Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Hemsworth: “I Can’t Play He-Man”

I can’t think of anything worse than casting a wrestler or body builder. A modern audience wouldn’t take that seriously. Maybe in the 80s with the whole pumping iron stuff, but not anymore. You will never see a wrestler (apart from proven “stars” like the Rock who can actually act) or a body builder fronting a big budget studio film anymore. And thank god for it! It would immediately give off an odour of cheese that the film would never be able to shake off. It would be more damaging to the film than anything else. There are plenty of actual actors who can fit the bill. He-Man doesn’t need to be monstrously big with a 24-pack like the original toy.
    Last edited by Krueger; November 28, 2012 at 12:40pm.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    He-Man doesn’t need to be monstrously big with a 24-pack like the original toy.
    Then he wouldn't be He-Man!

I agree, that getting a non-actor would cheese it up, but the character's name is He-Man, and his gimmick is that he's a masculine guy that fights against evil, and his enemy has a skeleton face. This is why an animated movie would fit better than live action.

Who wants a weakling playing He-Man? I remember back when the original film came out, that Dolph Lundren looked puny compared to the He-Man we grew up with the toys and cartoon. This is because Mattel (as Roger Sweet stated), wanted to make Schwazenegger look like a wimp when designing He-Man. Take away the muscles, and you take away the identity.

I can’t think of anything worse than casting a wrestler or body builder. A modern audience wouldn’t take that seriously. Maybe in the 80s with the whole pumping iron stuff, but not anymore. You will never see a wrestler (apart from proven “stars” like the Rock who can actually act) or a body builder fronting a big budget studio film anymore. And thank god for it! It would immediately give off an odour of cheese that the film would never be able to shake off. It would be more damaging to the film than anything else. There are plenty of actual actors who can fit the bill. He-Man doesn’t need to be monstrously big with a 24-pack like the original toy.
    Totally agreed.
    "A female He-Man. Ooh oh. This is the worst day of my life."

I agree with chris in that the roles are similar and its not a good role for him now, though he would be good. plus his marvel schedule is crazy so good luck fitting it in with his Thor , avengers and huntsman contracts. I think Magic mike is the name, director connection , not a bad actor at all (given alot of **** for GIJoe, but its a risky performance that didn't work, he is playing it straight military in an over the top movie, thats a lot on the director for not seeing that )

I'd cast my vote for Clay Matthews as He-Man. He is a beast.

When it comes to Chris Hemsworth he is already playing the original in Thor, a role that is quite honestly better than He-Man, offers more opportunities and is a proven commodity. It would be like Daniel Craig going from playing James Bond to Jason Bourne. Yes, a cool character but not on the level of the original.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvulis View Post
    He-man should be played by Dolph Ziggler and Dwayne Johnson for Skeletor !
    Big Show as megator and The Great Khali as Tytus.

He's right. They are the same character. Not a day that goes by that I totally confuse the Norse G*d of thunder and an Eternian prince who lofts a magical sword and says a magical phrase to become a super strong barbarian.

Good call Chris.

By that was sarcasm.

If he didn't want to do it or not interested or even really know about the toy line and it's history just say so. Don't give us that week arse comment.

I don't think you should take what he said personally. He didn't demean MOTU at all. He's right. No actor likes to be typecast. He didn't say that, but I'm sure that's what was going through his mind.

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    very shame if Chris Hemsworth doestn want to play He-man. As I already said that in another post, that would have been perfect if him and his brother play respectively he-man and prince adam. They are bro, so they look like perfectly, but Liam is a little bit younger and less muscular, so like in 200x cartoon that could be a great choice...
    very very shame...
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED :

>>>>> Canadian He-man/Teela/Ramman <<<<<
    >>>>> Canadian Skeletor/Faker/Beastman <<<<<

Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    This is Jason Momoa as Conan compared to Ah-nuld all over again!

