Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cyber Monday questions answered!

Hey TG,

I don't know if you know about this, but there seems to be an order limit within a certain span of time. As I mentioned in another thread I can understand such a thing for DOS if you're trying to limit the amount of orders going out the door, but you can't set up a system like today and have it actually "work" with that policy.

I was shut down right as I was about to purchase Leech as I already hit the 6 order limit. I had a bunch of stuff that I was going to also purchase at the end, but because of this can no longer do so until things refresh, but of course it'll probably be too late at that point.

You guys gotta come up with a better system or increase the order limits on a day like today or else it simply doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly. Digital River continues to be a disappointment. I still think this is because they are not a company that's set up for this kind of product and its sales/shipping needs.
    According to other site feedback like for Microsoft products, DR is incapable of handling any product or service they come in contact with, except bad service, that they have down perfectly.
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Let's turn it down a couple notches and be more respectful towards each other. thanks.

Heroic Warrior
    I think in the end, the story here is that DR once again managed to tick off yet another section of a rapidly diminishing customer base. It's just unreal that this keeps happening...

I almost never reply to threads like this, mostly because I´m to lazy to read every post to get the full picture of a/the problem. This time however I did read all post... And as said in other posts I think people should relax and not have a meltdown every time a mistake is made... Did you guys really think Mattel would give a 15% discount on an item that just went on sale and was pre-ordered by hundreds of people for full price? C'mon, ofcourse not!
    Justice, Truth, Honor and Loyalty!

Visit my website for handmade Scenery, Statues & More! CUSTOMSCENERY.NL

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    So if there's stock left over, are you just going to destroy them? It doesn't make sense not to offer them again, as people actually do still get into this line late, and people might want replacements, custom fodder, etc, over time. Just my opinion but it doesn't seem like a customer-friendly move to never offer these things again if you actually have them in stock.
    Yeah, I kind of find this "eyebrow raising" as well. I know the discount error for Castle Grayskull has been the main hot-button issue being discussed in this thread (and understandably so), but that issue aside, I find some of the rest of what is said here to be a little questionable, particularly the part that I bolded:

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Hey gang,

I clarified a little over on Matty.com's forums but to reitterate some hot issues:

1: Due to an error, for a very limited time the CM discounts were being applied to Castle Grayskull preorders. We have corrected this and any orders placed this morning will be corrected to full price and those customers will be contacted and given option to cancel. No discouts apply to the Castle.

2: Selection is always best on the first day, prices often the best on the last day. Please keep this in mind. While we didn't have as many sell outs over the weekend, your best bet for the best selection is on day 1 of the sale

3: We do have a very tiny amount of CastleGraykull Man for sub holders and those who bought on Nov 15th. If you bought him on Black Friday you are only able to get a refund. No replacements.

4: This is definately last call on all the 30th figures. (Photog through CGM). They will never be offered again.

5: Pretty much all of our stock will be up today. If a fig is not up it is "most likely" he or she is gone for good. Their could be some exceptions, but since fans have been asking who is "gone for good" this should help. Also, come 2013 we will have VERY few day of older figures. We are looking to start 2013 with low inventory to make way for all the awesomeness coming through next year. If you want any older figures, today's sale will be one of your last chances (if not THE last) chance to get these figs. After that it is new figures and the few "evergreen" figs we still have left. These are also rapidly depleating.

Things can and do change, all prices, figures and availabilty subject to change (including everything noted above). But I wanted to advise on this in case anyone is on the fence on older figures, especially the 6 (now 5) 30th figures. If you want to add these awesome figs to your collection, head over to Mattycollector.com before 11:59 Pacific today.

Scott
    I mean no disrespect to Scott (I'm not one to "bash" him over every little thing, and I actually do feel for the guy being in a rough spot when issues occur and he gets the brunt of complaints on some things that he may have little to no control over), but all of this seems almost like a "veiled threat" to try to get people to buy as much product now as possible. I say that because there's all of this talk about items being gone for good, not offered again, etc, and the first thing stated after all of those points is that any and all of these things are "subject to change". So if suddenly a month, 6 months, or a year from now there's some big sale with a ton of old stock (including some items that are supposedly "gone for good" per what he said here), Mattel's "rear-end" is covered by this one statement.

