would guess that they aren't going to charge the discounted price and then do another charge for the extra on today's 15% off orders... So why are they doing the same sort of thing for the overcharged shipping ones (i.e. charging the inflated price and then refunding)?

Sallah

They had to go with the majority. The risk of possibility in loosing more orders than gaining them makes for a sound reasson.

That being said I do think it, like i said before buying the sub or preorder is a reasson to feel entiled to something. I didnt buy them so that only I and only people "like me" who bought bought the subs would have them. I think its great that other people are able to enjoy the line maybe/maybe not because of something I ALREADY WANTED. Sales happen ALL the time.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Sitting high upon the Eternian porcelain throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post
    They had to go with the majority. The risk of possibility in loosing more orders than gaining them makes for a sound reasson.
    Of course, when I'm at the store and an item rings up cheaper than it is supposed to, the store honors the price but they don't get on the intercom and announce "Hey, everybody, this dude just got 25% off something he wasn't supposed to, but we're fixing it so nobody else gets that discount!"

Matty could just keep silent that a few people got the discount and honor it. Instead they announce their mistakes to the frealkin world.

It was an honest mistake, which Mattel corrected, and offered to allow everyone to cancel their orders if they don't like the corrected price.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
    I don't know what the law states in the USA, but I know in Canada, whether or not there is an error, the sale must be honoured and it is the law. A lot of stores actually will give the item for free if there is an price discrepancy between what is rung up and the listed price. Good thing that matty is not in Canada.

Drewsky...
    Not actually true. Only in Quebec are there laws like this. In the rest of country there are federal price accuracy guidelines, but they are purely voluntary. Retailers are not forced to follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    If a sale seems to good to be true...

Again, so sorry for the confusion. We did our best with a difficult situation.
    Thanks for coming here and setting the record straight, Scott. I was only alerted to the incorrect price after all was said and done, but I can see why many are confused and frankly ****** off that they got shafted on the discount. That being said, as you indicated, a choice had to be made to keep the price the same for all who purchased or will purchase, and honestly that's the best call you could have made.

I can see why some jumped on that 15% off sale price, especially when several months ago a select few 'early birds' were able to get the monthly figures quicker than they should have do to yet another DR snafu. In fact, with their regular rate of screw-ups (billing, customer service, website, etc.) I'd say they're on track to be THE WORST 3rd party sales support company of 2012... if not the history of ever. Sorry to seem cynical, but DR really does suck.

Regardless of promises that things will improve with DR they continually screw up- both big and small. I acknowledge that by this point saying this is akin to wizzing into a rain storm, but DR really needs to be given the boot already.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

I better be able to cancel my discounted CG without issue. I bought one last month and picked up another today for my son to play with (AKA destroy). I will go nuts if DR charges me full retail twice.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    So because the DR had a mistake on it and they corrected it, it's unethical? It's not fair to get mad at them because you can no longer capitalize on an error. I know it's frustrating not to get those extra savings, but come on folks.

DR has made plenty of mistakes. But two wrongs don't make a right. The mistakes of the past shouldn't be used to validate one that was caught and corrected. Besides, think of all the fans who preordered as full price. It's not fair to them for new preorders to be discounted.
    Only problem is, a sale was made and agreed on by both sides, which is a contract; going back after the fact and saying, "Whoppsie, DR made another mistake" is actually illegal in a lot of states because of their "bait and switch" laws. I don't believe there is any federal law like this (never ran across one, anyway), but it does exist widely at the state level, so Mattel may well be breaking state laws here. I don't know if offering to cancel the order rather than upping the price meets legal standards in said states or not.

Of course, Mattel could avoid such dilemmas altogether by finding someone who knows how to actually run a website.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Of course, Mattel could avoid such dilemmas altogether by finding someone who knows how to actually run a website.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Digital River continues to be a disappointment. I still think this is because they are not a company that's set up for this kind of product and its sales/shipping needs.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Only problem is, a sale was made and agreed on by both sides, which is a contract; going back after the fact and saying, "Whoppsie, DR made another mistake" is actually illegal in a lot of states because of their "bait and switch" laws. I don't believe there is any federal law like this (never ran across one, anyway), but it does exist widely at the state level, so Mattel may well be breaking state laws here. I don't know if offering to cancel the order rather than upping the price meets legal standards in said states or not.