A character like He-Man would need presence that a smaller actor couldn't bring, much like Ah-nuld brought to the Terminator and Conan despite his body building roots. I've always thought the most powerful man in the universe should look physically powerful.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    He's right. They are the same character. Not a day that goes by that I totally confuse the Norse G*d of thunder and an Eternian prince who lofts a magical sword and says a magical phrase to become a super strong barbarian.

Good call Chris.

By that was sarcasm.

If he didn't want to do it or not interested or even really know about the toy line and it's history just say so. Don't give us that week arse comment.
    I don't think it's weak...

A weak blond guy transforms into a ripped mega strong blond warrior with a magic weapon who defends his magical fantasy realm from evil? Both heroes have daddy issues (for different reasons) and a evil family member wants to rule the realm? Potential warrior goddess love interest?

Thor and He-Man have a bunch of similarities.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    This is Jason Momoa as Conan compared to Ah-nuld all over again!

A character like He-Man would need presence that a smaller actor couldn't bring, much like Ah-nuld brought to the Terminator and Conan despite his body building roots. I've always thought the most powerful man in the universe should look physically powerful.
    This is so true. Arnie was what ruined the Conan movies. Being just a bodybuilder, he was stiff, constantly posing for the camera, and had (to be fair, still does) the acting talent of a 2x4. Momoa had the best of all worlds with his barbarian physique to bring the screen presence, athleticism, and actual acting talent.

Arnie's qualities were perfect for the Terminator though. They were two awesome films.

I can total understand and respect Hemsworth's decision considering the circumstances. I'm sure Disney / Marvel has got him locked into Thor for the foreseeable future anyway and as much as we want, you got to understand an actor (who wants to truly act) needs to diversify his palette in order to survive in the industry. Yeah it's sad, but it's too close a call! Maybe if MOTU had a large budget, bribery would've prevailed...

This will be one of the major issues with this movie cause the hunt is going to be a long one.... Compromises will have to be made on some level cause we will want an actor who can bring this role to life; but we will have to ask ourselves in which way? Visually or dramatically? And boy, this will seem to be the question probably even longer than it took to get this project greenlit.

IMO on the Chris Evans comparison: Fantastic Four came out way before Avengers and if you noticed Evans was able to morph his body just enough (along with age and some acting ability) to give you 2 different persona's. And believe me I wasn't thrilled when he was originally selected but he pulled off a decent Cap. Hemsworth would be doing these in conjuncture, so for many it's hard to create that separation of product and character.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

To stay on topic:

I´m glad Chris Hemsworth is NOT planning on becoming the actor who tries to portrait He-Man.

Maybe he looks the part, which is debatable... but his voice, this monotone constant rasping fake baritone makes me uncomfortable and he never made me like any of the characters he portrait.

I want to like He-Man. He-Man is great guy everyone wants to hang out with (and i´m not talking about MYP 200X version of Prince Adam, now he was a whining "what´s with me"-teen) maybe except Skeletor, i´m not so sure he wants to spent that much time with He-Man

I don´t know any actor who could do He-Man and Adam justice, i am sure he is out there but i know Chris Hemsworth is not that guy, at least not for me.
    Last edited by Niki; November 29, 2012 at 02:47pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I always thought he would make a damned good Adam/He-Man.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I think I should play He-man. I can put some lifts in my furry boots and they can CGI my body.

I swear if Tatum going to be the lead actor for this movie? It's going to be the next "Sword and Sorcery" with Twilight style.

and it's going to be an internet meme: Still a better Fantasy story than Motu.
    Our ancestor are praying for the wealthy of his generation, Many has come and we will wait for more.
    "I know what it's like to lose someone you love" - Through Her Eyes Dream Theater.

Death is inevitable, death will keep his promise to greet you in the after life.
    And god will keep his promise to judge you right or wrong. Then your soul will be there forever after.

I think it would not be fair to the franchise if Hemsworth plays He-Man. He is already most recognized as Thor, the He-Man character would be over-shadowed by Thor if Hemsworth played him. I think an unknown would be the better choice. Someone we haven't seen before. Oh, I'd like him to be tall, at least 6'3" to 6'5". Anyone taller would be pushing it. When it comes to the transformation from Adam to He-Man I really liked what they did with Chris Evans in Captain America. It looked natural and could work for Adam .
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Big Show as megator and The Great Khali as Tytus.

