Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Ng Artwork of MOTU Heroes and Villains

It would be fantastic to get one of these as a gift with the CG pre-order, instead of a poster of all the figs that most of us already have on our shelves.

Heroic Warrior Fighting Foe Man's Avatar
    Wonderful, simply wonderful! The poses are great, and the characters look like the awesome characters that made me go crazy over this brand. Fantastic job all around! I would love a MOTU book done by this amazing artist, it would be quite epic.
    "Bei der macht von Grayskull, Ich habe die Zauberkraft!"

-World's #1 Goat Man Fan- NastyNate's Avatar
    I LOVE me some UDON and Joe Ng artwork. The Street Fighter stuff you guys put out was EPIC. I met most of the crew a while back when Chicago Comic Con was called Wizard World Chicago
    I cant stop looking at that evil warrior spread, TRULY AMAZING work.
    Goat Man is the MOTUC 2014 Traveling Con Exclusive! Im officially the happiest boy in the whole world.

Heroic Warrior
    Loving ram man, I wish his helmet was like that on the figure

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Proof that you don't need to "DCNU" the MOTU characters to have them look extraordinarily cool; you just need a talented artist with a great sense of structure and design. All this adding chain mail or useless piping and trim simply covers up for artists who are weak on both of those counts (hello, Jim Lee). Real detail rather than meaningless hash lines is what we're seeing here, and it makes all the difference.

This stuff is great, and I would take a poster with either of these images over the checklist any time.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I like the hero one a bit more than the villain one, but I must say He-man's hair (like the toy's) is ridiculous. I'm not quite sure why Mattel has taken such a strong stance against He-Man having natural looking hair, but I bet the marketing geniuses there have something to do with it.

"It has to look terrible because the old toy had a rotocast head and because of that limitation people expect He-Man's hair to look like crap!"

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Proof that you don't need to "DCNU" the MOTU characters to have them look extraordinarily cool; you just need a talented artist with a great sense of structure and design. All this adding chain mail or useless piping and trim simply covers up for artists who are weak on both of those counts (hello, Jim Lee). Real detail rather than meaningless hash lines is what we're seeing here, and it makes all the difference.
    Jim Lee is still one of the best artists in the comic industry when it comes to anatomy and structure. His current DC designs may be a bit rushed and have too many generic greebles, but I don't think any of them are actually bad. I think these are fun images sure, but they are essentially just drawings of the Classics toy designs. I guess I've never been a fan of simplistic designs (except for animation) and these really only work on a nostalgic level for me. If I was a newcomer that didn't know what MOTU was and I saw these on a comic cover I would probably pass it up. So I guess I agree with DCs decisions to update the look of the MOTU characters in their books (esecially in regard to minimizing the look of shared parts the toys have) even though in general I don't like the redesigns they came up with.
    Last edited by Battle_Brak; November 30, 2012 at 11:49am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Ironically, last year fans were split on a UDON artist's take on MOTU (Alvin Lee). After a year of DC's redesigns, another UDON artist's pics are a breath of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    But you are already a fan of those characters. DC and Jim Lee was trying to attract that kid who liked Batman Begins, but doesn't read comics.

I don't think the needless lines and elements was a cover-up for artistic weakness. I think it was supposed to attract new readers who think battle armor and uniforms is cooler than generic superhero spandex. The alot of the NU 52 seemed to try to answer old "criticisms" about the costumes, from Superman and Batman's "underwear" to Wonder Woman wearing a "bathing suit" or "stripper costume". Heck, even Power Girl lost her boob size and cleavage window.

Yeah, Superman wearing battle armor...

Anyhow, someone raised a very interesting question...who is this series really for? Is this series supposed to re-introduce MOTU as a grown up re-imagining for the nostalgic fans who grew up or is it to introduce new fans to MOTU?
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; November 30, 2012 at 03:09pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    I like the hero one a bit more than the villain one, but I must say He-man's hair (like the toy's) is ridiculous. I'm not quite sure why Mattel has taken such a strong stance against He-Man having natural looking hair, but I bet the marketing geniuses there have something to do with it.

"It has to look terrible because the old toy had a rotocast head and because of that limitation people expect He-Man's hair to look like crap!"

Jim Lee is still one of the best artists in the comic industry when it comes to anatomy and structure. His current DC designs may be a bit rushed and have too many generic greebles, but I don't think any of them are actually bad. I think these are fun images sure, but they are essentially just drawings of the Classics toy designs. I guess I've never been a fan of simplistic designs (except for animation) and these really only work on a nostalgic level for me. If I was a newcomer that didn't know what MOTU was and I saw these on a comic cover I would probably pass it up. So I guess I agree with DCs decisions to update the look of the MOTU characters in their books (esecially in regard to minimizing the look of shared parts the toys have) even though in general I don't like the redesigns they came up with.
    Someone said of Jim Lee, "he's an excellent artist, but a terrible designer" I can understand that sentiment. though the batman redesign isn't too bad.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Someone said of Jim Lee, "he's an excellent artist, but a terrible designer" I can understand that sentiment. though the batman redesign isn't too bad.
    I dunno...look at the 90's X-Men costumes. That was the gold standard for almost a decade before the X-Men movie and Grant Morrison. Hell, everyone from Youngblood to the Avengers started looking like the X-Men.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)