I am also wondering how these orders are really going to be handled... What if they aren't able to reach the customer? Do they cancel them or charge them the extra without clearing it first? I remember back when they messed up the Megator/ Man-E-Faces charges that they just went ahead and hit us with double-charges without checking to see if we were okay with their "method" first.

Oh...And if it is cancelled, given DR/ Matty's track record for botching even the simplest of tasks... Will it ACTUALLY get cancelled?

Sallah

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    One of the most disturbing trends as indicated in this thread is how certain members only pop on these forums when there is something to complain about regarding Toyguru/Matty.

Lord knows they deserve criticism for multiple issues, most noteworthy is the ongoing problematic customer service. Yet, it is also baffling how others continually stand up for their mistakes, some of which have been very poor decisions as it relates to customer relations. I STILL have not been refunded or contacted by customer service about a refund in shipping for Castle Grayskull. And I am STILL unhappy about their most recent charges screw-up over charging too little for October, then too much for November (and it baffles me how people on these boards stand up for this type of business practice).

All that said, I'm siding with Scott on this one. It was a mistake and people are complaining about not being to able to capitalize on a mistake; a mistake that utterly screamed "this is a mistake." Further, as stated by Scott and others, it's not fair to those who pre-ordered to support the castle and line at full price.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Robot Knights 2) Stridor 3) Night Stalker 4) Tung Lashor 5) Squeeeze 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back-half!) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 12) Saurod 13) Blast-Attak 14) Karg 15) Gwildor 16) Lodar 17) Mask of Power Demons

Quote Originally Posted by Fug-Lee-Faces View Post
    Of course, when I'm at the store and an item rings up cheaper than it is supposed to, the store honors the price but they don't get on the intercom and announce "Hey, everybody, this dude just got 25% off something he wasn't supposed to, but we're fixing it so nobody else gets that discount!"

Matty could just keep silent that a few people got the discount and honor it. Instead they announce their mistakes to the frealkin world.
    Riiiight but theres usually not an online forum.

I think Mattel would have kept the 15% discount had people not started talking it up and talking it down. The way it reads it was customers who brought it to Mattel's attention and not the other way around. I am sure it was also brought to Mattels attention in the same breath of how "unfair" it was.
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Also...I dont know alot of people who say....oh wait shouldnt you be charging me more for that. I know I dont!
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    One of the most disturbing trends as indicated in this thread is how certain members only pop on these forums when there is something to complain about regarding Toyguru/Matty.

Lord knows they deserve criticism for multiple issues, most noteworthy is the ongoing problematic customer service. Yet, it is also baffling how others continually stand up for their mistakes, some of which have been very poor decisions as it relates to customer relations. I STILL have not been refunded or contacted by customer service about a refund in shipping for Castle Grayskull. And I am STILL unhappy about their most recent charges screw-up over charging too little for October, then too much for November (and it baffles me how people on these boards stand up for this type of business practice).

All that said, I'm siding with Scott on this one. It was a mistake and people are complaining about not being to able to capitalize on a mistake; a mistake that utterly screamed "this is a mistake." Further, as stated by Scott and others, it's not fair to those who pre-ordered to support the castle and line at full price.
    I agree 100%

Heroic Warrior
    So, this is the 10.000th mistake made by Matty and DR. Totally unacceptable.

And from what TG said, the oldest figures won't be released ever again !? Great way to attract new customers, Toyguru. I guess you really want to sink this line... Now what about the guys who were waiting for a reissued Teela, for instance, and who won't be able to do that (except maybe on Ebay, where prices skyrocketted) ? I have a feeling more people will stop collecting, and sell their incomplete collection.

I'd say that it already smells bad for the 2014 sub... and by the way, I REALLY wonder whether there'll be a 2014 line at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post

And from what TG said, the oldest figures won't be released ever again !? Great way to attract new customers, Toyguru. I guess you really want to sink this line... Now what about the guys who were waiting for a reissued Teela, for instance, and who won't be able to do that (except maybe on Ebay, where prices skyrocketted) ? I have a feeling more people will stop collecting, and sell their incomplete collection.

I'd say that it already smells bad for the 2014 sub... and by the way, I REALLY wonder whether there'll be a 2014 line at all...
    Right as a business your in it to make money right???