Good call Chris.

By that was sarcasm.

To you and I they may be different but to the general public who don't know all that much about MOTU I think they would seem very similar. There are quite a few similarities anyway to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    To you and I they may be different but to the general public who don't know all that much about MOTU I think they would seem very similar. There are quite a few similarities anyway to begin with.
    Agreed and sealed.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

i did not had any interest in see the conan new movie once i saw the trailer, when i saw that skinny guy playing conan i said what the f..., i never gave that movie a chance because for me conan was huge and Conan was Arnold on that time and for me thats the image for conan.
    now i can say i would not accept that the most powerful man in the world could be a skinny guy, for me He-man must be at least a guy like the one who played thor, not less, i dont even care the face than much, but at least a muscular guy that looks strong, i used to do bodybuilding, and i used to follow all the mr olympia competitions, now i see those guys too big for become He-man, so if someone like Hemsworth play the role im more than happy, but please no less.
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    I swear on Grayskull's grave if Tatum plays He-Man I will give up on this thing before it starts.
    Amen to that.

I can’t think of anything worse than casting a wrestler
    And to that.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I think Channing Tatum is a great candidate, he is very popular right now + connection with jon chu .

I'm sure if Duke dies in GI Joe Retaliaton ,channing tatum will play He-Man .
    If thats who they cast... That would suck really bad.

OMG Channin Tatum no thanks, Chris hemsworth is 100 times better than him and I wouldnt want him either. As an actor why would he want to play He man anyways, He already does. 1 super strong dude with a magical weapon should be enough for any actor that doesnt want his entire career to evolve around that typecast. kellen lutz<--Sp? would be a smart choice simply because of his fan base. As far as He-man being huge its called CG people anyone with half a bod can be he man now. Whoever gets the role just needs to fit He-man traits because a smirking "aren't I cool?" he man just wont do.

That Jesse guy looks awsome for the part I showed my wife and got instant approval based just on sex appeal (which is important for the movie) but God he better be able to pull off he man or else.....
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

My partner, who other than watching my super hero movies with me and politely commenting on my MOTUC figs, has no real passion or knowledge of the comic/cartoon world. Upon watching "Thor," he said "Um, wasn't that basically just a remake of that old He-Man movie?"...so, yeah, I can see where Mr. Hemsworth is coming from.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Come on, just write a couple of extra zero's on that check and get Chris Hemsworth signed on!

With the right script, character development, and settings, those "similarities" will be all but forgotten.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dark knight View Post
    i did not had any interest in see the conan new movie once i saw the trailer, when i saw that skinny guy playing conan i said what the f..., i never gave that movie a chance because for me conan was huge and Conan was Arnold on that time and for me thats the image for conan.
    now i can say i would not accept that the most powerful man in the world could be a skinny guy, for me He-man must be at least a guy like the one who played thor, not less, i dont even care the face than much, but at least a muscular guy that looks strong, i used to do bodybuilding, and i used to follow all the mr olympia competitions, now i see those guys too big for become He-man, so if someone like Hemsworth play the role im more than happy, but please no less.
    Skinny? Jason Momoa was not skinny in Conan. He was athletic and nicely built. He just wasn't a super roided out looking barbarian meat head. Skinny? Ha.

Now as for Hemsworth. He would not be my first choice, but he would rises above many of the suggestions I've seen tossed around here. I'm sure if the paycheck was big enough, he'd quickly forget any feelings of being type cast and pick up the sword.
    I just looked at various photos of Chris from different angles, and he's the best choice so far, with one exception, Jesse Palveka, who most likely cannot act his way through a Froot Loops commercial.

I can’t think of anything worse than casting a wrestler or body builder. A modern audience wouldn’t take that seriously.
    I agree with you, but I can think of worse... there is alllllllllllllllllllllllllwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays worse.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; December 2, 2012 at 02:35am.