Mind you, I wouldn't be upset if these items were to be available again if there is remaining stock. I agree with Whiplash7's point about wondering if these things will be destroyed if stock still remains. What gets me about this is why only put things up for a limited time just to take them down later even if they haven't sold out, requiring the remaining stock to still be stored indefinitely until when/if there is another sale? IMO any and all older items that they have left overs of (whether it's from lack of selling well or customer service stock that they've had for some time), why not just put it all up for sale and keep it up there all of the time until it runs out? I understand holding back customer service stock for newly released items, and maybe hanging onto it for 6 months to a year, but after that, why not put it up for sale? Frankly I think if they have any remaining stock for replacement of the subscription exclusive figures, even those should be put up for sale. I know some people (particularly some subscribers) might not like that idea, but this isn't newly produced stock that they created just to sell to the general public... it's already existing additional stock that they made to ensure that you (the subscriber) could get a replacement should the exclusive figure that you received be damaged or defective in some way. Now that plenty of time has passed and clearly further replacements are likely not needed, why not sell what remains and allow at least a few more fans to enjoy these figures since they already exist? (And I say all of this as a consistent subscriber who is caught up on all items in this line).

I seem to recall ToyGuru saying something similar during the black friday/ cyber monday sales last year about items not coming back again and how those kinds of deals likely won't happen again.... yet here many of them are this year. Can we just cut the veiled threats about items running out followed by the butt-covering disclaimer that protects the company in the (likely) event that something completely to the contrary happens down the road, and just make any and all "left over" stock of any items past a certain age available at all times for those who want them? Whether there's 5 of a figure left or 5,000, why not just let people order them at their leisure?
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; November 29, 2012 at 09:25am.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Yeah, I kind of find this "eyebrow raising" as well. I know the discount error for Castle Grayskull has been the main hot-button issue being discussed in this thread (and understandably so), but that issue aside, I find some of the rest of what is said here to be a little questionable, particularly the part that I bolded:

I mean no disrespect to Scott (I'm not one to "bash" him over every little thing, and I actually do feel for the guy being in a rough spot when issues occur and he gets the brunt of complaints on some things that he may have little to no control over), but all of this seems almost like a "veiled threat" to try to get people to buy as much product now as possible. I saw that because there's all of this talk about items being gone for good, not offered again, etc, and the first thing stated after all of this is that any and all of these things are "subject to change". So if suddenly a month, 6 months, or a year from now there's some big sale with a ton of old stock (including some items that are supposedly "gone for good" per what he said here), Mattel's "rear-end" is covered by this one statement.

Mind you, I wouldn't be upset if these items were to be available again if there is remaining stock. I agree with Whiplash7's point about wondering if these things will be destroyed if stock still remains. What gets me about this is why only put things up for a limited time just to take them down later even if they haven't sold out, requiring the remaining stock to still be stored indefinitely until when/if there is another sale? IMO any and all older items that they have left overs of (whether it's from lack of selling well or customer service stock that they've had for some time), why not just put it all up for sale and keep it up there all of the time until it runs out? I understand holding back customer service stock for newly released items, and maybe hanging onto it for 6 months to a year, but after that, why not put it up for sale? Frankly I think if they have any remaining stock for replacement of the subscription exclusive figures, even those should be put up for sale. I know some people (particularly some subscribers) might not like that idea, but this isn't newly produced stock that they created just to sell to the general public... it's already existing additional stock that they made to ensure that you (the subscriber) could get a replacement should the exclusive figure that you received be damaged or defective in some way. Now that plenty of time has passed and clearly further replacements are likely not needed, why not sell what remains and allow at least a few more fans to enjoy these figures since they already exist? (And I say all of this as a consistent subscriber who is caught up on all items in this line).

I seem to recall ToyGuru saying something similar during the black friday/ cyber monday sales about items not coming back again.... yet here many of them are this year. Can we just cut the veiled threats about items running out followed by the butt-covering disclaimer that protects the company in the (likely) event that something completely to the contrary happens down the road, and just make any and all "left over" stock of any items past a certain age available at all times for those who want them? Whether there's 5 of a figure left or 5,000, why not just let people order them at their leisure?
    DING DING DING!

What I don't get is that even the monthly sell-outs are questionable. But then they'll offer them at a discount on a Mad Matty or BF/CM sale. Why not just leave it up at full price until it actually sells out (leaving replacement stock).

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    DING DING DING!