I can't believe people weren't expecting the orders to be cancelled. This sort of pricing error happens frequently on websites and everyone knows the orders will be cancelled, but places them anyway on the off-chance they'll be honored. Yes, it was the latest in a line of mistakes, but it's far from the worst thing to have happened and, as I said, it's happened with other, larger online retailers (I can remember having a number of graphic novels being cancelled by Amazon a couple of years ago).

Heroic Warrior
    I'll be honest : I don't care about the business. I'm not a Mattel business man. Maybe if there were less businessmen and more toy lovers heading Mattel, we'd have better collections with better figures and better QC. Profit is not the only motor of the market. A business also needs to take RISKS from time to time... which Mattel stubbornly refuses to do. Too bad for 2014, I guess...

I'll be honest : I don't care about the business. I'm not a Mattel business man. Maybe if there were less businessmen and more toy lovers heading Mattel, we'd have better collections with better figures and better QC. Profit is not the only motor of the market. A business also needs to take RISKS from time to time... which Mattel stubbornly refuses to do. Too bad for 2014, I guess...
    You know what I don't get they think it's 2002 or 1987 again and if they increase production it wil "flood" the market and make it like that again...No it won't just like taking chance on getting it to retail where we know they won't EVER do again....

So they should continually produce older figures on the chance that enough people will still buy enough to justify a new run? What other toyline continually releases the exact same product for years? I wanted some older Marvel Legends I missed out on, and I hit ebay for them. Not once did it cross my mind that Hasbro should re-release them to please me.

They already have He-Man, Skeletor, and a bunch of others available year round.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    I can't believe people weren't expecting the orders to be cancelled. This sort of pricing error happens frequently on websites and everyone knows the orders will be cancelled, but places them anyway on the off-chance they'll be honored.
    Yeah, I was in the same boat. I saw a 2011 SDCC exclusive Starscream/Cobra Commander for sale on Amazon by a 3rd party for $5. I knew it was an error but I placed the order anyway just on the off chance I might be able to snag one. Predictably, the seller e-mailed me a few days later to state that the item was "out of stock". Oh, well.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    I can't believe people weren't expecting the orders to be cancelled. This sort of pricing error happens frequently on websites and everyone knows the orders will be cancelled, but places them anyway on the off-chance they'll be honored. Yes, it was the latest in a line of mistakes, but it's far from the worst thing to have happened and, as I said, it's happened with other, larger online retailers (I can remember having a number of graphic novels being cancelled by Amazon a couple of years ago).
    In this case though it is Cyber Monday... a day intended for online stores to do crazy promotions and discounts in an effort to boost sales. We were specifically told "Be sure you check in often on Monday November 26th because flash sales and special pricing will come and go and you never know what you might find!"... Is it really that hard to imagine them putting 15% off on Castle Grayskull for a limited time?

I don't think it is unreasonable for folks to believe that this might have been a real sale. Matty has proven that they have no problem selling things cheaper than what they initially sold them at to their loyal supporters (subscribers), so there is a track record to support them doing it again.

Sallah
    Last edited by Sallah; November 26, 2012 at 06:16pm.

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I remember when Super Smash Bros Brawl was released for the Wii, and Wal-Mart accidentally offered it for $5 on their website. I ordered one, and 24 hours later they cancelled my order stating it was a listing error on their website.

So yes, this does happen. Lots of business do it. It was an error.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Heroic Warrior
    Happens all the time. Heck, walk to any grocery store and you're bound to see a little piece of paper taped to the door alerting shoppers that such-and-such item listed for sale in the newspaper this week was an error.

I think TG and Mattel made the right call here. People (several who I think KNEW it was bound to happen - go look at the other threads, this was pretty much called ahead of time) tried to take advantage of a mistake and now they're lashing out about it.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Have people not realized by now that LOTS of businesses big and small can have pricing errors? Yes, it sucks that you almost got to 'stick it to the man' and get one over on them by getting something for a price you shouldn't have got it at and then were told something else.

"XXX wasn't discounted enough" "XXX didn't go on sale with everything else and I had to place 2 orders" etc.

BE HAPPY that you can get things for the same price if not cheaper than you could have got them for on e-bay.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!