What I don't get is that even the monthly sell-outs are questionable. But then they'll offer them at a discount on a Mad Matty or BF/CM sale. Why not just leave it up at full price until it actually sells out (leaving replacement stock).
    Well, this is a gray area. We know that they typically hold back some small amount of stock for replacements in the event of customer service issues (damages, defects, packages getting lost). In fact the problem that happened with people not getting Fisto was that they failed to hold back any stock for whatever reason, and he was completely wiped out (or so we have been told).

So, at least some of what is put up during these sales is left over customer service stock for figures that came out a long time ago. I can fully understand holding back that stock and not putting it all up on the initial sale date. But once a few months or a year goes by, and that left over stock become 'fodder' for these special sales, then why not just put them up on the site and leave them up all of the time until they fully sell out? Why only put them up for a limited time to pull them back down again?

Granted there seems to have been at least a few items that didn't even truly sell out of their intended "day of" stock that get pulled after a while. And in those cases, I agree, why not leave them up all of the time? If storing this stuff is such a problem, why not make it available all of the time until when/if it runs out? They can still discount any remaining items at their discretion during these special sales, but it should still be left up at normal price the rest of the time.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Heroic Warrior
    I'm glad they did not give a 15% discount for Grayskull since that would have been a slap in the face to all those who stepped up making the castle possible in the first place.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    [...] But once a few months or a year goes by, and that left over stock become 'fodder' for these special sales, then why not just put them up on the site and leave them up all of the time until they fully sell out? Why only put them up for a limited time to pull them back down again?

Granted there seems to have been at least a few items that didn't even truly sell out of their intended "day of" stock that get pulled after a while. And in those cases, I agree, why not leave them up all of the time? If storing this stuff is such a problem, why not make it available all of the time until when/if it runs out? They can still discount any remaining items at their discretion during these special sales, but it should still be left up at normal price the rest of the time.
    Matty's marketing strategy has always been about scare tactics and artificial scarcity. If some day they decided to "come clean" and leave their true stock available until it actually sells out, their whole marketing strategy would crumble. Not that such a manipulative approach is any advisable, but we all know that Matty's logic and common sense have very little in common.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by rewkee View Post
    I'm glad they did not give a 15% discount for Grayskull since that would have been a slap in the face to all those who stepped up making the castle possible in the first place.
    I disagree. I bought two before that at full price. And I was happy to see others being able to get one for a discount. Why not be happy for others instead of thinking solely of ourselves? Wouldnt that make the world a better place if we all did that? I even ordered two more Castles at that point. Of course, they went and canceled the supposed "all sales are final" contract binding purchase we made.... But that's Matty.
    But my point is... why not be happy for others? It too bad we have the attitude of... "If I cant have it, no one can".
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

Amazon does the same thing when there's a pricing error. Mattel is not special in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Amazon does the same thing when there's a pricing error. Mattel is not special in this regard.
    I hate Amazon too. jk
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:

Find me on Facebook!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Still doesn't make it right, or possibly even legal. A sale is a contract, and since Mattel made no note of having the right to cancel any sales it didn't like, they are on shaky ground. Now, something like cancelling a sale for lack of payment is one thing, as the other party did not fulfill their end of the agreement. But cancelling a sale because you fouled up on the price again may take us into territory many states have decided is illegal. It's like me agreeing to sell you a washing machine, and then backing out of the sale because I found someone who will pay more for it. I can say I made a mistake and didn't charge enough, and that's why I'm cancelling; that's the sort of chicanery some of these laws try to discourage.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by General Hawk 7 View Post
    I disagree. I bought two before that at full price. And I was happy to see others being able to get one for a discount. Why not be happy for others instead of thinking solely of ourselves? Wouldnt that make the world a better place if we all did that? I even ordered two more Castles at that point. Of course, they went and canceled the supposed "all sales are final" contract binding purchase we made.... But that's Matty.
    But my point is... why not be happy for others? It too bad we have the attitude of... "If I cant have it, no one can".
    I really wanted Grayskull to happen and this is why I didn't hesitate to order the castle right away. I could have waited with my preorder until January thinking "One less preorder before the deadline will not count anyway."
    Would I be happy for those who waited with their preorder until after the deadline? Well, let me tell you the anger of being punished with paying 38 dollars more for trying to make the Castle possible pretty much outweighs that happiness...

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Still doesn't make it right, or possibly even legal. A sale is a contract, and since Mattel made no note of having the right to cancel any sales it didn't like, they are on shaky ground. Now, something like cancelling a sale for lack of payment is one thing, as the other party did not fulfill their end of the agreement. But cancelling a sale because you fouled up on the price again may take us into territory many states have decided is illegal. It's like me agreeing to sell you a washing machine, and then backing out of the sale because I found someone who will pay more for it. I can say I made a mistake and didn't charge enough, and that's why I'm cancelling; that's the sort of chicanery some of these laws try to discourage.
    I think this is a bit more difficult. As far as I know is a randomly created e-mail confirmation not a firm acknowledgement for a company. It is just there to let you know that the company has received your will or your intention to buy this product. Mostly the shipment of the goods "seals" the contract.
    I might be mistaken of course.

I shudder to think what the reaction would be had they honored the discount.

Wow lots of venom on this thread - it's like the Snake Men took over the forum! I too ordered a CG before the deadline at full price for myself. I ordered another one at 15% off that was going to be a Xmas gift for my son next year. I was not going to pay nearly $300 for my son who will be 4 next year. I did decide to pull the trigger at 15% off and I did not feel like I was taking advantage of any mistakes when I placed my order. I actually thought the discount was legitimate. I won't be buying a second one for my son now since this one was cancelled.
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Personally I have images of the sky falling, cats and dogs living together, and mass hysteria in my mind. Yeah... it wouldn't be pretty. And in the end I know that Scott made the right decision in nixing that inadvertent discount- as vexing as it is for fans.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

No kidding...but even if they did, it wouldn't really be any different than someone buying something when it first comes out and then somebody else getting that same item at a discounted price later on.

I purchased a Christmas gift early so that I knew it would get here on time (due to it not being a major company) and it went on sale on Black Friday...I didn't get all up in arms because I didn't wait the additional week to order.

Quote Originally Posted by Melfis View Post
    I think this is a bit more difficult. As far as I know is a randomly created e-mail confirmation not a firm acknowledgement for a company. It is just there to let you know that the company has received your will or your intention to buy this product. Mostly the shipment of the goods "seals" the contract.
    I might be mistaken of course.
    Actually, according to my Business Law professor, she explained (warned us rather) that emails are sustainable confirmations of contract in court.

Not that anyone is going to take Mattel to court over this, of course...and so they can "do what they want". (by that I simply mean setting their own rules) In the end of it, when there is no accountability, one can do whatever one wishes. (And for the record, I am not saying that Mattel is trying to do anything illegal deliberately.)

Anyway, agree with the decision or not, is not my point... I am just clarifying that an email confirmation is a binding contract in court of U.S. law.

But again, no one is going to do anything about it of course, (it wouldnt be worth it) so it doesn't matter what they (or Amazon, or whoever) do, legal or otherwise, they can do basically whatever they want and its just the way its going to be.

Yes, its sad when people dont have the "spirit of giving" enough to just be happy for those that get a good deal. We would have heard a lot of complaints Im sure. I get the same thing from my kids. "That's not fair! HE got...". Too bad we couldn't all just be happy for one another, eh? I try to teach them that.
    And besides..."Life isn't fair...anyone who tries to tell you otherwise is selling you something." -Princess Bride

Also...just something I've noticed.
    I don't celebrate X-Mas...but people always talk about the "spirit of giving" and its always seems funny to me to see just the opposite from people...especially during this "holiday of giving". People trampling over each other to get a toy from TRU, or people being angry that they didnt get some deal that others got on something, or fighting for a place in line to get said something. So when I hear people talk about "the holiday spirit" or "the spirit of giving" it just seems hypocritical to the statements when you see how people act when someone else gets something they want. (NOT calling anyone a hypocrite, just saying that the statements of "giving" contradict the prevalent opposite attitudes)
    "If I cant have it, no one should because its not fair!" Where is this "spirit of giving" in this type of attitude?

And just sort of stuck me as funny... It seems like I remember an episode of GI Joe or Transformers when I was a kid where either Cobra Commander or Megatron (its the statement that stuck with me, not the toon apparently) said that, "If I can't have it... No one can!" Heck, maybe it was even Skeletor?
    Last edited by General Hawk 7; November 29, 2012 at 03:49pm.

Feedback Thread:

Find me on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by General Hawk 7 View Post
    Not that anyone is going to take Mattel to court over this, of course...and so they can get away with it.
    Exactly! Nobody is going to take the time and pay the money to take Mattel to court over this, so they can dictate the terms.